/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Working for UBS

Ali_008
03-10-2010, 02:06 PM
:sl:
I found out that there is vacancy in USB and its a leading financial services company and I'm planning to apply for it. Just wanted to know if its halal to work there. As far as I know, the job profile's gonna be related to BPO, KPO and Business Development. I'll try to post any updates that I get here. Your thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sampharo
03-11-2010, 01:34 PM
It is not halal to work at an institution that takes interest earning as part of its business and earning, even if your work is not related to the interest bearing or earning accounts.

See: http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/21113/

"Question: I work in a bank in a particular country, in a department that does not deal with riba-based transactions, but the central bank does deal with interest and it is a government foundation. What is the ruling on working in this bank? I hope you can advise me

Answer: Praise be to Allaah. Your working in this bank is haraam, even if you are in a department which does not deal with riba-based transactions. It is sufficient to note that the “central bank” is the head bank and working in the other departments complements the work of the sections that do deal with riba; the bank is formed from all the departments and all the institutions connected to it are engaged in riba.
The scholars have stated that it is not permissible to work even as a guard or driver for such institutions, so how about working as a teller or clerk?
Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: It is not permissible to work in a riba-based institution even if a person is working as a driver or guard, because that means that he is working for the riba-based institution, which implies that he approves of it. For whoever disapproves of a thing would not work to support it, so if he is working for it that implies that he approves of it, and the one who approves of something that is haraam is also guilty of sin.
But if he is directly involved in recording transactions, writing, sending and depositing etc, then he is undoubtedly dealing directly with something haraam. It was proven in the hadeeth of Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who consumes riba, the one who pays it, the two who witness it and the one who writes it down. He said: “They are all the same.”
Fataawa Islamiyyah. 2/401
The Standing Committee was asked about a man who worked as a night guard for one of the banks, and he had nothing to do with the bank’s transactions – should he continue with this job or leave?
They replied:
It is not permissible for a Muslim to work as a guard for banks that deal with riba, because this is a kind of cooperating in sin and transgression, and Allaah has forbidden that as He says (interpretation of the meaning):
“but do not help one another in sin and transgression”
[al-Maa'idah 5:2]
Most of the banks deal with riba, so you have to look for a halaal means of earning a living, not this way.
And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions.
Fataawa Islamiyyah, 2/401, 402
And Allaah knows best."

aadil77
03-11-2010, 02:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali_008
:sl:
I found out that there is vacancy in USB and its a leading financial services company and I'm planning to apply for it. Just wanted to know if its halal to work there. As far as I know, the job profile's gonna be related to BPO, KPO and Business Development. I'll try to post any updates that I get here. Your thoughts are welcome and appreciated.
My aunt used to work there in london, she was earning loads doing the investment banking stuff. I can imagine it can be quite hard to let down such a nice job opp, but if the income from that job is not halal then its not worth it brother. I'm pretty sure the income will be from riba sources.

Ali_008
03-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the advice, brothers. InshAllah I'll look for a halal job and please pray for me that get one with high pay.

P.s. - this job didn't have that high salary either. :P

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!