PDA

View Full Version : Malay First, Muslim Second



north_malaysian
03-23-2010, 03:57 AM


What do you think about this dude's statement? Is it Islamic to say that you're Malay first, Muslim second?
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
marwen
03-23-2010, 04:24 AM
The prophet said : [لا فرق بين عربي أو أعجمي إلا بالتقوى] the only difference that exist between an arab and a non-arab is the piety (al taqua). So there is no difference between an indonesian or a malaysian or an american or an arab. The first thing that counts for Allah is our piety as a muslim and our ethics. Allah judges me according to my islam : if i'm a good muslim or not, Allah doesn't look at my origin or my color.
he should say : I'm a muslim first (that's the most important thing) and then Malay if he wants. I think, Otherwise, he will be against the prophet's hadeeth and against his sunnah.
Reply

ardianto
03-23-2010, 04:41 AM
It's better if we leave our prejudice before make a comment on his statement.

Maybe this is only a 'smooth protest' against .................... I don't know what is the right word for this, maybe 'Arabization'. I mean a 'strict suggestion' to change Malayan Islamic culture into Arabic culture.
Reply

north_malaysian
03-23-2010, 07:25 AM
I think that his giving priority to his ethnic group first not his religion...

for example, if he had to choose a Malay who is not religious and a Chinese who is Muslim and religious... he would choose the Malay to be his representative...
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
ardianto
03-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I think that his giving priority to his ethnic group first not his religion...

for example, if he had to choose a Malay who is not religious and a Chinese who is Muslim and religious... he would choose the Malay to be his representative...
Actually, his statement will not causing a misunderstanding if he say :
"First, I am a Malay. Second, I am a Muslim, Third, I am a male. Fourth, I am a businessman. Fifth, I like gardening. Sixth, my favorite food is Laksa, Seventh, ............ ".
Reply

north_malaysian
03-23-2010, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Actually, his statement will not causing a misunderstanding if he say :
"First, I am a Malay. Second, I am a Muslim, Third, I am a male. Fourth, I am a businessman. Fifth, I like gardening. Sixth, my favorite food is Laksa, Seventh, ............ ".
His another statement:



"Rakyat" means "Public"... he's saying that public's right is second to Malays' rights...
Reply

north_malaysian
03-23-2010, 08:14 AM
For those from outside Southeast Asia, "Malay" and "Malaysian" are two different things.

Malay = an ethnic group which is the largest in Malaysia

Malaysian = A citizen of Malaysia which includes the Malays, Chinese, Indians, Aborigines, Natives of Borneo, Thais, Japanese, Eurasians, Europeans etc.
Reply

'Abd Al-Maajid
03-23-2010, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Actually, his statement will not causing a misunderstanding if he say :
"First, I am a Malay. Second, I am a Muslim, Third, I am a male. Fourth, I am a businessman. Fifth, I like gardening. Sixth, my favorite food is Laksa, Seventh, ............ ".
It should like this:
"First, I am a Human Being. Second, I am a Male, Third, I am a Muslim. Next comes, son,father,husband,broher......Next, Blah, Blah....".;D
Reply

Chuck
03-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by abdulmajid
It should like this:
"First, I am a Human Being. Second, I am a Male, Third, I am a Muslim. Next comes, son,father,husband,broher......Next, Blah, Blah....".;D
I can't say that, I'm first a muslims because that defines everything about me.
Reply

tango92
03-23-2010, 09:03 AM
chronologically your muslim first
Reply

ardianto
03-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Frankly, I don't understand what is that dude (aizley ?) talking about.
Reply

marwen
03-23-2010, 12:29 PM
you don't decide to be a Malay or a British or an African : so these aren't things you should be proud of them. But as a conscious human, you decided to be a muslim (or to continue to be a muslim) : that's something you should be proud first.
Reply

Samiun
03-23-2010, 01:46 PM
:sl: This is Twitter, I are you serious brother?
Reply

Argamemnon
03-23-2010, 02:17 PM
It's wrong. I'm Muslim first and Muslim second! Unfortunately, most people in Turkey don't agree with me.. but I've heard even in Saudi Arabia people have the same attitude... it's wrong, wrong, wrong...
Reply

ardianto
03-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
His another statement:



"Rakyat" means "Public"... he's saying that public's right is second to Malays' rights...
I hope that is not racist statement.
Reply

north_malaysian
03-24-2010, 02:31 AM
Originally Posted by ardianto
I hope that is not racist statement.
personally, i think that it's a racist statement...
Reply

Grace.Tranquil
03-24-2010, 03:10 AM
This is a fine example of Nationalism. I'd like to call it the disease of Nationalism. By stating that he is a Malay first before a Muslim, he is being nationalistic. He is basically trying to make himself look "different" than your average Muslim because he states he is Malay first. I could have just said I am a Malay Muslim. Then there would be no issue. Just my opinion and 2 cents :)
Reply

islamirama
03-24-2010, 03:19 AM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian

What do you think about this dude's statement? Is it Islamic to say that you're Malay first, Muslim second?
He is a racist nationalist like many muslims today, especially the Arabs. And that makes him not one of us.

It is narrated by Abu Da'wud that the Messenger of Allah (saaw) said,

"He is not one us who calls for `Asabiyyah, (nationalism/tribalism) or who fights for `Asabiyyah or who dies for `Asabiyyah."

And in another Hadith, the Messenger of Allah (saaw) referring to nationalism, racism, and patriotism said:

"Leave it, it is rotten." [Muslim and Bukhari] and in the Hadith recorded in Mishkat al-Masabith, the Messenger of Allah (saaw) said,

"He who calls for `Asabiyyah is as if he bit his father's genitals"

In another incident, Jabir ibn `Abd Allah al Ansari, narrated what happened at the watering place of al Muraysi which led to the Munafiqun stirring up the traces of `Asabiyyah and seeking to destroy the unity of the Muslims. He said: "We were on a raid when one of the Muhajirun kicked one of the Ansar. The Ansar said, `O Ansar! Help me! (calling his tribe) and the Muhajir said, `O Muhajirun! Help me! (calling his tribe). The Messenger of Allah (saaw) heard them and said,

"Why are you stirring up something which belongs to Jahilliyah?"
Reply

north_malaysian
03-24-2010, 05:24 AM
Originally Posted by Grace.Tranquil
This is a fine example of Nationalism. I'd like to call it the disease of Nationalism. By stating that he is a Malay first before a Muslim, he is being nationalistic. He is basically trying to make himself look "different" than your average Muslim because he states he is Malay first. I could have just said I am a Malay Muslim. Then there would be no issue. Just my opinion and 2 cents :)
I am a Muslim first and I dont want to be an ethnic Malay (officially I am registered as a "Malay")... I dont like being linked to "Ketuanan Melayu"...

What's ketuanan Melayu?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketuanan_Melayu
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!