/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Western educated Sufi head, Ahmed Al-Tayyeb, appointed as new Sheikh of Azhar

Sampharo
03-20-2010, 11:06 AM

Islamic scholar named Egypt's new top cleric

CAIRO -- Egypt's president named a moderate, Western-educated Islamic scholar the country's new top cleric on Friday, the state news agency reported.

The appointment makes Ahmed el-Tayeb the new grand sheik of Cairo's Al-Azhar, the pre-eminent theological institute of Sunni Islam, the faith's majority sect. He takes over from Sheik Mohammed Sayed Tantawi, who died of a heart attack last week after heading Al-Azhar for nearly 14 years.
El-Tayeb, who was in his hometown of Luxor in southern Egypt when he received news of his appointment, said he "highly appreciates the great trust" President Hosni Mubarak has bestowed on him, the Middle East News Agency reported.

The Sheik of Al-Azhar is highly respected throughout the Muslim world, offering guidance on issues of faith in Egypt and other Islamic nations. He oversees an extensive network of Islamic schools, a university and religious institutes that open their doors to Muslims from around the world.
The sheik also advises the state on religious matters.

The French-educated el-Tayeb, 64, previously served as Egypt's Mufti, the nation's top religious law expert, for a brief stint before stepping down in 2003 to head Cairo's Al-Azhar University. He is an expert on religious philosophy and issues of faith, and has written books about science, Marxism, Islamic philosophy, and Islamic culture.

Viewed as a moderate Muslim who has encouraged dialogue with Western countries, el-Tayeb has outwardly criticized hard-line Islamists, saying the focus on rituals and outward manifestations of piety - such as Islamic garb or beards - comes at the expense of true spiritual development.

El-Tayeb also angered radical Islamists for once telling an Islamic conference that "the logic of things is change."

Source

"Ahmad Al-Tayeb was born in the province of Qena in Upper Egypt in the family of Sufi sheikh. After the death of his father became a mentor, a Sufi tariqa.

In academic circles, “Al-Azhar” Tayeb gained fame as a respected scientist who did not go into discussion of controversial issues, and when he was mufti of Egypt not tolerate fatwas, sowing discord."

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
marwen
03-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Ok, personally I'm not very optimistic about the Naming of Ahmad al-tayeb as the seikh of Azhar. You know, he is named by the Egyptian president ! if you know what I mean. Plus, he's not very liked by many islamists. I hope my thinking is wrong because, if not, I think the Azhar will be loosing his competency as an islamic reference in the next years, and this is scaring me.

Sampharo
03-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Al-Azhar honestly had already lost 75% of its credibility in the last few years. Its position as "the leading authority of Islamic law in the World" is now little more than press release statements. Highest sheikh of Islamic reference in Egypt being a shaven government-appointed head of a Tariqa (Mystic Way) is enough to certainly seal the deal.

aadil77
03-20-2010, 06:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sampharo
Al-Azhar honestly had already lost 75% of its credibility in the last few years. Its position as "the leading authority of Islamic law in the World" is now little more than press release statements. Highest sheikh of Islamic reference in Egypt being a shaven government-appointed head of a Tariqa (Mystic Way) is enough to certainly seal the deal.
True, from that pic I couldn't tell if he was muslim or not.

Just another gov't employed puppet

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
islamirama
03-20-2010, 06:49 PM
And now we may see many anti-islam actions taken by this new puppet, like banning of the niqaab that the last one started to initiate...

Maryan0
03-20-2010, 09:16 PM
The Sheiks of Al Azhar were not traditionally appointed by the government but by scholars so I cant see how they can be taken seriously when they are appointed by corrupt leaders regardless of whether they are salafi or sufi.
Salam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!