/* */

PDA

View Full Version : So, an "academic" question from a searching theist.

ncdrawl
03-12-2010, 09:10 PM
So, in the western world traditions, we have and can distinguish between those faiths that speak to us/exhibit "prophetic voice" from those who use "messianic voice"

in every religious tradition, we have miracles, signs, and wonders that cause each group to interpret and live out their "faith story" around the figure of a prophet or messianic figure.

I am intensely interested in Islam.(as ive said here before) so my question is, as relating to Islam,

what is the difference between the "prophet" and "messiah" (forgive the terminology, please excuse the semantics error and answer anyway if it pleases you). and how is each role (prophet and messiah) central to Islam, to Muslims?

how does each role affect

1.) the community of faith's belief structure
2.) Eschatological expectations
3.) Sacred Text(Qu'ran)

I grew up Christian, but do not feel fulfilled. I am searching for the truth, and these questions help me make sense of it all.

Many thanks my friends.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
siam
03-13-2010, 07:37 AM
What do you mean by "Prophetic voice" and "Messianic voice"?

I don't know much about Christianity---but some Christians think a Prophet is a "fortune-teller"---someone who does prophesy(tell the future) While in Judaism and Islam, a Prophet is a messenger (of God) who teaches wisdom to mankind.

In the Quran, there are 2 catagories of Prophet, the "Nabi" and the "Rasul". The Prophet who brings a new "Law" is a "Rasul", while a Prophet who teaches wisdom but does not bring any new "Law" is "Nabi". (see wikipedia)

Messiah
Moshiac=Hebrew, Masih=Arabic ----means "annointed one". In Judaism, the term Moshiac Nagid is used for the Persian King Cyrus the Great (He built the 2nd temple---Judaism, the Tanakh---it is often a term used to denote a "King") Neither Judaism nor Islam consider a "Messiah" to be divine or semi-divine, nor is he considered a "savior" from "original sin")

It is best not to make assumptions from a Chrisitian-centric perspective.......

Uthman
03-15-2010, 11:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by siam
In the Quran, there are 2 catagories of Prophet, the "Nabi" and the "Rasul". The Prophet who brings a new "Law" is a "Rasul", while a Prophet who teaches wisdom but does not bring any new "Law" is "Nabi". (see wikipedia)
I think it's more accurate to say that 'Nabi' means Prophet and 'Rasul' means messenger.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!