/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Parental Issues?

AnonymousPoster
03-13-2010, 07:14 PM
:sl:

Recently I have been having conflict with my parents in regards to my search for a spouse. They are against my decision to do so and say that I am a disobedient kid to ignore their wishes in this regard. My parents, it seems, are emotionally black mailing me by saying that I would know how it feels when my own children will rebel against me ... Ironically, I am perfectly fine with it as long as I know that I've given the message to my kids about right and wrong, its upto them to choose what they want.

In short, my parents are against my decision to go out and search a spouse for myself. They want me to get married to someone who they think will be good for my future.

I have made a decision, for personal reasons, to not marry someone from my ethnicity. My parents are also against this and are citing excuses like how could they communicate with the spouse due to lingual differences.

What are Islamic injunctions on this issue?
:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
CosmicPathos
03-14-2010, 06:48 PM
hmm ... interesting situation.

Are you a male or a female?

desert winds
03-14-2010, 07:13 PM
you dont need their permission to get married- the permission is for respect- if they are making your life hell- go ahead without them- they cant own you like this- their job is to bring you up according to islam- bot deny your rights and treat you like a robot-
they will never change- so go alone wihtout them- its better for you i hope.

islamirama
03-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Wa'alaikum as'salaam,

The parents as guardians and parents can advise you and bring prospective proposals to you but they can't force their way of thinking or they own kind of marriage on you. No one can force a muslim (male or female) into a marriage they do not want. If you are male than you can find your own spouse and propose to her wali for her hand. But if you are a female than there is no marriage without a wali, it is invalid even if you do it. If your wali (parent) is not acting your best interest and then guardians passes to next kin in line on father side and then the next and the next and if no one is there then the ruler, shari'ee judge or qadri or the imam. You can read more here http://islamqa.com/en/ref/98244

Before making any irrational decision, make sure you do proper islamic reading on everything from finding a spouse proper way of going about it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S<Chowdhury
03-14-2010, 07:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender

Recently I have been having conflict with my parents in regards to my search for a spouse. They are against my decision to do so and say that I am a disobedient kid to ignore their wishes in this regard. My parents, it seems, are emotionally black mailing me by saying that I would know how it feels when my own children will rebel against me ... Ironically, I am perfectly fine with it as long as I know that I've given the message to my kids about right and wrong, its upto them to choose what they want.

In short, my parents are against my decision to go out and search a spouse for myself. They want me to get married to someone who they think will be good for my future.

I have made a decision, for personal reasons, to not marry someone from my ethnicity. My parents are also against this and are citing excuses like how could they communicate with the spouse due to lingual differences.

In terms of your parents not wanting you to marry someone from your ethnicity:

Islam is beyond and above cultures and traditions. In Islam the criteria is Islamic and not cultural. The important thing is to make sure that this prospective husband or wife is a good Muslim. Race and ethnicity are not considered. However, we must recognize that some difficulties may arise due to some differences in customs, etc. These must be known and addressed in the beginning.

If the parents are not accepting we must know what are their reasons? Are the reasons Islamic or just pure taste? It is therefore, important for the son/daughter to establish communication with his/her parents. If he/she is not able to communicate with them on his/her own, he/she may be better advised to seek other channels in the community to talk to them. Anyway one is required to deal most affectionately with his/her parents, and seek to please them in all other ways.

Elaborating on the issue "Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) has told us that "there is no difference (superiority) of an Arab Muslim over a non-Arab Muslim or of a non-Arab Muslim over an Arab Muslim except in the level of taqwa (or God consciousness and fear)." Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) also instructed the Muslims to choose their spouses based on the level of piousness and not based on wealth, family lineage, or looks. Also, cross-cultural marriages do have their built-in problems since you would be sharing your life with a person (and his family) who come from a totally different culture, so, try to be clear about the issues that may cause problems in the future."

Focusing on the authority of parents to oppose a marriage due to cultural differences, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

"Compatibility entails a person’s worth in a spiritual and moral sense: the only primary criterion that makes or breaks a marriage. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “If a person of acceptable religion and character presents himself for marriage, marry him, otherwise, there would be widespread sedition and rampant corruption in the land.”

Therefore, if a woman has made a choice based on the above consideration, then her parents have no right to stop her marriage. Since it is her choice to eat the food she wishes to eat, likewise, it is her choice to decide whom she wishes to choose as a life-long partner. They cannot stop her from marrying the person she wants simply because the person is not sharing her culture or ethnic background.

Parents, however, have the authority to intervene should their daughter choose someone of questionable moral and religious character. Should she proceeds in such a case against their wishes, her marriage is deemed null and void according to the rules of Islamic jurisprudence.

If, however, her parents objection to her marriage is based purely on racial, cultural or ethnic grounds, she is allowed to seek other channels of authority to intervene in such a case, as long as the person of her choice is of acceptable religion and character. The concerned authority is supposed to get the parental consent to the marriage."

Shedding more light on the issue of cultural background as an element to ensure marital stability, the late Sheikh Sayyed Ad-Darsh, former Chairman of the UK Shari`ah Council, states:

“Marriage is not for fun or experience. It is a life-long relationship. For that reason, any factor detrimental to the relationship should be avoided as much as is possible.

Highly educated males and females should seek partners with a similar educational background. Cultural and family background is very important. Common language is an essential way of communicating. Such things help the two partners to understand, communicate and relate to one another and are factors of stability and success - as are financial independence and the ability to provide a decent acceptable level of maintenance. Again, this is a way of ensuring that outside influences do not spoil an otherwise happy life. All ways and means should be considered, giving a solid basis for a new human experience which is expected to provide a framework for a happy, successful and amicable life.

The questions of common language, cultural background, education and age, etc., are meant, in an ordinary stable context, to maximize the chances of success and stability in a very important Islamic institution, that of marriage. However, considering the particular position of Muslim communities living in minority situations, young Muslims, male and female, are exposed to all sorts of challenges - be they cultural, linguistic, racial or social.

The most fundamental question when choosing a partner is a religious one. As far as language, background, or social position are concerned, these are not significant factors that absolutely must be fulfilled before a marriage can take place. If the prospective partner is of good character, with a strong religious inclination, and the two young people are happy and feel compatible with one another, other considerations are not of such importance.”

To conclude, though sharing the same cultural background is an important element in ensuring the stability of the long-life partnership and avoiding the problems of cultural differences, the most important criterion is the religious one.

Also check out the marriage thread we had a discussion on multi-cultural marriage as i recall

http://www.islamicboard.com/family-s...thread-24.html

S<Chowdhury
03-14-2010, 07:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by desert winds
you dont need their permission to get married- the permission is for respect- if they are making your life hell- go ahead without them- they cant own you like this- their job is to bring you up according to islam- bot deny your rights and treat you like a robot-
they will never change- so go alone wihtout them- its better for you i hope.
If there isn't any Islamic reasons for not allowing you to marry, and the spouse you choose meets Islamic teachings, I'd agree with the sister above go it alone :), but please do think long and hard about it though, something not to be taken lightly

Hamza Asadullah
03-19-2010, 06:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender

:sl: My brother you have to realise that your parents are just doing what they think is best for you even if you don't feel that way. They have your best interests at heart. They also have the right to be respected regardless of how much you disagree with their choices and decisions.

Allah has given the parents a very high position in Islam so we MUST treat them with the utmost respect at all times no matter how much we may disagree with them in any matter otherwise we risk the wrath and anger of Allah upon us and the destruction of our good deeds.

The parents or guardian of any of the parties may give advice, choose a marriage partner or use persuasion, but the final decision to enter into a marriage must be the result of a free choice on the part of each partner, even though this freely made choice may consist of nothing but accepting the choice of one's parents or guardian. This right of free choice is fairly well recognized in the case of men but (unfortunately) not in the case of women. In the Holy Qur'an we read:

"Do not inherit women against their will" (4:19)

Also you should never say that i will not marry someone of a certain ethnicity because of a bad experience you may have had in your life. You cannot paint everyone with the same brush because every individual is different. If you know of a pious sister of the same race then it would be wrong to disregard her for her race just because of a past bad experience.

I have a friend who thought exactley the same as you and was adament that he would not marry a girl of the same race because of an experience he had in the past. I also told him that he cannot paint all sisters with the same brush just because of a bad experience.

There is good and bad everywhere and in every race and ethnicity and this is a very narrow minded view. Then a few months later he shocked me when he said that he was going to marry. When i enquired who as to the race of the girl she stated that it was someone of the same race.

So just because your thinking that way now it does'nt mean you should carry on thinking that way. Pick a sister for her piety not her race or colour. Respect your parents choices and do not disregard them for no reason.

If you disagree with them do not ever have anger, enmity or hatred towards them for do you want the destruction of all of your deeds? Do you want the wrath and anger of Allah upon you? So let us not even say "uff" to our parents regardless of how they treat us for we will regret the times that we treated our parents badly even if they treated us badly. we have to stay patient and we should also respect their choices and what they want for us and always think to ourselves that what they want is the best for us for they do not want the worse for us, did'nt they raise us? Did'nt they look after us? Do you think at the end of it all that they want the worst for us? Of course not.

So let us not listen to shaythan when he tries to tell us that why are we listening to our parents in this or that regard and that they don't know anything they are backward etc, these are all the evil whispers of shaythan who wants us to have anger and enmity towards our parents and he wants to cause a rift between us and our parents because he knows that if he succeeds that the wrath and anger of Allah will be upon us because let me tell you brother that if any of us dies whilst our parents are angry with us or we done them wrong in this world then we are certainly doomed.

It comes in Hadith that disobedience to Parents is one the major sins. The Prophet peace be upon him is reported to have said : "Shall I not inform you about the major sin?" Those whoe were present replied :" Yes, O Messenger of Allah". He said : "Associating anything with Allah, disobedience to Parents, (and sitting forward from the riclining position) and : telling lies and bearing false witness". (Bukhari :6521, Muslim : 87)

“…be good and dutiful to your parents…” [al-An’aam 6:151];

to show gratitude to them in all kinds of ways, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“…give thanks to Me and to your parents…” [Luqmaan 31:14];

To be obedient and to show kindness to parents has been enjoined in the Holy Quran in such a manner as to say that among the noble deeds, to obey parents, treat them respectfully and to show kindness to them is next to worshipping Almighty Allah.

In the Qur'an, Allah asks Muslims to show kindness to their parents and forbids them from making even the smallest gesture or uttering even the smallest word of reproach to them.

No impatience, disrespect, or contempt may be shown to parents.

The Holy Quran says, "Your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him, and that you be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in thy life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honor." - Surah Al Isra (17:23).

Allah says in the Qur'an what means,

[And your Lord has commanded that you shall not serve any but Him, and goodness to your parents. If either or both of them reach old age with you, say not to them (so much as) "ugh," nor chide them, and speak to them a generous word. And, out of kindness, lower to them the wing of humility, and say: "My Lord, bestow on them Your mercy even as they cherished me in childhood."]

(Al-Israa' 17:23-24)

The metaphorical use of the word "wing" calls to one's mind the way in which birds tenderly and gently lower their wings for their offspring.

The reason for the necessity of showing compassion toward parents is also given in the verse that reminds Muslims that their parents, and particularly the mother, suffered and sacrificed for them when they were young, weak, and totally dependent.

Allah says in the Qur'an,

[And We have enjoined on man (to be good) to his parents: in travail upon travail did his mother bear him, and in years twain was his weaning: (hear the command), "Show gratitude to Me and to your parents: to Me is (your final) Goal.]

(Luqman 31:34)

According to Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), the parents of a certain person are his Heaven or Hell. What this means is that if a person obeys his parents, attends to their needs and keeps them happy and comfortable, he will attain Paradise. On the other hand, if he is disrespectful and rude to them, offends them by ignoring their needs and feelings or causes them grief in any manner, his place shall be in Hell.

The stricture ordained by Islam makes it clear that shrugging off the responsibility of old parents serves as an invitation to Hell. Both the father and mother are equal when it comes to caring for them and providing them all possible physical comforts and mental peace. The time that the parents need to be looked after most, is in their old age. To serve them devotedly at that stage of their lives is the best way of pleasing Almighty Allah. It is also one of the easiest ways of attaining Paradise.

Abu Hurairah, a companion of the holy Prophet, has said that "a person is indeed disgraced, who does not earn Paradise by caring for his parents during the life time and old age of his/her parents".

A person once asked the holy Prophet, "Who has the greatest claim on me with regard to service and kind treatment?" The Holy Prophet replied, "Your mother and again your mother and once again your mother. After her is the claim of your father, then that of your near relatives, and then of the relations next to them". (Al-Bukhari)

This shows that the claim of a mother is greater than a father over the care that you endow upon them in their old age. Serving and obeying parents is a matter of give and take. Those who treat and obey their parents can rest assured that their children will also show kindness and compassion to them. Respecting and caring the parents is a virtue of the highest order that continues to transcend generation after generation.

Asma bint Abu Bakr relates that her mother had come from Makkah to Madinah to meet her. Her mother was not a Muslim and followed pagan tribal customs and beliefs. Asma enquired from the holy Prophet how she was supposed to treat her. The holy Prophet told her to be kind and considerate and to behave towards her as was a mother's due from a daughter. Obeying one's parents and treating them with respect and affection is a great virtue and it serves as repentence for a person's sins. Similarly, to ask Almighty Allah to have mercy on them after death is an act that brings them comfort in their graves. It is the duty of sons and daughters to pray for the forgiveness of their parents after their death and treat their relatives and friends with due respect. In the Holy Quran, Muslims have been urged to pray for the salvation of their parents as shown in the following verse: "And say, My Lord, Have mercy on both of them as they cared for me when I was little".

The holy Prophet has said that to abuse one's parents is a major sin. So much so that if a person abuses someone else's parents and that person, in retaliation, abuses his parents, then it is as though he himself has abused his parents. On another occasion, when asked about the major sins, the holy Prophet replied, "To associate someone with Almighty God, to disobey parents, to kill unlawfully, and to give false evidence".

In fact, keeping ties with one's family is so important in Islam that Allah has said that He will cut off ties with those who cut off ties with their family. Prophet Muhammad has said:

"Rahim (family ties) is a word derived from Ar-Rahman (the Compassionate) and Allah says: I shall keep connection with him who maintains you and sever connection with him who severs you." (Al-Bukhari)

Abu Hurairah replied that he had heard from the Prophet that our deeds are presented to Allah every Thursday night and anyone who has severed family ties has all his good deeds rejected. Abu Hurairah did not want any such person sitting in his gathering, which was held on the same night, for fear that it could deprive the entire gathering of blessings.

Another hadith explains further the reason for this fear: "He who severs ties of kinship, will not enter Paradise." (Muslim)

Keeping ties with one's family is so important that it is even tied to one's belief in Allah and the Day of Judgment. The Prophet said:

"Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should maintain good relation with his kindred." (Al-Bukhari)

Those who break these ties are cursed in the Quran. Allah says in the Quran:

*{And those who break the covenant of Allah, after its ratification, and sever that which Allah has commanded to be joined (i.e. they sever the bond of kinship and are not good to their relatives) and work mischief in the land, on them is the curse, and for them is the unhappy home (i.e. Hell)}* (Ar-Ra`d 13:25)

Maintaining ties with one's family is required, regardless of how that family treats you. One must maintain these ties and treat one's family with kindness, even if that family does not treat you with kindness.

One of the best examples of this lesson is in the story of Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with him). After his daughter, Aishah, was slandered in the worst way, Abu Bark found out that the man who began the rumor was Mistah, the cousin whom Abu Bakr had been supporting financially.

Naturally, Abu Bakr withheld the charity he had been giving the slanderer. Soon after, Allah revealed the following verse:

*{Let not those among you who are endued with grace and amplitude of means resolve by oath against helping their kinsmen, those in want and those who migrated in the path of Allah. Let them forgive and overlook. Do you not wish that Allah should forgive you? Indeed Allah is oft-Forgiving, most Merciful.}* (An-Nur 24:22)

Upon hearing this verse, Abu Bakr not only continued to give the man money, he gave him more.

One should be very cautious about causing someone to break ties with their family, since Allah punishes for this sin in this life and the next. The Prophet Muhammad has said:

"There is no sin more deserving of having punishment meted out by Allah to its perpetrator in advance in this world along with what He stores up for him in the next world than oppression and severing ties of family." (At-Tirmidhi)

The Prophet is reported to have said:

"Indeed, gentleness adds more beauty to the atmosphere it reposes therein." (Muslim)

Hazrat ibn Abbas narrates from the Prophet that a person whose parents are alive and he obeys them, listens to and respects them, then Allah will open two doors of paradise for him. But if one of his parents is not happy with him, then Allah will not be happy with him either. Then someone asked the Prophet , “Even if they are oppressors?” The Prophet replied, “Yes, even if they are oppressors.”

It is said, a person who disobeys his parents, or disrespects them and does not listen to them, Allah will open two doors of hell for him. And if he disrespects only one of them, then Allah will only open one door of hell for him.

Above all, this requires patience and self-restraint. Learn about the tremendousness of being good to one's parents, and keep this in mind.

When troubled, tried, or tested, turn to Allah in earnest, heart-felt supplication (dua), for He has told us to, "Call upon Me: I will answer you."

The fire of anger is put out by the water of love: respond to her harshness with love, and soon you will find things changing.

Allah told the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) in the Qur'an,

003.159 It was by the mercy of Allah that You were lenient with them, for if You had been stern and fierce of heart they would have dispersed from round about thee. So pardon them and ask forgiveness for them and consult with them upon the conduct of affairs. And when You art resolved, then put your trust in Allah. Lo! Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him).

003.160 If Allah is your helper none can overcome you, and if He withdraw His help from you, who is there who can help you after Him? In Allah let believers put their trust.

Allah, the exalted, ordered us to treat them kindly even when they try to make us associate partners to Allah.

When being kind to one’s parents, we do not expect a reward from them, but we expect a reward from Allah.

If the parents are not kind and do not appreciate the kindness of their children, then one has to be patient, bearing the difficulties and be steadfast in doing good to them, and the outcome will be good, Insha Allah.

And Allah alone gives success.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!