/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Indian Supreme Court: Live togather is not illegal

Shahreaz
03-25-2010, 06:10 PM
NEW DELHI: In an observation that will cheer votaries of pre-marital sex and live-in-partners, the Supreme Court on Tuesday opined that a man and woman living together without marriage cannot be construed as an offence.

"When two adult people want to live together what is the offence. Does it amount to an offence? Living together is not an offence. It cannot be an offence," a three judge bench of Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan, Deepak Verma and B S Chauhan observed.

The court said even Lord Krishna and Radha lived together according to mythology.

The apex court said there was no law which prohibits live-in relationship or pre-marital sex.

The apex court made the observation while reserving its judgement on a special leave petiton filed by noted south Indian actress Khusboo seeking to quash 22 criminal cases filed against her after she allegedly endorsed pre-maritial sex in interviews to various magazines in 2005.

The judges grilled the counsel for some of the complainants in the case and repeatedly stressed that the perceived immoral activities cannot be branded as offence.

The argument of the counsel was that her comments allegedly endorsing pre-marital sex would adversely affect the minds of young people leading to decay in moral values and country's ethos.

"Please tell us what is the offence and under which section. Living together is a right to life," the apex court said apparently referring to Article 21 which granted right to life and liberty as a Fundamental Right.

The apex court further said the views expressed by Khusboo were personal.

"How does it concern you? We are not bothered. At the most it is a personal view. How is it an offence? Under which provision of the law?" the bench asked the counsel.

The apex court further asked the complainants to produce evidence to show if any girls eloped from their homes after the said interview.

"How many homes have been affected can you tell us," the bench asked while enquiring whether the complainants had daughters. When the response was in the negative, they shot back, "Then, how are you adversely affected?"

Khusboo had approached the apex court after the Madrash High Court in 2008 dismissed her plea for quashing the criminal cases filed against her throughout Tamil Nadu.
This is very good, now India become the land of prostitutes (male, female) and fatherless and motherless children, enjoy.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
03-25-2010, 10:37 PM
India is hindu country, like most of the world they don't care for morals like the ones we have in islam.

Supreme
03-25-2010, 10:43 PM
India is a secular country, actually. And it's clearly trying to be just as free as the West. Copycats.

Revigo
03-26-2010, 12:38 AM
A prohibition on living together can only be made up by mankind, and depends on cultural backgrounds more than politics or even religion.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd Al-Maajid
03-26-2010, 01:09 AM
India is a democratic country. It is not secular or non-religious...people here enjoy their rights and follow their religion, it is a fundamental right here to follow any belief. Otherwise we would not have these much of holidays...;D. However the government these days has gone mad...legalizing live-in relationships, banning on cow slaughter source etc...

And don't forget the reputation

'Abd Al-Maajid
03-26-2010, 01:41 AM
[PIE]The court said even Lord Krishna and Radha lived together according to mythology.
or
The court even said Lord Krishna and Radha lived together according to mythology. [/PIE];D;D;D;D;D;D;D

'Abd Al-Maajid
03-26-2010, 01:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Revigo
A prohibition on living together can only be made up by mankind, and depends on cultural backgrounds more than politics or even religion.
I respectfully disagree, brother. For me and (many I believe) living together (male and female) before marriage would not be crime if it was allowed in Islam. So, prohibition on living together should be made up by religion alone. And, culture, when we follow a beautiful religion like Islam there should be no space for culture in our hearts...

marwen
03-26-2010, 02:43 AM
Indian Supreme Court: Live togather is not illegal
Really not a good news to hear. India is a great country, but it has some problems like overpopulation and poverty; and this recent decision about "living together" will make things worse. Now it's the muslim's responsibility to protect himself from these corrupt relationships, as the government is legalizing these sins.

Pygoscelis
03-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Does it really take a court ruling to tell people that its ok to live with each other? Revigo is right. You need a pretty heavyhanded social construct to suggest otherwise.

ardianto
03-26-2010, 01:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
India is hindu country, like most of the world they don't care for morals like the ones we have in islam.
India is Hindu country, but actually live together like that is against Hindu's values. There is no religion that allow live together without marriage.

Revigo
03-26-2010, 04:58 PM
When Islam disagrees with court decission it is a countries governments wish that's neglected along the people that voted in favor of its decission. This means a cultural movement is taking place and not a religious one. Conclude that Islam has nothing to do with this.

aadil77
03-26-2010, 07:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Revigo
When Islam disagrees with court decission it is a countries governments wish that's neglected along the people that voted in favor of its decission. This means a cultural movement is taking place and not a religious one. Conclude that Islam has nothing to do with this.
Like I said, india is not a muslim country so this doesn't bother us.

Whereas in a proper islamic country there can be no democracy, theres no way people can choose over Allah's laws, everything is set.

Supreme
03-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Like I said, india is not a muslim country so this doesn't bother us.

Whereas in a proper islamic country there can be no democracy, theres no way people can choose over Allah's laws, everything is set.
Yes, but it's not a Hindu country either. It's secular.

aadil77
03-26-2010, 08:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Yes, but it's not a Hindu country either. It's secular.
Hindu extremist parties run the show, thats why its illegal to slaughter cows but legal to sell bottled cow piss

Supreme
03-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Hindu extremist parties run the show, thats why its illegal to slaughter cows but legal to sell bottled cow piss
Actually, the slaughter of cows is offense to Indians in general. It's become engrained into Indian culture, not just Hindu culture but Indian culture in general.

aadil77
03-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Actually, the slaughter of cows is offense to Indians in general. It's become engrained into Indian culture, not just Hindu culture but Indian culture in general.
By indian culture you mean hindus and sikhs, cause cows are regarded as holy animals in their beliefs. Its purely religious and nothing to do with culture or tradition as you're making it out to be.

Muslims make up to almost a third of india I don't see them following this culture.

Besides there has to be a reason for something to be offensive and in this case its religious significance.

Supreme
03-26-2010, 11:15 PM
By indian culture you mean hindus and sikhs, cause cows are regarded as holy animals in their beliefs. Its purely religious and nothing to do with culture or tradition as you're making it out to be.

Muslims make up to almost a third of india I don't see them following this culture.

Besides there has to be a reason for something to be offensive and in this case its religious significance.
My bad. I concede that point. I was under the impression cows were more of a Hindu thing than an Indian thing.

Also, Muslims make up 15% of India, not a third.

aadil77
03-27-2010, 05:22 PM

Also, Muslims make up 15% of India, not a third.
I said up to a third. Those figures of 15% are by the hindu extremist party, its obvious why they wouldn't want larger figures coming out.

Supreme
03-27-2010, 05:48 PM
I said up to a third. Those figures of 15% are by the hindu extremist party, its obvious why they wouldn't want larger figures coming out.
'Up to a third' isn't precise at all. It can be anything from 1%-33%. But 15% is believable, and it's still hundreds of millions. The third largest group are Christians- around 3% of Indians are Christians. Doesn't sound a lot, but it's still 24 million people:statisfie

Muslim Woman
03-27-2010, 05:59 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Shahreaz
This is very good, now India become the land of prostitutes (male, female) and fatherless and motherless children, enjoy.
I read in our local daily that judge gave reference of Lord Krishna , a hindu diety who has affair with his aunt . He said it's a proof that two persons can live together if they both agree .

Trumble
03-28-2010, 06:23 AM
I would point out, that whatever people's opinions on this issue may be, it was the responsibility of the judges to clarify and interpret the existing law, not make a moral decision on behalf of the nation or decide on new law. As far as I can see that's all they did do. If the Indian people think the result of their deliberations is undesirable, it's up to them to petition what is a democratically elected government to enact changes in that law.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!