/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sunni, Shia,sufi, etc

Iqbal007
02-26-2010, 10:16 PM
I was wondering about whether all these sub groups of Islam are actually permitted because from my understanding there is no such thing as Sunni or Shia Islam. And i was wondering if anyone esle can clarify this because Islam is here to unite people together, but these other groups are dividing the people.imsad

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
CosmicPathos
02-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Yes, there is only one Islam as written in Quran and Sunnah corpus. But there are groups who claim to be Muslims. So whatever groups you mentioned, they are not a 100% reflection of what Islam really is. Some might be 98% Islamic but no group is on Islam.

The only way to be on Islam is to be on Quran and hadeeth without association to any group except that of Prophet and the 3 generations.

Iqbal007
02-26-2010, 10:28 PM
So i was right. I was just wondering because so many people call themselves sunni and shia and still say they are muslim even my father and i've only been able to change a some members of my families views. thx

M..x
02-26-2010, 10:42 PM
We should adhere to tha Quran and Sunnah alone. People subject them to their own interpretations and come up with their own conclusions, thus creating such divisions, whilst some even have the nerve of rejecting the Sunnah completey. We should remember that both are compatiable with each other and both go hand in hand. Therefore, we should not just pick and choose as we please from the deen, Islam is a COMPLETE way of life and stick to the majority of the Ummah. Nowadays, honestly, we just LOOK to make it difficult for ourselves, when its so blatently simple.
Dont know if that made sense, buh I hope you kinda got what I'm saying.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sampharo
02-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Title of Sunni or on the Sunnah is just a description of one who follows Quran and Sunnah. There is nothing wrong in describing oneself as such, and actually it may be required to distinuish oneself.

Sects however are indeed an unfortunate part of reality, and one should not subscribe to any of them: (Shia, sufi, khawarij etc.). But Sunni is a valid distinguishing name for those who follow the Sunnah and was used by the salaf, there is nothing wrong with it.

Supreme
02-27-2010, 10:55 PM
You should see Christianity. We've got Roman Catholic, Eastern Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, Greek Orthodox, Egyptian Coptic, Lutheran, Pentecostal, Anglican, Charismatic, Protestant, Evangelical, Seventh Day, Baptist, Non-denominational, United Church of God, Methodist, Jewish Christians, Anabaptists, Messianic Christianity, atheist Christians, Jehovahs Witnesses, Mormons, Presbyterian Christians... and that's to name a few. All under the single label of Christian.

We have a joke, actually:

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said "Stop! don't do it!"
"Why shouldn't I?" he said.
I said, "Well, there's so much to live for!"
He said, "Like what?"
I said, "Well...are you religious or atheist?"
He said, "Religious."
I said, "Me too! Are you christian or buddhist?"
He said,"Christian."
I said, "Me too! Are you catholic or protestant?"
He said, "Protestant."
I said, "Me too! Are you episcopalian or baptist?"
He said, "Baptist!"
I said,"Wow! Me too! Are you baptist church of god or baptist church of the lord?"
He said, "Baptist church of god!"
I said, "Me too! Are you original baptist church of god, or are you reformed baptist church of god?"
He said,"Reformed Baptist church of god!"
I said, "Me too! Are you reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1879, or reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915?"
He said, "Reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915!"
I said, "Die, heretic scum", and pushed him off.

Italianguy
02-27-2010, 11:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
You should see Christianity. We've got Roman Catholic, Eastern Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, Greek Orthodox, Egyptian Coptic, Lutheran, Pentecostal, Anglican, Charismatic, Protestant, Evangelical, Seventh Day, Baptist, Non-denominational, United Church of God, Methodist, Jewish Christians, Anabaptists, Messianic Christianity, atheist Christians, Jehovahs Witnesses, Mormons, Presbyterian Christians... and that's to name a few. All under the single label of Christian.

We have a joke, actually:

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said "Stop! don't do it!"
"Why shouldn't I?" he said.
I said, "Well, there's so much to live for!"
He said, "Like what?"
I said, "Well...are you religious or atheist?"
He said, "Religious."
I said, "Me too! Are you christian or buddhist?"
He said,"Christian."
I said, "Me too! Are you catholic or protestant?"
He said, "Protestant."
I said, "Me too! Are you episcopalian or baptist?"
He said, "Baptist!"
I said,"Wow! Me too! Are you baptist church of god or baptist church of the lord?"
He said, "Baptist church of god!"
I said, "Me too! Are you original baptist church of god, or are you reformed baptist church of god?"
He said,"Reformed Baptist church of god!"
I said, "Me too! Are you reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1879, or reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915?"
He said, "Reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915!"
I said, "Die, heretic scum", and pushed him off.
lol, I have seen that one before.;D

There is a different one pertaining to Catholics. I wont post it though....I'm not leaving myself wide open for that one.:phew

Banu_Hashim
02-27-2010, 11:02 PM
:sl:

Ahlus Sunnah wal Jama'ah (or "Sunni" as people shorten it) are the people upon the manhaj of the Qur'an and Sunnah and the Salaf As-Saliheen. People need to know what exactly terms mean before jumping to conclusions. But don't worry- I was just as confused, if not more before I knew this.

The Shi'aa however are a completely deviant group who's basic aqeedah is messed up! They will tell you otherwise (this is part of their taqiyyah) but please don't be fooled.

I agree with everything Br. Sampharo said.

And also, the vast majority of Muslims adhere to the Sunnah (therefore "Sunni") so it is not a big division alhamdulillah.

:wa:

tango92
02-28-2010, 07:03 AM
in my area the shias are actually helping the kuffar in their fight against the sunnis! my sister was telling me about how they were trying to label sunnis as extremists in city university. because they read jummah prayer outside in protest of religious intolerance.

alhumdullIlah, i dont know how they call themselves muslim

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!