/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question about praying in a room with mirrors

abbas_ali
03-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Salaam all,

I have a question regarding praying when there are mirrors in the room. I know you cannot pray directly infront of a mirror as this can be idolatry and the mirror must then be covered.

But what about mirrors in the room that are not infront of you. For example, my parents just got a mirror put up in their room. i often pray in my parent's room and the mirror is behind me to the right hand side - it is big and difficult to cover. Do i have to cover this in order to read?

Also in my own room, one side of the room is completely 'mirrored' it is a wardrobe that has a mirror all across the sliding doors. This mirrored wardrobe is directly to my right hand side so i do not pray in front of it but when i turn to do taslim i will obviously turn to it. This is an entire wardrobe and i will not be able to cover this :(

To be honest i didn't even think of the implication of mirrors until my mum was conscientiously making an effort to ensure the new mirror would not be in a place to violate salaat. I'm now worried my prayers will be invalidated.

Could someone please help me out?

Jazakallah-khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamza Asadullah
03-19-2010, 02:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abbas_ali
Salaam all,

I have a question regarding praying when there are mirrors in the room. I know you cannot pray directly infront of a mirror as this can be idolatry and the mirror must then be covered.

But what about mirrors in the room that are not infront of you. For example, my parents just got a mirror put up in their room. i often pray in my parent's room and the mirror is behind me to the right hand side - it is big and difficult to cover. Do i have to cover this in order to read?

Also in my own room, one side of the room is completely 'mirrored' it is a wardrobe that has a mirror all across the sliding doors. This mirrored wardrobe is directly to my right hand side so i do not pray in front of it but when i turn to do taslim i will obviously turn to it. This is an entire wardrobe and i will not be able to cover this :(

To be honest i didn't even think of the implication of mirrors until my mum was conscientiously making an effort to ensure the new mirror would not be in a place to violate salaat. I'm now worried my prayers will be invalidated.

Could someone please help me out?

Jazakallah-khair
:sl:

In The Name of Allah, Most Merciful and Compassionate

It is offensive (makruh) to pray on or towards anything that is distracting, such as something striped or a person who is facing one.[1] A mirror is similar. As for praying with a mirror in the room, I have not seen our imams mention this. A reflection is not considered a picture of animate life, so it would not appear to be a problem in our school. And Allah knows best and He alone gives success (tawfiq).

See: Ibn Hajar al-Haytami, Hawashi al-Sharwani Wa Ibn Qasim al-Abbadi 'Ala Tuhfah al-Muhtaj Bisharh al-Minhaj (Beruit, Dar Ihya' al-Turath al-'Arabi), 2:161; and Nihaya with Shibramalisi's supercommentary: Muhammad Ramli, Nihayah al-Muhtaj ila Sharh al-Minhaj (Beruit, Dar Ihya' al-Turath al-'Arabi), 2:58.

Therefore it is best for your salaah that you do not pray infront of a mirror incase of distraction from Salaah but it is not forbidden just disliked.

and Allah knows best

:wa:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!