/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What to include in a CV?

Life_Is_Short
03-19-2010, 06:07 PM
:sl:

I am updating my CV for a job. A regular student job. So far I have:

Education
Work History
Skill/Abilities
Interests
Reference

Do you have to include profile and does it have to be relevant to the type of job you're applying to?

Jazak'Allah Khair.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamirama
03-21-2010, 05:25 PM
:wa:

I would avoid giving out to much personal information and only professional info...

Curriculum Vitae Format

Your Contact Information
Name
Address
Phone
Email

Employment History
List in chronological order, include position details and dates
Work History
Academic Positions
Research and Training

Education
Include dates, majors, and details of degrees, training and certification
High School
University
Graduate School
Post-Doctoral Training

Professional Qualifications
Certifications and Accreditations
Computer Skills

Awards
Publications
Books
Professional Memberships
Interests

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/cvsamp...blsamplecv.htm

SMA89
03-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Dont put your references in there.. Just under that tab put "References available upon request"
Keep the references ready in a different file.

Put all experiences including volunteer work.

Contact information for sure.

I think you forgot the main thing: CAREER OBJECTIVE!!!!

Life_Is_Short
03-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Jazak'Allah Khayran for that. Career objective goes under profile. I need to hand it into Connexions and they require details of referees.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
03-23-2010, 05:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SMA89

Put all experiences including volunteer work.
In work history ?,...... that's right !.

If you have graduated from UNI/College two years ago but your work history is empty, your CV would be ended in thrash bin.

Raaina
03-23-2010, 10:32 AM
That CV layout looks pretty good.

It's always advisable to write a profile at the start of your cv. It gives employers a quick look of who you are and what work you are looking for, so potentally whether you would be right for the job.

Sis786
03-23-2010, 05:21 PM
I would say write a bit about you, dont put it under a heading just have it at the top, point your strengths and what you intend on doing. Its something we look out for when we get in CV's.

I know you are always advised to put under references "available on request" but I would advise to list at least two references.

Good luck with the Job Hunting

SMA89
03-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Also try to make the resume appealing to the eyes. When I had to hire my staff I was more interested in the Resumes that were straight to the point and appealing to the eye. First impressions are important. Dont make it dull.

unknown_JJ
03-24-2010, 09:12 AM
put work history and education in chronological order, and keep it clear and simple, straight to the point, if they want more info, they will call you.

btw i finally got a new job woohoo

Life_Is_Short
03-24-2010, 06:12 PM
I got a placement in retail. Turns out I didn't need the CV afterall but Jazak'Allah all the same. :hmm:

CosmicPathos
03-26-2010, 01:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
:sl:

I am updating my CV for a job. A regular student job. So far I have:

Education
Work History
Skill/Abilities
Interests
Reference

Do you have to include profile and does it have to be relevant to the type of job you're applying to?

Jazak'Allah Khair.
Do not include any personal info except your name or maybe nationality if it can help you in attaining that job.

Regarding the core of the question, include every skill that is relevant to the job and also non-relevant. Prioritize by relevant skills and then include non-relevant ones.

CV is different from a resume. CV is a detailed listing of your previous life experiences which are of professional nature. List down every single experience that you deem worthy and word it such that it highlights the skills you gained from it.

If you have any paper publications or presentations at conferences, please do not forget to include them. For papers, you will need to cite references to the journals etc.

Remember, you have to sell yourself. No one is going to look into your heart that how good you are. This is a world working on darwinian mechanisms and you will have to make every effort to shine out from the rest of the crowd. In the end, tawakkul Allah.

That's it for now.

CosmicPathos
03-26-2010, 02:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
In work history ?,...... that's right !.

If you have graduated from UNI/College two years ago but your work history is empty, your CV would be ended in thrash bin.
That sort of irks me off. What if someone took time for personal contemplation and away in isolation from this material world? These Western employers (now Eastern too due to globalization and imitation) guys have a materialistiic mentality and if you were unproductive, as they see it, for few years after education, they are going to deem you unskilled.

islamirama
03-26-2010, 04:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
That sort of irks me off. What if someone took time for personal contemplation and away in isolation from this material world? These Western employers (now Eastern too due to globalization and imitation) guys have a materialistiic mentality and if you were unproductive, as they see it, for few years after education, they are going to deem you unskilled.
Western employer are good in one thing compared to eastern. They don't ask for a picture of you with an application, probably because its against the law in the west. Some ask like 6 4x6 photos, even so called islamic universities. What do the perverts need the pictures for? Western employers who are in the east also get pervert openly and start demanding these pictures.

Life_Is_Short
03-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Employers favour those that have some kind of experience in the field they're applying for over and above those that do not.
This is why i have to do a full-time two weeks (unpaid) work experience in the retail before I am offered a part-time job anywhere in the retail industry. This experience will be of no use to me in the future and i will probably have to remove it from my CV. :/

GuCcI
04-01-2010, 04:16 PM
I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but it's best not to include "hobbies" or "interests" because it allows for the screener to be biased. You have to keep it as professional and to the point as possible, particularly pertaining to the job you are applying for. If you write something like skating or soccer for interests, well that isn't really relevant to most jobs, it's useless.

Only include things that boosts your chances of being screened in and considered which are relevant. The best way to do it is to look at the job posting and look at what they require, then tweak your CV to include those "keywords/phrases" so if it is an electronic screening system, then it will catch the keywords and screen you in.

In job postings there are two main sections to focus on: Employee duties/responsibilities (which is the work that is required of you to perform) and Qualifications/Required skills/credentials (which are the minimum skills, competencies, and experiences you need to pass initial screening). Your resume and cover letter should clearly indicate you have met their minimum criteria, and its important to throw in those catchy keywords/phrases from the "responsibilities" section because sometimes having those are considered assets.

For retail like you said, you don't need it, but keep these things in mind for the future when you are applying to other places inshallah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!