/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in California!

Beardo
03-16-2010, 12:47 PM
LOS ANGELES—An earthquake east of downtown Los Angeles rippled across Southern California before dawn Tuesday, jolting millions of people awake and putting first-responders on alert but causing no damage, injuries or power outages.

The magnitude-4.4 quake, centered about 10 miles east of downtown Los Angeles, struck shortly after 4 a.m., according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

"It was a shake, but not bad. Our inmates slept through it and we had a few calls, but not as many as you would think," Pico Rivera sheriff's station Sgt. Jacqueline Sanchez said. Deputies were immediately dispatched to check on bridges and dams, she said.

Los Angeles County Fire Department supervising dispatcher Andre Gougis said there were no reports of damage or injury and the department was at normal operations.

Mr. Gougis said the quake was felt as his east Los Angeles headquarters.

"There was an initial jolt, then mild shaking after that," he said.

Though the quake was considered small in size, it was felt over a large swath of Southern California. People from San Bernardino County to the east and Santa Monica, about 25 miles to the west, reported feeling it.

The quake hit not far from the 1987 Whittier Narrows earthquake, a magnitude 5.9 quake that killed eight people and caused more than $350 million in damage.

"I'm sure people would have felt it, but this is not an earthquake that will be damaging," said USGS geophysicist Amy Vaughan. Scientists have not yet determined which fault was responsible for the latest quake, said California Institute of Technology seismologist Kate Hutton.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sawdah
03-16-2010, 01:22 PM
SubhanAllah, inna ilahi wa ina ilayhi raji'oon

Earthquakes are definitely increasing in number...

Supreme
03-16-2010, 04:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by seekerofjannah
SubhanAllah, inna ilahi wa ina ilayhi raji'oon

Earthquakes are definitely increasing in number...
Not really. They're just being reported more often in the wake of the completely devestating Haitian Earthquake.

Shahreaz
03-16-2010, 06:33 PM
http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Beardo
03-16-2010, 11:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zÂk
Alhamdulillah there were no casualties :><: We do have quite some Californians here innit?
Yeah I think we do. Don't think there were any casualties. It was very light. My friend said he woke up screaming and yelling, thinking it was a thief. ;D He also said that everytime the windows rattled in his house, he would duck under a table, thinking it to be an aftershock...

But yeah. May Allah Ta'ala protect us from such calamities.

AhlaamBella
03-16-2010, 11:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Not really. They're just being reported more often in the wake of the completely devestating Haitian Earthquake.
Actually there were loads in 2009, 3 in september alone and that was before Haiti

Chuck
03-16-2010, 11:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Actually they are according to one scientist.

However, "relative to the 20-year period from the mid 1970's to the mid 1990's, the Earth has been more active over the past 15 or so years," said Stephen S. Gao, a geophysicist at Missouri University of Science & Technology. "We still do not know the reason for this yet. Could simply be the natural temporal variation of the stress field in the earth's lithosphere." (The lithosphere is the outer solid part of the Earth.)

http://www.livescience.com/environme...mi-100227.html

Beardo
03-17-2010, 12:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
Actually they are according to one scientist.
Sign of Qiyamah? Allahu Alam!

MuslimAgorist
03-18-2010, 08:20 PM
I don't know why... but I love Earthquakes.

Beardo
03-18-2010, 08:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimAgorist
I can't believe you can say that lol. ;D They're dangerous and disastrous. The shake might be fun to some extent, but the shock etc... It's quite... yeah...

aadil77
03-18-2010, 08:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
I can't believe you can say that lol. ;D They're dangerous and disastrous. The shake might be fun to some extent, but the shock etc... It's quite... yeah...
I wouldn't mind an earthquake as long as its knowhere near my home or city or where anyone lives

Beardo
03-18-2010, 08:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
I wouldn't mind an earthquake as long as its knowhere near my home or city or where anyone lives
Also as long as the ground doesn't crumble open.

Ramadhan
03-19-2010, 06:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimAgorist
Have you actually experienced an earthquake yet?
Preferably with a 7.5 SR while working/living inside a room on the 31st floor of a tall building?

ardianto
03-19-2010, 01:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
Preferably with a 7.5 SR while working/living inside a room on the 31st floor of a tall building?
The 2009 West Java earthquake, wasn't it ?.

I was in my car, trapped in traffic jam. And suddenly I felt like sat on 'Hip-Hop car'.

Beardo
03-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Upt o what magnitude do you think Californian houses are resistant?

My teacher was saying California is in a vulnerable situation. He said that it's not a matter of if anymore. It's a matter of WHEN.

ardianto
03-19-2010, 02:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
Upt o what magnitude do you think Californian houses are resistant?
Any architect who lives in California, here ?.

My teacher was saying California is in a vulnerable situation. He said that it's not a matter of if anymore. It's a matter of WHEN.
Oh, don't tell me it's in 2012.
By the way, in 2012 is Arnold Schwarzenegger still a governor of California ?.

MuslimAgorist
03-19-2010, 03:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
I'm from California... yeah I've been in an Earthquake. The largest was the 89 Loma Prieta, which was a 6.9 I believe. No one was hurt in my family, but there was a lot of damaged property and we didn't have power for about a week.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!