/* */

PDA

View Full Version : MP calls for burkas to be banned in Britain

Uthman
03-13-2010, 03:55 PM
An MP has called for ministers to ban the wearing of burkas, branding it ''offensive'' and ''against the British way of life''.

Philip Hollobone, Conservative MP for Kettering, told the Commons: ''This is Britain. We are not a Muslim country.

''Covering your face in public is strange, and to many people both intimidating and offensive.

''I seriously think that a ban on wearing the burka in public should be considered.''

His call came in a debate on International Women's Day and follows previous comments by the MP that wearing a burka was like ''going round with a paper bag over your head''.

Today, Mr Hollobone said wearing the full-face burka was ''oppressive and regressive'' to the advancement of women in society.

He said it was not until he took his children to a park recently and saw a woman wearing one that it ''came home how inappropriate and, frankly, offensive, it is for people to wear this apparel in the 21st century''.

''In my view, and the view of my constituents, wearing the burka is not an acceptable form of dress and the banning of it should be seriously considered.''

By wearing them, women were effectively saying they did not want ''any normal human dialogue or interaction with anyone else'', and ''effectively saying our society is so objectionable ... we aren't even allowed to cast a glance upon them''.

He said: ''It goes against the British way of life. If we all went around wearing burkas our country would be a very sad place.''

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Skavau
03-13-2010, 04:06 PM
I'll go around deliberately having my hair in front of my face at all times in response to this. It's long enough to do such.

cat eyes
03-13-2010, 04:13 PM
:wa:what the hell, stupid racist brits give it up, what can you do about it? throw every muslim woman in prison for wearing different clothing. give it a REST this is not flaming 1930s britan where people have to fight for there rights.

Supreme
03-13-2010, 10:39 PM
The Burka is quite controversial, is it not? I'm hardly a fan of what I view as a repressive and thoroughly out of date garment, but people have a freedom to wear whatever they like in this country. I honestly can't say the Burka is a problem. Sure, it looks *ahem* different *ahem*, but on average I see one about every year. It's hardly like every Muslim woman wears one, only a few Muslim women do. It's a garment worn by a minority of a minority. What kind of society singles out a minority of a minority?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Life_Is_Short
03-13-2010, 11:05 PM
This MP needs to come back down to Earth. There are 2,065,012 muslims in Britain. Most not willing to compromise their religion.
Who's going to pay the taxes? Remarks like this one might cut off countries source of livelihood.

Strzelecki
03-14-2010, 01:18 AM
Subhan'Allaaah!!
How ridiculous.

if the 'British way of life' truly exists and is being threatened by people wearing modest clothing, they might as well introduce a freaking national uniform.

This is stupid, and I'm positive deep down he knows that - or he's stupid.

Ishaaq
03-14-2010, 01:28 AM
:sl:

I hope I don't offend anyone if I say this, but the problem is Muslims. When most Muslim women don't even wear Hijaab, than obviously those few who do practice hijaab and niqaab will be seen as "Extreme" and a "tiny minority". Therefore, the non-Muslims will say, "if hijaab is such a fundamental part of Islaamic observance, why do not even 1% of Muslim women practice proper hijaab?" (i.e. covering the whole body except the eyes or one eye). The so called hijaab of most muslim women is just a scarf on their head, otherwise they are also wearing jeans and t-shirt like the disbelieving women. Just putting a scarf on your head is not hijaab.

Ummu Sufyaan
03-14-2010, 01:29 AM
i wish someone would call a ban on these stupid bans. i want to start my own campaigns :hiding:

but anyway;
MP calls for burkas to be banned in Britain
i thought they already did previously :?

Strzelecki
03-14-2010, 01:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ishaaq
:sl:

I hope I don't offend anyone if I say this, but the problem is Muslims. When most Muslim women don't even wear Hijaab, than obviously those few who do practice hijaab and niqaab will be seen as "Extreme" and a "tiny minority". Therefore, the non-Muslims will say, "if hijaab is such a fundamental part of Islaamic observance, why do not even 1% of Muslim women practice proper hijaab?" (i.e. covering the whole body except the eyes or one eye). The so called hijaab of most muslim women is just a scarf on their head, otherwise they are also wearing jeans and t-shirt like the disbelieving women. Just putting a scarf on your head is not hijaab.
Correct - same too goes for men who wish to dress according to the sunnah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!