/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Boys and girls should be taught separately for key subjects

islamirama
02-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Boys and girls should be taught separately for key subjects, says schools minister

By Laura Clark - 25th November 2008

Boys and girls should be taught separately for large parts of the school day, a schools minister has said.

Sarah McCarthy-Fry called on mixed schools to split the sexes for key subjects such as science to prevent boys 'hogging the limelight'.

She suggested girls would be more likely to study science at A-level and beyond if taught in 'girl-friendly' single-sex classes.

Mrs McCarthy-Fry, who became an education minister following last month's reshuffle, also suggested more girls could be taught in single-sex schools.

She added: 'Many girls say they want to go into care professions. But you could present science in a way girls relate to.

'For instance, you could argue if you really care about health you could design an incubator.'

Her intervention follows a prediction by a leading girls' school head that within 25 to 50 years, single-sex schooling will once again become the norm.

Cheltenham Ladies College head Vicky Tuck said boys and girls learn better apart because of 'neurological differences'.

Only a handful of mixed secondary schools have introduced single-sex classes. One, Shenfield, in Essex, claims the arrangement has contributed to pupils' academic success.

In an interview, Mrs McCarthy-Fry said: 'Girls do much better in science in single-sex classes. They sometimes feel intimidated in mixed-sex classes, with the boys hogging the limelight and putting their hands up to answer all the questions.'

The MP for Portsmouth North said science and engineering could be presented to girls in a more 'girl-friendly' manner.

She said: 'If you talk to girls about what they want to do, many say they want to go into caring professions - like nursing.

'But you could present science and engineering in a way girls could relate better to in careers advice.

'For instance you could argue that if you really care about the environment you can save lives and if you're interested in health you could design an incubator which could save a child's life.'

She believed the drive to improve the take-up of science in particular could succeed if single-sex lessons were introduced in co-educational schools - and more girls were taught in single-sex schools.

'I don't see why that couldn't happen,' she said.

But critics seized on the initiative as an example of Labour borrowing ideas it once reviled.

Hundreds of single sex schools became co-educational during the Sixties and Seventies as grammars were turned into comprehensives.

Over the past four decades, the number of single-sex secondary schools has fallen from around 2,500 to around 400.

But many private schools remain single-sex at least until the sixth-form in response to parental demand.

Speaking at the Girls' Schools Association's annual conference last week, Vicky Tuck, GSA president and principal of Cheltenham Ladies College said: 'I have a hunch that in 50 years time, or maybe only 25, people will be doubled up with laughter when they watch documentaries about the history of education and discover that people once thought it was a good idea to educate adolescent boys and girls together.'

She added that girls' brains were 'wired differently' and that it was 'crucial to cater for their separate needs'.

Cambridge University research among secondary school pupils has suggested results improve for both boys and girls when they are taught apart in languages and maths.

However, there are no definitive conclusions. Professor Alan Smithers, of Buckingham University, found after a review of research that it made little difference to a pupil's results whether their parents had chosen a single-sex or mixed school.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1089375/Boys-girls-taught-separately-key-subjects-says-schools-minister.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
03-01-2010, 02:17 AM
I am amused by how long it takes these people to discover something very basic and very common sense.. school is for being schooled in the arts, sciences and mathematics and nothing else!

barney
03-01-2010, 02:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
I am amused by how long it takes these people to discover something very basic and very common sense.. school is for being schooled in the arts, sciences and mathematics and nothing else!
No RE then? I agree!

جوري
03-01-2010, 02:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
no re then? I agree!
?

.................................................. ............

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
barney
03-01-2010, 02:50 AM
R.E.
Religious Indoct.... umm, Education.

You say that school should be for art science and maths. Not for pounding the relevant nations current religiosity into the heads of little children?

I agreed.

جوري
03-01-2010, 04:40 AM
I believe in schools for religion as well, some prefer it on the side, some prefer parochial one shot my sister has my niece in a weekend religion classes, my brother sent his kids to parochial both are fine options.. whatever parents, so long as young ladies and gents. go to their own same sex school!
atheist indoctrination however doesn't belong in any school.. I'll agree with you there.. lack of morals, ethics and social graces can always be learned on the streets or forums, but no room for it in the classroom!

all the best

barney
03-01-2010, 05:42 AM
Ahh right. all clear now!

Hey! Heres a crazy off the wall idea!

How about letting the truth of scripture speak for itself to a discerning mind. Letting a clean slate of reason guide a human into accepting faith freely and without compulsion so that their religion is a choice? That they revert freely and are committed to it from their own hearts?

Bizzare I know. Why do that when you can pump the doctrine of a countrys particular deity into infants heads with endless repertition hour after hour, day after day year upon year, backed up by a few hard cracks of a rod.
It's palpably more effective.

Karina
03-01-2010, 08:51 AM
I definitely agree with keeping boys and girls seperate in education. I went to an all-girls high school and would not have been able to bear having boys in my classes!

The school as a whole excelled in engineering and science - would this have happened if we had mixed classes?

I have always thought it to be a particularly silly idea to put boys and girls in the same secondary schools.

Froggy
03-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Mixed education works splendidly in some countries and girls are just as likely to go after technical and natural sciences as boys.
According to studies girls do better in all-girls schools whereas boys perform better in mixed environments. Moving to single sex education would then hurt the boys.
single gender schools should be an option but as far as publuc schools are concerned, they should be coed.

جوري
03-01-2010, 05:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Ahh right. all clear now!

Hey! Heres a crazy off the wall idea!

How about letting the truth of scripture speak for itself to a discerning mind. Letting a clean slate of reason guide a human into accepting faith freely and without compulsion so that their religion is a choice? That they revert freely and are committed to it from their own hearts?

Bizzare I know. Why do that when you can pump the doctrine of a countrys particular deity into infants heads with endless repertition hour after hour, day after day year upon year, backed up by a few hard cracks of a rod.
It's palpably more effective.
children are born natural believers in God. It is best to foster that as children, the same way it is best to do male circumcision on babies .. less complications in the case of the latter, less hooliganism in case of the first!

all the best

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!