/* */

PDA

View Full Version : is it ok lying in this situation?

anonymous
03-15-2010, 06:40 AM
:sl: brothers and sisters, may Allah reward for your hard works for this deen.

sometimes you have random people ask you questions that you might otherwise not answer. lets say you are in a shopping place, and then someone or shopkeeper asks you question like 'where are you from?' or 'how old are you?' is it ok to just make up the age or country, because if you dont want to tell strangers these kind of information but you also dont want to be rude to them. i dont know why should we just give out some information to random people, so is it ok to lie, but also you will feel guilty.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Life_Is_Short
03-15-2010, 01:51 PM
"Where are you from?" and "How old are you?" does not tell much about a person. They can't do anything with this kind of information. However, If they ask you your address or more personal information then just say why are you asking, i am not supposed to say or my mum said not to give personal info out to strangers.

Why lie when you can settle this small situation by telling the truth? :hmm:

Honesty is the best policy.

cat eyes
03-15-2010, 02:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
:sl: brothers and sisters, may Allah reward for your hard works for this deen.

sometimes you have random people ask you questions that you might otherwise not answer. lets say you are in a shopping place, and then someone or shopkeeper asks you question like 'where are you from?' or 'how old are you?' is it ok to just make up the age or country, because if you dont want to tell strangers these kind of information but you also dont want to be rude to them. i dont know why should we just give out some information to random people, so is it ok to lie, but also you will feel guilty.
just dont worry about it. trust on Allah. i have a feeling what u are afraid about but nothing can harm u only by the permission of Allah :) and only lie about ur age when u get old;D

Woodrow
03-15-2010, 03:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
just dont worry about it. trust on Allah. i have a feeling what u are afraid about but nothing can harm u only by the permission of Allah :) and only lie about ur age when u get old;D

Us old timers are too proud of our age to lie about it. There are real advantages to get past the age of 65, not only the nice discounts in restaurants. Although sometimes when people ask me my age I am very tempted to say 15 just to see the look on their face.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sampharo
03-15-2010, 05:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
"Where are you from?" and "How old are you?" does not tell much about a person. They can't do anything with this kind of information. However, If they ask you your address or more personal information then just say why are you asking, i am not supposed to say or my mum said not to give personal info out to strangers.

Why lie when you can settle this small situation by telling the truth? :hmm:

Honesty is the best policy.
Not to mention that you also let them know that not all people accept being asked personal questions, which is something that they should learn if they go as far as address or personal details. Age and country of origin are just small talk and they may just be trying to be friendly. Lying however is a major thing and the prophet -s.a.a.w.- demanded we don't lie even in jest.

Ansariyah
03-15-2010, 11:29 PM
I understand u feel a bit uncomfortable to answer a complete stranger that way, just step away no need to lie.

Tha malls not so bad, imagine sitting nxt to someone on the train, plane, or bus, n they just keep diggin 4 ur personal info..now thats borderline annoying, not to mention plain creepy. Even wen a woman does it still gives me the creeps...

revert2007
03-15-2010, 11:34 PM
there is only 3 situations where u are permissible to lie and ur situation is not one of it.

Innocent Soul
03-16-2010, 01:36 AM
Assalamualaikum
there is only 3 situations where u are permissible to lie
Please specify them...

revert2007
03-16-2010, 03:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Safiya 1
Assalamualaikum

Please specify them...
From "Ehiaa Oloum al-Din," by the famous Islamic scholar al-Ghazali, Vol. 3: PP.284-287:

One of Mohammed's daughters, Umm Kalthoum, testified that she had never heard the Apostle of Allah condone lying, except in these three situations:

For reconciliation among people.
In war.
Amongst spouses, to keep peace in the family.

anonymous
03-16-2010, 03:20 AM
why do strangers have to ask then? so the best thing to do is to ignore them or change the subject or something. im not a kid, so cant say my mum dont allow me to say these kind of things. it is annoying though there might not be any harm, but why in the world would i tell strangers any info, like what in the world for?? so you see... i sometimes dont like to tell, and when people ask, i say another country or another age close to mine, or the country close to mine. its not that i like to lie, i really dont.

Hamza Asadullah
03-16-2010, 03:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
why do strangers have to ask then? so the best thing to do is to ignore them or change the subject or something. im not a kid, so cant say my mum dont allow me to say these kind of things. it is annoying though there might not be any harm, but why in the world would i tell strangers any info, like what in the world for?? so you see... i sometimes dont like to tell, and when people ask, i say another country or another age close to mine, or the country close to mine. its not that i like to lie, i really dont.
:sl: it is best just to say in a normal and gentle tone, "I'm sorry i would rather not reveal that but thank you anyway" and simply walk away normally.

That is not being rude at all for it is being polite in saying that you would rather not reveal anything about yourself. If you don't want to reveal anything about yourself then don't feel compelled to have to lie just tell them you would rather not in the polite manner mentioned.

:wa:

anonymous
03-16-2010, 03:52 AM
^thank you all for your answers, may Allah bless you all dear brothers and sisters. i will try to do what is mentioned, maybe slowly by slowly then inshAllah it will be fine. i shouldnt lie even small like this, sometimes the lying just happens in this kind of situation, then i feel guilty, but next time if this happens again, i will tell them i dont like to say this information, or maybe i can change subject, and if i can get away with just ignoring, then maybe that inshAllah.

may Allah bless you all dear brothers and sisters for being service to the deen, really it is very great mashAllah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!