/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Eye Floaters?

CosmicPathos
02-26-2010, 02:58 AM
:sl:

How many of you have eye floaters? Were you born with them? Or did you begin noticing them later in your life?

If you do not know what I am talking about, please have a quick read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floater

Most probably, I was born with eye floaters. My earliest memory of seeing them goes back to when I was 5-6 years old? I would play with em and move my eyes up and down and follow them.

But of course childhood is the age of folly. I am realizing that whenever my eyes are stressed and I have not slept enough in a while, I begin to notice them more. My brain stops ignoring them as it normally does ignore them in normal situations. It can get on your nerves.

Seems there is no treatment for this so far. So just wanted to see if any of you guys have them. And if you do then how do you deal with these cobwebs covering your eyes. Fog on your eyes if you will.

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
02-26-2010, 03:10 AM
I got em about 5~6 some connected in squiggles..

:w:

CosmicPathos
02-26-2010, 03:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
I got em about 5~6 some connected in squiggles..

in both eyes or just one?

جوري
02-26-2010, 03:21 AM
both.. .....................

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
CosmicPathos
02-26-2010, 03:23 AM
any way to eliminate these once and for all? I do not know much about eye's physiology but I thought vitreous humour is continuously replenished? If it is then why dont these crystals get removed through the recycling humour?

جوري
02-26-2010, 03:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
any way to eliminate these once and for all? I do not know much about eye's physiology but I thought vitreous humour is continuously replenished? If it is then why dont these crystals get removed through the recycling humour?
If you'll excuse the terms, the eye is sort of like testicles loculated away from the rest of the body as such you don't get many immune modulators there to remove or encase foreign objects.. if they are large enough they can be removed by the doctor, if not you simply live with them.. now pls understand that I have done no more than a weeks worth of ocular pathology in med school and I didn't do any electives in that field thereafter (though I digress I wish I had substituted my ID elective with either radiology or ophthalmology instead I wasted a month shadowing humpty dumpty that is what I call that moron of a preceptor and learned nothing ) so I don't know anything about the eye save for basic physio/histo and path.. however, simply applying the fundamental principles I drew the conclusion you read above.. as such if you really want to know the latest greatest in eye care, you'll have to discuss it with an ophthalmologist :D:embarrass

CosmicPathos
02-26-2010, 03:39 AM
If you'll excuse the terms, the eye is sort of like testicles loculated away from the rest of the body as such you don't get many immune modulators there to remove or encase foreign objects.. if they are large enough they can be removed by the doctor, if not you simply live with them.. now pls understand that I have done no more than a weeks worth of ocular pathology in med school and I didn't do any electives in that field thereafter (though I digress I wish I had substituted my ID elective with either radiology or ophthalmology instead I wasted a month shadowing humpty dumpty that is what I call that moron of a preceptor and learned nothing ) so I don't know anything about the eye save for basic physio/histo and path.. however, simply applying the fundamental principles I drew the conclusion you read above.. as such if you really want to know the latest greatest in eye care, you'll have to discuss it with an ophthalmologist :D:embarrass

hmm. if eye was that isolated from leukocytes flowing into it, why would we get conjunctivitis, retinitis etc so easily? hmmm Or is it because the cells do not get to swim into the humour? I guess they do not leave the capillaries ...

جوري
02-26-2010, 03:47 AM
hmm. if eye was that isolated from leukocytes flowing into it, why would we get conjunctivitis, retinitis etc so easily? hmmm Or is it because the cells do not get to swim into the humour? I guess they do not leave the capillaries ...
let me consult Harrison and get to you in a few..

Italianguy
02-26-2010, 03:58 AM
I was told it is nothing to worry about? I was also told it is either small particles of dust, and or stress related spots. I used to get it all the time, ut I had the laser eye surgery and now have perfect vision in one eye:D The cornea in my other eye wash samashed so i can barely see out of it, but no floaters now. ....don't know if this helps any?

جوري
02-26-2010, 04:02 AM
I couldn't find anything in Harrison but I could on wiki on the The blood-ocular barrier is a barrier created by endothelium of capillaries of the retina and iris, ciliary epithelium and retinal pigment epithelium. It controls the passage of substances from the blood into the eye. It is a physical barrier between the local blood vessels and most parts of the eye itself, and stops many substances from traveling across it. The blood-ocular barrier normally keeps most drugs out of the eye. Inflammation can break down this barrier allowing drugs and large molecules to penetrate into the eye. As the inflammation subsides, this barrier usually returns.

so generally of things are introduced from the outside as opposed to systemically they simply just lay there in your eye without a massive hunt from the rest of the body..

again, I remind you my knowledge of ophthalmology is limited..

and Allah swt knows best

CosmicPathos
02-26-2010, 04:14 AM
I couldn't find anything in Harrison but I could on wiki on the The blood-ocular barrier is a barrier created by endothelium of capillaries of the retina and iris, ciliary epithelium and retinal pigment epithelium. It controls the passage of substances from the blood into the eye. It is a physical barrier between the local blood vessels and most parts of the eye itself, and stops many substances from traveling across it. The blood-ocular barrier normally keeps most drugs out of the eye. Inflammation can break down this barrier allowing drugs and large molecules to penetrate into the eye. As the inflammation subsides, this barrier usually returns.

so generally of things are introduced from the outside as opposed to systemically they simply just lay there in your eye without a massive hunt from the rest of the body..

again, I remind you my knowledge of ophthalmology is limited..

and Allah swt knows best

jazakAllah for making an effort.

CosmicPathos
02-26-2010, 04:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
I was told it is nothing to worry about? I was also told it is either small particles of dust, and or stress related spots. I used to get it all the time, ut I had the laser eye surgery and now have perfect vision in one eye:D The cornea in my other eye wash samashed so i can barely see out of it, but no floaters now. ....don't know if this helps any?
Did you get corrective laser surgery? But does not that just cut away your cornea so that vision be corrected as cornea refracts light too, so lesser the width of cornea, lesser will be the light refracted. How would reducing corneal width effect floaters? hmmm

جوري
02-26-2010, 04:25 AM
Did you get corrective laser surgery? But does not that just cut away your cornea so that vision be corrected as cornea refracts light too, so lesser the width of cornea, lesser will be the light refracted. How would reducing corneal width effect floaters? hmmm
My ophthalmologist whom I love and trust very much and probably the only doctor who isn't a colleague or a friend that I fully trust, didn't recommend laser surgery.. so I refrained.. though many of my family members had laser surgery, I prefer my poor eye sight.. I'll ask my br. when he comes over insha'Allah if the procedure reduced his other problems..

other than word of mouth I really don't know.. I think you need to address them to your doctor... I can recommend Dr. Janet L. Roen, if you are ever in the NY area..
she has been treating me since I was a little girl.. I adore her..:shade:

Italianguy
02-26-2010, 04:27 AM
Did you get corrective laser surgery? But does not that just cut away your cornea so that vision be corrected as cornea refracts light too, so less the width of cornea, less will be the light refracted. How would reducing corneal width effect floaters? hmmm
Well i am not sure that the floaters went away in direct relation to the surgery, but i was told that certain floaters like black spots with a white ring around it as well as just white and black flaoter spots are normlly caused by stress in the eye's. Like for example i would get them sometimes after being on the computer for 8 hours straight or when conducting heavy physical work loads.

I sometimes get the floaties that look like...ummm ...worms or trash, like it's floating on the liquid that protects the eye or something?

The surgery was done quickly, i don't now the whole precedure....I don't ask questions...but he didn't use a blade to cut the cornea, it was all done by laser in less than 32 seconds for both eyes! Amazing difference though. The eye that got smashed in the subway a couple years back is much better now. He fixed or eliminated some old scar tissue that cleared it up for me, a little. I still have to wear a full eye protector (a contact that is tinted, and covers the entire eye) I hate those things...if you think regular lenses are bad...try the ones that cover the entire eye, and they cause head aches because the eye can't...fully breath so-to speak.

But it's an iprovement, I used to only be able to see light and obects in motion but extremely blurry, Now I can actually see out of it....somewhat..

He told me my eye's would be less stressed because the eye muscles don't have to work as hard...if you get what i'm saying, thus eliminating some of the spotting i used to get.....or he could have been BSing?

Italianguy
02-26-2010, 04:32 AM
My ophthalmologist whom I love and trust very much and probably the only doctor who isn't a colleague or a friend that I fully trust, didn't recommend laser surgery.. so I refrained.. though many of my family members had laser surgery, I prefer my poor eye sight.. I'll ask my br. when he comes over insha'Allah if the procedure reduced his other problems..

other than word of mouth I really don't know.. I think you need to address them to your doctor... I can recommend Dr. Janet L. Roen, if you are ever in the NY area..
she has been treating me since I was a little girl.. I adore her..:shade:
I can't speak for everyone, but i highly recomend the surgery. Although somewhat expensive....and scary, it has deffinetley improved my vision. I got it done for my wife too and she has perfect vision and loves it.:D I have heard horror stories of people comming out blind:skeleton: from surgery or getting worse vision than started with, but it's rare. Just find a reputable surgeon.

Alpha Dude
02-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Wa alaykum salam,
Most probably, I was born with eye floaters. My earliest memory of seeing them goes back to when I was 5-6 years old? I would play with em and move my eyes up and down and follow them.
Same. I thought I was unique. :X

Again, both eyes. Snake-like little critters.

HAWA*~
03-03-2010, 01:15 AM
are these the same things you get when you look at light for a long time? Because I see those squiggly things but only when I look at light.

Italianguy
03-03-2010, 01:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HAWA*~
are these the same things you get when you look at light for a long time? Because I see those squiggly things but only when I look at light.
LOL, we're talking about eyes and I just saw an add on this forum for Lasik eye surgery;D I had it, it's great!

I think they are already there? Your just able to see it from the refraction of light from the back of your eye....like a shadow i think?

HAWA*~
03-03-2010, 01:35 AM
LOL, we're talking about eyes and I just saw an add on this forum for Lasik eye surgery;D I had it, it's great!
I'm too afraid to get lazer eye surgery i'll stick to contacts.

I think they are already there? Your just able to see it from the refraction of light from the back of your eye....like a shadow i think?

Maybe, they are different colours and everything. I assumed everybody could see them.

Italianguy
03-03-2010, 01:42 AM
I'm too afraid to get lazer eye surgery i'll stick to contacts.

Maybe, they are different colours and everything. I assumed everybody could see them.
You should really check into it if your vision is bad enough. I was scared out of my mind that morning but the surgery took only like 28 seconds for both eyes! Awesome.

HAWA*~
03-03-2010, 01:47 AM
My teacher wanted to get laser surgery and when he went to the doctor to get it the doctor was wearing glasses. when my teacher asked why the doctor did not take advantage of the technology the doctor said he did not want to take the chance. That speaks volumes and I am a coward when it comes to any type of surgery.
Anyways have you suffered any side effects from the surgery? like sensitivity.

Italianguy
03-03-2010, 01:52 AM
My teacher wanted to get laser surgery and when he went to the doctor to get it the doctor was wearing glasses. when my teacher asked why the doctor did not take advantage of the technology the doctor said he did not want to take the chance. That speaks volumes and I am a coward when it comes to any type of surgery.
Anyways have you suffered any side effects from the surgery? like sensitivity.
Well, you want to find a reputable surgeon, the one I used is very well known where i live. No side effects at all. But keep in mind one of my eyes is damaged from an incident that happened a while back.

HAWA*~
03-03-2010, 02:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
Well, you want to find a reputable surgeon, the one I used is very well known where i live. No side effects at all. But keep in mind one of my eyes is damaged from an incident that happened a while back.
Alhamdulilah that it turned out well for you, maybe i'll look into it.

Italianguy
03-03-2010, 02:11 AM
Alhamdulilah that it turned out well for you, maybe i'll look into it.
It did. You should. God bless.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!