/* */

PDA

View Full Version : fasting and extreme dehydration

Asiyaah
03-14-2010, 11:33 PM
As-Salamu Alaykum, I hope everyone is in good health and faith.

Something has been really bothering me and I would like some advice. I'm a revert and have only experienced one Ramadan and it went really bad. :(

My problem is extreme dehydration when I don't drink water during the fast. It's especially difficult during the summer months where in Ontario it is very hot (30C+ and humidity) and daylight is 16 hours long. I have an A/C but it's a cheapy that doesn't do much. Anyways, in the hot weather I sweat a lot. When I'm not drinking water I get so dehydrated that I actually stop sweating. I feel like I'm going go pass out or get heat stroke. I can't really avoid the heat because I have a full-time job and barely make it paycheque to paycheque as it is. Even when I drink water all through the night and wake up early to have breakfast I drink a lot of water. I avoid salt and caffeine. I'm not sure what else to do? I know I'm close to being borderline diabetic. I don't really want to talk to my doctor about fasting because he thinks religion is a part of my mental illness issues.

I want to please Allah. I'm not sure if this sort of suffering is what your suppose to go through as a Muslim?

I'd appreciate any advice. :embarrass

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Asiyaah
03-16-2010, 06:43 PM
*** bump bump ***

Dagless
03-16-2010, 06:59 PM
When you say borderline diabetic, how serious is it? If there is any real chance that fasting is going to damage you then don't do it. If you only feel bad after a few days then try a days break every 2 or 3 days. Your health should always come first.

Edit: Have you thought about another doctor? Associating religion and mental illness sounds insulting to me regardless of circumstances. It can be hard to find compassionate, understanding doctors... but they do exist.

KittenLover
03-16-2010, 07:14 PM
change your doctor!!! and don't fast if it will cause harm to your body. like some people have kidney issues so they don't fast.

ask a imam he will be able to tell you the ruling in this situation.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Rabi Mansur
03-16-2010, 07:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zaira
As-Salamu Alaykum, I hope everyone is in good health and faith.

Something has been really bothering me and I would like some advice. I'm a revert and have only experienced one Ramadan and it went really bad. :(

My problem is extreme dehydration when I don't drink water during the fast. It's especially difficult during the summer months where in Ontario it is very hot (30C+ and humidity) and daylight is 16 hours long. I have an A/C but it's a cheapy that doesn't do much. Anyways, in the hot weather I sweat a lot. When I'm not drinking water I get so dehydrated that I actually stop sweating. I feel like I'm going go pass out or get heat stroke. I can't really avoid the heat because I have a full-time job and barely make it paycheque to paycheque as it is. Even when I drink water all through the night and wake up early to have breakfast I drink a lot of water. I avoid salt and caffeine. I'm not sure what else to do? I know I'm close to being borderline diabetic. I don't really want to talk to my doctor about fasting because he thinks religion is a part of my mental illness issues.

I want to please Allah. I'm not sure if this sort of suffering is what your suppose to go through as a Muslim?

I'd appreciate any advice. :embarrass
I'm no Islamic scholar, but surely Islam allows exceptions when you are endangering your health. I don't think that Allah is pleased when one is suffering to the point that their health is impacted. Could you find a Muslim physician who might understand what you are faced with?

:wa:

KittenLover
03-16-2010, 07:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rabimansur
I'm no Islamic scholar, but surely Islam allows exceptions when you are endangering your health. I don't think that Allah is pleased when one is suffering to the point that their health is impacted. Could you find a Muslim physician who might understand what you are faced with?

:wa:
You are right, Islam allows exceptions to every aspect of the religion. Like my aunty has exzema that is aggrivated by washing 5 times a day, so instead of using water to purify her self for her prayers she uses pure earth soil.

Cabdullahi
03-16-2010, 07:27 PM
sister eat greasy chicken cooked in buffalo butter before sleeping and you'll wake up with your mouth amply hydrated....you wont even need chapsticks or even lip gloss.

Maryan0
03-16-2010, 08:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
sister eat greasy chicken cooked in buffalo butter before sleeping and you'll wake up with your mouth amply hydrated....you wont even need chapsticks or even lip gloss.
^lol
I live in western Canada now and it's not humid in the summer time but last year I went to visit toronto during the summer and it was sooo hot and it was'nt even the heat it was the humidity I couldnt stand it and I lived there for 14yrs so I feel your pain somewhat.
Like the brothers and sisters mentioned before you should speak to an imam I'm sure there are exceptions in cases such as yours.
Salam

Asiyaah
03-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies.

About the diabetes, my doctor checked my blood sugar level after fasting and found it rather high. But not high enough to be diagnosed as being diabetic. He suggested diet and exercise. Alhamdillah I've so far lost 7lbs and try to exercise everyday and eat a healthy diet.

I've asked my doctor about always being very thirty (I can't go anywhere without a bottle of water) and he more or less said that everyone's bodies are different and some require more water than others. I probably drink 1-2 cups of water an hour. I'm also prescribed medication that may factor into it.

I really can't change doctors. It took me 6 years to finally get this one. The town I live in has a major shortage. I'm very lucky to have -any- doctor.

I guess I'm not sure if I'm just being a wimp or not. When I compare my experience with others mine seems a lot more severe. I feel like I'm dying. I don't even feel hunger because I'm so thirsty.

Because I don't have any diagnosed medical condition (other than what I'm already taking meds for) I'm not sure if classifying it as being sick is right or not.

I still haven't visited the mosque in the area here - I'm very shy. A muslim friend at work said he may take me someday so I'd feel more comfortable with going, he could introduce me to people, etc. I know it's kinda early to talk about ramadan but this is something I -really- worry about and dread :(

KittenLover
03-16-2010, 09:52 PM
hmm I'm not really sure :( check this out maybe it is helpful.

Praise be to Allaah.

It is prescribed for sick people not to fast in Ramadaan, if fasting will cause harm or make the sickness worse, or if they need treatment during the day in the form of medicine or pills that must be swallowed, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Sawm (fasts) must be made up] from other days”[al-Baqarah 2:185]

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah loves people to avail themselves of His concessions (rukhsah) just as He hates them to commit sin.” According to another version, “As He loves His commands to be obeyed.”

With regard to taking blood from veins for testing etc., the correct view is that this does not break the fast, but if it is done often, it is better to leave it until night-time. If it is done during the day then to be on the safe side that day should be made up, because this is akin to cupping.”

(Fatwa of Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him), from Fataawa Islamiyyah, vol. 2, p. 139)

Sickness is of various kinds:

1 – That which does not affect the fast, such as a light cold or mild headache or toothache, and the like. In this case it is not permissible to break the fast, even though some of the scholars permitted that because of the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

“and whoever is ill…”[al-Baqarah 2:185]

But we say that this ruling is based on a reason, which is that not fasting is easier. If that is the case, then we would say that not fasting is better, but if fasting does not have an effect on him then it is not permissible to break the fast, and he has to fast.

2 – If fasting is difficult for the sick person, but it does not harm him, then it is makrooh for him to fast and it is Sunnah for him to break his fast.

3 – If fasting is difficult for him and will cause him harm, such as a man who has kidney disease or diabetes and similar cases where fasting will cause harm. In this case fasting is haraam. Hence we may see that some mujtahids and sick people make a mistake when fasting is difficult for them and may harm them, but they refuse to break their fast. We say that they are mistaken because they refuse to accept the kindness of Allaah and the concession that He has given to them, and they are harming themselves, although Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And do not kill yourselves”[al-Nisa’ 4:29]

al-Sharh al-Mumti’ by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, vol. 6, 352-254.

Esther462
03-16-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm not sure. I've been muslim for about 2 1/2 years and last year was my 1st ramamdan, the reason I didn't fast the year before was complicated. It went fine but I'm too a little worried about the summer, even thought they are not as hot here as where you are but I was fasting the other day and it wasn't a hot day, to train myself up for ramadan and I had a hypo whist walking, well thats what my mum told me what I had after telling her the symitems and she's a nurse. I know if I eat plenty and drink plenty during the night and at breakfast, I'll be alright.

Raaina
03-16-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm sure if you are ill or have long term sickness you don't have to fast. When I was at uni, some of my friends were fasting and then she got ill and she didn't fast for those days while she was ill. Perhaps as others have said, confirm with a scholor. But im sure if you're sick, you shouldn't fast.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!