/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Studying a Foreign Language

Argamemnon
03-18-2010, 07:13 PM
:sl:

I want to study a foreign language to become a translator. I'm so excited because it's a solitary job and I really love learning foreign languages. But I'm thinking long term, which language(s) should I prefer so that I could find a job easily everywhere? I may even move to a Muslim country (inshallah) in the future, does that mean that I should stick to English??? I already speak Dutch and Turkish and a little German..

Thanks/JazakAllahu Khayran

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Güven
03-18-2010, 07:25 PM
I would say Arabic. Its a language that is been used all around the world.

islamirama
03-18-2010, 07:37 PM
W'salaams

Go with arabic, it will benefit you in the duniya and the deen inshallah. Saudi is becoming a major player and going through economic boom business, lot of western investors are looking at it keenly. An arabaic translator can earn you top $$ with these companies and even universities that have their branches open in arab world.

Argamemnon
03-18-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm a bit afraid of Arabic, I hope it's not too hard. Thanks for the replies.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
happy
03-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Try somalia joking Arabic is the best and it's beautiful.

islamirama
03-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Sheikhul Islam Ibnu Taymiyyah said about learning Arabic:

“Moreover, the Arabic language itself is part of Islam, and knowing Arabic is an obligatory duty. If it is a duty to understand the Qur‘an and Sunna, and they cannot be understood without knowing Arabic, then the means that is needed to fulfill the duty is also obligatory.

There are things which are obligatory on all individuals (fard ‘ayn), and others which are obligatory o*n the community or Umma (fard kifayah, i.e., if some people fulfill them the rest are relieved of the obligation).

This is the meaning of the report narrated by Abu Bakr Ibn Abi Shaybah who said: ‘Isa Ibn Yunus told us from Thawri from ‘Umar Ibn Yazid that ‘Umar wrote to Abu Musa al-Ash’ari and said: “Learn the Sunna and learn Arabic; learn the Qur‘an in Arabic for it is Arabic.”

According to another hadith narrated from ‘Umar, he said: “Learn Arabic for it is part of your Religion, and learn how the estate of the deceased should be divided (fara‘id) for these are part of your Religion.”

This command of ‘Umar, to learn Arabic and the Shari’a combines the things that are needed, for Religion involves understanding words and actions. Understanding Arabic is the way to understand the words of Islam, and understanding the Sunna is the way to understand the actions of Islam…”

Sheikhul Islam Ibnu Taymiyyah said about this in his advise:

“Hence when the early Muslims went to live in Syria and Egypt, where the people spoke Byzantine Greek, and in ’Iraq and Khurasan, where the people spoke Persian, and North Africa (al-Maghrib) where the people spoke Berber, they taught the people of those countries to speak Arabic, so that Arabic became the prevalent language in those lands, and all the people, Muslim and Muslims alike, spoke Arabic. Such was also the case in Khurasan in the past, then they became lax with regard to the language and got used to speaking Farsi until it became prevalent and Arabic was forgotten by most of them. Undoubtedly this is disliked.”

It is reported that Shu'bah – Allâh have mercy on him – said, "Learn Arabic, for it increases the intelligence." *Tahdhîb Al-Tahdhîb* Vol.4 p303.

format_quote Originally Posted by Argamemnon
I'm a bit afraid of Arabic, I hope it's not too hard. Thanks for the replies.
There's a hadith that says do not say arabic is hard for it will be hard for you, say it is easy and Allah will make it easy.

Here's good place to get started:

http://abdurrahman.org/arabic/learningarabic.html

http://www.madinaharabic.com/

M.A.S.H.
03-20-2010, 09:24 PM
the easiest language to learn is one related to your own. From that perspective, Arabic may appear hard, I suspect your mother tounge is Turkish/dutch, I'm not sure to what extent Turkish and Arabic are related, perhaps it makes it easier for you.
And of course, the main factor to learning a foreign language is the desire to know it, if you feel knowing Arabic will benefit your faith this is a good incentive.
I'd advise Arabic/Chinese.

Nora.
03-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Arabic :) ..

Argamemnon
03-21-2010, 12:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.A.S.H.
the easiest language to learn is one related to your own. From that perspective, Arabic may appear hard, I suspect your mother tounge is Turkish/dutch, I'm not sure to what extent Turkish and Arabic are related, perhaps it makes it easier for you.
And of course, the main factor to learning a foreign language is the desire to know it, if you feel knowing Arabic will benefit your faith this is a good incentive.
I'd advise Arabic/Chinese.
Both my parents are Turkish, but since I was born and raised in the Netherlands my Dutch is better than my Turkish. Turkish and Arabic are totally unrelated. Turkish is also totally unrelated to European languages. It's an Asian language, but we do have Arabic words.

Beardo
03-21-2010, 01:17 AM
Well, you know brother, most languages do not have a pattern like Arabic.

Take the English word Bologna for example. Who would know it's really pronounced Baloney?

Or Rough. Now say Through. See? No pattern.

Whereas in Arabic, it actually opens your mind up. And believe me, it also helps your mathematical skills.

Best of all, Arabic is so vastly learned, that the cirriculum has been made very easy compared to languages like Japanese/Chinese etc. Don't sweat it. Go for it!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!