/* */

PDA

View Full Version : sadaqah

anonymous
03-02-2010, 03:16 AM
im really clueless as to what sadqah is in Islam? i know it is translated as charity, but can i have the fiqhi meaning of it? what is sadaqah?
how is sadaqah different from zakat? who can i give sadaqah to? can i give it at any time of the year? how much should i give? if i give money to a non-muslim organization (or even Muslim ones) such as the blind society or the breast cancer research, etc is this included as charity?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
anonymous
03-05-2010, 02:47 AM
??????????????????????

ardianto
03-05-2010, 09:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
im really clueless as to what sadqah is in Islam? i know it is translated as charity, but can i have the fiqhi meaning of it? what is sadaqah?
how is sadaqah different from zakat? who can i give sadaqah to? can i give it at any time of the year? how much should i give? if i give money to a non-muslim organization (or even Muslim ones) such as the blind society or the breast cancer research, etc is this included as charity?
Sadaqah is charity that given sincerely. Different than zakat, there is no rule about how much or when you must give your sadaqah. You can give your sadaqah any time.

Of course you can give your sadaqah to non-Muslim organization like blind society or cancer research because they are not organization that fight Muslims. Insha Allah you will get reward.

anonymous
04-02-2010, 09:15 AM
anything else :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamza Asadullah
04-02-2010, 02:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
:sl:

SADAQA ( VOLUNTARY CHARITY )

Deffinition:

Sadaqa comes from the word : sadaqa : to be truthful. The noun is Sidq; Sadaqa is derived from Sidq meaning that the person is giving charity to help the poor and needy confirming his true devotion and service to Allah.

We will discuss the following concepts:

1- To help those who need our help is a sign of belief in Allah and confirms that we understand our accountability to Him

2- This Sadaqa may be money; or our effort or a kind word; or not harming others

3- There are certain guidelines in giving Sadaqa

4- The rewards of Sadaqa is great

5- Giving Sadaqa is a characteristic of Allah’s righteous servants.

Giving Sadaqa confirms our belief in Allah

If Allah blessed us with money, good health or knowledge, then we should acknowledge His blessing by sharing Allah’s gifts with those who are less fortunate. Some may need direct financial aid if they are poor and cannot meet their obligations. Others may need guidance in the form of sound sincere advice. Others may need comfort and a good word. All are forms of Sadaqa that will count in our favor.

The Qur’an tells us :

Believe in Allah and His Messenger, and spend (in charity) out of the (substance) whereof He has made you heirs. For, those of you who believe and spend (in charity); for them is a great Reward. (Al-Hadeed 57:7)

To Allah belong everything in the heavens and earth; we use what He provides for us during our life; He is the real owner :

And what cause have ye why ye should not spend in the cause of Allah? For to Allah belongs the heritage of the heavens and the earth. Not equal among you are those who spent (freely) and fought, before the Victory, (with those who did so later). Those are higher in rank than those who spent (freely) and fought afterwards. But to all has Allah promised a goodly (reward). And Allah is well acquainted with all that ye do. (Al-Hadeed 57 : 10)

The reward that Allah promised to His servants that do good and spend in charity out of what He provided for them depends on :

· How much benefit results from their effort

· The situation and the need that exists at the time

· The degree of difficulty they encounter

· Their sincerity and devotion.

Therefore, those who spend when the need is great are rewarded more than those who spend when times are good.

CHARITY INVOLVES MONEY, EFFORT, KNOELEDGE AND HELPING OTHERS

Abi Musa Al-Asha’ri ( may Allah be pleased with him ) related that the Messenger of Allah ( PBUH ) said :

( There is a Sadaqa ( charity ) due on every Muslim; if he cannot give because he has no money, let him work then he can support himself and give charity; if he is unable to work, then let him help someone in need of his help; if he does not do that, let him adjoin good; if he does not do that, then he should not do evil or harm others: it will be written for him as a Sadaqa )

(Narrated by Ahmad,Bokhari, Muslim & Nesa’ee)

If we understand our accountability to Allah, we then realize that one day we will be asked to account for our money : what did we do with it ? Did we use to help others and support good projects in our community and make life better for those less fortunate; or did we use it only for selfish reasons : to indulge and follow our vain desires ! Those who use their wealth not in the cause of Allah but to amaze more wealth or to oppress others will be punished on the Day of Judgment:

And let not those who covetously withhold of the gifts which Allah hath given them of His Grace, think that it is good for them: nay, it will be the worse for them; soon shall the things which they covetously withheld be tied to their necks like a twisted collar, on the Day of Judgment. To Allah belongs the heritage of the heavens and the earth; and Allah is well-acquainted with all that ye do. (Al-Imran 3 : 180)

GUIDELINES IN GIVING SADAQA

The goal of giving charity is to help those in need without offending their feelings or to show off. Therefore, Sadaqa should be given:

1- In secret whenever possible

2- In a way that does not show that the person giving Sadaqa is better or out of his generosity and good heart is helping the poor who cannot survive without him and who depends on him

3- The goal is to enrich rather than just give a meager amount

4- To give the best that we have.

GIVE CHARITY IN SECRET

Whenever possible charity should be given in secret. This way the feeling of those receiving our charity is respected and their identity kept secret.

If ye disclose (acts of) charity, even so it is well, but if ye conceal them, and make them reach those (really) in need, that is best for you: it will remove from you some of your (stains of) evil. And Allah is well acquainted with what ye do. (Al-Baqara 2 : 271)

Prophet Muhammad ( PBUH ) illustrates in his Hadeeth the importance of giving charity in secret, when he states that one of the seven categories of people who will be protected and honored on the Day of Judgment is the person who gives charity in secret in such a way that his left hand does not know what his right hand is spending :

Abi Hurairra ( may Allah be pleased with him ) related that Allah’s messenger ( PBUH ) said :

( seven people will be protected and honored in Allah’s shade on the Day of Judgment, when there will be no shade except His shade and protection :

· A just ruler

· A young man raised serving and worshiping Allah

· A man whose heart is preoccupied with the mosques

· Two men who love one another for the sake of Allah; they join together for His sake, and they depart for His sake

· And a man who was seduced by a woman of power and beauty but he resisted saying “ I fear Allah “

· And a man who concealed his charity that his left hand did not know what his right hand is spending

· And a man who remembered Allah, while he was all alone, and he wept.

Narrated by Bokhari & Muslim.

DO NOT CANCEL YOUR CHARITY BY REMINDERS OF YOUR GENEROSITY

We should feel grateful to the person accepting our charitable deed, and not harm his feeling by reminders of our generosity.

Kind words and the covering of faults are better than charity followed by injury. Allah is Free of all wants, and He is Most Forbearing. (Al-Baqara 2 : 263)

O ye who believe! Cancel not your charity by reminders of your generosity or by injury, like those who spend their substance to be seen of men, but believe neither in Allah nor in the Last Day. They are in Parable like a hard barren rock, on which is a little soil; on it falls heavy rain, which leaves it (just) a bare stone. They will be able to do nothing with aught they have earned. And Allah guideth not those who reject Faith. (Al-Baqara 2 : 264)

THE GOAL OF GIVING CHARITY IS TO ENRICH

When we give we should give a lot to enrich others and allow them to become independent. Abi Horaira ( may Allah be pleased with him ) related that Allah’s messenger ( PBUH ) said :

( The needy is not he who asks people and they give him one or two morcel or one or two dates ) They asked : Who is he then ? He said : ( He is the person who does not find a rich person to give him enough to enrich him; or aware of his trouble and provides for him in charity; because he does not ask others for help ) (Narrated by Bokhari & Muslim)

GIVE OF THE BEST THAT YOU HAVE

We are told to give in charity out of the best that we have, and the things that we love the most :

By no means shall ye attain righteousness unless ye give (freely) of that which ye love; and whatever ye give, of a truth Allah knoweth it well. (Al-Imran 3 : 92)

And :

O ye who believe! Give of the good things which ye have (honourably) earned, and of the fruits of the earth which We have produced for you, and do not even aim at getting anything which is bad, in order that out of it ye may give away something, when ye yourselves would not receive it except with closed eyes. And know that Allah is free of all wants, and worthy of all praise. (Al-Baqara 2 : 267)

THE REWARD FOR GIVING CHARITY IS GREAT

Allah promised a great reward for those giving charity in His cause as long as they observe the guidelines we outlined:

1- The best charity is that given out of what you do and earn.

2- Give charity before it is too late

3- Your wealth will not decrease because of your charity

4- Do not be extravagant but live and give in moderation

5- Charity wipes out our sins

6- Charity earns us Allah’s forgiveness and blessings

The best charity is that given out of what we make and earn

Anas ( may Allah be pleased with him ) related that Allah’s messenger ( PBUH ) said :

( Every Muslim who plants a seed or plant, then another human being or a bird or animal eats from it, till it is written for him as a charity ) (Narrated by Bokhari & Muslim)

Al-Meqdad Bin Ma’d Yakrib ( may Allah be pleased with him ) related that Allah’s messenger ( PBUH ) said :

( The best earning is that which your hands have earned; whenever a man spends on himself, or his family, children and servant, it is considered as a charity for him ) (Narrated by Ibn Majja)

GIVE CHARITY BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE

We should give in charity while we are alive and before it is too late and we have no chance of availing ourselves of the reward and benefit of giving in charity:

A man asked the messenger of Allah ( PBUH ) who is most deserving of his company ! He said ( your mother; then your mother; then your mother; then your father ). Then he asked him what should I do with my money as far as giving Sadaqa ( charity ? He said : ( To give charity when you are healthy and not prone or unwilling to part with your money, because you look to enjoy yourself with your money, and fearful of becoming poor; rather than wait till it is too late, and you are about to die, then you say : “ I give this to this person and give this to this person, because by that time it is already theirs even if you do not like it ) (Narrated by Ibn Majja, Bokhari & Muslim on the authority of Abou Horaira)

OUR WEALTH WILL NOT DECREASE IF WE GIVE IN CHARITY

Allah promised to replace everything that we give in charity, and Allah is true to His promise:

Say: "Verily my Lord enlarges and restricts the Sustenance to such of His servants as He pleases: and nothing do ye spend in the least (in His Cause) but He replaces it: for He is the Best of those who grant Sustenance. (Sa’ Ba 34 : 39)

Prophet Muhammad ( PBUH ) emphasized this concept :

Abou Horaira ( may Allah be pleased with him ) related that Allah’s messenger ( PBUH ) said :

( No money ever decreases because of charity; when a servant of Allah forgives, Allah increases him in dignity; and whenever a person humbles himself to Allah, Allah will elevate his status ) (Narrated by Bokhari & Muslim)

DO NOT BE EXTRAVAGENT AND LIVE YOUR LIFE IN MODERATION

Islam is not against being rich or enjoying life. Islam warns us from becoming arrogant and extravagant or feeling that our wealth alone will shield us from Allah. If we use our money properly, we get reward for our good deeds. But if we oppress others or fail to help those who need our help and use our money for only selfish reasons, then our money will be used to punish us during our accountability :

They said: "We have more in wealth and in sons, and we cannot be punished." (Sa Ba 34 : 35)

Say; "Verily my Lord enlarges and restricts the Provision to whom He pleases, but most men understand not." (Sa Ba 34 : 36)

It is not your wealth nor your sons, that will bring you nearer to Us in degree: but only those who believe and work righteousness, these are the ones for whom there is a multiplied Reward for their deeds, while secure they (reside) in the dwellings on high! (Sa Ba 34 : 37)

Those who strive against Our Signs, to frustrate them, will be given over into Punishment. (Sa Ba 34 : 38)

Prophet Muhammad ( PBUH ) said :

( Eat and give charity and dress up but not in an extravagant manner or to show off ) (Narrated by Nesa ‘ee, Ibn Majja & Hakim on the authority of Abdullah Bin Amrou.)

CHARITY WIPES OUT OUR SINS

Allah promised forgiveness of our sins if we give in charity and give to the poor and needy. He honored our charity and described it as a “ beautiful loan to Allah “ to emphasize that we are doing something good that He loves, and that He himself will pay our loan back to us doubled :

If ye loan to Allah a beautiful loan, He will double it to your (credit), and He will grant you Forgiveness: for Allah is Most Ready to appreciate (service), Most Forbearing, (At-Taghabun 64 : 17)

And:

Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan? For (Allah) will increase it manifold to his credit, and he will have (besides) a liberal reward. (Al-Hadeed 57 : 11)

Prophet Muhammad ( PBUH ) emphasized that giving charity wipes out our sins :

Mo’Adh Bin Jabal ( may Allah be pleased with him ) related that Allah’s messenger ( PBUH ) said when he asked him about a deed that will allow him to enter paradise:

( You asked me about something great, but it is easy for the person whom Allah makes it easier for him: worship Allah and do not associate anyone else with Him; and establish regular prayer; and give in charity; and fast Ramadan; and perform Hajj ). Then he said : ( Shall I tell the gates of goodness : Fasting is protection; and charity wipes out the sin as water extinguishes the fire; and the prayer of the man during the night. Then he recited the verse:

Their limbs do forsake their beds of sleep, the while they call on their Lord, in Fear and Hope: and they spend (in charity) out of the sustenance which We have bestowed on them. (As-Sajda 32 : 16)

Now no person knows what delights of the eye are kept hidden (in reserve) for them, as a reward for their (good) Deeds. (As-Sajda 32 : 17)

(Narrated by Termedhi, Nesa’ee & Ibn Majja on the authority of Mo’adh Bin Jabal)

CHARITY ALLOWS US TO ENTER PARADISE

When we give in charity, we confirm our belief in Allah and obey His orders and understand our accountability to Him. Prophet Muhammad ( PBUH ) told us that giving in charity with sincere devotion to Allah earns us Allah’s reward and His paradise :

Iyad Bin Himar ( may Allah be pleased with him ) related that Allah’s messenger ( PBUH ) said :

( The people in paradise are three : A person with authority who is just, gives in charity and guided ; and a man who is merciful, tender-hearted feeling for every relative and for every Muslim; and a person who is content with what Allah provides for him, does not ask others and he has many children to support ) (Narrated by Muslim)

ALLAH INCREASES THE REWARD OF OUR CHARITABLE DEEDS

Whenever we give in charity from earning that is lawful, Allah multiplies our good deed :

Abou Horaira ( may Allah be pleased with him ) related that Allah’s messenger ( PBUH ) said :

( Anyone who gives a charity even a date from lawful earning, but Allah takes it with his right hand and let it grow for him as one of you takes care of his young horse or young camel and sees him grow, till that date or charity becomes like a mountain or even bigger ) (Narrated by Bokhari & Muslim)

Even the provision that we provide for our families from the work that we do is rewarded by Allah as a charity that we spend in His cause and we are given our due reward :

Al-Me’dam Bin Ma’d ( may Allah be pleased with him ) related that Allah’s messenger ( PBUH ) said :

( There is nothing better than the earning that we earn with our own hands; and whatever the man spends on himself, or family or children or servant, it is written for him as charity ) (Narrated by Ibn Majja)

SADAQA is voluntary while ZAKA is obligatory

For zakah, there are direct commands of Allah in the imperative [AATTOOZAKA] while SADAQA is not enjoined in the Quran in the imperative. Moreover, 2:280; 4:92; 5:45 also depict the voluntary aspect of the word SADAQA.

SADAQA is for the sake of Allah alone

The verses 9:104; 57:18 indicate this aspect

Some differences between ZAKA and SADAQA

1. Zakah is obligatory while Sadaqa is supererogatory or voluntary. The money for the purpose of zaka can be taken by force by the authorities while for Sadaqa, this is not the case

2. Zakah must be managed by a central authority while Sadaqa may be given individually or through authorities

3. Sadaqa is usually for exigencies or a sudden unforeseen crisis while Zaka is a continuous program aimed at providing the resources for the physical and personal development of the people

4. For Zakah, no categories of people have been mentioned in the Quran to whom it is for. [it is for the general physical and personal development of all]. For sadaqa, the categories of people whom it is for is mentioned.

5. In a bid to establish an economic system based upon the Quranic teachings, Sadaqa may be a measure much prevalent in the transitory stage while Zakaat will be the main hallmark of the maturity of such a system when all will be provided what they need for their physical and personal development

6. To affect Zakah, an Islamic authority may levy fixed taxes of different sorts changeable according to the economic state of the nation but for Sadaqa, there is no fixed amount.

:wa:

Sources: http://www.icgc.info/Lectures/SADAQA1.htm

http://quranicteachings.co.uk/sadaqa.htm

ardianto
04-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Alhamdulillah,

Finally, brother Hamza81 comes with right and complete answer.

Jazak Allah Khair, Akhee.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!