/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Forgiveness

noorseeker
03-10-2010, 07:02 PM
:sl:

I was just thinking as a Ummah how forgiving we can be.

A lot of Companions before they became muslims, as we know did a lot of bad things in the time of ignorance, i.e Burying baby girls. murder, Zina etc.

But when they became muslims All their sins were forgiven, and were welcomed into the ranks of the muslims.

So my question is nowadays how many of us are willing to stand next to and pray or become friends with people who have commited grave sins, baby killers , rapists, tortured people.

Would you welcome them into the ummah or always be disgusted with them.
even though we know when you revert all your sins are washed away.

Could you be as forgiving

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Alpha Dude
03-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Wa alaykum salam,

Great reminder bro. I was today thinking about something along the same lines.

Would we really be able to even give dawah to people who are in total darnkess? The likes of paedophiles, baby killers or even a proud homosexual, without being repulsed away?

Speaking for myself, I used to hate the idea of even being near proud-about-it-shout-about kind of gays, but then reflecting on the story of Lut Alaihe Salam, how far he went to help the people of his community despite their horrible actions, it makes you realise that nobody is beyond the mercy of Allah and it is only our own arrogance that makes us think otherwise.

It may be that we could die without iman and at the last moment, these worst of the worst people in our eyes could be blessed with iman.

Goes to show, we need to check our humility! JazakAllah Khayr bro. Much needed reminder.

noorseeker
03-10-2010, 07:25 PM
We love the likes of umar ibn kattab r.a and Khalid bin walid r.a

We also know of their brutality towards muslims before they were muslim.

But nevertheless we love them,

Its come to my mind because those of us in the u.k know that in the news that john venables has been re arrested.

when he was 10 he and his friend murdered the toddler james bulger, and he has a new identity now,. And pepole are demanding to know why he got re arrested, i am sickened by him.

but what if he became muslim tommorow, how do i forget

noorseeker
03-10-2010, 08:44 PM
bumper .........

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
PouringRain
03-10-2010, 09:57 PM
This is a good thread. Good question to ask oneself. I can honestly say that it would be easier for me to overlook most past sins than others. There are very, very few things I would have difficulty overlooking. The most difficult would be in forgiving a pedophile. I think one of the biggest questions for me would be one of trust. I know that forgiving is not the exact same as trusting. But for example, I could forgive them, accept them in my church, treat them with kindness as a fellow believer-- but I would not trust the person to work with children (for example). I also would keep my own children close by me. It would be difficult not to keep an extra eye on the individual in question.

I ask myself, is it wrong for me to feel this way? I certainly would not offer alcohol to someone who I knew had a problem drinking. I would not leave an open wallet in front of someone who I knew had difficulty with stealing. I would not parade my children in front of a pedophile. I would not wear revealing clothes in front of men. By that same token, I am not sure I would be wrong in not trusting the individual who had certain sins in his past.

I believe that true repentance before God is about turning away from the sin and not engaging in it anymore. An individual can say they have repented, but I don't know that I have to blindly trust that they have. I think the evidence is in their fruits and their actions. I think that it would take me time to give my trust to the individual.

Tineeyih!
03-11-2010, 02:04 AM
I believe that true repentance before God is about turning away from the sin and not engaging in it anymore. An individual can say they have repented, but I don't know that I have to blindly trust that they have. I think the evidence is in their fruits and their actions. I think that it would take me time to give my trust to the individual.
Very well said. Yes, I believe for the majority of us it would take time to build that trust. I know from experience. Many times I think, maybe it is because I didn't remind my friend of Allah and His Messenger (saw) that he did those things. I was too consumed with making jokes and having fun.

Mohamed_Sadiq
03-12-2010, 12:55 PM
For those that can't forgive can forget and those who can't forget can forgive,, thats my opinion. If you can't forgive nor forget then you have problems!

Binyamine
03-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Peace Mercy And Blessing of Allah be upon all of us.

Whoever Allah guide, none can lead them astray and whoever Allah lead astray, no one can guide them.

This is a nice thread and a very good reminder!!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!