/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hijab in the Home

paradise88
03-27-2010, 11:18 AM
:sl:

After reading brother Hamza's thread on Hijab it made me think about Hijab in the home. I know we dont have to wear it infront of brothers, father, husband etc.... BUT surely we should still dress modestly and cover ourself infront of them, I think it would be wrong to walk around in tight or revealing clothing infront of them.

However i may be wrong so please correct me..

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Danah
03-27-2010, 01:04 PM
yeah you are right its better to not wear tight clothes that reveal your body shape in an exaggerated way, or wearing short skirts and such in front of you maharem (except husband)

Sadly, many sisters think its okay to dress as they wish in front of them, and they go too far with that.

Hamza Asadullah
03-27-2010, 01:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by paradise786

After reading brother Hamza's thread on Hijab it made me think about Hijab in the home. I know we dont have to wear it infront of brothers, father, husband etc.... BUT surely we should still dress modestly and cover ourself infront of them, I think it would be wrong to walk around in tight or revealing clothing infront of them.

:sl: you are absolutley correct sister that infront Mahrams one should dress very modestly covering awrah with loose and concealing clothes.

Unfortunatley nowadays there are a lot of cases of sexual abuse even within families and because of this scholars have said that women should not dress in tight or revealing clothes infront of mahrams because shaythan can still ignite passions and desires.

Scholars agree that she should cover her awrah with loose and concealing clothes in front of everyone including mahrams and even infront of other women but there is no awrah infront of her husband for she can dress how she likes infront of him.

Scholars also agree that she should not wear shorts infront of her children but only infront of her husband.

Al-Mardaawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “It is permissible for a man to see the face, neck, head and calf of women who are his mahrams.” (Sharh al-Muntahaa, part 3, p. 7).

and Allah knows best in all matters

:wa:

cat eyes
03-27-2010, 05:43 PM
you can dress modestly in front of them though without having to wear hijab..

i think for a person to have a sexual desire is sick and disgusting and nobody is hardly going to look at your sister or aunty or what ever in that way +o( maybe thats why they feel they can wear anything they want because these sick thoughts are never going to arise anyway but on the other hand i agree with the scholars 100percent.. shayytan still plays his tricks no matter who your with but it only takes a perverted person to act on these desires or even to get these desires :hmm: +o(+o(+o(

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
paradise88
03-27-2010, 09:28 PM
Thank u guys, atleast our thoughts match, i dont see why peoplew would dress imodestly infront of unlces brothers etc i feel sorry that they have to see it. I pray for the people i know that Allah guides them, modesty is soooo important!

GuCcI
03-28-2010, 01:53 AM

its extremely important to dress modestly where ever in front of whomever.
there is even a certain level of modesty to be maintained between females, so of course you should not wear revealing clothing in front of your father, uncles, and brothers.
i also think this should be implemented in households at early ages, so its not just a sudden surprise to girls inshallah :shade:

AnonymousPoster
03-28-2010, 11:32 AM
i saw some girls in hajj in the ladies tents in minaa. In the ladies tents they were wearing mini skirts, low cut top tops and sleeveless tops. They said they dress like that at home too. Outside they wore full hijaab and niqaab. It just felt really strange. I personally, as a sister, didn't want to, neither did i expect to, see so much unnecessarily exposed flesh of a sisters. I sometimes wonder whether the wives of the prophet :saws: exposed so much flesh at home. (Apart from when they were alone with him, that is).

Danah
03-28-2010, 12:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
i saw some girls in hajj in the ladies tents in minaa. In the ladies tents they were wearing mini skirts, low cut top tops and sleeveless tops. They said they dress like that at home too. Outside they wore full hijaab and niqaab. It just felt really strange. I personally, as a sister, didn't want to, neither did i expect to, see so much unnecessarily exposed flesh of a sisters. I sometimes wonder whether the wives of the prophet :saws: exposed so much flesh at home. (Apart from when they were alone with him, that is).
I know some girls like that, they justified that by saying that it's only sisters so they can wear "whatever" they want! Sadly many of them deal lightly with this issue....may Allah guide them.

As for the prophet's wives dressing, I remember reading something about the awrah of woman in front of another woman, I will try to find that article it was written by some good scholars and I am sure they have their own true sources to depend on from sunnah on how woman should dress in front of other women.

cat eyes
03-28-2010, 04:01 PM
:sl:i once went to a sisters home.. she was a new sister i had met at the mosque so she had invited me to her home well when she was breastfeeding her baby she literally stuck out her whole tit in front of me. i was a little shocked i just put my hand over my eyes. i agree that there should be modesty in front of females also and i also believe its common sense. it dosent mean that you can be naked in front of another sister. :wa:

paradise88
03-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Sorry cats eyes but u made me laugh lol im so childish n giggle at that word, I think we have to be modest infront of women these days cos they are the same as men, 'lesbian' is becoming common in 'muslim' people

cat eyes
03-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Sorry cats eyes but u made me laugh lol im so childish n giggle at that word, I think we have to be modest infront of women these days cos they are the same as men, 'lesbian' is becoming common in 'muslim' people
true sister people have perverted minds you do not know what they are thinking and what there intentions really are.

Esther462
03-28-2010, 07:06 PM
When I'm at home (I live on my own) I wear what I want but when I have female friends round, I put a long dress on. When I'm with my family, I wear hijab (it's a little complicated to explain). When I'm round my muslim friends, I wear Islamic dress and hijab, as there are usealy men around but when they are not there, I take my hijab off.

Hamza Asadullah
03-28-2010, 07:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Esther462
When I'm at home (I live on my own) I wear what I want but when I have female friends round, I put a long dress on. When I'm with my family, I wear hijab (it's a little complicated to explain). When I'm round my muslim friends, I wear Islamic dress and hijab, as there are usealy men around but when they are not there, I take my hijab off.
:sl: Mashallah sister its a very good thing to have this level of modesty at all times.

May Allah give the ability to all brothers and sisters to show modesty at all times. Ameen

paradise88
03-28-2010, 08:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Esther462
Thats what i do, its like a good habit, i dont even feel like taking it off infront of (muslim) friends even if theyre not wearing it, i think we look good in our hijabs and i know thats not the purpose but modesty is beauty.

paradise88
03-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Oh one another thing, would that mean not wearing hijab infront of a non muslim woman would be a sin? As in like people who go gym or invite non muslims to their house?

islamirama
03-28-2010, 10:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
I've found that to be more common among arabs than SE Asians thus far...

Banu_Hashim
03-29-2010, 12:30 AM
Salamu 'Alaikum...

As Br.Hamza posted:

Al-Mardaawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “It is permissible for a man to see the face, neck, head and calf of women who are his mahrams.” (Sharh al-Muntahaa, part 3, p. 7).

I think that clears it up. Shaykh Abu Eesa Niamatullah explained that there are two types of Awrah, soft and hard awrah. The soft awrah is what should be covered completely from any non-mahram as Al-Mardaawi explained. In front of mahrams these are permissable to be shown. Hard awrah is anything else which the description does not cover and can only be seen between a husband and wife. Between a husband and wife there is no awrah.

Wa 'alaikum asalaam.

IslamicRevival
03-29-2010, 12:46 AM

.... it made me think about Hijab in the home. I know we dont have to wear it infront of brothers, father, husband etc.... BUT surely we should still dress modestly and cover ourself infront of them, I think it would be wrong to walk around in tight or revealing clothing infront of them.

In my opinion there's nothing wrong in wearing the hijab or not in front of your brother/father. At the end of the day they are your immediate family and to have to cover up is not essential

I dont think this is even an issue truth be told :)

Hamza Asadullah
03-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Oh one another thing, would that mean not wearing hijab infront of a non muslim woman would be a sin? As in like people who go gym or invite non muslims to their house?
:sl: although there are some differences of opinion the majority view from all four schools of thought is that the hijaab can be taken off infront of Muslim women but that it should NOT be taken off infront of non Muslim women. Therfore it should be kept on at the gym or when non Muslims come around to your house or anywhere where you will encounter non Muslim women.

paradise88
03-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Thank You Brother Hamza

tigerkhan
03-30-2010, 04:25 PM
once Prophet PBUH was sitting and Hazrat Usman RA came. Prophet PBUH correct His dress and make His trouser/lungi covered His leg completely as its moved from foot side a bit upward......
i hope all of us got it....we should be a in limits in dressing even boys with boys and friends or girls with sisters or friends....HAYA is a part of iman.....i think the most attractive thing for me in some person is his/her haya.

Hamza Asadullah
03-30-2010, 07:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tigerkhan
once Prophet PBUH was sitting and Hazrat Usman RA came. Prophet PBUH correct His dress and make His trouser/lungi covered His leg completely as its moved from foot side a bit upward......
i hope all of us got it....we should be a in limits in dressing even boys with boys and friends or girls with sisters or friends....HAYA is a part of iman.....i think the most attractive thing for me in some person is his/her haya.
:sl: Men should not wear shorts that are above the knees as the thigh's are Awrah.

Ahmad reported from Jurhud that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) saw a man with his thigh uncovered and he said to him: "Cover your thigh as the thigh is Awrah".

Abu Dawood and al-Daruqutny reported that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said to Ali : "Do not uncover your thigh and do not look at the thigh of a dead person or a live one".

paradise88
03-30-2010, 07:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81
:sl: although there are some differences of opinion the majority view from all four schools of thought is that the hijaab can be taken off infront of Muslim women but that it should NOT be taken off infront of non Muslim women. Therfore it should be kept on at the gym or when non Muslims come around to your house or anywhere where you will encounter non Muslim women.

What abt muslim women who aren't practising and not wearing hijabs or covering up? Wont they be the same as the non muslim women??

islamirama
03-30-2010, 07:50 PM
What abt muslim women who aren't practising and not wearing hijabs or covering up? Wont they be the same as the non muslim women??
Actually what I read on www.islamqa.com is that you can undo your hijab in front of women (even non-Muslims) provided they are not the type that take interest in women or the type that describe to others (especially non-mahrams) the details of what they see. Try searching on www.islamqa.com for more detailed explanation.

Asiyah3
03-30-2010, 07:56 PM
^How can one really know who's practising and who's not? However, there is a difference of opinion among the scholars concerning the ruling - if he's a muslim or a kaafir - on one who does not pray out of laziness. And Allah knows best.

Hamza Asadullah
03-30-2010, 10:55 PM
:sl: It is always better to take precaution. The reason is because there is always risk of fitna especially with non Muslim and non practising women so it would be better to remain covered infront of non practising Muslim women. The reason is that there may be a risk that they may describe the Muslim women to her male relatives or other males. So even though it is not obligatory it is always best to take precaution if there is even a small risk of fitna.

GuCcI
04-01-2010, 12:33 AM
I read somewhere according to Hanafi Madhab that it is not permissible for Muslim women to show hair to non-muslim for the reason that they do not understand the value and can accidently mention it to others.

And I've noticed how true it is because they can be careless sometimes because they just don't know.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!