/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim women challenge mosque gender

Humbler_359
03-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Muslim women challenge mosque gender separation in United States

WASHINGTON: A group of Muslim women risked arrest on Sunday as they sought to pray in the main area of the Islamic Centre of Washington – an area ordinarily reserved exclusively for men.

“Wooden barriers have to be taken down and women have to be allowed to join, to pray behind the men in the main praying area. That’s our request,” said Fatima Thompson, an American Muslim who converted to the faith 18 years ago. “We are against gender segregation, against the fact that women are put aside or in a totally different room at the mosque,” added Thompson.

The Sunday protest was the second time women have sought to share the main prayer area at the mosque in Washington DC, after a group of 20 women first tried in February.

Their hair covered with headscarves, the group of six women entered the mosque’s prayer area via the main door usually reserved for men and walked through to the room where around 20 men had already arrived.

The imam presiding over the prayer interrupted proceedings to announce by microphone: “We are going to wait, because some people came to disturb the prayer, until the police come and take care of this issue.”

Within minutes, three police officers arrived and told the women to leave or face arrest.

Source
----------------------------

What's wrong with revert Fatima and other women, a very lack of understanding on Islam. mixed genders in mosque??

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamirama
03-09-2010, 12:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Humbler_359
What's wrong with revert Fatima and other women, a very lack of understanding on Islam. mixed genders in mosque??
You usually get these kinds of reverts who wants a washed down their version of Islam. Nothing more than feminist fitna people who haven't left their old ways quite 100%...

جوري
03-09-2010, 12:59 AM
Mosques were never segregated during the time of the prophet how else can women ask Q's?.. however given that nothing is as it was, I feel it necessary now more than ever to put up these walls... people are lucky if they can get a speaker at all, let alone a knowledgeable one.. I have been to mosques where they had a recording instead of live khutbas..

sob7an Allah.. a sign of the time..

جوري
03-09-2010, 01:02 AM

Question and Answer Details

Name of Questioner
Lisa - United States

Title
Partitions Between Men & Women in the Mosque

Question
As-Salamu `aaykum. We have a big controversy going on in our Masjid. Some brothers want to build a wall in the prayer hall musalla to separate men from women. Is that required in Islam? What are the basic rules of Shari`ah on this matter?

Date
15/Jan/2007

Name of Counsellor
Muzammil Siddiqi

Topic
Places of Prayer (Mosques), Mixing

Answer

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear sister in Islam, thanks a lot for your question which reflects your care to have a clear view of the teachings of Islam. Allah commands Muslims to refer to people of knowledge to get themselves well-acquainted with the teachings of Islam as well as all aspects of life.

It is perfectly Islamic to hold meetings of men and women inside the Masjid, whether for prayers or for any other Islamic purpose, without separating them with a curtain, partition or wall.

If there is a concern that the lines of men and women will mix inside the Masajid, then there is no harm in putting a lower barrier, only to demarcate the separate area for women. But women should not be put in a totally separate room in the Masajid unless there is a shortage of space and no other proper arrangement can be done for them.

Giving a detailed answer to the question posed, Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi, president of the Fiqh Council of North America , states:
Both men and women are allowed to pray in the Mosque in the same Jama`ah (congregational prayer). When men and women are together in the Masjid then we should have first men’s lines behind the Imam, then children and then women. This is the way Muslims used to pray behind the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). He did not make or ask his Companions to have a curtain or wall between the lines of men and women. (See Al-Sindi’s Commentary on Sunan An-Nasa’i, p. 798)

According to the Shari`ah, it is not required to have a partition, neither of temporary nor of permanent nature, between men and women in the Masjid.

It is perfectly Islamic to hold meetings of men and women inside the Masjid, whether for prayers or for any other Islamic purpose, without separating them with a curtain, partition or wall.

It is, however, very important that Muslim women come to public gatherings wearing proper Islamic dress, for it is Haram (forbidden) for a Muslim woman to attend a public gathering without a full Islamic dress. She must cover her hair and neck with a scarf, which should also go over her bosom. Her dress should be modest and loose enough in order not to reveal the shape of her body.

It stands to reason that partitions were introduced inside the Masajid later in Islamic history. This was done, perhaps, because some women began coming to Mosques without observing proper Islamic dress, or perhaps, some men wanted to discourage them from coming to Mosques. In the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) there was no curtain or partition in his Masjid, although women used to come to the Masjid almost for every prayer and for many other gatherings. It is, however, reported that they used to come to the Masjid dressed up in long clothes. `A’ishah, the Mother of the Believers (may Allah be pleased with her) said that the believing women used to attend the Dawn prayer with the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). They used to come wrapped up in their long garments and then they used to return to their homes after the prayer, no one could recognize them because of the darkness. (Reported by Al-Bukhari)

Jama`ah means a congregation of people who are praying behind one Imam in continuous lines without any barrier or interruption. As for people who pray behind the Imam, they should either see the Imam or see those who are in front of them. There is no Jama`ah when a person is in one room and his/her Imam in another room, the lines are not continuous and the people behind the Imam are also not visible, otherwise people would not have to come to the Masjid for Jama`ah prayer. They would stay home and pray listening to the loudspeakers from their Masjid or through intercoms. They could nowadays even pray Jama`ah prayer in this way in their own homes listening to the prayer broadcasts coming from Makkah and Madinah on their radios, television sets or through the Internet. But no jurists have ever allowed a Jama`ah prayer in this way.

The definition of Jama`ah that I gave above is a general one and it is applicable to both men and women. Only in the case of necessity this rule can be relaxed. For example, if the Masjid was too small and people had to pray on different levels or in different rooms to accommodate every person then this would be permissible because of necessity. Muslims should not deliberately and for no reason bifurcate their congregation in their Masajid.

If there is a concern that the lines of men and women will mix inside the Masajid, then there is no harm in putting a lower barrier, only to demarcate the separate area for women. But women should not be put in a totally separate room in the Masajid unless there is a shortage of space and no other proper arrangement can be done for them.
The above quotation is excerpted, with slight modifications, from www.islamfortoday.com

Related Questions

- Can Women Pray Jumu`ah?

- Are Women Inferior to Men?

- A Woman Leading Other Women in Prayer

- The Status of Woman in Islam

- Women Praying in Mosques

- Mixing Between Men and Women

- Women Performing I`tikaf in the Mosque

Read more: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...#ixzz0hdYBO8Dv

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
islamirama
03-09-2010, 01:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
Mosques were never segregated during the time of the prophet how else can women ask Q's?.. however given that nothing is as it was, I feel it necessary now more than ever to put up these walls... people are lucky if they can get a speaker at all, let alone a knowledgeable one.. I have been to mosques where they had a recording instead of live khutbas..

sob7an Allah.. a sign of the time..
There is no rules per se prohibiting the women from praying in the main area but as time progresses, rules do come about to accommodate with the time. The type of hijabis we have who have a tight scarf on and tights that puts kuffar women to shame, it has become a necessity to have separate prayer rooms, if nothing then just for shear avoidance of distraction. Besides, i'm sure most women would prefer their own area they can sit comfortably before and after prayer. the modern "muslimahs" are the ones who usually want to go sit with men, its more enjoyable to look around i guess...

جوري
03-09-2010, 01:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
There is no rules per se prohibiting the women from praying in the main area but as time progresses, rules do come about to accommodate with the time. The type of hijabis we have who have a tight scarf on and tights that puts kuffar women to shame, it has become a necessity to have separate prayer rooms, if nothing then just for shear avoidance of distraction. Besides, i'm sure most women would prefer their own area they can sit comfortably before and after prayer. the modern "muslimahs" are the ones who usually want to go sit with men, its more enjoyable to look around i guess...

why would a 'modern Muslima' wish to meet men at the Mosque? surely there are better ways to go about it if that is the intention?.. Most women who frequent a particular Mosque do so are for two reasons:
1- they work in the area and this is the best place to offer prayer
2- their children attend classes or they themselves attend or volunteer there..

in fact I think the partitions should be up because of the men not the 'Modern Muslimas' .. in case you haven't noticed there aren't any khalid ibn ilwaleed or Omar walking around.. and if there were, then how about you start getting this ummah back on track in lieu of speaking of the dress wear of the 'modern Muslima'?

sob7an Allah

FAISAL85
03-09-2010, 01:49 AM
:sl: Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem
its best we explain to eachother with understanding. Because there in lies the problem.
Without a clear understanding and explanation it just leads to more confusion fear and animosity towards Islam. especially in the US.
and honestly, i commend the women for their bravery and i think their decision to protest stems deeper than just wanting equal rights.
maybe they have been hurt bad enough for them to require change.
Have you ever tried explaining to a non muslim woman in the US about why there is segregation in mosques and such? why hijab.. why this why that...ITS HARD. especially when you just dont have the right answer that shows that Islam is about loving one another.
trust me, my mom is catholic and i have 2 many christian women in my family and it hurts to see them think badly about Muslim men and Muslim women. My mom left islam when i was 4 because of those unanswered questions. and no one was there to properly guide her. Allah SWT requires US to spread the correct message of Islam.
And it sez Fatima Thompson is an 18 year revert? Thats a long time, she isnt ignorant to the rules of Islam... her salaat is most likely better than mine. before we judge, we must look at the bigger picture.
So we have to look deeper into these kind of situations.
and I would love to raise a daughter in Islam.
I believe Fatima Thompson started something beautiful.
Its all Allahs order. ;D
but also, honestly, i find it terribly difficult to pray in the masjid if they were women around.:exhausted :embarrass
Not all human beings are strong enough for transcendence.
So many emotions come into play. So i believe the seperation is neccessary.
Allah SWT wants us to make this world beautiful. That is why we have Islam in the first place.
So maybe even if seperated the womans section of the masjid should be just as luminous and equal.
Im going to talk to my father about this, because he can elaborate more for me. I know he will definetly say NO to proposition integration.:p
and maybe shed some light for me as well. inshallah.
Hopefully it is something i accept and believe to be right and true and honest.:wa:

This is a very good paper i read regarding sexually segregated Mosques.
http://www.nyu.edu/classes/keefer/joe/griceford1.html

Ummu Sufyaan
03-09-2010, 02:04 AM
:sl:
this is so so silly of them :heated: they need to be advised badly...

islamirama
03-09-2010, 02:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
why would a 'modern Muslima' wish to meet men at the Mosque? surely there are better ways to go about it if that is the intention?.. Most women who frequent a particular Mosque do so are for two reasons:
1- they work in the area and this is the best place to offer prayer
2- their children attend classes or they themselves attend or volunteer there..

in fact I think the partitions should be up because of the men not the 'Modern Muslimas' .. in case you haven't noticed there aren't any khalid ibn ilwaleed or Omar walking around.. and if there were, then how about you start getting this ummah back on track in lieu of speaking of the dress wear of the 'modern Muslima'?

sob7an Allah
Who wants to meet them, i'm talking about lowering the gaze which is not gona be happening if they want to go sit in the main hall. Most women that visit the mosques do so to chatter, something they probably don't get much time for at home. I've been in several communities and it is always the same issue whether its halaqa time, invited guest lecturer, nasheeha between tawareehs or what not, the women just don't shut up. The imam has to say it several times to zip it or at least go outside if you want to talk. I'm sure the men have their short comings as well but women's attire and disruptive socializing has always been the main issue. If you want to talk about the great muslim figures of the past, then dont' forget it was one of them who banned women from going to masjid when these women ended doing nothing more than causing fitna. Next time your at the masjid, have a keen look around...

FAISAL85
03-09-2010, 02:14 AM
my dad told me about a woman in brooklyn who fought to be Imam in the masjid... everyone went crazy he said laughing. Its a losing battle.
He says integration does not lead to proper devotion and Its Allahs SWT order. for men and women.
I havent found the ayat just yet though.
but in the meantime...

In another words use rational arguments to convince them of the truth of Islam; “Use
your intellect and wisdom to invite them to your Lord and argue with them in a
beautiful manner”
(An Nahl: 125)

جوري
03-09-2010, 02:41 AM
Who wants to meet them, i'm talking about lowering the gaze which is not gona be happening if they want to go sit in the main hall. Most women that visit the mosques do so to chatter, something they probably don't get much time for at home. I've been in several communities and it is always the same issue whether its halaqa time, invited guest lecturer, nasheeha between tawareehs or what not, the women just don't shut up. The imam has to say it several times to zip it or at least go outside if you want to talk. I'm sure the men have their short comings as well but women's attire and disruptive socializing has always been the main issue. If you want to talk about the great muslim figures of the past, then dont' forget it was one of them who banned women from going to masjid when these women ended doing nothing more than causing fitna. Next time your at the masjid, have a keen look around...
You must spend much time in the company of women to know how much they chatter and don't shut and distracted by their disruptive attire?..
instead of surveying the mosque next time for what women do or don't do, how about you focus on your purpose there?..

I also recall that it was a woman that yelled at Umar ibn ilkhtab in a congregation.. or are we selective?

Asserting Women's Rights
Ibn Al-Jauzi narrated the virtues and merits of Umar bin Al-Khattab (Allah bless him) in the following words: Umar forbade the people from paying excessive dowries and addressed them saying: "Don't fix the dowries for women over forty ounces. If ever that is exceeded I shall deposit the excess amount in the public treasury". As he descended from the pulpit, a flat-nosed lady stood up from among the women audience, and said: "It is not within your right". Umar asked: "Why should this not be of my right?" she replied: "Because Allah has proclaimed: 'even if you had given one of them (wives) a whole treasure for dowry take not the least bit back. Would you take it by false claim and a manifest sin'". (Al Nisa, 20). When he heard this, Umar said: "The woman is right and the man (Umar) is wrong. It seems that all people have deeper insight and wisdom than Umar". Then he returned to the pulpit and declared: "O people, I had restricted the giving of more than four hundred dirhams in dowry. Whosoever of you wishes to give in dowry as much as he likes and finds satisfaction in so doing may do so". quoted in: "On the Position and Role of Women in Islam and Islamic Society"

Women's Right to Attend Mosques
Narrated Ibn Umar: The Prophet (p.b.u.h) said, "Allow women to go to the Mosques at night." (Bukhari Volume 2, Book 13, Number 22)
Narrated Ibn Umar: One of the wives of Umar (bin Al-Khattab) used to offer the Fajr and the 'Isha' prayer in congregation in the Mosque. She was asked why she had come out for the prayer as she knew that Umar disliked it, and he has great ghaira (self-respect). She replied, "What prevents him from stopping me from this act?" The other replied, "The statement of Allah's Apostle (p.b.u.h) : 'Do not stop Allah's women-slave from going to Allah s Mosques' prevents him." (Bukhari Volume 2, Book 13, Number 23)
Ibn 'Umar reported: Grant permission to women for going to the mosque in the night. His son who was called Waqid said: Then they would make mischief. He (the narrator) said: He thumped his (son's) chest and said: I am narrating to you the hadith of the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him), and you say: No! (Sahih Muslim Book 004, Number 0890)
Ibn Umar reported: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: Do not deprive women of their share of the mosques, when they seek permission from you. Bilal said: By Allah, we would certainly prevent them. 'Abdullah said: I say that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said it and you say: We would certainly prevent them! (Sahih Muslim Book 004, Number 0891)
Yahya related to me from Malik from Yahya ibn Said that Atika bint Zayd ibn Amr ibn Nufayl, the wife of Umar ibn al-Khattab, used to ask Umar ibn al-Khattab for permission to go to the mosque. He would keep silent, so she would say, "By Allah, I will go out, unless you forbid me," and he would not forbid her. (Sunan Abu Dawud Book 14, Number 14.5.14)
The Common Performance of Ablutions
Narrated Ibn Umar: "It used to be that men and women would perform ablutions together in the time of the Messenger of Allah's assembly." (Bukhari: 1: Ch. 45, Book of Ablution)

all the best

islamirama
03-09-2010, 03:04 AM
I'm not going to go into a tit-4-tat game here nor is this a gender war thread. yes a woman did correct the caliph about dowries and yes women are allowed to go to the mosque, yet at the same time they are forbidden to go if they attire isn't all that islamic and the presence there is causing fitna.

Now going back to the thread, it makes sense for these ladies to demand to be in the main hall if the sisters area is unsuitable and not well maintained or if they are demanding to be there during special occasions like guest speakers time. But if that is not the case and they just want to be in main prayer hall to be "equal" and not feel being "shoved away in some room" then they need to get their act together. What's next, demand to stand should to shoulder with men for prayer? or lead the prayers themselves like that one lunatic did?

جوري
03-09-2010, 03:12 AM
I'm not going to go into a tit-4-tat game here nor is this a gender war thread. yes a woman did correct the caliph about dowries and yes women are allowed to go to the mosque, yet at the same time they are forbidden to go if they attire isn't all that islamic and the presence there is causing fitna.

Now going back to the thread, it makes sense for these ladies to demand to be in the main hall if the sisters area is unsuitable and not well maintained or if they are demanding to be there during special occasions like guest speakers time. But if that is not the case and they just want to be in main prayer hall to be "equal" and not feel being "shoved away in some room" then they need to get their act together. What's next, demand to stand should to shoulder with men for prayer? or lead the prayers themselves like that one lunatic did?
I am not having a tit for tat, I am clarifying things so potential converts or enemies of Islam so folks wouldn't be confused. I don't know what happens at the mosques you frequent, but the two I am familiar with don't have these problems .. In fact I am rather surprised at the puerile crowd and attitude you speak of as if an every day occurrence-- from my experience those who want to dress in less than respectable attire and mingle, don't do so in the mosque.. there really is no reason to and I can't imagine why anyone would.. there is always the arcade or whatever other hot spots that are in with today's crowd.

The mosque that I attend the women have a huge upstairs room, with glass windows looking down to see what goes on below and serves as a classroom on sundays to teach Arabic and religion ..

I am not accustomed to 'chatter' or funny attire.. if the folks who frequent can afford either, the last woman my sister had a conversation with there on sunday wanted a job even if it is to 'clean toilets' because her much older husband became gravely ill.

sob7an Allah..

let's fear Allah in the way we speak against our sisters and mothers ey?

:w:

Ramadhan
03-09-2010, 06:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Humbler_359
----------------------------

I don't know exactly what you mean by "mixed genders in mosque", but Masjidil haram and Masjidil Nabawi, the two holiest mosques, are both mixed genders mosque.

Did the prophet SAW ever bar women from entering mosque?

Why can't they just designate a certain area (maybe in the back corner) in the main hall for women and erect barrier/partition to segregate, instead of banishing the women?
That would be a good solution.

it seems this kind of attitude of banishing women to a separate room is more cultural than islamic.

AabiruSabeel
03-09-2010, 07:15 AM
I don't know exactly what you mean by "mixed genders in mosque", but Masjidil haram and Masjidil Nabawi, the two holiest mosques, are both mixed genders mosque.
Masjid Nabawi has completely partitioned - separate section for women. Men cannot enter there. In Masjidul Haram, though men and women enter through the same gates, women have their separate area for praying specially designated for them.

Ramadhan
03-09-2010, 07:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel
Masjid Nabawi has completely partitioned - separate section for women. Men cannot enter there.
I know that they enter from women only section, but their section is still in the main hall separated by partitions (and in the sections near Raudha the partition is made of re-adjustable fabric that allow them access to Raudha during certain hours), not in some little room completely cut off from the main hall. I think this was the issue at hand.

In Masjidul Haram, though men and women enter through the same gates, women have their separate area for praying specially designated for them.
Yes, women have their separate area, but STILL part of the main halls. and there is even little section for them in the back of tawaf area.

The solution I proposed is actually modeled on the arrangement of the Masjidil Haram.

julie sarri
03-09-2010, 07:47 AM
women are arguing about this at least they have a room to pray why are they not happy with that i know a sister who lives on a Ireland in the berharmas and if she wants to go to the masjid she has to travel by boat to the main land so now her and her husband can only travel 2 times a year for the eid prayer we should just be grateful for what we have

aadil77
03-09-2010, 08:04 AM
^ lol I think you meant 'Island'

ardianto
03-09-2010, 08:33 AM
the modern "muslimahs" are the ones who usually want to go sit with men, its more enjoyable to look around i guess...
Why you think those Muslimahs want to sit with men ?.

No, they don't. They just want to pray in Masjid. And from my knowledge, there is no rule in Islam that forbids women to pray in masjid.

ardianto
03-09-2010, 08:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
Yes, women have their separate area, but STILL part of the main halls. and there is even little section for them in the back of tawaf area.

The solution I proposed is actually modeled on the arrangement of the Masjidil Haram.
You get my support.

north_malaysian
03-09-2010, 09:05 AM
how about women having women-only mosques like those in China.. that's great.. when a dude came in they can hit him with a broom... waachaa!!

ardianto
03-09-2010, 10:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
how about women having women-only mosques like those in China.. that's great.. when a dude came in they can hit him with a broom... waachaa!!
But why those women-only mosques are not pink ?.

Asiyah3
03-09-2010, 10:26 AM
That's a good idea, but practically hard to implement. Firstly it's unnecessary, I don't think as much women even pray in mosques daily at least in my area (maybe on fridays yes). Secondly, it sure takes money to have build mosques to both genders :hmm:

This is getting embarrasing, some people just have nothing better to do then worry about curtains - note curtains! :rolleyes:

ardianto
03-09-2010, 01:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by _muslim_
I don't think as much women even pray in mosques daily at least in my area (maybe on fridays yes).
Do you mean those women pray in Salaah Juma'ah (Friday prayer) ?.

In my place, Salaah Juma'ah is only for men, but women never complain because except in Friday noon they can pray in masjid anytime.

UmmSqueakster
03-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Assalamu Alaikum,

Meh, I do not understand why this is international news. In college, some friends and I decided we'd rather pray at the back of the spacious and clean men's section than stay jammed in the minuscule, dirty women's section with dozens of screaming children and a sound system that didn't work well. We managed to do so without reporters. Shock of shocks, we maintained hayaa, and the musulla didn't turn into a meat market.

Asiyah3
03-09-2010, 03:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Do you mean those women pray in Salaah Juma'ah (Friday prayer) ?.
Yes, but there's a curtain of course... Al-hamdulil-Lah.

In my place, Salaah Juma'ah is only for men,
Why is that?

north_malaysian
03-10-2010, 03:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by _muslim_
That's a good idea, but practically hard to implement. Firstly it's unnecessary, I don't think as much women even pray in mosques daily at least in my area (maybe on fridays yes). Secondly, it sure takes money to have build mosques to both genders :hmm:

This is getting embarrasing, some people just have nothing better to do then worry about curtains - note curtains! :rolleyes:
of course...

but this is for women who want to pray as the men in mosque... i am just hoping that they wont do the azaan too...:exhausted

north_malaysian
03-10-2010, 03:57 AM
But why those women-only mosques are not pink ?.
i have no idea... the only pink mosque that I've seen is the Putra Mosque in Putrajaya

north_malaysian
03-10-2010, 03:58 AM
In my place, Salaah Juma'ah is only for men, but women never complain because except in Friday noon they can pray in masjid anytime.
In Malaysia, while the men perform the Friday Prayer, the women went shopping at the malls during the 2 hrs break... I think Malaysian women are so happy that they dont have to attend Friday prayer :hiding:

alcurad
03-10-2010, 04:36 AM
firstly, women should be encouraged to go to the mosque and pray, it's better than to spend the day shopping etc, and secondly the walls/full partitions need to come down, since the lines are broken and they're not on another floor-mostly-the prayer is not jama'ah.

the meaning of Jama'ah is congregation, and the scholars have stated that barring extreme difficulty[B] the lines need to be unbroken for it to occur, so one line followed by another then another and so on, the women form their lines from the end up to the front, the men from the front up to the back, this is how it was done in the prophet's time, and for centuries after him and to this day, and that is how it should be. the modern innovation of building walls and so on is just that, a modern innovation, and needs to be challenged so that the sunna of Jama'a is practiced correctly once again.

more importantly, to any who say that at the prophet's time it was different given the piousness of the people, really? are you seriously affirming that every single Muslim man and woman in the Arabian Peninsula at the prophet's time was pious to no bounds? or did people only pray behind the prophet? or was it that for tribes and towns not close to Medina or Mecca the prayer was not compulsory? maybe people back then were missing the part of the brain that made men and women attractive to each other? or perhaps they were not actually human but rather angels descended from the heavens so it was different for them? I'm really curious so if any of you have any rational reasoning for this support of doing things differently than how the prophet demonstrated then out with it and please let us hear..

they weren't all 'companions' and they weren't all pious, so how is saying 'the prophet's time was different!!' an argument?

an inkling of thought should suffice to discount this as any sort of valid reasoning.

north_malaysian
03-10-2010, 04:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
firstly, women should be encouraged to go to the mosque and pray, it's better than to spend the day shopping etc,
i think it'll be a problem as the mosques are overcrowded during Friday prayers... we need bigger mosques then... the only place where I've seen Muslim women attending Friday prayer in Malaysia is the International ISlamic University Grand Mosque.. my younger sister used to attend Friday prayers when she was a student there.

Ramadhan
03-10-2010, 05:48 AM
In Malaysia, while the men perform the Friday Prayer, the women went shopping at the malls during the 2 hrs break... I think Malaysian women are so happy that they dont have to attend Friday prayer :hiding:
Same here in Indonesia. During jumah prayer, my female colleagues would take off to shopping malls to have really long lunch :exhausted

Ramadhan
03-10-2010, 05:54 AM
i think it'll be a problem as the mosques are overcrowded during Friday prayers... we need bigger mosques then... the only place where I've seen Muslim women attending Friday prayer in Malaysia is the International ISlamic University Grand Mosque.. my younger sister used to attend Friday prayers when she was a student there.
Yup again same situation here in Indonesia.
There are thousands (very likely tens of thousands) of mosques in Jakarta alone, but even then, most of those mosques do not have the capacity to accommodate all muslim men during jumat prayer.

north_malaysian
03-10-2010, 06:31 AM
Same here in Indonesia. During jumah prayer, my female colleagues would take off to shopping malls to have really long lunch :exhausted
that's why women love Friday

north_malaysian
03-10-2010, 06:32 AM
Yup again same situation here in Indonesia.
There are thousands (very likely tens of thousands) of mosques in Jakarta alone, but even then, most of those mosques do not have the capacity to accommodate all muslim men during jumat prayer.
in the middle of Kuala Lumpur, people pray on the streets, especially in MAsjid Jamek area...

alcurad
03-10-2010, 06:44 AM
in the middle of Kuala Lumpur, people pray on the streets, especially in MAsjid Jamek area...
IIRC Masjid Jamic is actually quite small, I prayed there once but that was long ago.

now that you mention it, I wonder why is it so small?

north_malaysian
03-10-2010, 08:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
IIRC Masjid Jamic is actually quite small, I prayed there once but that was long ago.

now that you mention it, I wonder why is it so small?
IIRC Masjid Jamek?

ardianto
03-10-2010, 02:01 PM
I don't know about Jakarta, but in Bandung you can pray then shopping in "pasar kaget" (temporary market) on the street front or besides some masjids, every Friday. You can buy clothes, books, tools, even new car.

north_malaysian
03-10-2010, 11:53 PM
I don't know about Jakarta, but in Bandung you can pray then shopping in "pasar kaget" (temporary market) on the street front or besides some masjids, every Friday. You can buy clothes, books, tools, even new car.
cars?:exhausted

ardianto
03-11-2010, 12:12 AM
cars?:exhausted
Yes, cars.

But, different than buy clothes which you pay it cash and carry that clothes. In this place you only make an appointment with car salesmen that stand by there.

north_malaysian
03-12-2010, 07:38 AM
Yes, cars.

But, different than buy clothes which you pay it cash and carry that clothes. In this place you only make an appointment with car salesmen that stand by there.
in Malaysia you can get a secondhand car for RM 5,000.00 (USD 1,505.04)

Al-Indunisiy
03-12-2010, 10:21 AM
:wa:

So much different from here in Pekanbaru. Everything becomes normal again right after Jum'a prayer*. Though, here usually school children wear traditional malay dresses.

*My account on this might not be entirely correct. Having in mind that I don't exactly live in Pekanbaru.

ardianto
03-13-2010, 02:15 PM
in Malaysia you can get a secondhand car for RM 5,000.00 (USD 1,505.04)
In Indonesia that is enough for buy Daihatsu Charade, ...................................... model 1985.

ardianto
03-13-2010, 02:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Indunisiy
So much different from here in Pekanbaru. Everything becomes normal again right after Jum'a prayer*. Though, here usually school children wear traditional malay dresses.
Actually, although many people trade commodities in many masjid yard, "pasar kaget" are exist only in certain masjids.
The biggest "pasar kaget" is on the street besides masjid Pusdai. Every Friday this street is always closed for traffic and used for "pasar kaget". The shopper are not only men who pray in masjid Pusdai. There are many women come to this "pasar kaget" for buy something.

*My account on this might not be entirely correct. Having in mind that I don't exactly live in Pekanbaru.
So, where do you live ?, Rumbai ?.
Okay, no matter where you live, we can meet in this forum. :)

CosmicPathos
03-13-2010, 08:15 PM
If you want to be so adamant to stick to the times of Prophet, and not of rightly guided Caliphs, then throw away all the introductions made by Umer. Was he the one who only heard of the banning of Mutah marriage? Wasnt he the one who "changed" the rules of divorce? If you love only Prophet's time, ignore what these salaf's brought. Change the Islam that you follow today. Burn all written compiled copies of Quran because surely it wasnt so during "Prophet's time."

Those who think and feel that they are being discriminated by the creation of "barrier," you should know that your Prophet has already "discriminated" against you by telling you to stick to the back rows, just because you are women. If you are feeling threatened by the "curtain" in the mosque, your Prophet has already "discriminated" against you by not allowing one of you to lead the prayer of men and women.

Regarding umar's statement, did I forget to the read the word "night?"

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!