/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Praying while wearing silk clothes...

Yusuf Saeed
03-21-2010, 03:13 PM
:sl:

Today I discovered that one shirt I have that I've also worn while praying is 60% silk. I'm now worrying about whether I should repeat all those prayers. And if I should I have no way of knowing how many prayers I'd have to make up as I don't know how many I've prayed this certain shirt.

Some things I found about wearing silk while praying from different Islamic schools of law:

"The Imamis observe: A man's salat is not valid if he wears
pure silk and any clothing embroidered with gold during it, regardless
of whether it is a waistband, cap, socks, or even a gold ring. They allow
wearing silk during salat in times of illness and during war.

The Shafi'is state: If a man performs salat while wearing silk or over
something made of it, it will be considered a haram act, though his salat
will be valid (al-Nawawi, Sharh al-Muhadhdhab, iii, 179). The author of this text has not found an express statement in the books of the remaining schools concerning the validity or invalidity of salat performed in silk, though the Hanafis as well as the Hanbalis (in accordance with one of two narrations) concur with the Shafi'is regarding the general rule that if there is any command prohibiting something which is not directly connected with salat such as the command prohibiting usurpation the salat will be valid if it is not observed and The person will be considered as having performed a wajib and a haram act together. Accordingly the salat performed in a dress of silk is valid. The author of al-fiqh 'ala al-madhahib al-'arba'ah reports a
consensus for the Sunni schools that that it is valid for a man constrained
to perform salat while wearing silk, and it is not wajib for him to repeat
it."

If any of you have some information regarding this matter and can give me some advice, please do.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamza Asadullah
03-22-2010, 12:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yusuf Saeed

Today I discovered that one shirt I have that I've also worn while praying is 60% silk. I'm now worrying about whether I should repeat all those prayers. And if I should I have no way of knowing how many prayers I'd have to make up as I don't know how many I've prayed this certain shirt.

Some things I found about wearing silk while praying from different Islamic schools of law:

"The Imamis observe: A man's salat is not valid if he wears
pure silk and any clothing embroidered with gold during it, regardless
of whether it is a waistband, cap, socks, or even a gold ring. They allow
wearing silk during salat in times of illness and during war.

The Shafi'is state: If a man performs salat while wearing silk or over
something made of it, it will be considered a haram act, though his salat
will be valid (al-Nawawi, Sharh al-Muhadhdhab, iii, 179). The author of this text has not found an express statement in the books of the remaining schools concerning the validity or invalidity of salat performed in silk, though the Hanafis as well as the Hanbalis (in accordance with one of two narrations) concur with the Shafi'is regarding the general rule that if there is any command prohibiting something which is not directly connected with salat such as the command prohibiting usurpation the salat will be valid if it is not observed and The person will be considered as having performed a wajib and a haram act together. Accordingly the salat performed in a dress of silk is valid. The author of al-fiqh 'ala al-madhahib al-'arba'ah reports a
consensus for the Sunni schools that that it is valid for a man constrained
to perform salat while wearing silk, and it is not wajib for him to repeat
it."

If any of you have some information regarding this matter and can give me some advice, please do.

Someone praying in a silk garment and then removing it

It is related that 'Uqba ibn 'Amir said, "The Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, was given a silk garment and put it on and prayed in it. When he finished, he wrenched it off violently as if it was hateful to him and said, 'This is not appropriate for those who fear Allah.'" (Bukhari)

According to Sheikh Hamza Karamali:

Although it is unlawful for men to wear silk garments, a past prayer performed wearing silk garments is valid. One is not required to make up the prayer. If, however, one wore such garments knowing that they were made of silk, one is required to repent to Allah Most High and to resolve never to return to the sin again.

Therefore you do not have to repeat your prayers but repent to Allah regardless and take more care in what clothing you pray in in future.

and Allah knows best

:wa:

Zehra786
03-22-2010, 08:13 AM
hey but I see some people doing namaz with short sleeve shirts up to elbow..will the namaz be accepted..

Innocent Soul
03-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Assalamualaikum

There is no problem for men. Only girls have to cover there sleeves also.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Yusuf Saeed
03-22-2010, 09:27 AM

Someone praying in a silk garment and then removing it

It is related that 'Uqba ibn 'Amir said, "The Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, was given a silk garment and put it on and prayed in it. When he finished, he wrenched it off violently as if it was hateful to him and said, 'This is not appropriate for those who fear Allah.'" (Bukhari)

According to Sheikh Hamza Karamali:

Although it is unlawful for men to wear silk garments, a past prayer performed wearing silk garments is valid. One is not required to make up the prayer. If, however, one wore such garments knowing that they were made of silk, one is required to repent to Allah Most High and to resolve never to return to the sin again.

Therefore you do not have to repeat your prayers but repent to Allah regardless and take more care in what clothing you pray in in future.

and Allah knows best

JazakAllah khairan for another helpful and knowledgeable reply, brother. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!