/* */

PDA

View Full Version : This tide of anti-Muslim hatred is a threat to us all

Uthman
03-02-2010, 07:24 PM
By Seumas Milne

The attempt to drive Islamists and young Asian activists out of the political mainstream is a dangerous folly.

If young British Muslims had any doubts that they are singled out for special treatment in the land of their birth, the punishments being meted out to those who took part in last year's London demonstrations against Israel's war on Gaza will have dispelled them. The protests near the Israeli *embassy at the height of the onslaught were angry: bottles and stones were thrown, a *Starbucks was trashed and the police employed unusually violent tactics, even by the standards of other recent confrontations, such as the G20 protests.

But a year later, it turns out that it's the sentences that are truly exceptional. Of 119 people arrested, 78 have been charged, all but two of them young *Muslims (most between the ages of 16 and 19), according to Manchester University's Joanna Gilmore, even though such figures in no way reflect the mix of those who took part. In the past few weeks, 15 have been convicted, mostly of violent disorder, and jailed for between eight months and two-and-a-half years – *having switched to guilty pleas to avoid heavier terms. Another nine are up to be sentenced tomorrow.

The severity of the charges and sentencing goes far beyond the official response to any other recent anti-war demonstration, or even the violent stop the City protests a decade ago. So do the arrests, many of them carried out months after the event in dawn raids by dozens of police officers, who smashed down doors and handcuffed family members as if they were suspected terrorists. Naturally, none of the more than 30 complaints about police *violence were upheld, even where video *evidence was available.

Nothing quite like this has happened, in fact, since 2001, when young Asian Muslims rioted against extreme rightwing racist groups in Bradford and other northern English towns and were subjected to heavily disproportionate prison terms. In the Gaza protest cases, the judge has explicitly relied on the Bradford precedent and repeatedly stated that the sentences he is handing down are intended as a deterrent.

For many in the Muslim community, the point will be clear: not only that these are political sentences, but that different rules apply to Muslims, who take part in democratic protest at their peril. It's a dangerous message, especially given the threat from a tiny minority that is drawn towards indiscriminate violence in response to Britain's wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and rejects any truck with mainstream politics.

But it's one that is constantly *reinforced by politicians and parts of the media, who have increasingly blurred the distinction between violent and non- violent groups, demonised Islamism as an alien threat and branded as extremist any Muslim leader who dares to campaign against western foreign policy in the Muslim world. That's reflected in the government's targeting of "nonviolent extremism" and lavish funding of anti-Islamist groups, as well as in Tory plans to ban the nonviolent Hizb ut-Tahrir and crack down ever harder on "extremist written material and speech".

In the media, it takes the form of relentless attempts to expose *Muslims involved in wider politics as secret fanatics and sympathisers with *terrorism. Next week, Channel 4 *Dispatches plans to broadcast the latest in a series of undercover documentaries aimed at revealing the ugly underside of British Muslim political life. In this case, the target is the predominantly British-Bangladeshi Islamic Forum of Europe. From material sent out in advance, the aim appears to be to show the IFE is an "entryist" group in legitimate east *London politics – and unashamedly Islamist to boot.

As recent research co-authored by the former head of the Metropolitan police special branch's Muslim contact unit, Bob Lambert, has shown, such ubiquitous portrayals of Muslim *activists as "terrorists, sympathisers and subversives" (all the while underpinned by a drumbeat campaign against the nonexistent Afghan "burka") are one factor in the alarming growth of *British Islamophobia and the rising tide of anti-Muslim violence and hate crimes that stem from it.

Last month's British Social Attitudes survey found that most people now regard Britain as "deeply divided along religious lines", with hostility to Muslims and Islam far outstripping such attitudes to any other religious group. On the ground that has translated into murders, assaults and attacks on mosques and Muslim institutions – with shamefully little response in politics or the media. Last year, five mosques in Britain were firebombed, from Bishop's Stortford to Cradley Heath, though barely reported in the national press, let alone visited by a government minister to show solidarity.

And now there is a street movement, the English Defence League, directly adopting the officially sanctioned targets of "Islamists" and "extremists" – as well as the "Taliban" and the threat of a "takeover of Islam" – to intimidate and threaten Muslim communities across the country, following the success of the British National party in *baiting Muslims above all other ethnic and religious communities.

Of course, anti-Muslim bigotry, the last socially acceptable racism, is often explained away by the London bombings of 2005 and the continuing threat of terror attacks, even though by far the greatest number of what the authorities call "terrorist incidents" in the UK take place in Northern Ireland, while Europol figures show that more than 99% of terrorist attacks in Europe over the past three years were carried out by non-Muslims. And in the last nine months, two of the most serious bomb plot convictions were of far right racists, Neil Lewington and Terence Gavan, who were planning to kill Muslims.

Meanwhile, in the runup to the *general election, expect some ugly dog whistles from Westminster politicians keen to capitalise on Islamophobic sentiment. With few winnable Muslim votes, the Tories seem especially up for it. Earlier this month, Conservative frontbencher Michael Gove came out against the building of a mosque in his Surrey constituency, while Welsh Tory MP David Davies blamed a rape case on the "medieval and barbaric" attitudes of some migrant communities.

As long as British governments back wars and occupations in the Middle East and Muslim world, there will continue to be a risk of violence in Britain. But attempts to drive British Muslims out of normal political activity, and the refusal to confront anti-Muslim hatred, can only ratchet up the danger and threaten us all.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pygoscelis
03-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Discrimination is bad, but I have hard time feeling bad for rioters who resort to violence.

barney
03-03-2010, 01:06 AM
Agree with Pygo (again).I'll stand up for anyone right to demonstrate. Throw a single rock and all sympathy is off.

جوري
03-03-2010, 01:09 AM
of course.. throwing rocks needs an international upheaval

pls. call the press against those barbarians with rocks!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ramadhan
03-03-2010, 02:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Agree with Pygo (again).I'll stand up for anyone right to demonstrate. Throw a single rock and all sympathy is off.
Funny, how some people object people throwing rocks while having no qualms in supporting governments who invaded other countries and killing millions of their citizens.

Italianguy
03-03-2010, 03:13 AM
I am all for standing up for what you believe! Bring some rocks lets have a party, well, according to Ms. Skyes photo...better bring some boulders!:p

I like rocks, why so much rock hatred? Big ones, small ones, shiny ones. I throw them at those who try to appose believers.

Sorry, I appologise, I shouldn't throw rocksimsad

Italianguy
03-03-2010, 03:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
of course.. throwing rocks needs an international upheaval

pls. call the press against those barbarians with rocks!
Now that guy has guts! God be with him!

sister herb
03-03-2010, 03:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
Now that guy has guts! God be with him!
Zionist occupiers killed that "boy with rock on his hand" two days after taking this picture.

May Allah be mercy to him.

imsad

Italianguy
03-03-2010, 03:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
Zionist occupiers killed that "boy with rock on his hand" two days after taking this picture.

May Allah be mercy to him.

imsad
Now although i feel for him, do you have proof that that happened sister Harb? Just wondering? How have you been? Hope all is well!:D

barney
03-03-2010, 03:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
Funny, how some people object people throwing rocks while having no qualms in supporting governments who invaded other countries and killing millions of their citizens.
Hmm. Cant think of a government I supported that action for. Millions you say?
The Allies in WW2 i suppose, but I wasnt around at that time. We could also throw in the French Revolutionary wars in that case.

I havnt a problem with the Palastinians fighting Israel, or indeed a pan-Arab attack on Israel. They have tried enough times, perhaps they might win if they try again? Why not sell them some proper weapons? Fight the IDF.

I do have a problem with suicide bombers shredding marketplaces packed with civilains as a deliberate act on noncombatants, and I have a problem with Israeli soldiers killing civilians as a deliberate act. There are punishments for illegal use of weapons, and in 2005 alone around 250 IDF soldiers were jailed for this.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_military_prison.

The last deliberate killing of noncombatants in palastine i found was in 2005 Eden Natan-Zada an AWOL IDF soldier killing four civilians. Prior to him nineteen civilains in other dubious circumstances over the previous 2 years. None of which was state sanctioned, but shows a lack of dicipline in the IDF.

The kid throwing rocks at the tank knows he may be arrested and knows he may be roughed up. He also knows that the tank, despite its mighty power, isnt going to turn round and shoot him.He can throw rocks all day long.

sister herb
03-03-2010, 04:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
Now although i feel for him, do you have proof that that happened sister Harb? Just wondering? How have you been? Hope all is well!:D
Sorry I made mistake with time; it wasn´t after two days but after 10 days...

Faris Odeh (Arabic: فارس عودة‎, December 1985–November 9, 2000) was a Palestinian boy shot dead by the Israel Defense Forces near the Karni crossing in the Gaza Strip while throwing stones in the second month of the Al-Aqsa Intifada.

A picture of Odeh standing alone in front of a tank, with a stone in his hand and arm bent back to throw it, was taken by a photojournalist from the Associated Press on October 29, 2000. Ten days later, on November 9, Odeh was again throwing stones at Karni when he was shot in the neck by Israeli troops. The boy and the image subsequently assumed iconic status within the Palestinian territories as symbols of resistance to the area's occupation by Israel.

The iconic picture of Odeh throwing a stone at an Israel Defense Forces tank in the Gaza Strip, October 29, 2000

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faris_Odeh

Pygoscelis
03-03-2010, 03:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
And who would those "some people" be? I hope you're not implying that from my quote (which was in response to people going crazy violent over a few mere words). I have no sympathy for anybody who snaps into violence because somebody said something they don't like. That said, it is wrong to discriminate between people who'd do so based on their religion (which appears to have happened here).

Supreme
03-03-2010, 04:47 PM
The article assumes that all those arrested at the protests outside the embassy were Muslims, which simply isn't true. There were plenty of non Muslims at the protest, and plenty of non Muslims arrested.

But I would agree that Islamophobia is on the rise.

Ramadhan
03-04-2010, 09:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
And who would those "some people" be? I hope you're not implying that from my quote (which was in response to people going crazy violent over a few mere words). I have no sympathy for anybody who snaps into violence because somebody said something they don't like. That said, it is wrong to discriminate between people who'd do so based on their religion (which appears to have happened here).
I didn't imply any particular person on this board with my quote, although some appear to get so touchy and sensitive about it (which indicates something)

I have noticed that many people in the western countries would not tolerate demonstrations where people throwing rocks and yet at the same time give support to their governments in invading Afghanistan and Iraq and killed millions of their people.

Such irony, eh?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!