PDA

View Full Version : Ugly people



Alpha Dude
03-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Asalamu alaykum,

A general reminder to muslims who stigmatise, make fun of, laugh at or feel uncomfortable in the presence of deformed, unfortunate looking, perhaps disabled but in the end those considered to be 'ugly' people.

We shouldn't look down upon those people who have been unfortunate enough to be facing such a hardship. Allah is the one that is trying them in that manner and they must have faced extreme harrassment from ignorant people their whole lives and then for us as muslims to mock them on top of that?

It is not befitting the adab of muslims. It shows contempt of Allah, for Allah is the one who has fashioned those unfortunate people in that manner.

Does anyone know the story of Julaybib Radi Allah Anhu?

Mocking is unfortunate jahil behaviour. Very bad adab and speaks volumes about a person's character.

A polite reminder to you all. Say Alhamdulilah for what Allah has not tried you with. Never mock others.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
zana
03-02-2010, 11:18 AM
There is no need for people to judge peoples looks, who says these people are ugly maybe they are a beauty within themselves. And always know allah is watching and listening and can change everything
Reply

Raaina
03-02-2010, 11:21 AM
I nice reminder on how we should be thankful for everything Allah has given us.

People are never ugly, people are all different and beautiful individually. :)
Reply

SweetCherryPie
03-02-2010, 03:44 PM
I agree. It's a shame to see some people stoop that low in that, they feel they have the right to condemn "ugly" people. I don't even like the word 'ugly'. It's such a negative word.

Come to think of it, the only time I'll use 'ugly' is when it comes to fashion :P
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
cat eyes
03-02-2010, 03:50 PM
i even hate the word ugly.. i use to use it alot before i became a muslim but now ive changed obviously anyway i think the one who calls others ugly they are ugly themselves
Reply

-Fallen Angel-
03-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by cat eyes
i even hate the word ugly.. i use to use it alot before i became a muslim but now ive changed obviously anyway i think the one who calls others ugly they are ugly themselves
I agree. Those who call others ugly are themselves insecure about themselves, or just don't appreciate that they are more fortunate than others. Aside from that everyone is unique and equally beautiful, no matter how they look, it's what's inside that counts. Nobody should be looked down upon in the situation.
Reply

Cabdullahi
03-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by cat eyes
i even hate the word ugly.. i use to use it alot before i became a muslim but now ive changed obviously anyway i think the one who calls others ugly they are ugly themselves
you used to use it to make others cry or did you used to use it to make yourself cry?

if you did the first one then thats harsh! :cry:
Reply

Supreme
03-02-2010, 04:56 PM
The obsession with looks is the bane of Western culture. From experience, poor self esteem is the worst feeling in the world- it's never nice.
Reply

tango92
03-02-2010, 05:04 PM
^i can relate
but praise Allah when i sorted out my religion, Allah established me in a good equilibrium
Reply

Cabdullahi
03-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Supreme
The obsession with looks is the bane of Western culture. From experience, poor self esteem is the worst feeling in the world- it's never nice.
Spot on supreme! i can somewhat relate to that :cry:
Reply

Life_Is_Short
03-02-2010, 05:16 PM
You get reward for being good to Allah's creation. :)

In Julaybib, there is the example of a person who was almost regarded as a social outcast because of his appearance. Given help, confidence and encouragement by the noble Prophet, he was able to perform acts of courage and make the supreme sacrifice and deserve the commendation of the Prophet: "He is of me and I am of him."
Full story here.
Reply

Misz_Muslimah
03-02-2010, 06:54 PM
^ Jazaakalahu khayran for sharing sis :)
Reply

Danah
03-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Asalamu alaykum,

A general reminder to muslims who stigmatise, make fun of, laugh at or feel uncomfortable in the presence of deformed, unfortunate looking, perhaps disabled but in the end those considered to be 'ugly' people.

We shouldn't look down upon those people who have been unfortunate enough to be facing such a hardship. Allah is the one that is trying them in that manner and they must have faced extreme harrassment from ignorant people their whole lives and then for us as muslims to mock them on top of that?

It is not befitting the adab of muslims. It shows contempt of Allah, for Allah is the one who has fashioned those unfortunate people in that manner.

Does anyone know the story of Julaybib Radi Allah Anhu?

Mocking is unfortunate jahil behaviour. Very bad adab and speaks volumes about a person's character.

A polite reminder to you all. Say Alhamdulilah for what Allah has not tried you with. Never mock others.
For someone to make fun of others' looks he is actually make fun of Allah's creation, hence mocking Allah Himself...Astaghfirullah!

JazakAllah khair for the reminder
Reply

paradise88
03-02-2010, 09:28 PM
I see many muslims call people ugly all the time or judge people cos they are not fair skinned because thats suposidly meant 2mke sum1 better looking. It annoys me, its insulting Allahs creation :(
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
03-02-2010, 09:54 PM
alpha


ur aaaaaaaaaalrite :)
Reply

Italianguy
03-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Everyone is beautiful...EVERYONE! Especially all of you! Were are all created by God, so we must be beautiful. To make fun of or insult one Gods creations, would almost be like saying God messed up. Pleasssssssssssee, God has never messed up. Perfect in every way is our God.

God be with you......stay pretty....or handsome ....sorry dudes, wouldn't want to call you pretty.lol
Reply

PouringRain
03-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by Italianguy
Everyone is beautiful...EVERYONE! Especially all of you! Were are all created by God, so we must be beautiful. To make fun of or insult one Gods creations, would almost be like saying God messed up. Pleasssssssssssee, God has never messed up. Perfect in every way is our God.

God be with you......stay pretty....or handsome ....sorry dudes, wouldn't want to call you pretty.lol

Agreed 100%. About your last statement, even men can be absolutely beautiful inside and out.
Reply

Beardo
03-03-2010, 01:06 AM
This is a really good reminder for us all. Jazakumullahu Khair Bro Alpha Dude.

It's essential to remember that our looks come from Allah, and we did nothing to earn them.
Reply

Italianguy
03-03-2010, 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by PouringRain
Agreed 100%. About your last statement, even men can be absolutely beautiful inside and out.
This is true sister!
Reply

**noora**
03-03-2010, 01:49 AM
:sl:

which of the favors of your lord will ye deny?

To some Allah swt has made beautiful to some he made disable etc etc but each person possess good within themselves and that Is a favor of Allah swt on his creations.

We look at the good of the person and not judge them by their outer appearances.When we see anyone with a disability etc we say Alahumdulillah that Allah swt has blessed us as we are and make dua for the disable person.

Due to the trial they maybe going through will earn them Jannah InshaAllah and if we scoff them and do not accept them what will that earn us?

We just need to picture us in the other persons shoes,only then will we grateful.

Abu Hurairah reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said: “If one sees an afflicted person and says, ‘Praise and thanks be to Allah Who has saved me from what he has afflicted you with, and has honored me over many of His creatures,’ he will be saved from that affliction.” (Reported by Tirmidhi, who considers it sound)

لْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي عَافَانِي مِمَّا ابْتَلَاكَ بِهِ وَفَضَّلَنِي عَلَى كَثِيرٍ مِمَّنْ خَلَقَ تَفْضِيلَاً

An-Nawawi states that the scholars said, “One should say the above mentioned supplication inaudibly so that the afflicted person should not hear it, lest he should be grieved by it. But if the affliction is the result of his sinful conduct then there is no harm in his listening if he is not heedful of evil.”
Source: Fiqh-us-Sunnah, volume 4, #126a.
Reply

PouringRain
03-03-2010, 02:02 AM
One of the absolute most beautiful persons I have ever known was a man who had been born with a disability. No matter how severe his pain, he constantly was happy and gave thanks to God. I could tell you all about this beautiful man, but I don't have the time right now.
Reply

syilla
03-03-2010, 06:11 AM
salams..

I just think sometimes people don't really meant what they say...and sometimes we're being too defensive.

InshaAllah with the right attitude and character... we will feel more confident with ourselves. and we will feel grateful of every inch of our body given by Allah swt...because every creation of Allah swt is beautiful. and InshaAllah from there...we don't feel the need to feel 'hurt' for others 'hurtful' remark :).
Reply

Ğħαrєєвαħ
03-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Jazakallah for the Great Reminder
May Allaah help the Muslims and keep them on the right paths, and following the commandments of the Right Path..Indeed .Ameen
Reply

Misz_Muslimah
03-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Muslim World 12
May Allaah help the Muslims and keep them on the right paths, and following the commandments of the Right Path..Indeed .Ameen
Ameeen .
Reply

CosmicPathos
03-14-2010, 07:27 PM
The question that sometimes pops up in my head is that why did these people have to be born with such disabilities .... why be tested by God by not even being a completely functioning human .... any answers to that? I've met disabled people who are way more thankful to God than I am .... I dont know why dont they feel depressed in the situation they find themselves in, maybe the fault lies in me cuz shaitan has seeped into every neuron of my brain.
Reply

Misz_Muslimah
03-14-2010, 07:35 PM
^ People are born with disabilities because Allah decreed for it to be that way..And there's wisdom behind everything that happens..but we don't know
And also, disabled people are thankful to God because they think about all the other blessings Allah gave them but because we have so many blessings that we don't even realise, we sometimes forget to thank Allah..
Hope that answers your question ..
Reply

CosmicPathos
03-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Misz_Muslimah
^ People are born with disabilities because Allah decreed for it to be that way..And there's wisdom behind everything that happens..but we don't know
And also, disabled people are thankful to God because they think about all the other blessings Allah gave them but because we have so many blessings that we don't even realise, we sometimes forget to thank Allah..
Hope that answers your question ..
So in essence what you said proves that we hve no free-will in the end. Everything is decreed by God, even our free-will. An analogy that makes it easier for me to think: God carved out the path of river to the ocean. We are the river waters flowing in that path. Also flowing because God willed it so.
Reply

Misz_Muslimah
03-14-2010, 07:38 PM
^ What do you mean about free will? :hmm:
Reply

CosmicPathos
03-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Misz_Muslimah
^ What do you mean about free will? :hmm:
the choice to do things the way we want. If someone is a Muslim then it is because God has decreed it so. If someone is a kaafir then it is also because God has decreed it so. Everything has been decreed in Lauhun mahfooz.
Reply

Alpha Dude
03-14-2010, 08:02 PM
:sl:
Originally Posted by mad_scientist
So in essence what you said proves that we hve no free-will in the end. Everything is decreed by God, even our free-will. An analogy that makes it easier for me to think: God carved out the path of river to the ocean. We are the river waters flowing in that path. Also flowing because God willed it so.
We do have choice between right and wrong.

What do you make of the hadith that says dua is one thing that can change a person's destiny?

From what I understand, a person is able to make dua that Allah grants him Jannah and his final resting place, if it was first destined to be hell, can be changed.
Reply

CosmicPathos
03-14-2010, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
:sl:

We do have choice between right and wrong.

What do you make of the hadith that says dua is one thing that can change a person's destiny?

From what I understand, a person is able to make dua that Allah grants him Jannah and his final resting place, if it was first destined to be hell, can be changed.
if I remember reading from Islamqa, the sheikh said that dua changing a destiny is also an act which has been pre-decreed by God. So Allah swt had decreed that a person will make dua and as a result his destiny will change.
Reply

tango92
03-14-2010, 08:22 PM
^dude you say the strangest things sometimes. Allah cant be unjust. if he says he has given us free will he has no reason to lie.

at the end of the day Allah knows the decisions we will make but we havent been forced to do them. just like i know my son will aways run home after school and play ps3 doesnt mean ive forced him to do it.
Reply

Alpha Dude
03-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Allahu Alam. I'd have to see the actual article and see what the consensus of Ahlul Sunnah Wal Jamah is on this issue, to accept for certain what the shaykh said.

Regardless, the bigger issue here is that we have been told to not delve to deeply into this particular issue of qadr.

Therefore, it is an incorrect approach of you to make proclamations like us having no freewill. Think of the implications of that: it would give us an excuse on the day of judgement that we were not responsibe for our actions and it would render any divine punishment unjust. Obviously, we know that Allah is Al Adl, The Most Just, hence something is amiss in that assumption of yours.

The correct approach on this matter is to accept that Allah has withheld the knowledge of qadr. It is a confusing matter, especially for the layman and thus we have been told to avoid it.

It is enough that, if you accept Allah as real and Prophet Muhammad Sallalahu Alaihe Was Salam as being truthful, that you submit and not question such issues more than is necessary. Don't open the door to shaytan bro.
Reply

CosmicPathos
03-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by tango92
^dude you say the strangest things sometimes. Allah cant be unjust. if he says he has given us free will he has no reason to lie.

at the end of the day Allah knows the decisions we will make but we havent been forced to do them. just like i know my son will aways run home after school and play ps3 doesnt mean ive forced him to do it.
I did not say Allah is unjust. if Allah has pre-destined someone to Hell, how is it unjust? Allah is the best of Judges and His decision is the best one. The only thing is that we do not know what Allah has pre-destined. So we keep trying .... that is all humans can do in the end ... keep trying. Allah had pre-destined that Muslims will loose in Uhad, that is exactly what happened despite the efforts made by Muslims. We can say ooh they made this and that error and did not listen to Prophet's command but you ever noticed that some people make so many mistakes yet they dont get to see failures and success is always shining on them?



From Islamqa:

You should also note that belief in al-qadar is not valid unless you believe in the four aspects of al-qadar, which are as follows:

1 – Belief that Allaah knows all things, in general terms and in detail, from eternity to eternity. Not a single atom is unknown to Him in the heavens or on earth.

2 – Belief that Allaah has decreed all things in al-Lawh al-Mahfooz, fifty thousand years before He created the heavens and the earth.

3 – Belief that the will of Allaah is irresistable and His decree is comprehensive, so nothing happens in this universe, good or bad, but by His will.

4 – Belief that all that exists was created by Allaah. He is the Creator of all beings and the Creator of their attributes and actions, as He says (interpretation of the meaning)...


So, we do have a free-will. But this free-will works according to what God has willed. Proof? From islam qa http://islamqa.com/en/ref/49004/free%20will

"That a person’s will and ability do not operate outside the will and decree of Allaah, Who is the One Who has given him that ability and made him able to distinguish (between good and evil) and make his choice, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And you cannot will unless (it be) that Allaah wills the Lord of the ‘Aalameen (mankind, jinn and all that exists)”

[al-Takweer 81:29]"
Reply

CosmicPathos
03-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Allahu Alam. I'd have to see the actual article and see what the consensus of Ahlul Sunnah Wal Jamah is on this issue, to accept for certain what the shaykh said.

Regardless, the bigger issue here is that we have been told to not delve to deeply into this particular issue of qadr.

Therefore, it is an incorrect approach of you to make proclamations like us having no freewill. Think of the implications of that: it would give us an excuse on the day of judgement that we were not responsibe for our actions and it would render any divine punishment unjust. Obviously, we know that Allah is Al Adl, The Most Just, hence something is amiss in that assumption of yours.

The correct approach on this matter is to accept that Allah has withheld the knowledge of qadr. It is a confusing matter, especially for the layman and thus we have been told to avoid it.

It is enough that, if you accept Allah as real and Prophet Muhammad Sallalahu Alaihe Was Salam as being truthful, that you submit and not question such issues more than is necessary. Don't open the door to shaytan bro.
I agree. Its a constant battle of reason and belief. Some people overcome it. For others it remains a matter of concern till death takes them. As umar (ra) said that he was thankful that Allah (swt) did not try him in matters of belief after he accepted Islam till his death. I pray to God to not try us in belief as well.
Reply

CosmicPathos
03-14-2010, 09:07 PM
double post post
Reply

Uthman
03-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Regarding the issue of qadr, I heard an answer to this by Sheikh Yasir Qadhi which made sense. He explained that Qadr is of various levels. There is the ultimate Qadr which is already known to Allah and which doesn't change. There is also the yearly Qadr and weekly Qadr which does change but these changes were already known to Allah and so it doesn't affect the ultimate Qadr.

I can't explain it very well but I agree with Br. Alpha that, as layman, we shouldn't get ourselves into a muddle by delving into it too much as the texts forbid us from doing so. And Allah knows best.
Reply

revert2007
03-16-2010, 01:57 AM
jazaka Allah khair for the reminder
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!