/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Possible revert with family - help

AnonymousPoster
03-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Hi, Im a married man in my late 30's with 4 children.

I have recently started to read the Qu'ran (to see what the fuss was about) after serving in the forces in the Gulf and meeting Bosnian Muslims in 1992 and now suddenly everything makes sense (thats a phrase i hear a lot among reverts!). I now realise that i have always been a Muslim deep inside.

How do i approach this with my family? Do i keep the fact that i want to revert quiet for now? We are not a religious family (live in the UK, dont go to church or anything), I think my wife and children will think i have gone mad, but I cant choose between my family and my faith.

I also read somewhere that it is better to be a bad muslim than a believer who doesnt take the Shahada. Im so confused and have so much to learn!

Any advice would be appreciated.
thanks in advance

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
03-16-2010, 05:34 PM
If you are a full member, hit me up with a message :)

Hamza Asadullah
03-17-2010, 01:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender

I have recently started to read the Qu'ran (to see what the fuss was about) after serving in the forces in the Gulf and meeting Bosnian Muslims in 1992 and now suddenly everything makes sense (thats a phrase i hear a lot among reverts!). I now realise that i have always been a Muslim deep inside.

How do i approach this with my family? Do i keep the fact that i want to revert quiet for now? We are not a religious family (live in the UK, dont go to church or anything), I think my wife and children will think i have gone mad, but I cant choose between my family and my faith.

I also read somewhere that it is better to be a bad muslim than a believer who doesnt take the Shahada. Im so confused and have so much to learn!

thanks in advance
:sl: Allah has truly blessed you in that he has given you guidance to the truth. Telling family about reversion is never an easy task but one that should be done using wisdom and tact.

You know your family better than anyone else so you should know the best way to break it to them. When you tell them about it be happy and excited because this is an amazing thing. Don't let them think that your just going through a phase or something but make them realise that you are now happier than ever before and that you will change for the better.

Once they see a more positive you and a new and much better person then they will realise the true beauty of Islam. Remember the best way to invite others to Islam is by showing the beautiful and perfect character that Muhammed (Pbuh) showed us to implement in our lives for he is our role model and came to perfect our characters. This is the start of an amazing journey for you and it will not be without trials and hurdles but with Allah and faith in your heart then you can get through any trial or hurdle and you will feel more amazing than you have ever imagined!

Here is some information for you:

Very useful Islamic Information for Reverts

http://www.islamicboard.com/new-musl...n-reverts.html

Here is the perfect book to start off with in building your knowledge on Islam starting from the basics and this book is a best seller but for you it is free so please print out:

http://www.islamicbulletin.com/free_..._teachings.pdf

General Advice For New Muslims From Other Converts

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/show...Other-Converts

The translation of salat (namaz)

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/show...f-salat-(namaz)

Here are more free recources for New Muslims:

http://kalamullah.com/new-muslims.html

Please don't hesitate to ask if there is any help or advice you need. If you tell me which town your from then i may be able to get you in touch with Muslims who may be able to help you inshallah.

:wa:

simonh
03-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Salaam aleiykum.

thankyou again for your advice (the site seems to have gone down and some of the posts disapeared!)

recited the shahada this morning!

Strangely feel as if a weight has been lifted! I'm trying to fast as well, though ive needed a few cups of tea!

It will be a long road and there is a lot to learn but, inshallah, i will get there.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ğħαrєєвαħ
03-18-2010, 02:31 PM
Aslaamu`alaaykum..
Masha`Allaah brother, May Allaah make it easy for you Ameen...
Indeed Learning about Islaam, makes you an even better better than you are now InshaAllaah..Indeed...Its fun to Learn new things also, A great Adventure Alhamdulilah and indeed beautiful according to my experience anyway Indeed....

Wa alaaykum..

Argamemnon
03-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Welcome to the fold of Islam, you made the right choice. May Almighty Allah guide you to the true path. Don't let anything or anyone discourage you. Life is short, we are all going to die.

Muhammad
03-18-2010, 07:57 PM
Assalaamu Alaykum,

Congratulations! All praise is for Allaah who has guided you to this religion of truth! You are now our brother in Islam. :)

You are right that there's a lot to learn, but take one step at a time and start with the most important things, such as the 'Five Pillars' of Islam.

About telling your family - brother Hamza summed it up quite well that you are in the best position to weigh up the situation and decide whether it is best to keep it quiet for the time being, or inform them of your decision to accept Islam. Also, there are many reverts out there who have faced the same problem, so perhaps they can give some useful advice.

May Allaah (swt) keep you steadfast and make things smooth and easy for you, Aameen!

- Qatada -
03-18-2010, 08:01 PM
Asalaam alaikum (peace be upon you) brother simon. :)

That's amazing! I think you should check this site out for more info;

http://muslimconverts.com

If you feel you can't tell your family, don't tell them until you feel more comfortable. Maybe introduce it gradually to them?

You should read biographies of the companions of Prophet Muhammad and see how they were firm on their faith, even though their family opposed the message.

See here for one example;
http://www.islamicboard.com/companio...i-waqqaas.html

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask brother! :D

aadil77
03-18-2010, 09:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by simonh
Salaam aleiykum.

thankyou again for your advice (the site seems to have gone down and some of the posts disapeared!)

recited the shahada this morning!

Strangely feel as if a weight has been lifted! I'm trying to fast as well, though ive needed a few cups of tea!

It will be a long road and there is a lot to learn but, inshallah, i will get there.
Walaykum asalam brother, where abouts are you in the midlands, if theres a mosque there please do go over and let everyone know, inshAllah you'll meet some good muslims

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-18-2010, 09:22 PM
:sl:

MashaAllah! Welcome to Islam and the Ummah :D:D May Allah keep u steadfast and may Allah guide your family as well! Ameeen.

markislam
03-19-2010, 12:41 AM
what is the phrase you are talking about ?

thats a phrase i hear a lot among reverts

syilla
03-19-2010, 02:34 AM
MashaAllah... mabrook akhee...

Allahuakbar! :)

simonh
03-19-2010, 10:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by markislam
what is the phrase you are talking about ?

thats a phrase i hear a lot among reverts
sorry - i meant i started reading the qu'ran and "suddenly everything makes sense", like i was looking for the book all along but only now have i found the truth.

I am concentrating on my salaah first, as that is the most important, and i shall continue to learn.

there is a mosque here (nuneaton) and i will visit when i feel ready.

thankyou.

sunnyhayat
03-19-2010, 02:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by simonh
sorry - i meant i started reading the qu'ran and "suddenly everything makes sense", like i was looking for the book all along but only now have i found the truth.

I am concentrating on my salaah first, as that is the most important, and i shall continue to learn.

there is a mosque here (nuneaton) and i will visit when i feel ready.

thankyou.
It is nice to know someone is just like me
I am 53 just taken shahada secretly and am still not able to tell my family. but recently something good happened and now my wife is partially understanding my feelings about islam and surprisingly she is receptive to my feelings now

simonh
03-19-2010, 03:27 PM
I just noticed your post "my wife.." and commented on it! keep me informed how things go. Im hoping the family see the positive changes in me so i can explain why..

sunnyhayat
03-19-2010, 03:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender

thanks in advance
I am also in the same boat like you. have recently taken shahada secretly and I am 53 with family children who dont know yet.
Let us manage this situation together if u wish my id in yahoo messenger is sunnyhay

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!