/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Leather sock for wudu

innocent
03-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Salam alaikum

I have some leather socks which I use for wudu at work. Last week it rained a lot and I walked home and my shoes and socks were all soaked. The water went through the leather socks. Does this mean I cant use them for wiping over anymore?
I think the condition is that water should not be able to get inside them but it did. I have ordered some new ones.

Jazakallah khair.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AabiruSabeel
03-23-2010, 05:16 PM
:sl:

A similar question was asked on Sunni Forum here but it is not yet answered by any 'Alim there. For another question, Mufti Husain said as long as the tear on leather socks is smaller than 3 toes, it is fine. Better consult an 'Alim.

Hamza Asadullah
03-25-2010, 03:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by innocent
Salam alaikum

I have some leather socks which I use for wudu at work. Last week it rained a lot and I walked home and my shoes and socks were all soaked. The water went through the leather socks. Does this mean I cant use them for wiping over anymore?
I think the condition is that water should not be able to get inside them but it did. I have ordered some new ones.

Jazakallah khair.

Ibn Abidin mentioned in Radd al Muhtaar that:

It says in Bahr quoting Miraaj that: “And it is permissible (to do masah) over boots (jaaruq) which are split from the top and has laces, strings to tighten it and close the split. Because of this it is like as if it has no split or tear. (Ibn Aabidin, Radd al Muhtaar, pg261,262 Vol.1)

If the water went into your socks through the top then it is ok, but if it has split then best to buy new ones.

and Allah knows best

:wa:

innocent
03-26-2010, 12:26 PM
I think it went in through the seam actually. The sock itself hasnt split as far as I can tell. So do I need to discard them?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamza Asadullah
03-26-2010, 03:01 PM
I think it went in through the seam actually. The sock itself hasnt split as far as I can tell. So do I need to discard them?
:sl: best to take precaution and discard them and get new ones.

and Allah knows best in all matters

AabiruSabeel
03-26-2010, 05:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81
:sl: best to take precaution and discard them and get new ones.

If there is no tear on the sock, then wouldn't that be wrong to simply throw them away?

Hamza Asadullah
03-27-2010, 12:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel
:sl:If there is no tear on the sock, then wouldn't that be wrong to simply throw them away?

Allamah Kaasaani (R.A.) writes in Bada'e us Sana'e, first volume, page 10: "If they (the socks) are so thin that water seeps (penetrates) through them, then it is not permissible to make masah over such socks by the consensus of the Scholars."

One of the conditions of these socks is that they must be waterproof. Therefore if water permeates through them then they must be discarded.

and Allah knows best

innocent
03-29-2010, 09:14 AM
Another question- Are we supposed to wash the leather socks at all or can they be washed, should they be washed?

Hamza Asadullah
03-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Another question- Are we supposed to wash the leather socks at all or can they be washed, should they be washed?
:sl: There is no problem in washing them but chances are that polish/colour on the leather might faded up or lose its shine so better to clean them with wet piece of cloth for that will suffice inshallah.

innocent
03-31-2010, 04:07 PM
Do you think these socks are suitable?
http://www.lotetree.co.uk/ultra-thin...socks-80-p.asp

Hamza Asadullah
03-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Do you think these socks are suitable?
http://www.lotetree.co.uk/ultra-thin...socks-80-p.asp

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatoh

In order for it to be permissible to wipe on non-leather socks, it is imperative to fulfil all the conditions of leather socks. After thoroughly studying the inherent qualities of leather socks, our illustrious Fuqaha suggest that non-leather socks should resemble leather socks in the following:

They should entirely cover both the ankles.

They should be durable enough that a person can walk with the sock for three miles without them tearing.

Both socks should independently be free from holes to the extent of three small toes.

The socks should remain on the leg without it being tied or fastened.

They should be such that water does not seep through them.

[Al Mabsoot lil Sarakhsi (1/18, 184 Dar al Fikr), Al Muheet al Burhani (1/343, Al Majlis al Ilmi), Ahkam al Quran lil Jassaas (3/440, Dar al Kutub al Ilmiyyah), Tuhfa al Mulook (1/33, Dar al Bashaair al Islamiyyah), Majma al Anhur (1/75, Dar al kutub al Ilmiyyah), Al Bahr ar raaiq (1/191, 192 Dar al Ma’rifah), Tabyeen al haqaaiq 1/52 Dar al kutub al Ilmiyyah), Al Fatawa al Hindiyyah (1/32, Dar al fikr), Ad Dur al Mukhtaar (1/269, Dar al fikr), Tuhfa al Ahwadhi (1/278, Dar al kutub al Ilmiyyah), Al Maslak adh Dhaki (1/29, Wajidi Publishers), Fatawa Mahmoodiyyah (5/195, Farooqiyyah), Fatawa Haqqaniyyah (2/216, Dar al Uloom Haqqaniyyah), Kifayah al Mufti (2/321, Farouqiyyah, Fatawa Darul Uloom Zakariyyah (1/509-5516, Zam Zam Publishers)

We have personally examined ‘sealskinz’ socks and are satisfied that they fulfil all the above-mentioned conditions. One can refer to their website to see the full durability of these socks. Hence, it is permissible to use ‘sealskinz’ socks as leather socks and make masah on them.

And Allah knows best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Source: http://www.central-mosque.com/fiqh/masahsealskinz.htm

innocent
04-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Jazakallah khair.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!