/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 30 Days As Muslim

Beardo
03-20-2010, 04:00 AM
How many of you have watched this documentary? This thread is a discussion for those who have. Feel free to add your thoughts on the comments of those who have watched the videos, but don't make any presumptions without watching it.

"Oscar-nominated documentary film maker Morgan Spurlock (SuperSize-Me) presents '30 days as a Muslim'.

A Conservative Christian man spends 30 days living as a Muslim with a Muslim family. "

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
03-20-2010, 04:09 AM
Hated it.. thought it a mockery!

Beardo
03-20-2010, 04:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
Hated it.. thought it a mockery!
I mean, it did have some good messages in it though. It was obvious they were trying to be neutral about it, though.

What exactly did you find to be a mockery?

We were watching it, and at the end, someone asked if they were offended by the depiction of Muhammad Sallallahu alayhe Wasallam in the video.

The MSA president said that she thought it was okay for educational purposes.

Then another Muslim girl said she was offended by it, and not only for the Prophet, but for the other Prophets as well, like Isa Alayhe Salaam etc.

SMA89
03-20-2010, 04:28 AM
Do you have a link to the documentary?

He also made a Documentary called "Where in the world is Osama Bin Laden"

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Beardo
03-20-2010, 04:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SMA89
Do you have a link to the documentary?

He also made a Documentary called "Where in the world is Osama Bin Laden"

No I don't. Or more like I don't know whether it's a good idea to post it or not. Could be considered a waste of time. Try YouTube or google though.

I made "Supersize Me" which I watched in high school.

I watched the movie at an MSA event actually. It was interesting as many non-Muslims were there as well. For some reason, I felt it was somewhat scripted though. Especially since I saw a portrait of a man hanging at the back of the Masjid. :hmm:

جوري
03-20-2010, 04:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
I mean, it did have some good messages in it though. It was obvious they were trying to be neutral about it, though.

What exactly did you find to be a mockery?

We were watching it, and at the end, someone asked if they were offended by the depiction of Muhammad Sallallahu alayhe Wasallam in the video.

The MSA president said that she thought it was okay for educational purposes.

Then another Muslim girl said she was offended by it, and not only for the Prophet, but for the other Prophets as well, like Isa Alayhe Salaam etc.
I just didn't like.. it is nothing in particular.. it is a lack of reverence I guess even if they were attempting to make a 'good point' on how Muslims are treated. Islam is a life time commitment not subject inane reality shows..
to me this is akin to some airport tent revival of a smarmy street preacher driving the snakes out of the locals..

it was bah!

SMA89
03-20-2010, 04:59 AM
I just watched 2 parts on youtube. The other 3 parts were deleted by Youtube. Seems like a small educational documentary about Islam. Nothing to complain about, more people will have a better understanding of Islam and the similarities with other religions as well.

جوري
03-20-2010, 05:01 AM
You don't understand Islam better by loaning it to a fundie for thirty days.. what kind of logic is this or lack thereof?

Beardo
03-20-2010, 05:11 AM
You're right. I mean, I won't be surprised if it was scripted. But I suppose it's better than other videos about Muslims. Even that little helps us. It might increase people's curiosity.

One of the things I found interesting was when they were asking random people what's the first thing that comes to mind when they hear the word Islam or Muslim or terrorist, etc.

جوري
03-20-2010, 05:18 AM
I personally don't care to change the opinion of the average pork rind eating, beer chugging, monday night football watching provincial oaf.. so whether the program changes the opinion for the positive or not, it makes no difference whatsoever.. an opinion is an opinion.. and when these morons act on their hatred they become criminals so I don't think it changes much...

the sooner we stop appeasing these fools the better we'll all feel!

:w:

Justufy
03-23-2010, 02:09 AM
I found it pretty entretaining.:p However these reality shows should be taken with a grain of salt.

Beardo
03-23-2010, 04:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Justufy
I found it pretty entretaining.:p However these reality shows should be taken with a grain of salt.
Were you offended by the fact that a Christian left christianity for 30 days? I always wondered, ever since watching the videos, what the other side had to say about this...

Justufy
03-23-2010, 05:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
Were you offended by the fact that a Christian left christianity for 30 days? I always wondered, ever since watching the videos, what the other side had to say about this...
No, its just a show, Im not offended by a reality show.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!