/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is the North more racist than the South?

Blackpool
03-18-2010, 08:07 PM
I know alot of people here in the North of England that are openly racist and it is no shock to hear any of these racist comments. In the South I never heard of it much, apart from 2 or 3 people but here where I live the majority seem to have extreme right wing opinions of anyone non-British, not so much the Polish however.
Today at work one guy decided to wind a muslim guy up with something so sensitive. His question to him was "do you have Ken Bigley's head in your locker?" Most people burst out laughing. The guy wasn't impressed at all but as everyone sticks together it was pointless reporting to the manager.

I would definitely, from my experience, say that the North extremely more racist than the South of the border.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Supreme
03-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Well there's racism in every country you visit. It is an inherent human nature. However, I would have to agree that the north is slightly more racist than the south, if only because there is a far higher proportion of white people in places such as Northumberland or Newcastle than London (which I assume you mean by the 'south'.)

جوري
03-18-2010, 08:11 PM
the fellow should have said, no I don't but I might have your head soon in there..
at least that is what I'd have said .. what an ass this guy you work with!

gladTidings
03-18-2010, 08:45 PM
I agree with you Blackpool, Ive noticed up north the locals are generally ignorant and many of them have the strangest ideas about Islam and muslims. Their views are quite clearly a product of the media. I don't think the muslims up north have helped much and I think its fair to say many of the muslims are quite ignorant about their own religion and confuse many of their cultural practices with religion. Theres also less access to higher education in the smaller towns etc.

In the south, theres more international community and probably more awareness and better access to higher education.

So yes I think theres comparatively more ignorance up north especially in the smaller towns and therefore more racism.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aadil77
03-18-2010, 08:50 PM
I used to live in middlesborough about 10 years ago, alot of racism then, not sure what its like now

13th Yarba
03-20-2010, 12:15 AM
Gossamerskye has the best answer on how to handle any insensitive northern ribbing – throw a joke back.

But seriously; Muslims decapitated Ken Bigley live on TV because he was a white Englishman – that is real racism, if you want to get angry about something get angry about that.

Ken Bigley was born and raised 50 miles from Blackpool, he was one of their own, and if they crack jokes it is to ease the painful memory.

Try to see it from their point of view once in a while.

Life_Is_Short
03-20-2010, 12:31 AM
If it is really serious you can write a formal complain to the Trades Union or 'The Commission for Racial Equality'. In the Nothern Ireland, the equality Commission provides information and advice in respect of all forms of unlawful discrimination.

Ummu Sufyaan
03-20-2010, 04:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
the fellow should have said, no I don't but I might have your head soon in there..
lol, my thoughts exactly :hiding:

you've just got to be smart about these things and know how to use it to your advantage.

جوري
03-20-2010, 04:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan

you've just got to be smart about these things and know how to use it to your advantage.
I actually used the line before so it came easy lol..
one time at the airport the dude who hauls luggage was complaining that my luggage is very heavy, was saying it loud enough for attention I guess.. so I told him it contains the body of the last guy who complained. It really left him speechless long enough for me to get my business done!

:w:

gladTidings
03-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Lol nice one, seriously...how did you get away with that? A muslim, at an airport, thats enough to alert suspicion amongst airport security.

جوري
03-20-2010, 04:01 PM
of course I got away with it.. also because I have a really great looking smile 'dimples and all'
:haha:

Amadeus85
03-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Racism is sign that society is in big crisis. It appears especially after secularization process when the nation has not common fundament left but colour of skin. It's very shallow and simply a mind error.

malayloveislam
03-20-2010, 04:52 PM
racism is ignorance but it is in everyone...

waqas maqsood
03-21-2010, 02:26 AM
Peace to all...

I think the whole of UK is racist.. They might not show it but you can feel it..

The only reason London has less racism is because of large numbers of different ethnic backgrounds and lets face it, they are too busy making money and ripping people through mortgages, loans etcc...

S_87
03-22-2010, 02:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 13th Yarba

But seriously; Muslims decapitated Ken Bigley live on TV because he was a white Englishman – that is real racism, if you want to get angry about something get angry about that.

Ken Bigley was born and raised 50 miles from Blackpool, he was one of their own, and if they crack jokes it is to ease the painful memory.

Try to see it from their point of view once in a while.
they should remember why they did that and remember he was in a war and was taken by muslims who were being invaded. and also, it doesnt link every muslim to it. it works both ways.
i dont know if the north is more racist than the south, but i find places like dewsbury to be quite racist.

Mysterious Uk
03-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Dunno if it's more in the north or not but I know there are racists in Newcastle. In school people passed round their phone which had racist messages on it, one guy i know had a file on his phone entitled- Racist jokes. They would all read them and laugh together, the bunch of stupid idiots. But then again the guy that did it was more of an attention seeker than a racist, I think he was showing it to people to look 'cool'.

Also regarding this:
format_quote Originally Posted by peãrl
I agree with you Blackpool, Ive noticed up north the locals are generally ignorant and many of them have the strangest ideas about Islam and muslims. Their views are quite clearly a product of the media. I don't think the muslims up north have helped much and I think its fair to say many of the muslims are quite ignorant about their own religion and confuse many of their cultural practices with religion.
Can you clarify what you mean? Are you saying that Muslims in the North should be doing more da'wah?

13th Yarba
07-12-2010, 08:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
they should remember why they did that and remember he was in a war and was taken by muslims who were being invaded. and also, it doesnt link every muslim to it. it works both ways.
i dont know if the north is more racist than the south, but i find places like dewsbury to be quite racist.
<comment removed>

Ken Bigley was murdered by a pathetic psychopath for no gain other than self-aggrandizement.

You should look inside yourself and question how you can defend this.

Also it is telling that all the examples given in this thread branding the UK as racist exclusively specify ‘racist jokes’ as the source of discomfort – poor you, it must be really terrible (sarcasm intended).

I have lived in many Muslim countries (unlike you lot) and have experienced true racism - apartheid, separate laws, schools, workplaces, compounds – you don’t know how lucky you are to live in such a non-racist environment and I hope you never have to find out, although perhaps if you did, you might gain a sense of perspective and drop the self-pity.

Rhubarb Tart
07-12-2010, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=13th Yarba;1347356]You are an idiot Amani

Ken Bigley was murdered by a pathetic psychopath for no gain other than self-aggrandizement.

You should look inside yourself and question how you can defend this.

Also it is telling that all the examples given in this thread branding the UK as racist exclusively specify ‘racist jokes’ as the source of discomfort – poor you, it must be really terrible (sarcasm intended).

I have lived in many Muslim countries (unlike you lot) and have experienced true racism - apartheid, separate laws, schools, workplaces, compounds – you don’t know how lucky you are to live in such a non-racist environment and I hope you never have to find out, although perhaps if you did, you might gain a sense of perspective and drop the self-pity.[/QUOTE]

How do you know any of "you lot" never lived in a muslim countries?

I think you need check yourself. Of course there are non Muslims that are suffering in Muslim countries. However I think you are writing crap in regards to lot of these Muslim countries. Most non Muslim in Muslim countries have their own laws and are living a peaceful life and are able to practice their religions. Even when non Muslim are suffering, this suffering is not executively towards them, Muslims in these countries also get kidnapped, beheaded, stoned and prosecuted.

And shame on you for thinking this joke (which was deliberately made to target one individual =Bullying ) in particular was completely acceptable. You make Blackpool sound as if they are close knit community or something...

Don’t be hypocrite; you would be offended if it was you.

13th Yarba
07-12-2010, 09:54 PM
it is clear that nobody on this thread has had to live in a muslim country, if they had they would'nt be spouting this self-pitying rubbish, they would appreciate what they had and take a broader view

and as it happens being raised with a multinational upbringing has uniquely qualified me to comment - and i have lived amongst northerners to, the only difference between an insult and a joke is that they smile when its a joke, you are invited to join them or set yourslef apart - one thing they won't tolerate is pomposity - something you possess in spades

Rhubarb Tart
07-12-2010, 10:15 PM
it is clear that nobody on this thread has had to live in a muslim country, if they had they would'nt be spouting this self-pitying rubbish, they would appreciate what they had and take a broader view

and as it happens being raised with a multinational upbringing has uniquely qualified me to comment - and i have lived amongst northerners to, the only difference between an insult and a joke is that they smile when its a joke, you are invited to join them or set yourslef apart - one thing they won't tolerate is pomposity - something you possess in spades

Salam

But were you there? The poster is non Muslim and he was there. He said it was more than a joke and it happens on daily basis.
In my opinion, the north is not racist especially Scotland, but majority of them are ignorant about ethnic minorities and their religions.
Even supreme, another non Muslim agreed with the poster.

13th Yarba
07-12-2010, 10:30 PM
peace and no disrespect but i thought we were discussing perceived racism in england, and i perceived a hypocricy just as you percieved a hyprocricy in me - are we trapped in a never ending circle now

format_quote Originally Posted by sweet106
How do you know any of "you lot" never lived in a muslim countries?
and I’ve just realised what you did there – when I said ‘you lot’ in reference to the posters on this thread you assumed I meant ‘you lot’ as in muslims in general.

As it happens I know exactly what racism is, you can undertake a test if you like to determine exactly how racist you are; they hook you up to a electroencephalograph and monitor your brain activity while you watch various people of different races performing simple tasks – when watching your brain will ‘sympathise’ and generate electrical activity in the part of the brain that controls the same functions as the person you are watching – generally when people watch those of their own race perform the tasks the electrical activity in the brain is greater than when they watch people of different ethnicity perform those very same tasks – so you could say we are all inherently slightly racist, for more on this I suggest you check out ‘the selfish gene’.

It can be noticed in such ways as, oh I don’t know, when someone cracks a joke about Ken Bigley you get all indignant, and then when Vale Lily cracks a joke about chopped up body parts in her luggage you’re all like ha ha thumbs up etc

I refer you to my original post on this thread – try seeing the issue from another point of view, if you can – Sweet like cyanide.

Rhubarb Tart
07-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Salam

and I’ve just realised what you did there – when I said ‘you lot’ in reference to the posters on this thread you assumed I meant ‘you lot’ as in muslims in general.
No, as these members that commented not muslims in general.

As it happens I know exactly what racism is, you can undertake a test if you like to determine exactly how racist you are; they hook you up to a electroencephalograph and monitor your brain activity while you watch various people of different races performing simple tasks – when watching your brain will ‘sympathise’ and generate electrical activity in the part of the brain that controls the same functions as the person you are watching – generally when people watch those of their own race perform the tasks the electrical activity in the brain is greater than when they watch people of different ethnicity perform those very same tasks – so you could say we are all inherently slightly racist, for more on this I suggest you check out ‘the selfish gene’.
I never heard about this, it sounds interesting.

All I am saying is, the poster above said this particular joke was not intended to be a joke. You know some people can be racist in smart manner.

Tbh, I don’t think a joke is funny if it target one individual in group setting. In depend on whether they were close friends but from what I can read I doubt it. I would say the same thing if these colleagues were black and made joke about the one white person there. I would the same thing, if the colleagues were fat and jokes about the only thin person there.

All I am saying is you and I were not there, so we have to take what said from the poster as the truth. I think is wrong to label one side of the country are racist, as no one has met everyone there. We can only make assumption. And I know white people are not the only racist people, black can be racist, Asian can be racist. It all depends on circumstances.

13th Yarba
07-12-2010, 11:45 PM
very true - nobody wants to be bullied, or to feel isolated - especially on grounds of something they have no control over like their race or their weight, but i would venture it happens every day to almost everyone, it happened to me when i read this post - how would you feel if you checked out a forum and the post heading was 'are northern muslims more racist than southern muslims' and then you read a long post from english people all saying 'yeah yeah, muslims - well racist north and south but those southern muslims phewee - they're the worst'? - you might feel that you had in fact been racialy offended by reading the post, passive racism that is capable of splitting people into tiny little groups and then judging them off against each other.

And frankly sweet no matter how much we might wish it otherwise we do live in a divided society now - one that splits people off into groups and never the twain shall meet. The exact defintion of racism is 'treating someone differently because of their race' - those lads in Blackpool take the mick out of each other all the time, that is their culture and they sought to include him - to NOT take the mick out of the original poster would have been treating him differently and therefore technically been far more racist than saying nothing - i guess they just can't win whatever they do.

i do know one thing though - this is exactly the scenario that was planned by the people who chopped off bigleys head - to drive a wedge between people, its not what the english wanted and now we're stuck with it, i personaly cant wait for the whole thing to blow over and get back to normal - thats why i'm here on this forum, to do my bit to hurry up the process, i'm just gutted that you and amani take so much convincing, but i don't want to keep you up, we can continue it another time

Rhubarb Tart
07-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Salam

When you put it like that I understand where you are coming from. Don’t take what you read on the internet to heart. I know those types of jokes and I know Blackpool culture. But frankly we don't know the relationship between this person and his colleagues. If they were like mates, it may have been a joke. We don’t know. Maybe you should ask the poster. I am pretty sure even Blackpool, these lads don’t just pick on someone randomly or someone who is not their mates unless they are nasty that is.

You know like in classroom where one child is constantly picked on, and joked about. The bullies themselves may think it is a joke, but such jokes are hurtful because it makes the person stand out negatively from the crowd. All we know is about this one incident and the poster made it sound negative which why you read these comments before us.

I don’t think all British people are racist at all. Actually I think Britain is the most tolerant country in Europe. I don’t have anything against British people, I am sorry you think I do. I like all my neighbours and those around me.

13th Yarba
07-13-2010, 12:43 AM
Sweet by name, sweet by nature - and you are right - i guess there are always two sides to the story

what i should have done was not go on the offensive but to apologise to the original poster on behalf of the english - i guess i felt stung and lashed out

thanks for helping me to see the whole argument and i'm sorry if i offended you

yarba

S<Chowdhury
07-13-2010, 01:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sweet106
I don’t think all British people are racist at all. Actually I think Britain is the most tolerant country in Europe. I don’t have anything against British people, I am sorry you think I do. I like all my neighbours and those around me.
I'll agree the British are pretty tolerant from other eurpean contries but there is hidden racism its not blatantly displayed but its there in the majority of British people, you only really see the proper outright racism in working class deprived areas , but in the upper class its alot more subtle n hidden

13th Yarba
07-13-2010, 01:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by S<Chowdhury
you only really see the proper outright racism in working class deprived areas , but in the upper class its alot more subtle n hidden
seeing hidden racism are we chowdhury – that’s a neat trick, like x-ray vision or something

you must be paranoid

by the way; you can all feel free to throw as many negative rep points my way as you like

- for calling someone "idiot" because he doesnt agree and for being a troll -

or whatever

S<Chowdhury
07-13-2010, 08:09 AM
seeing hidden racism are we chowdhury – that’s a neat trick, like x-ray vision or something

you must be paranoid

by the way; you can all feel free to throw as many negative rep points my way as you like

- for calling someone "idiot" because he doesnt agree and for being a troll -

or whatever

Oh how sad throwing negative rep points OH PLZ DONT IT'LL HURT ME oh no WAIT it wont lool Bro its okey i don't mind if you don't agree though I am right haha :P I'm not paranoid they just don't say it to your face or its subtle so you don't register it that they've said something racist and i don't have x ray vision but x ray glasses :P

aadil77
07-13-2010, 08:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by S<Chowdhury
I'll agree the British are pretty tolerant from other eurpean contries but there is hidden racism its not blatantly displayed but its there in the majority of British people, you only really see the proper outright racism in working class deprived areas , but in the upper class its alot more subtle n hidden
True that, the labour class chavs will just say it your face or whilst you're walkin down the street - but the upper class will give you snidy looks and comments

titus
07-13-2010, 02:23 PM
As a white American who worked in London for a few months I can definitely say that many English are definitely racist towards Muslims. It was shocking how open some people felt in expressing their hatred. I had never seen anything like it before.

aadil77
07-13-2010, 06:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by titus
As a white American who worked in London for a few months I can definitely say that many English are definitely racist towards Muslims. It was shocking how open some people felt in expressing their hatred. I had never seen anything like it before.
Over here people are quite open about things, nothing is too offensive to be kept to yourself, I think its good - atleast you know what they have a problem with

Cabdullahi
07-13-2010, 06:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan

fiesty minds think alike

Templar
07-16-2010, 03:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
At least that would've determined whether it was meant as banter or as provocation.
If it was banter there would've been more laughter. If it was provocation there probably would've been violence; or the threat of it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!