/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Having a problem in teaching a kid simple Math!

Danah
03-07-2010, 03:06 PM
:sl:

Do we have any teachers here? My friend needs help.

Her brother is in grade one, and it seems that he has some difficulties in adding/subtracting numbers.

What are the simple ways to add/subtract numbers for little kids?
She tried make him count in his fingers but when the number is more than 10 he gets confused. She tried to use pencils and asked him to add one to another but he didn't get that way when it come to subtraction.
She also tried to use the line numbers and he could add very good but couldn't get the answer when it comes to subtraction.

So? any ideas?

Any soon replies will be appreciated.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
★ηαѕιнα★
03-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Advice her to use sweets or marbles. Usually you have loads of those you can use to create above 10 assignments. Will ask a friend of mine inshallah, shes studying for teacher and works with little kids atm.

PouringRain
03-07-2010, 03:31 PM
I would also say sweets, like the above posters said. Small ones that are quite uniform in size, shape, and color work best, but you may want assorted colors depending on what you are doing.

I would make sure I use the candy-counters alongside the written problem.

There are a lot of places you can find worksheets also.
http://www.worksheetfun.com/Subtraction.html

You may have to just make flashcards and have the child memorize. The above teaches the concept behind the problem, but memorizing will help the child know the answers with speed so that not every answer needs counted out.

Danah
03-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks a lot Nasiha, PouringRain

I shall forward those replies to her. What if it was in the exam? there will be no time to use stuff like this during the exam...he will have an exam so soon I guess.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
03-08-2010, 01:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
:sl:

Do we have any teachers here? My friend needs help.

Her brother is in grade one, and it seems that he has some difficulties in adding/subtracting numbers.

What are the simple ways to add/subtract numbers for little kids?
She tried make him count in his fingers but when the number is more than 10 he gets confused. She tried to use pencils and asked him to add one to another but he didn't get that way when it come to subtraction.
She also tried to use the line numbers and he could add very good but couldn't get the answer when it comes to subtraction.

So? any ideas?

Any soon replies will be appreciated.

:w:
wa alaykum us-salaam
generally, when something isnt making sense it just means that along the way, a step has been missed/misunderstood which is why the final result isnt right either.
i would say that he is having trouble grasping the concepts behind the double digitited numbers (i.e 10 and above) so i think its necessary to try tackle that and try to make him understand that 10 just means 1+9 and 11 is 1+10 and just explain that to him, until he's figured out than that its simply following a pattern. so yes, try to make him understand there is a pattern behind it....then when he's understood that, then concentrate on subtracting and adding those numbers together.

some other things to be taken into consideration is if the kid has any learning disabilities. some peoples brains just "bloom" a little later than others.
what are his teachers/tutors like? so so his teachers they teach in a manner that actually helps to improve the students understanding? are the too strict (sometimes this can overwhelm/scare the child) are they not strict enough (sometimes this causes the child not to take the teacher or learning seriously).

What if it was in the exam? there will be no time to use stuff like this during the exam...he will have an exam so soon I guess.
its really important to ensure sure the child has learnt and understood basic concepts BEFORE exam time, until it becomes like second nature to them. otherwise at exam time, they will be simple learning new things, and not revising...plus at the actual exam it may take them longer then the allocated time.

Salahudeen
03-08-2010, 01:51 AM
Maths :raging::raging::raging::raging::raging::raging:

I is getting horrible flashbacks right now of my young years :raging:

the most important thing for a teacher is to never get frustrated at the pupil's lack of ability to comprehend/understand what he is saying.

even if you have to explain 50 times don't get frustrated or lose patience.

try relating what you're teaching to stuff he enjoys and takes an interest in.

he might just be losing focus half way through cos he finds it boring.

syilla
03-10-2010, 02:49 PM
:salamext:

lol... i assure you, sometimes teaching a kid can be such a headache...especially your own children. But i don't mean every kid... lol

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!