/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Retrieving files from my old computer

*charisma*
03-10-2010, 12:51 AM
Assalamu alaikum

I've been having lots of problems with my computer :><:

It had a lot of viruses and malware that I removed, however...removing one of the viruses left my computer crippled :cry: basically now I'm stuck with a log on log off loop..i log on, it logs me off..fun fun stuff :D I found a solution to fixing it, I have to create an .iso image recovery disk...blah blah long story short: My problem is still not fixed and right now the most important thing is getting my files off of the computer..is there a way I can do that by opening the computer up or accessing them some other way without having to go through making and using disks??

Edit: I just want to know if it's possible before I give it to my brother to have it handled..or if there is someway using a recovery disk to access and save all the files on a flashdrive or something

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamirama
03-10-2010, 01:45 AM
Wa'alaikum as'salaam,

have you tried booting in safe mode? You could do that to go get your files.

- Qatada -
03-10-2010, 07:16 AM
:salamext:

remember the danger of viruses being unknowingly transferred in your backup storage devices.

Dagless
03-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Lots of ways to do it but the easiest is to use a bootable linux distro like ubuntu. Don't install it, just boot off cd. Once you're logged in copy the needed files from your hard drive onto your usb drive.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

As has been mentioned; try not to copy any .exe file which you think caused the infection. Stick to backing up important stuff like docs and photo's.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*charisma*
03-10-2010, 05:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
Wa'alaikum as'salaam,

have you tried booting in safe mode? You could do that to go get your files.
Yea, it does the same thing there too which is why it's not so easy getting my files :(

format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -
:salamext:

remember the danger of viruses being unknowingly transferred in your backup storage devices.
Wa'alaikum asalaam wa rahmatallahi wa barakatuhu
I don't think there are anymore viruses on my computer..but there was one particular virus that really left it messed up after i quarantined it which is why I'm stuck with this problem..it corrupted the necessary .exe files i believe

format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
Lots of ways to do it but the easiest is to use a bootable linux distro like ubuntu. Don't install it, just boot off cd. Once you're logged in copy the needed files from your hard drive onto your usb drive.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

As has been mentioned; try not to copy any .exe file which you think caused the infection. Stick to backing up important stuff like docs and photo's.
How sure are you that this will work :X I'm scared to really mess it up big time if it doesnt turn out right...

Also what exactly is meant by "booting" Do i just put the CD in and let it run or something?

Here's the instructions I was using to get the problem fixed:

Takes a bit of work to fix, but it's not too difficult. I find using a Vista/Win 7 Recovery disk is the easiest method (Method 2 below), as you don't have to guess what file name the malware used. You also don't have to build the disk, just download and burn the ISO file to a disk.

The looping logon can happen if your spyware software removed the wsaupdater.exe or winlogon86.exe malware file, or if the userinit.exe file is missing, corrupted, or being redirected. You'll need to use the Recovery Console, a Vista/Win7 DVD, or a Live CD to fix this.
If the userinit file is being redirected, you need some way to edit the Registry, so the Recovery Console won't do.

Ultimate Boot CD for Windows
BartPE CD/DVD
A Vista RE disk can be downloaded from one of these links:
Vista Recovery Environment CD
64 bit Vista
32 bit Vista
Windows 7 from here:
Recovery Environment CD

This link shows how to use a BartPE disk:
Looping Login Fix using a BartPE CD

Method 1
Recovery Console Steps
Boot to the Recovery Console.
Set your system to boot from CD, either by setting the boot order in the BIOS, or using the boot menu if your system provides one, usually by pressing one of the FX keys; F9, F10, F12 are common.
Insert the Windows XP CD and boot the system.
When prompted to Press any key to boot from CD... press any key like Spacebar or Enter

When you boot from the CD, the following is displayed:
On a black screen:
Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration...
Screen turns Blue, and Windows Setup is displayed at the top.
at the bottom is displayed the following in sequence:
Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver
Press F2 to run Automated System Recovery (ASR)...
Setup is loading files (file names displayed)
Title changes to Windows XP Professional (or Home Edition) Setup

The options to setup or repair Windows are displayed
Choose To repair a Windows XP installation using recovery console, press R.
You may need to choose the Windows installation if you have a dual boot system. Type the number of the Windows installation you want to log into.
You will need to enter the Administrator password unless you previously disabled that requirement; if it's blank, just press enter.

You should now be at a C:\WINDOWS> prompt (or whatever letter your system is installed on)

Type the following at the C:\Windows prompt then press Enter:
cd system32
Dir userinit.exe

If not found we need to copy it from the Service Pack Files backup, or the CD. Even if it is present, you may want to replace it in case it's corrupted.

First try this:
copy C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\userinit.exe
If that fails, copy it from the CD using this command:
copy X:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\userinit.ex_ userinit.exe
where X: is the drive letter of the CD Rom. You can find it by typing MAP

Now type this:
copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe
copy userinit.exe winlogon86.exe
exit

If one of those two files replaced the userinit.exe file, this should let you boot into Windows. Once at your Desktop:
Click Start | Run, type regedit, press Enter
navigate to here:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
In the right pane, double click the userinit item.
It likely says C:\Windows\System32\wsaupdater.exe, or C:\Windows\System32\winlogon86.exe,
Edit this to read:
C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,
Be sure to include the trailing comma and use the correct drive letter for your installation.
Close the registry editor.
Now delete the wsaupdater.exe and winlogon86.exe files from C:\Windows\System32

If it still loops, the userinit.exe file may be being redirected in the registry. This will require a Live CD or connecting the system to another PC to edit the registry.

Method 2
Using a Live CD
From a Live CD that can edit the registry, or from a Vista/Win7 DVD, we just need to make sure userinit.exe exists, then edit the registry.
Boot with the Vista/Win7 DVD
Select Language, click Next
Click Repair your Computer
It will search for Vista/Win7 installations, just wait for it to finish.
If using Win7 Disk, select Use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting Windows.
Click Next
Click Command Prompt.
Type regedit and press Enter:
In the left pane, click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to highlight it
Click File | Load Hive...
Browse to C:\Windows\system32\config
Double click on SOFTWARE (the one with no extension)
In the Key Name: box type @Software
navigate to here:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\@SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
In the right pane, double click the userinit item.
It likely says C:\Windows\System32\wsaupdater.exe, or C:\Windows\System32\winlogon86.exe,
(If so, the userinit.exe file is probably just fine)
Edit this to read:
C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,
Be sure to include the trailing comma and use the correct drive letter for your installation as seen when booted to Windows.
Next, navigate to here:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\@SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options
Check in the left pane for a folder named userinit.exe. If present, delete it.
Close the Registry Editor.
To verify that userinit.exe is present, type the following commands followed by Enter:
cd /D C:\Windows\system32
Dir userinit.exe

If missing, type this:
copy C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\userinit.exe
If that can't be found, you'll need your XP CD.
Type this command:
expand E:\i386\userinit.ex_ userinit.exe
where E: is the drive letter of the CD Rom
(Quick way to determine the CD drive letter is to open notepad by typing C:\Windows\notepad and using the File | Open dialog)
Type Exit and press Enter
Click Restart

Note that drive letters as seen from the Recovery Console, a Vista/Win7 DVD, or a Live CD may be different than when booted into Windows.
Jazakum allahu khair for your help

islamirama
03-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Those seem like complicated steps. The unbuntu option is not a bad idea. Bootable means the pc starts off of the CD. you'll probably have to download and burn to cd the unbunto and then boot the pc off that. Once you put the cd in the computer should start off of the cd if not you can press F12 and pick CD as device to boot from. It will take you to options on the CD, one option will be to install it (Don't do that). another option is to try it without install it (Do this). What this will do you make your pc look like it has unbunto installed and you can browse through your pc and copy the files you need to a usb.

*charisma*
03-10-2010, 09:09 PM
After I do that, do I just take the CD out normally??

islamirama
03-10-2010, 09:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Well you are running the ubuntu off of the cd so probably want to shut ur pc down and take it out as it is shutting down.

*charisma*
03-11-2010, 04:04 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

It didnt work :(

My brother's friend is going to fix it for me inshallah, he said he knows how to alhemdulilah

but thanks tons for all of your help, barakallahu feekum

fi aman allah
w'salaam

islamirama
03-11-2010, 04:13 AM
wa'alaikum as'salaam,

no worries, good luck!

let us know what he does...

*charisma*
03-11-2010, 04:14 AM
I will inshallah :D

fi aman allah
w'salaam

Dagless
03-11-2010, 11:34 AM
How sure are you that this will work :X I'm scared to really mess it up big time if it doesnt turn out right...

Also what exactly is meant by "booting" Do i just put the CD in and let it run or something?

Here's the instructions I was using to get the problem fixed:

Jazakum allahu khair for your help
It can't make things work because it won't modify the data on your hard drive.
Yes you just put in the cd and take the option to load it off the cd.
The instructions you were given may work but they are to repair windows so you can boot into it. My way is only so can copy your files and then reinstall windows later.

Leave the cd in the pc. When you shut down it will eject the cd itself.

It didnt work :(
You need to tell us why it didn't work :p Did you boot into ubuntu? What happened?

*charisma*
03-11-2010, 09:04 PM
I put the CD in and it loaded on its own, it gave me options like "try Ubunto without making any permanent changes to your computer" and "install" amongst others which I don't remember...

I chose the first option..and nothing happened. It remained on the same screen. Then I chose something else..and it took me to a blank screen w/ a blinking underscore..

I'm still working with the more complex version up above...I got like a quarter of the way through but couldn't continue because something else was corrupted, and I just received instructions on how to fix that, so I'm going to give it one more try before my brother takes it to his friend, unless i can do something with the Ubunto disk again?

islamirama
03-11-2010, 09:39 PM
I put the CD in and it loaded on its own, it gave me options like "try Ubunto without making any permanent changes to your computer" and "install" amongst others which I don't remember...

I chose the first option..and nothing happened. It remained on the same screen. Then I chose something else..and it took me to a blank screen w/ a blinking underscore..

I'm still working with the more complex version up above...I got like a quarter of the way through but couldn't continue because something else was corrupted, and I just received instructions on how to fix that, so I'm going to give it one more try before my brother takes it to his friend, unless i can do something with the Ubunto disk again?
You should've gone with the first option of Try Unbunto and this would've given a look as if you have installed and you could log in and go about browsing to find your stuff. You mentioned you couldn't go through because something else was corrupted? do you know what it was?

Also, have you tried putting the CD of the system you have installed in? You could put that cd in and go to repair option on the cd so it can replace any corrupted boot files on your system.

*charisma*
03-12-2010, 03:44 AM
You should've gone with the first option of Try Unbunto and this would've given a look as if you have installed and you could log in and go about browsing to find your stuff.
I selected it, but nothing happened, just remained on the same screen.

You mentioned you couldn't go through because something else was corrupted? do you know what it was?
Yea, that's referring to that really long process I posted above, the software hive is corrupted.

Also, have you tried putting the CD of the system you have installed in? You could put that cd in and go to repair option on the cd so it can replace any corrupted boot files on your system.
I don't have the original XP recovery disk unfortunately.

islamirama
03-12-2010, 04:34 AM
I selected it, but nothing happened, just remained on the same screen.
have you attempted to try more than once?

I don't have the original XP recovery disk unfortunately.
You're bro, friend or anyone else you know have one you can borrow?

What xp version do you have installed?

*charisma*
03-12-2010, 04:55 AM
have you attempted to try more than once?
Yeh, I tried clicking on it more than once..and I also rebooted it.
You're bro, friend or anyone else you know have one you can borrow?

What xp version do you have installed?
I think my bro's friend may have one, and I have the XP Home edition

islamirama
03-12-2010, 04:59 AM
Yeh, I tried clicking on it more than once..and I also rebooted it.
can you list the exact steps you took?

I think my bro's friend may have one, and I have the XP Home edition
aahh i'm so sorry to hear that. That's on crappy OS, it's good for gamers but it does tend to crash often. You are better off with XP Pro. let me know if you can get xp pro if not maybe i can help. also, should look into imaging your system, makes life a whole lot easier!

*charisma*
03-12-2010, 05:16 AM
can you list the exact steps you took?

aahh i'm so sorry to hear that. That's on crappy OS, it's good for gamers but it does tend to crash often. You are better off with XP Pro. let me know if you can get xp pro if not maybe i can help. also, should look into imaging your system, makes life a whole lot easier!
Put the disk in the first time, nothing at all happened, I guess it's cuz the system was already on.

I restarted it, then it booted all on it's own.
It took me to a screen with different promps: try unbunto w/o any changes to your system, installation..etc etc

I clicked on "try ubunto w/o any changes to your system" I waited about a minute, nothing happened, so I clicked on it again...and nothing still...Then I clicked on something else, I forgot what it was called and it took me to a black screen with a blinking underscore..I thought some things would come up, waited like 5 minutes and nothing came up so I just turned my computer off manually and turned it back on. Ubunto booted up again and I selected "try ubunto" still nothing..then I clicked again on something else, a word came up with a flashing underscore and nothing after that..so I just gave up after that lol

and I started having problems with my computer after I got all these viruses :( Then I installed mcAfee and it was working pretty well, but I guess I should've done a full scan or something cuz I got another virus which wouldn't allow me to see anything except the task manager and I also got these notices saying something about dll and exe...I tried to run mcafee then I'd get the dreaded blue screen "physical dump" I managed to remove a virus and I restarted my comp and this whole thing started..

I think I'm going to put my computer on fire after I get my files off of it :( so frustrating.

islamirama
03-12-2010, 05:28 AM
Put the disk in the first time, nothing at all happened, I guess it's cuz the system was already on.

I restarted it, then it booted all on it's own.
It took me to a screen with different promps: try unbunto w/o any changes to your system, installation..etc etc

I clicked on "try ubunto w/o any changes to your system" I waited about a minute, nothing happened, so I clicked on it again...and nothing still...Then I clicked on something else, I forgot what it was called and it took me to a black screen with a blinking underscore..I thought some things would come up, waited like 5 minutes and nothing came up so I just turned my computer off manually and turned it back on. Ubunto booted up again and I selected "try ubunto" still nothing..then I clicked again on something else, a word came up with a flashing underscore and nothing after that..so I just gave up after that lol

and I started having problems with my computer after I got all these viruses :( Then I installed mcAfee and it was working pretty well, but I guess I should've done a full scan or something cuz I got another virus which wouldn't allow me to see anything except the task manager and I also got these notices saying something about dll and exe...I tried to run mcafee then I'd get the dreaded blue screen "physical dump" I managed to remove a virus and I restarted my comp and this whole thing started..

I think I'm going to put my computer on fire after I get my files off of it :( so frustrating.
How old is your pc, what kind is it?

Have you tried rebooting in safe mode?

what are you using now? laptop or desktop?

If you have another desktop you could take the HD from this pc and put it in as slave or 2ndary in the other and just go in and extract what you need that way.

*charisma*
03-12-2010, 05:48 AM
How old is your pc, what kind is it?

Have you tried rebooting in safe mode?

what are you using now? laptop or desktop?

If you have another desktop you could take the HD from this pc and put it in as slave or 2ndary in the other and just go in and extract what you need that way.
It's almost 4 yrs old, emachines t3508
Yeh I tried safemode..does the same thing
using desktop, and I don't have another desktop, just this one unfortunately..

islamirama
03-12-2010, 06:01 AM
It's almost 4 yrs old, emachines t3508
Yeh I tried safemode..does the same thing
using desktop, and I don't have another desktop, just this one unfortunately..
The unbuntu CD should've worked. A remote possibility could that your HD got fried. Given you can't boot from unbuntu, don't have XP cd or another pc to pop the HD in, you may need someone to actually look at it rather then give more options of what to try, unless i may have missed something. When can ur bro's friend look at it?

Dagless
03-12-2010, 07:30 AM
I clicked on "try ubunto w/o any changes to your system"
Don't click using mouse; press 'enter' on the option. If that doesn't work press the down arrow on your keyboard then press up so you go back to the right option, then press enter.
The screen should change and after a few mins you'll be at a desktop.

*charisma*
03-13-2010, 04:04 AM
The unbuntu CD should've worked. A remote possibility could that your HD got fried. Given you can't boot from unbuntu, don't have XP cd or another pc to pop the HD in, you may need someone to actually look at it rather then give more options of what to try, unless i may have missed something. When can ur bro's friend look at it?
Hopefully he'll take it there soon..and yeh I think there maybe some underlining issue that I can't really fix with these discs..nothing is working

format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
Don't click using mouse; press 'enter' on the option. If that doesn't work press the down arrow on your keyboard then press up so you go back to the right option, then press enter.
The screen should change and after a few mins you'll be at a desktop.
I did that too and it didn't work..I'm just going to give up and try to get it fixed some other way or maybe just get a new hard drive inshallah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!