/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Six C(s) of Good Character- Which do you possess? 

Life_Is_Short
03-25-2010, 03:24 PM
:sl:

Conscience- Conscience is the inner moral compass that Allah subhaanahu wa ta`ala has given us, a moral compass inside by which we are able to feel the right from the wrong, by which we (sometimes) are able to tell the right from the wrong.

Compassion-Our ability to feel for others, our ability to feel with others, our ability to feel for the pain of those who are around us.

Consideration-Thinking before you act and before you speak, questioning how my action and how are my words going to impact those around me. Is it going to bring them up or is it going to crush their spirits. Is what I am about to say nice that I need to share with people, that will be pleasing for them to hear it. Or is it going to crush their spirits and bring them down.

Courage- Being able to stand up for what you believe. It is about the ability to stand up for the principles and values that you hold. We say you are a person of courage when you are challenged yet you stand up for your beliefs and you stand up for your principles and you stand up for your values.

Control-Ability to control our desires and to control our rages. Ability to control and to abstain and to hold back. Many times we want to lash out at people. Many times we want to express ourselves in a negative way. How/Do we control ourselves in such situations?

Confidence-Confidence in what? Many times doing what is right, we cannot see the results immediately and sometimes we doubt it. So we say, be confident. You need to do the right thing all the time, whether you reap the value, whether you reap the benefit, whether you see the result is irrelevant. Do what is right. Be confident that what is right needs to be done all the time, no exceptions.

Inspired by a lecture "Six C’s of Good Character" by Sheikh Yassir Fazaga.

This thread serve as a reminder. We must achieve the goal of correcting our character. This is the goal that determines the position of one before Allaah in this world and the Hereafter.

May Allah (swt) help us reach this goal.

Full lecture here.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
SMA89
03-26-2010, 04:18 AM
Wow I have all 6 :) :P

Ummu Sufyaan
03-26-2010, 06:43 AM
wa alaykum us-Salaam
are these characteristics aimed at what we posses in regard to our deen, or do they also encompass other aspects of our lives?

CosmicPathos
03-26-2010, 10:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
:sl:

Conscience- Conscience is the inner moral compass that Allah subhaanahu wa ta`ala has given us, a moral compass inside by which we are able to feel the right from the wrong, by which we (sometimes) are able to tell the right from the wrong.

Compassion-Our ability to feel for others, our ability to feel with others, our ability to feel for the pain of those who are around us.

Consideration-Thinking before you act and before you speak, questioning how my action and how are my words going to impact those around me. Is it going to bring them up or is it going to crush their spirits. Is what I am about to say nice that I need to share with people, that will be pleasing for them to hear it. Or is it going to crush their spirits and bring them down.

Courage- Being able to stand up for what you believe. It is about the ability to stand up for the principles and values that you hold. We say you are a person of courage when you are challenged yet you stand up for your beliefs and you stand up for your principles and you stand up for your values.

Control-Ability to control our desires and to control our rages. Ability to control and to abstain and to hold back. Many times we want to lash out at people. Many times we want to express ourselves in a negative way. How/Do we control ourselves in such situations?

Confidence-Confidence in what? Many times doing what is right, we cannot see the results immediately and sometimes we doubt it. So we say, be confident. You need to do the right thing all the time, whether you reap the value, whether you reap the benefit, whether you see the result is irrelevant. Do what is right. Be confident that what is right needs to be done all the time, no exceptions.

Inspired by a lecture "Six C’s of Good Character" by Sheikh Yassir Fazaga.

This thread serve as a reminder. We must achieve the goal of correcting our character. This is the goal that determines the position of one before Allaah in this world and the Hereafter.

May Allah (swt) help us reach this goal.

Full lecture here.
Lets apply this hypothesis.

If an enemy of Allah has those 6 "Cs," does it mean he/she has purified his/her sou; and has a good character? Also, does it mean that an enemy of Allah with those 6 Cs is better than a Muslim who only has 2 Cs?

That is what you get with buttering the character of a Muslim and by restricting it with worldly man-made definitions.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Life_Is_Short
03-26-2010, 01:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
Also, does it mean that an enemy of Allah with those 6 Cs is better than a Muslim who only has 2 Cs? .
In the eyes of Allah? No

That is what you get with buttering the character of a Muslim and by restricting it with worldly man-made definitions.
What do you mean?

CosmicPathos
03-26-2010, 01:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
In the eyes of Allah? No

What do you mean?
I meant that these 6 Cs are good for setting goals but they are also restrictive. They somehow give me the thinking that we are trying hard to fit secular ideals with Islamic ideals. Those 6 Cs are the very thing that are are valued among the enemies of Allah and their American societies. So what is so Islamic about these 6 Cs?

★ηαѕιнα★
03-26-2010, 04:04 PM
I meant that these 6 Cs are good for setting goals but they are also restrictive. They somehow give me the thinking that we are trying hard to fit secular ideals with Islamic ideals. Those 6 Cs are the very thing that are are valued among the enemies of Allah and their American societies. So what is so Islamic about these 6 Cs?
I second this. There are loads of kafier people who actually posses those C's but still are non-believers. Piety really, all they need is Islam to fullfill their lives. imsad

Life_Is_Short
03-26-2010, 06:23 PM
So I take it you guys have not heard the lecture "Six C(s) of Character" by Sheikh Yassir Fazaga?

Listen to the full lecture and it will clear away all the confusion. If you like reading, here is the full script:
Why character is important, regardless of whether it starts with a C or any other alphabet?

In a hadeeth, the Prophet (saws) was informed about two women. One woman, they said, she prayed a lot, she fasted a lot, she did all her voluntary acts of worship, but she was extremely rude to her neighbors. The Prophet (saws) said, if she continues in this lifestyle, her final abode shall be the hellfire. And then he was told, O Prophet of Allah, there is another women, she does not pray much, she does not fast much, but she only fulfils her obligations, she is excellent and good when it comes to her neighbors. The Prophet (saws) said if she continues that route, her abode in the hereafter shall be heaven.

From this hadeeth, the Prophet (saws) is telling us having enough ibadah with excellent akhlaq will lead you to paradise. But never think that because you have abundance of ibadah, that will determine your abode in the hereafter. This is such a crucial point that we must understand well.

aadil77
04-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Character is a big part of islam, I think what the brother is saying is that that we shouldn't limit character to 6 c's, this is how non-muslims do self improvement, in islam we have the best character to emulate - Rasulullah (saws) - his qualities of character were not limited to 6 c's, he possessed much more qualities which muslims should strive to implement within themselves

tango92
04-21-2010, 05:55 AM
i disagree, these 6 are very important characteristics which a believer cannot do without. just because YOU dont fulfil some of the criteria doesnt mean theyre restrictive. just because theyre valued by non muslims doesnt mean they shouldnt be valued by us. and Allah can provide for whom he wishes so dont give me that antisocial nonsense.

confidence is needed for dawah
consience is needed to abstain from haram
compassion is needed to ofrm ties with family and fellow muslims
courage is needed for jihad, standing up for your rights and helping the muslims in any situation of need
control is needed to curb anger and cure pride. lowering gaze etc
consideration is needed to prevent you falling for the same haram twice. a true believer is always in a state of self improvement

if any of these are missing then you wont be as good a muslim as you can be. if you posses all these to a high degree then youll be doing dawah without even realising it, and be a pillar of your community.

aadil77
04-21-2010, 08:13 AM
^Are you disagreeing with me? All I said was that are more than 6 characteristics someone should have, but including those

Life_Is_Short
04-21-2010, 03:06 PM
^Agreed and the 6 C's could be a start for someone who does not have any.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!