/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Danish Paper Apology over Cartoons

AlbanianMuslim
02-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Danish paper apologises for printing Muhammad cartoon
Kurt Westergaard Sept 2006
Kurt Westergaard's cartoons have been widely reprinted

A Danish newspaper has apologised for any offence caused when it reprinted a cartoon depicting the Prophet Muhammad with a bomb-shaped turban in 2008.

Politiken said it was apologising as part of a settlement with Muslim groups in the Middle East and Australia.

Other Danish newspapers criticised Politiken for its move.

Twelve cartoons of Muhammad were initially published in 2006, sparking widespread protests by Muslims in various countries.

Politiken - and other papers - republished one in 2008 when police uncovered an alleged plot to kill cartoonist Kurt Westergaard.

Politiken's pathetic prostrating before a Saudi lawyer takes the first prize in stupidity
Joern Mikkelse
Editor-in-chief of Jyllands-Posten

Editor-in-chief Toeger Seidenfaden said on Friday: "We apologise to anyone who was offended by our decision to reprint the cartoon drawing."

He told the Associated Press (AP) news agency that the paper still had the right to publish.

"We have the right to print Kurt Westergaard's drawings, we have the right to print the original 12 drawings, we have the right to print all the caricatures in the world," he said.

"We apologise for the offence which the reprint has caused. That is what we apologise for."

The editor-in-chief of Jyllands-Posten, the paper which originally published the cartoons, was highly critical of Politiken.

Joern Mikkelse said: "Politiken's pathetic prostrating before a Saudi lawyer takes the first prize in stupidity."

In 2006 Jyllands-Posten apologised for the offence caused by the drawings, but other European media reprinted them.

Speech setback

Danish embassies were then attacked by Muslims around the world and dozens killed in riots.

On Friday, the Danish Union of Journalists described Politiken as "kneeling before opponents of the freedom of press."

Mr Westergaard expressed disappointment: "I fear this is a setback for the freedom of speech," AP reported him as saying.

He went into hiding after publication amid threats to his life, but emerged in 2009 saying he wanted to live as normal a life as possible.

His house has been heavily fortified and is under close police protection, but on 1 January 2010 a Somali man was charged with trying to kill him.

The suspect, was shot by police outside Mr Westergaard's home in the city of Aarhus after he allegedly broke into the house armed with an axe and a knife.

Police say the suspect, who denies the charge, has links with Somali Islamist militants.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8539831.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Musliman
02-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Aren't they like two years late ? :mmokay:

Asiyah3
02-27-2010, 01:36 PM
^I was thinking the same.

Souljette
02-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Assalamualikum,
Why even post pictures like this in the first place .. it's not about free speech it's about offending another religion ..if we did something like this they would sue us and there would be chaos already..didn't they think before postin a cartoon like that..and now they are apologizing that also 2 years later..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pygoscelis
02-27-2010, 04:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Souljette
Assalamualikum,
Why even post pictures like this in the first place .. it's not about free speech it's about offending another religion ..if we did something like this they would sue us and there would be chaos already..didn't they think before postin a cartoon like that..and now they are apologizing that also 2 years later..
Actually, something similar was done re Christianity a while back. That "art piece" was actually funded by the government. And while there were protests and outrage, there was no worldwide outrage or assassination plots I'm aware of. If you want to read about it see this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ or watch the BBC documentary "d a m n ed in the USA".

Skavau
02-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Note: this is not the original paper which the cartoonist published them in. This is another paper that republished them. Lots of newspapers and media outlets that republished apologised for the cartoons.

جوري
02-27-2010, 04:46 PM
How does a phony apology undo the damage? They can take their apologies and do the only good thing with it!

Pygoscelis
02-27-2010, 04:48 PM
I agree that the apology is phony and cajoled. The question is why do they feel obligation to make it. I think it sends the wrong signal, that intimidation works.

جوري
02-27-2010, 04:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
I agree that the apology is phony and cajoled. The question is why do they feel obligation to make it. I think it sends the wrong signal, that intimidation works.
Agreed indeed.. and as such when atheists and cartoonists behave like uncivilized, unrefined hooligans and immoral apes that they are, I don't want to hear a peep out of one of you-- unless you'd also like to add hypocrites to the list.. which in fact you also are!

all the best!

Froggy
02-27-2010, 05:04 PM
They shouldn't have apologized as there is nothing to apologize. It's the rioters and embassy-destroyers that should apologize.

جوري
02-27-2010, 05:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Froggy
They shouldn't have apologized as there is nothing to apologize. It's the rioters and embassy-destroyers that should apologize.
No.. in fact let it be a lesson, though I prefer the boycott route myself:

DENMARK: Islamic boycotts costing Danish firms millions a day

http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/articl...parentid=38732

they can keep their toons, if being your economy can withstand your savagery.. however, even godless heathens have to bow to something and in this case it is money!

all the best!

Souljette
02-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Assalamualikum,
There is alot to apologize for but..why apologize for something you don't mean... if they knew or had a little respect they wouldn't have published it in the first place.. they deserve whatever they get.. they shouldn't even be allowed to run a newspaper.. there is also something called freedom of religion..that religion part just went out the window.. forget freedom of religion it is common sense that if you post somethin like this..you are expected to get hate..not praise ..sheesh they thought muslims would just sit back and shut up eh..

Froggy
02-27-2010, 05:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
No.. in fact let it be a lesson, though I prefer the boycott route myself:

DENMARK: Islamic boycotts costing Danish firms millions a day

http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/articl...parentid=38732

they can keep their toons, if being your economy can withstand your savagery.. however, even godless heathens have to bow to something and in this case it is money!

all the best!
This is really old and I think Arla foods was the only one to have taken a serious hit, but it's still in business. Denmark si not a large exporter into Muslim countries so any such boycot cannot hurt it severely, same with Israel, it doesn't export anything into Muslim countries and Muslims living in countries where it does export are to few to make a difference.

S_87
02-27-2010, 05:19 PM
they havent apologised for printing, theyve apologised to anyone whos offended.
not really an apology

جوري
02-27-2010, 05:19 PM
This is really old and I think Arla foods was the only one to have taken a serious hit, but it's still in business. Denmark si not a large exporter into Muslim countries so any such boycot cannot hurt it severely, same with Israel, it doesn't export anything into Muslim countries and Muslims living in countries where it does export are to few to make a difference.

Actually it is, I have lived in the middle east and can tell you about the number of Danish products that me and my family alone are currently boycotting. We used to purchase nothing but danish cheeses and creams, and even their medical clogs..and I was introduced to those when I lived in Islamic countries-- now multiply that by millions of others!

So the article is quite accurate and has made quite a painful difference, and I suspect it is why half baked apologies are cropping up all over the place!

all the best

Skavau
02-27-2010, 05:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Souljette
Assalamualikum,
There is alot to apologize for but..why apologize for something you don't mean... if they knew or had a little respect they wouldn't have published it in the first place.. they deserve whatever they get.. they shouldn't even be allowed to run a newspaper.. there is also something called freedom of religion..that religion part just went out the window.. forget freedom of religion it is common sense that if you post somethin like this..you are expected to get hate..not praise ..sheesh they thought muslims would just sit back and shut up eh..
I don't get what you mean by 'freedom of religion' here. Why do you think a cartoon being posted that portrays a belief system in a mocking way infringes on freedom of religion?

Froggy
02-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Actually it is, I have lived in the middle east and can tell you about the number of Danish products that me and my family alone are currently boycotting. We used to purchase nothing but danish cheeses and creams, and even their medical clogs..and I was introduced to those when I lived in Islamic countries-- now multiply that by millions of others!

So the article is quite accurate and has made quite a painful difference, and I suspect it is why half baked apologies are cropping up all over the place!

all the best
The article is 4 years old.
How many other apologies like this one have you seen?

جوري
02-27-2010, 05:27 PM
The article is 4 years old.
How many other apologies like this one have you seen?
The cartoons aren't soon to dissipate from Muslim memories so the boycott is ongoing.. you should employ some logic!

all the best!

Froggy
02-27-2010, 05:30 PM
The cartoons aren't soon to dissipate from Muslim memories so the boycott is ongoing.. you should employ some logic!

all the best!
The article said 4 years ago the damages will spread from Arla foods on to other companies and strike the danish economy with a fatal blow, which didn't happen.
And you suggested the apology comes in as means of stopping the boycott and helping the economy. How many such apologies are there and why only now?

جوري
02-27-2010, 05:38 PM
The article said 4 years ago the damages will spread from Arla foods on to other companies and strike the danish economy with a fatal blow, which didn't happen.
And you suggested the apology comes in as means of stopping the boycott and helping the economy. How many such apologies are there and why only now?
Hurting their economy doesn't equate to fatal blow, if they can withstand it with current global economic crisis as well their unemployment rate then kudos to them, as far as the Muslim end of things, the boycott is ongoing.. I haven't touched a danish product and have a wide market from which to choose, question is can they always withstand this?

And No, we are not looking for an apology, we are looking to teach others that actions have a consequence. I don't put much stock on apologies from the scum of the earth and their supporters. I am looking to focus on what I can do shouldered by other Muslims in their show of solidarity.

all the best!

Froggy
02-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Hurting their economy doesn't equate to fatal blow, if they can withstand it with current global economic crisis as well their unemployment rate then kudos to them, as far as the Muslim end of things, the boycott is ongoing.. I haven't touched a danish product and have a wide market from which to choose, question is can they always withstand this?

And No, we are not looking for an apology, we are looking to teach others that actions have a consequence. I don't put much stock on apologies from the scum of the earth and their supporters. I am looking to focus on what I can do shouldered by other Muslims in their show of solidarity.

all the best!
It wasn't that bad, Arla is the only one to suffer to a certain extent, but they are recovering in mideast markets.

جوري
02-27-2010, 06:24 PM
It wasn't that bad, Arla is the only one to suffer to a certain extent, but they are recovering in mideast markets.
It is bad, and it shall be and there is no recovery for them amongst Muslims insha'Allah!

all the best!

جوري
02-27-2010, 06:29 PM
will a mod pls take out the trash.. and wash your hands thoroughly thereafter!

:w:

Froggy
02-27-2010, 06:32 PM
It's not trash, its yet another reason why not apologize.

جوري
02-27-2010, 06:37 PM
It's not trash, its yet another reason why not apologize.
You can have maggot pie on the side.. this forum doesn't host mag pies unfortunately.. and again, perhaps you've missed my first post on this thread.. apologies are worthless. Actions are more meaningful, as such these under-educated buffoons are learning of Newton's third law the hard way!

all the best

Froggy
02-27-2010, 06:43 PM
You can have maggot pie on the side.. this forum doesn't host mag pies unfortunately.. and again, perhaps you've missed my first post on this thread.. apologies are worthless. Actions are more meaningful, as such these under-educated buffoons are learning of Newton's third law the hard way!

all the best
You have an opinion about apologies, my above post was not about your opninion specifically.
Boycotts the same way as international sanctions, do not harm the culprits but its completely legitimate and if it works that's good but hopefully no one would surrender the pressure, even if the consequences were worse for Denmark.

Pygoscelis
02-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Exactly. It wasn't the newspaper resorting to threats and violence. Its a pretty messed up world we live in when a drawing is more objectionable than physical threats and violence.

AlbanianMuslim
02-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Funny how hypocritical some Christians are. You think its no big deal when you draw Prophet Muhammad pbuh when it is know that it is strictly forbidden yet when an artist recently drew Jesus in bed with a women for sexual ad campaign the Christian Church's and devout followers of Christianity got their pants in a bunch.

AlbanianMuslim
02-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Exactly. It wasn't the newspaper resorting to threats and violence. Its a pretty messed up world we live in when a drawing is more objectionable than physical threats and violence.
Thats ridiculous. The cartoonists were well aware of the high risk of drawing and printing an inflammatory cartoon of Prophet Muhammad pbuh would be. The cartoonist even admitted himself in an interview that he knew it would anger the Muslim community.
Its not surprising that non Muslims dont understand why the Muslim community was so outraged. You need to understand the magnitude of the drawings to understand why they reacted the way they did. Until then, you will continue to hide under your veil of ignorance.

You people reap what you sew.

M..x
02-27-2010, 10:01 PM
^^ Agreed!!! And Froggy, what kind of reaction did you expect?
I don't condone that kind of behaviour (burning and trashing places) but the cartoonist should have known that drawing such vile images would provoke any Muslim.
Also, they should know exactly what to do with this pathetic apology. 2 Years late aswell. Hah. What a freakin joke!

Supreme
02-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Well, I'm split.

Liberal wise? Freedom of the press. Regardless of how offensive and ugly that freedom may be.

Religious wise? I dunno. I don't get ruffled if someone says something bad against Christianity. Why would I? I believe it to be the truth, and it's the insulter who is missing out and it's the insulter whom I believe God will have the final laugh eventually. However, the purpose of these cartoons was to create offense (and it's just unfortunate that Muslims took the bait), and I would be annoyed if someone did it to Christianity. Not angry, just annoyed that human beings take pleasure in mocking the beliefs held dear by others.

Froggy
02-27-2010, 11:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AlbanianMuslim
Thats ridiculous. The cartoonists were well aware of the high risk of drawing and printing an inflammatory cartoon of Prophet Muhammad pbuh would be. The cartoonist even admitted himself in an interview that he knew it would anger the Muslim community.
Its not surprising that non Muslims dont understand why the Muslim community was so outraged. You need to understand the magnitude of the drawings to understand why they reacted the way they did. Until then, you will continue to hide under your veil of ignorance.

The Muslim public was so outraged due to the intentional campaign that spread the photos worldwide.
No matter what the magnitude is, there is no apology for the human lives lost and material and political damage caused by rioters.
The Christian church you mentioned earlier protetsted, thats fine, it would have been fine with slogans like death to cartoonists or death to America as well. They didn't resort to violence.

Skavau
02-27-2010, 11:49 PM
Funny how hypocritical some Christians are. You think its no big deal when you draw Prophet Muhammad pbuh when it is know that it is strictly forbidden yet when an artist recently drew Jesus in bed with a women for sexual ad campaign the Christian Church's and devout followers of Christianity got their pants in a bunch.
There have been local outcries by Christians in both the USA and the UK about specific things (Monty Python, Jerry Springer: The Opera) but there were never threats of violence, riots or any deaths resulting. Christians due to the influence of Secularism and the general abandonment of literalism on the whole have left Christians rather more tame when it comes to issue of offense.

Sir, you contradict yourself. You concede surprisement that Non-Muslims could not grasp the gravity of the offensiveness of the printing of a negative depiction of Mohammad but earlier on say that the cartoonists must have been aware of the "high risk" of the printing of the cartoons.

In any case, this is nothing less that apologetics for justice. Some Muslims that condemn the cartoons have decreed the collective end, or absolute reformation in their favour of a sovereign state and its inhabitants based on the actions of the free press within it. Some Muslims demanded and continue to demand the government intervene against the media and censor specific things they consider forbidden. This is not only a ridiculous demand, it something that the government by their own constitution cannot do.

I cannot believe for one moment you would be morally serious in stating that violence is bad, but cartoons are worse. And that we should be condemning of those who may have aggravated the especially sensitive (though not so sensitive to violent retribution).

Pygoscelis
02-28-2010, 02:08 AM

There is no excuse for violence and threats of physical harm, no matter what somebody draws... not in the western mindset anyway. If the Islamic mindset disagrees it is a very good reason to keep the two cultures apart.

Muslim Woman
02-28-2010, 03:15 PM
:sl:

got this mail today .

AsSalaamu Alaikum,

Great News

Hope you all know about the Denmark newspaper who made
fun of our holy Prophet PBUH and till now they do not
Regret...

let us make them regret for good....

The Danish Ambassador, Prime Minister and Denmark National
Channel; all are trying to do something just to stop the boycott by
Muslims since last month through which their losses have reached 4
Billion Euros.
40,00,00,000.00 If we continue to boycott Denmark products 7 months more it
could reach around 80 Billion Euro’s loss.

7-Up Drink, LEGO, Cadbury Chocolates, Hall Chewing gums, or any product with barcode no. starting with 57.

Please convince all Muslims to circulate this to Muslim Ummah to ban Danish made products.

JAZAK-ALLAH
KHAIR ( MAY ALLAH REWARD YOU, INSHALLAH)

Supreme
02-28-2010, 03:36 PM
All over a cartoon?

Madness. Some people just need to move on and get on with their lives...

Pygoscelis
02-28-2010, 03:46 PM
When a cartoon becomes a call to arms, I don't think you can pretend to be a "religion of peace".

Muslim Woman
02-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Salaam/Peace

format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
All over a cartoon?

Madness. ...

to print and re-print of offensive cartoons is not madness but to boycott / make protest is madness ?

BTW , when Christians protest against offensive matters against Jesus pbuh , media don't say that it's madness or it's the right of the publisher to do so.

&&

Shillong: ( India )

A Delhi-based publisher has landed in a controversy after some textbooks published by it carried a picture of Jesus Christ holding a cigarette in one hand and a beer can in the other.

Authorities of a convent school here, where the cursive writing book was supplied among the students of Class I to IV, today filed an FIR against Skyline Publication.

The police today seized 30 such books and the authorities of the St Joseph Girls Higher Secondary School asked the students to return the remaining.

The headmistress of the school Sister M Thaddeus Syiemiong said, ''It came to our notice only a few days back. We have asked the students to return the textbooks.''

The cursive writing book meant for Class I is a spelling tutor. For the alphabet 'I', the word 'Idol' is used in the book. Against this word is printed the picture of Jesus Christ with the scandalous representation.

The objectionable picture is also printed in other cursive writing books of Class II, III and IV.

Church leaders and officials of the education department visited the school this morning and took sample copies of the textbook.

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report...d-beer_1349550

Supreme
02-28-2010, 04:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Salaam/Peace

to print and re-print of offensive cartoons is not madness but to boycott / make protest is madness ?

BTW , when Christians protest against offensive matters against Jesus pbuh , media don't say that it's madness or it's the right of the publisher to do so.
Of course it's offensive, but this happened years ago. I know at least the basics of Islam, it is not a religion that suddenly faces a crisis when a single offensive cartoon is published. So why the uproar now today? It's a cartoon: you have a nice religion to attend to, so why not attend do it and focus on it instead of attempting to punish a country where an offensive cartoon was published a few years ago?

Dagless
02-28-2010, 04:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Of course it's offensive, but this happened years ago. I know at least the basics of Islam, it is not a religion that suddenly faces a crisis when a single offensive cartoon is published. So why the uproar now today? It's a cartoon: you have a nice religion to attend to, so why not attend do it and focus on it instead of attempting to punish a country where an offensive cartoon was published a few years ago?
When a cartoon becomes a call to arms, I don't think you can pretend to be a "religion of peace".

It is peaceful as long as you are peaceful. If you start attacking it then why shouldn't it be defended? Boycotts are a valid form of protest.
There was a guy who made a facebook poll about whether Obama should be assassinated, it was only words but the poll gets pulled and he gets taken in by secret service. It wasn't a threat to Obama and the guy could not have carried it out even if it was, but some things you just don't say.

Froggy
02-28-2010, 05:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
It is peaceful as long as you are peaceful. If you start attacking it then why shouldn't it be defended? Boycotts are a valid form of protest.
There was a guy who made a facebook poll about whether Obama should be assassinated, it was only words but the poll gets pulled and he gets taken in by secret service. It wasn't a threat to Obama and the guy could not have carried it out even if it was, but some things you just don't say.
It is completely valid, but in this case rather immoral, it won't make anyone apologize and a people who had nothing to do eith the cartoons or amy not even support them will loose their jobs. It's like international sanctions that in most cases hurt civilians, though I'd say those are more justified.

czgibson
02-28-2010, 05:37 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman

You're talking about protests that caused over a hundred deaths. What is worse: a hundred deaths or a tasteless cartoon?

Peace

Amadeus85
02-28-2010, 05:46 PM
When someone thinks that the right to humiliate others' religion is one of the fundaments of culture, they should not call themselves civilized people. :D

Dagless
02-28-2010, 06:07 PM
It is completely valid, but in this case rather immoral, it won't make anyone apologize and a people who had nothing to do eith the cartoons or amy not even support them will loose their jobs. It's like international sanctions that in most cases hurt civilians, though I'd say those are more justified.
Thats the same as anything though isn't it? Innocents are always hurt. The point is that its the Danish governments job to make sure things like that don't happen. Their inaction indicates support.

Skavau
02-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Thats the same as anything though isn't it? Innocents are always hurt. The point is that its the Danish governments job to make sure things like that don't happen. Their inaction indicates support.
Inaction to what? The Danish government did not and does not have the constitutional power to intervene on their own media in favour of and on behalf of people who's religious sensibilities are hurt.

mog
02-28-2010, 06:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by x Muslimah x
^^ Agreed!!! And Froggy, what kind of reaction did you expect?
I don't condone that kind of behaviour (burning and trashing places) but the cartoonist should have known that drawing such vile images would provoke any Muslim.
Also, they should know exactly what to do with this pathetic apology. 2 Years late aswell. Hah. What a freakin joke!
So what about this from http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...s-prophet.html

It must mean that protests and riots and death threats and actual killings are against the teachings!

Patience
The Prophet said: 'No one can give a better or more abundant gift than patience.' (Sahîh Bukhârî, Sahîh Muslim)

جوري
02-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Whereas I agree that rioting isn't an effective a tool as boycotting. There is a time for everything.. time for peace and a time for war!

Supreme
02-28-2010, 06:38 PM
Just because something is taboo, it is not illegal to say it. However, someone must know the risks and the potential repurcussions when they say something, and the dangers it may bring, but not from the government in a country where saying anything is permitted.

mog
02-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Whereas I agree that rioting isn't an effective a tool as boycotting. There is a time for everything.. time for peace and a time for war!
How would you like it, to have a complete boycott of everything that muslims produce?
That's if they sell anything to the non muslims!

جوري
02-28-2010, 07:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mog
How would you like it, to have a complete boycott of everything that muslims produce?
That's if they sell anything to the non muslims!
I don't mind at all.. in fact it would be nice if you'd take your troops, your vulgar ways, your naked women, and your mangod out of the entire Muslim world.
Muslims make up 1.86 billion of the world's population spanning the globe, I am sure we'll survive just fine!

Froggy
02-28-2010, 07:18 PM
I don't mind at all.. in fact it would be nice if you'd take your troops, your vulgar ways, your naked women, and your mangod out of the entire Muslim world.
Muslims make up 1.86 billion of the world's population spanning the globe, I am sure we'll survive just fine!
Where did you get 1,86 billion?

Dagless
02-28-2010, 07:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skavau
Inaction to what? The Danish government did not and does not have the constitutional power to intervene on their own media in favour of and on behalf of people who's religious sensibilities are hurt.
Inaction to the cartoons (are you actually reading anything?). The government has the power to 1) apologise 2) stop hate 3) stop inciting of hate. The cartoons were an insult. If they didn't know that before they were published then they knew it after. A simple apology and pulling them would have been all that was required. You're making it out like it was some kind of controversial report which the public needed to see.

Froggy
02-28-2010, 07:20 PM
It's funny you mention this. The Danes make up 5 million of the words population, they insult over a billion yet they survive just fine.

جوري
02-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Where did you get 1,86 billion?

We also wanted to show that, by even taking data from General Sources, like CIA Fact Sheet, we can easily establish the fact that total Muslim Population in 2009 is 1.66 billion, which is far greater than currently estimated 1.2 or 1.3 billion. Under GENERAL SOURCE section, we have taken all the data from popular sources such as CIA Fact Sheet, HOLT, RINEHART & WINSTON, etc.

http://www.islamicpopulation.com/

some places like India and especially China don't wish to report the actual number of Muslims in their population, so we can round to 1.6~1.8 bil.
and it is the fastest growing religion, with at least 20,000 americans converting every year.
Media Tags are no longer supported

All the best!

جوري
02-28-2010, 07:25 PM
It's funny you mention this. The Danes make up 5 million of the words population, they insult over a billion yet they survive just fine.

Good for them.. Then they'll survive just fine without the support of Muslim money and don't have to decry it out in the media!

all the best

Froggy
02-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Good for them.. Then they'll survive just fine without the support of Muslim money and don't have to decry it out in the media!

all the best
They didn't for it for the money.

Skavau
02-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Inaction to the cartoons (are you actually reading anything?). The government has the power to 1) apologise 2) stop hate 3) stop inciting of hate. The cartoons were an insult. If they didn't know that before they were published then they knew it after. A simple apology and pulling them would have been all that was required. You're making it out like it was some kind of controversial report which the public needed to see.
In a democratic nation, the government does not have the power (were you reading?) to just censor the press at will, pull the cartoons on behalf of a group of people due to threats and violence. It would be a complete disgrace and negate their own constitution and legitimacy to responsibly rule.

The government can pay lip service and make apologies on behalf of their free press but they cannot do anything else.

جوري
02-28-2010, 07:29 PM
They didn't for it for the money.
I don't understand what 'they didn't for it for the money' means!

all the best

Froggy
02-28-2010, 07:32 PM
I don't understand what 'they didn't for it for the money' means!

all the best
"Then they'll survive just fine without the support of Muslim money and don't have to decry it out in the media!"

I thought this meant they apologized to stop the boycot or something in those lines, so as to get more Muslim money.

جوري
02-28-2010, 07:38 PM

I thought this meant they apologized to stop the boycot or something in those lines, so as to get more Muslim money.
I don't know the purpose at all for their half-baked apology and I think it is a little too late, so at this stage it is inconsequential!

Holly
02-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Just a thought, but you might want to actually write something coherent on occasion. We have troops in many locations in the islamist world by agreements with islamist nations. Islamists invited us into Iraq and Afghanistan so why whine and complain when we accept the Invitation?

Further, why not first remove your (wannabe jihadi) troops, your vulgar ways, your drug addicts and naked women from the West?

Thirdly, I see you need some education regarding just how well Islamism would survive without the West. That bastion of Islamism, the KSA, is already wringing it’s hands regarding the worlds oil consumption/reserves.

Saudis ask for aid if world cuts dependence on oil
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...y/6657947.html

BANGKOK — There are plenty of needy countries at the U.N. climate talks in Bangkok that make the case they need financial assistance to adapt to the impacts of global warming. Then there are the Saudis.

Saudi Arabia has led a quiet campaign during these and other negotiations — demanding behind closed doors that oil-producing nations get special financial assistance if a new climate pact calls for substantial reductions in the use of fossil fuels.

That campaign comes despite an International Energy Agency report released this week showing that OPEC revenues would still increase $23 trillion between 2008 and 2030 — a fourfold increase compared to the period from 1985 to 2007 — if countries agree to significantly slash emissions and thereby cut their use of oil. That is the limit most countries agree is needed to avoid the worst impacts of climate change.

The head of the Saudi delegation Mohammad S. Al Sabban dismissed the IEA figures as "biased" and said OPEC's own calculations showed that Saudi Arabia would lose $19 billion a year starting in 2012 under a new climate pact. The region would lose much more, he said.

"We are among the economically vulnerable countries," Al Sabban told The Associated Press on the sidelines of the talks ahead of negotiations in Copenhagen in December for a treaty to replace the Kyoto Protocol, which expires in 2012.
The majority of islamist countries are dependent upon the West for their very survival. Absent oil exports, these bastions of Islamism are economically helpless as they have virtually no manufacturing or industrial base or the educated manpower to move their economies. In fact, it took Western technology for these islamist nations to develop their oil extraction infrastructure.

Try thinking before you ht the “submit reply” button.

aamirsaab
02-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Alright drop your handbags people.

Dagless
02-28-2010, 07:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skavau
In a democratic nation, the government does not have the power (were you reading?) to just censor the press at will, pull the cartoons on behalf of a group of people due to threats and violence. It would be a complete disgrace and negate their own constitution and legitimacy to responsibly rule.

The government can pay lip service and make apologies on behalf of their free press but they cannot do anything else.
You are wrong. Inciting hatred, be it racial or religious, is against the law. The government can enforce the law and pull the offending material. Free press does not mean they can print anything under the sun.

format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Alright drop your handbags people.
It's a satchel!

Froggy
02-28-2010, 07:53 PM
You are wrong. Inciting hatred, be it racial or religious, is against the law. The government can enforce the law and pull the offending material. Free press does not mean they can print anything under the sun.

It's a satchel!
Charges have been filed against the newspaper but the court dismissed them.

Dagless
02-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Charges have been filed against the newspaper but the court dismissed them.
And they were wrong to do so.

جوري
02-28-2010, 07:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Holly
Just a thought, but you might want to actually write something coherent on occasion. We have troops in many locations in the islamist world by agreements with islamist nations. Islamists invited us into Iraq and Afghanistan so why whine and complain when we accept the Invitation?
Agreement of puppet govt. instated by the west, doesn't equate with agreement of the body of citizens!
Further, why not first remove your (wannabe jihadi) troops, your vulgar ways, your drug addicts and naked women from the West?
Why? the whole point it to usurp you!
Thirdly, I see you need some education regarding just how well Islamism would survive without the West. That bastion of Islamism, the KSA, is already wringing it’s hands regarding the worlds oil consumption/reserves.

Saudis ask for aid if world cuts dependence on oil
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...y/6657947.html
It would survive as it has for millenniums, the golden age of Islam happened prior to the oil surge!

The majority of islamist countries are dependent upon the West for their very survival. Absent oil exports, these bastions of Islamism are economically helpless as they have virtually no manufacturing or industrial base or the educated manpower to move their economies. In fact, it took Western technology for these islamist nations to develop their oil extraction infrastructure.
Is that why the west asks gulf countries for billions?

US asks oil-rich Muslim countries for $300 billion
http://eldib.wordpress.com/2009/01/0...-save-economy/
Try thinking before you ht the “submit reply” button.
lol.. why don't you go enroll in some basic vocational course to foster self-esteem?

Holly
02-28-2010, 08:05 PM
I've noticed that you are inconsistent in terms of defining publication of the MoToons. You first seek to demonize free speech which is contrary to your agenda by labeling it "offensive", in the hope of portraying others as committing an offense. You're hoping that a misguided and fundamentally flawed portrayal of the concept of freedom of speech will engender an environment facilitative of your desire to crush any criticism of your politico-religious ideology. What you want is an imprisoning of ideas. You want free speech to be muzzled so that at some point, all speech could be interpreted as "hate speech" when it is in regard to your religion.

For example: It becomes difficult for moderates to argue against internecine murders if they're threatened and ostracized for saying internecine murders are destructive or sinful. It becomes still harder if those who do speak out are punished and discredited within the context of their socio-political circles. And it becomes utterly impossible if the government is in a position to arrest you for such expression.

Islamic fear societies share all of the elements that create the conditions noted above: the most effective way to win an argument is to prevent the other side from debating. There are lessons to be learned from Islamic fear societies that we ignore at our own peril. Freedom of speech cannot protect you from being offend.

Holly
02-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Agreement of puppet govt. instated by the west, doesn't equate with agreement of the body of citizens!
What “puppet” government “instated” by the West?

Perhaps you could discuss for us the islamist "governments" managed by mini-dictators.

Why? the whole point it to usurp you!
Is that why you have embraced your western lifestyle?

It would survive as it has for millenniums, the golden age of Islam happened prior to the oil surge!
“Golden Age”? What is so golden about failure?

Is that why the west asks gulf countries for billions?

US asks oil-rich Muslim countries for $300 billion
http://eldib.wordpress.com/2009/01/0...-save-economy/
You’re copying and pasting from someone’s personal blog? How pathetic.

lol.. why don't you go enroll in some basic vocational course to foster self-esteem?
Lol. That was pathetic.

جوري
02-28-2010, 08:17 PM
I've noticed that you are inconsistent in terms of defining publication of the MoToons. You first seek to demonize free speech which is contrary to your agenda by labeling it "offensive", in the hope of portraying others as committing an offense. You're hoping that a misguided and fundamentally flawed portrayal of the concept of freedom of speech will engender an environment facilitative of your desire to crush any criticism of your politico-religious ideology. What you want is an imprisoning of ideas. You want free speech to be muzzled so that at some point, all speech could be interpreted as "hate speech" when it is in regard to your religion.
There are laws against libel and slander, and for that reason the Anti-Defamation League was created. Unfortunately as we notice with western hypocrisy, is that it was created to limit or completely obstruct any form of 'free speech' that is inflammatory used against the Jews only as such, you can be sentenced to jail for mere holocaust denial:
http://counterknowledge.com/2009/05/...enced-to-jail/
but of course applauded for inciting hatred against Muslims!

For example: It becomes difficult for moderates to argue against internecine murders if they're threatened and ostracized for saying internecine murders are destructive or sinful. It becomes still harder if those who do speak out are punished and discredited within the context of their socio-political circles. And it becomes utterly impossible if the government is in a position to arrest you for such expression.
It is difficult for anyone to argue against anything that doesn't limit itself with what the west finds acceptable.
Again we see this with the bombing of villages in yemen to seek a man 'Anwar al'walaki' for allegedly having a conversation with the fort hood bomber!

Islamic fear societies share all of the elements that create the conditions noted above: the most effective way to win an argument is to prevent the other side from debating. There are lessons to be learned from Islamic fear societies that we ignore at our own peril. Freedom of speech cannot protect you from being offend.
You should really change the first word with 'the west', as it is already grammatically incorrectly used, and one is of course accustomed to the ignorance of the herd who do nothing but sit before their ten o'clock news which is really aimed at those with sub-mediocre intellect and imbuing them with their fill of crap!

all the best

aamirsaab
02-28-2010, 08:19 PM
I said drop your freaking handbags!

Dagless
02-28-2010, 08:19 PM

Freedom of speech is fine when done with respect to other peoples beliefs. Nobody complains about polite, well thought out arguments. The cartoons are different in that their objective was to insult/mock at the expense of a religious group. This is not acceptable when it comes to race and so should not be acceptable when it comes to religion.

format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
I said drop your freaking handbags!
It worries me how good you are at this. Are you subsidising your income? :p

جوري
02-28-2010, 08:21 PM
What “puppet” government “instated” by the West?

Perhaps you could discuss for us the islamist "governments" managed by mini-dictators.
How do mini dictators come to power?

anyone?

Is that why you have embraced your western lifestyle?
Who said I have embraced it?

“Golden Age”? What is so golden about failure?
I know it is difficult to think past last night's news, but as stated prior if you merely invest in a basic course to foster self-esteem, you can perhaps one day work your way up to community college and learn something of history and politics!

You’re copying and pasting from someone’s personal blog? How pathetic.
even if it were does it make it any less credible?

Lol. That was pathetic.
thank you for another adequate assessment of self!

all the best

Holly
02-28-2010, 08:27 PM
There are laws against libel and slander, and for that reason the Anti-Defamation League was created. Unfortunately as we notice with western hypocrisy, is that it was created to limit or completely obstruct any form of 'free speech' that is inflammatory used against the Jews only as such, you can be sentenced to jail for mere holocaust denial:
http://counterknowledge.com/2009/05/...enced-to-jail/
but of course applauded for inciting hatred against Muslims!
Nothing of the sort (libel and slander) occurred. You really should not post such nonsense. It really is pathetic that you feel a need to respond on behalf of others when your comments are so utterly pointless.

It is difficult for anyone to argue against anything that doesn't limit itself with what the west finds acceptable.
Again we see this with the bombing of villages in yemen to seek a man 'Anwar al'walaki' for allegedly having a conversation with the fort hood bomber!
A useless comment, totally unrelated to the subject. More pathetic whining.

You should really change the first word with 'the west', as it is already grammatically incorrectly used, and one is of course accustomed to the ignorance of the herd who do nothing but sit before their ten o'clock news which is really aimed at those with sub-mediocre intellect and imbuing them with their fill of crap!

all the best
Off topic and a waste of time. You seem to have a habit of sidestepping any real accounting of thread topics.

All the best… with at some point offering a coherent comment. I could author posts on your behalf on a per diem. Let me know as you need lots of help.

czgibson
02-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Greetings,
the most effective way to win an argument is to prevent the other side from debating.
You can see that strategy in action here on the forum pretty much every day.

Peace

جوري
02-28-2010, 08:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Peace
Then why have you remained here for five years?

aamirsaab
02-28-2010, 08:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Peace
You are going to find this post hilarious. Or incredibly annoying.

Thread locked.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!