/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Practical solution needed (banking)

Bungy Dude
03-24-2010, 03:59 PM
:sl:

Over the years I have earnt interest on my current a/c's with 3 different banks, not a lot of interest as I havent got much money but nevertheless its all the same regardless of the amount.

The banks wont take this money back from me so how do I dispose of this money?

Any suggestions, the bank said I could get them to send it to charity if I wrote to them but they will be sending it on my behalf, if that was the case I'm sure I could find my own worthy cause.

I seem to remember someone telling me I cant send this to charity, is this the case, if not what are my options now?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamirama
03-24-2010, 05:31 PM
:wa:

It is not permissible to make use of the interest (riba) which the banks pay to their customers. They must get rid of it by donating it to charitable causes.

The Scholars of the Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas said:

The interest which the banks pay to depositors on the money that they deposit in them is regarded as riba (usury). It is not permissible to make use of this interest, and the customer must repent to Allaah from depositing his money in riba-based banks. He should withdraw the money that he deposited and the interest, keep the original amount and donate the extra to charity, to the poor and needy or for renovating public facilities etc.

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 2/404

And Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
With regard to the interest that the bank gives to you, do not give it back to the bank and do not keep it, rather spend it on charitable causes such as giving it to the poor, renovating public washrooms, helping debtors who are unable to pay off their loans, etc.

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 2/407

And Allaah knows best.

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/23346

Bungy Dude
03-24-2010, 06:08 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me, I'll be sending it to the poor people in Bangladesh, jazakallah

ardianto
03-25-2010, 01:29 PM

Few months ago another member asked a similar question, and I gave an answer "Don't ever take that extra money. Make a new account as 'forgotten account' and 'throw' that extra money on it".

I made statement like that because I thought, if we give that extra money to the poor that is similar as give haram money to the poor.

However, few weeks ago I read a fatwa from Shaykh 'Abd al-'Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allah have mercy on him) that ordered the questioner to take that extra money and give it to the poor because if the questioner does not take that money, the bank will lend that money to someone else and get more riba.

This fatwa made me thinking and made me change my mind. Yes, Shaykh 'Abd al-'Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allah have mercy on him) was right.

So, brother Bungy dude, I support your decision to send that money to the poor people in Bangladesh. May Allah reward you.

:)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
03-26-2010, 01:57 AM

this is what my family does with that extra riba money pls take the advise or leave it according to your comfort level money.. my brother used to throw it, and my dad told us all to give it as tip money to those pushy people who clean your windshield when you don't want them to, or when you travel to a poor country in the middle east (one in particular that shall remain nameless) and folks push you under duress for unearned tips, that is usually where that money goes.. but al7mdlillah it is good to know you can give it to charity even if it doesn't count..

:w:

ardianto
03-26-2010, 03:38 AM
Remember, fatwa for give that extra money to the poor is valid only for situation when we have no choice other than save our money in conventional bank, and we do not expect an extra money but the bank gives it to us.

If we have two options, save our money in sharia bank or conventional bank, but we decide to save our money in conventional bank with intention, the bank will gives us extra money and we can give that extra money to the poor, ... that is haram.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!