/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Brick Lane arches plan criticised by residents

Uthman
02-26-2010, 06:25 PM
A plan to install headscarf-shaped arches at both ends of east London's Brick Lane has been criticised by local artists and residents.

The arches are part of a £1.85m "cultural trail" proposed by Tower Hamlets Council for the street.

But local residents, including artist Tracey Emin, have said the plans are culturally insensitive.

They say the design is similar to a Muslim hijab, rather than representing the area's diverse communities.

Tower Hamlets Council said the £1.85m scheme for the "cultural trail" included the arches, a tower and information boards that would highlight the history of the area.

It also said the trail along the street, which is known for its curry restaurants, art venues and trendy bars, would attract more tourists to the area.

The council has extended the deadline for complaints to 22 February.

'Territorialisation'

Tracey Emin, who lives just off Brick Lane, wrote a letter to the council, saying: "I sincerely object to these proposals… the proposed material has no relevance to the heritage of the area or its future.

"I understand that the Jewish East End Celebration Society does not approve the concept overall and neither do the Spitalfields Trust nor the Spitalfields Society, as stated in the review of the consultation.

The cultural path aims to attract tourists to the area and boost local businesses and the economy

Tower Hamlets spokeswoman

"I am shocked to learn that the scheme is budgeted at £2m and I strongly feel that rubbish collections, vermin control, education and improved policing are more important to resolve."

Local artist Brad Lochore said: "It seems absurd to be putting out the sign of a hijab.

"These are symbols of domination and repression. It's the wrong sign and it will mean trouble. Its territorialisation for one minority group. And that's unacceptable."

Will Palin, secretary of Save Britain's Heritage, who was speaking as a local resident, said: "It is clearly based on a head scarf which does not represent the breadth and rich diversity of the area.

"The design is pointless and expensive when there are crumbling historic buildings in the area, desperate for funds."

According to Tower Hamlets, the gates represent the diverse communities in the area who have historically worn headscarves, including some members of the Jewish community and the Huguenots, as well as some Muslim residents.

"The gates represent lots of different communities and how diverse and special Tower Hamlets is," a council spokeswoman said.

"The cultural path aims to attract tourists to the area and boost local businesses and the economy."

The planned arches would sit at each end of Brick Lane

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AhlaamBella
02-26-2010, 06:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
A plan to install headscarf-shaped arches at both ends of east London's Brick Lane has been criticised by local artists and residents.

Local artist Brad Lochore said: "It seems absurd to be putting out the sign of a hijab.

"These are symbols of domination and repression. It's the wrong sign and it will mean trouble. Its territorialisation for one minority group. And that's unacceptable."

The planned arches would sit at each end of Brick Lane

Source
They don't look much like a Hijab to me. . .

The above quote really made me laugh though ;D

Uthman
02-26-2010, 06:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AhlaamBella
They don't look much like a Hijab to me. . .

The above quote really made me laugh though ;D
Indeed.

Are you oppressed, sister? Tell em'!

AhlaamBella
02-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Ah but if I tell them I'm not oppressed - I'm brainwashed! Or an extremist :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Froggy
02-26-2010, 06:41 PM
The arch is unaesthetic.

AhlaamBella
02-26-2010, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Froggy
The arch is unaesthetic.
I find that is the case with most architectural art :hmm:

AlbanianMuslim
02-26-2010, 07:03 PM
It doesnt look like a hijab to me, was that the intention of the artist for it to look like one? If it wasnt, than people are getting riled up for nothing.

Supreme
02-26-2010, 10:46 PM
1) It doesn't look like a hijab.
2) Who spends £2 million on a bit of metal just after a recession?
3) If they can cough up the funding, I don't see why not.

I agree it may not represent all the cultures around it, but how could one possibly represent all the cultures? You can't exactly make a sculture one quarter Star of David and one quarter Africa and one quarter hijab and one quarter Indian elephant, can you?

Uthman
02-27-2010, 12:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
You can't exactly make a sculture one quarter Star of David and one quarter Africa and one quarter hijab and one quarter Indian elephant, can you?
I'd sure like to see somebody try though! It would be interesting to see. :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!