/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite main antagonists in fiction.

Darth Ultor
03-27-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm gonna take a page out of the Nostalgia Critic's book and do a top eleven list.

11. Bowser from Mario: Classic baddie; a monster who kidnaps a princess and the hero has to go on a big adventure to save her. In most games, in the last battle, Bowser seems to go into a blind rage, and Mario outsmarts him, resulting in his defeat.

10. Voldemort from Harry Potter: I'd place him pretty low on the list, mainly because of how he turned out in the last book. In the first six books, he was one mean mother, so in control and very intimidating. In the last book, he became such an annoying wimp. He was a whiny Prima-Donna and the final battle was epic fail.

9. Ganondorf from the Legend of Zelda games: I only played Ocarina of Time, but Ganon was a great villain there. He takes over Hyrule, cleverly anticipates every move Link and Zelda make, and uses this knowledge to his advantage. But, he just couldn't hold against the Hero of Time.

8. Ultimecia from Final Fantasy VIII: An evil sorceress with a simple agenda. Instead of destroying or taking over the world, her ambition was to compress time and rule over it. You don't actually see her until the final battle, but she possesses a good sorceress, manipulates a war, nearly kills Rinoa and distorts the world. The battle against her is an epic one. Starts out with her in human form, she then summons a monster to atomize the heroes, she then possess the monster to make it even harder, and then you see her in a godly form.

7. Secretary of State Vincent Hadden from the first three Syphon Filter games: A corrupt politician who wants nothing but power and will even resort to terrorism and war to achieve it. A real nasty baddie who gets what he deserves in the end. Mikhas Ivankov from the fourth game was alright, but he was just a stereotypical terrorist and not very original. "I'll nuke Moscow, make it seem like the US was responsible, and start a war between the two countries and let them destroy each other." That type of character has been done to death.

6. Kuja from Final Fantasy IX: A melodramatic, cross-dressing villain who has everything planned out. He manipulates the most powerful country in the world to wage a war in the first two discs. Three cities are destroyed in that war. In the third disc, Kuja himself destroys the city of Alexandria. His goal is to rule over the planets of Gaia and Terra, but we learn that he, along the main protagonist are creations of a man named Garland in Terra. Zidane, the protagonist, was meant to be the permanent "Angel of Death" and Kuja was only temporary. There was a limit placed on his life. We find out after he kills Garland, who comes back as...something. A spiritual presence? So, after learning that he would soon die, Kuja decides to destroy the world After all, why should the world exist without him?

5. Sauron from Lord of the Rings: You never see him, he doesn't speak a single line, but you know that he is the most evil thing in existence. Even the all-powerful Gandalf fears him. If he wishes it, his dark presence can be felt throughout Middle-earth. Forget all the atrocities his armies caused, it's the fear factor that really stands out for me.

4. Azula from Avatar: the Last Airbender: Yes, I know Ozai is the main villain, but let's face it, Azula is much more interesting. Ozai is just a power hungry dictator. She is so evil and manipulative that you just love her. The blue fire adds more points to her. Whether she commits an act of evil out of duty or just for the laughs, it's epic.

3. Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII: This guy is badass incarnate. His ambition is to summon a meteor to destroy the world, so he can meld with the Lifestream, the world's spiritual energy, and become a god. On the way, he murders a good few thousand innocent people, including Aeris.

2. Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars: Here is a guy you just love to hate. He is a mix of several forms of villains; the corrupt politician, the evil genius, the manipulative *******, and the Dark Lord. He started the problems in the galaxy by taxing the trade routes, pissing off the Federation. That led to the whole Naboo Crisis, and step one was complete. Palpatine was elected Chancellor. To the Republic, he was Palpatine, to the Separatists, he was Darth Sidious. Once he manipulated he Separatists into attacking the Republic, the senate voted him emergency powers. Step two was complete. Now he had the authority to create an Army of the Republic and wage a war against the Separatists. After losing two apprentices, he cleverly turned Anakin over to the Dark Side. That was step three. After that he used Anakin, now Darth Vader, and the clone troopers to eliminate the Jedi and the Separatist leaders. Everything had gone according to plan for him, and Palpatine declared himself the Emperor. For over twenty years, he held absolute power over the galaxy, but he didn't bank on the success of Luke Skywalker and the Rebel Alliance. Ultimately, it never even crossed his mind that Anakin would come back into the Light Side of the Force and destroy him to save Luke.

1. Krelian from Xenogears. This is a tragic character with a very complex goal. At first, he was on the good side, serving as the top general in the resistance movement against the onslaught of the Empire of Solaris. After Mother Sophia, to whom he had an unrequited love for sacrificed herself to allow the rebels a self retreat, he snapped. He concluded that if God existed, He would never have allowed this to happen, and if God doesn't exist, he would create God with his own hands. The means he takes to achieve this are deplorable. During that time, he became the leader of Solaris in order to help the Ministry achieve their goal of "Becoming one with God". He experimented on countless innocent people, forcing them to go through painful mutations, manipulating a war with Aveh and Kislev, resurrection Deus, a "god" machine which subsequently resulted in Deus absorbing the souls of 90% of the world's population. His ultimate goal was to have the -Contact-, our main protagonist Fei Fong Wong destroy Deus so the Wave Existence, or the true "God" could be free and return to His dimension. That way, Krelian and the world's population could be one with God, and never have to suffer again. I am not doing this beautiful masterpiece of a game any justice with this review. Krelian is more of an antihero than a true villain.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Skavau
03-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Andrew Ryan from Bioshock, The Illusive Man from Mass Effect springs to mind of late.

And lol, Boaz - concerning Final Fantasy VIII, I personally watched an hour and a half obliteration of that plot. It's on ThatGuyWithTheGlasses website.

Supreme
03-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Nice thread!

My three favourite are:

Ganondorf, Legend of Zelda games. He was a theif born in the Gerudo tribe, and exclusively female tribe where a man is born every hundred years. A master swordsman, he acquired the Triforce, a relic that gives the user the power of the gods. He then imprisons the land, uses terrifying forces to keep people in their place and turns into a massive pig like boar when his evil heart gets too big for his humanity to contain!

O'brien, 1984- the Inner Party member who imprisons Winston, instigates his torture and eventually has him shot. O'Brien is a very intelligent lunatic who is a master at doublethink.

The Joker, Batman:The Dark Knight- Heath Ledger's amazing performance turned the Joker into a psycopath, interested in killed for the sheer fun of it, and nothing else (like money). Just brilliant. And completely insane.

tango92
03-27-2010, 01:51 PM
has to be vegeta from dbz

or TOM from TOM + JERRY, that cat hardly ever caught a break!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
03-27-2010, 02:17 PM
How about antagonist who becomes protagonist ?. i.e. Zuko from Avatar.

ardianto
03-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Remember Terminator (1984) ?.

Many people were disappointed when they knew Arnold Schwarzenegger became a main antagonist in this movie.

Maybe this disappointment became a reason to change his role in Terminator 2 & Terminator 3, from main antagonist into main protagonist.

Darth Ultor
03-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Nope, it's gotta be someone who is evil throughout the story. Even in the first season, he wasn't that bad. Zhao was the really evil one in the season 1. But Zuko is one of my favorite characters other than Iroh.

Zafran
03-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Joker, Liquid snake.

Life_Is_Short
03-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Squidward Tentacles from Spongebob Squarepants.

tango92
03-27-2010, 03:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
Liquid snake.
BIG BOSS owns liquid any day

Zafran
03-27-2010, 04:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
BIG BOSS owns liquid any day
as if Liquid all the way! lol.

Lynx
03-28-2010, 06:40 AM
too many to pick from !

t1000

the joker

lex luthor (comic book incarnation not the movie lex)

lavos from CT (who needs any dialogue?)

afi counts michael corleone as a villain so i'd go with that

the predator

captain vidal from pan's labrynth

Griffith from berserk (best anime/manga villain period.)

more that aren't coming to mind.

aamirsaab
03-28-2010, 01:37 PM
:sl:
This thread is officially awesome.

Skeletor from the He-man movie.

Unlike his cartoon-form were he constantly gets his ass kicked by a man in underpants, his live action portrayal was considerably more bad-ass.

He takes over castle greyskull, imprisons the Sorceress in an energy field that makes her age, hunts down He-man, captures him, tortures him (with a whip!) and then mocks him whilst he bleeds from his wounds.

Say what you will about the He-man universe, but there's no denying Skeletor in that movie was a real villain. Langnella's performance was sheer brilliance - he made Skeletor work! Defo one of my favourite antagonists in fiction.

Also, the bad guy from inglorious b*st*rds. If you haven't seen that movie, please do - for his performance alone. You won't be dissapointed.

Shout outs to Predator (I saw that movie when I was 9....!) and Sephiroth (Sqaure enix imo cannot hope to top this character, and it shows considering they use variations of him in the rest of their games ---> I'm looking at you Seymour and you Rosh!).

Anywho, I'm gonna take a shower.

Predator
03-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Albert Wesker from Resident evil . Took 10 years to kill him finally

sully
03-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Maleficent! from Sleeping Beauty. Come on bros, you gta include some evil women. Mwahahahaha!

ardianto
03-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Okay, I have a favorite antagonist from children books. But I am not sure if children in 21st century know this antagonist character, Police Constable Theopilus Goon from The Five Find Outers series by Enid Blyton.

Darth Ultor
03-28-2010, 02:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sully
Maleficent! from Sleeping Beauty. Come on bros, you gta include some evil women. Mwahahahaha!
Hey, I included Ultimecia and Azula :(. But I do have others. Miang from Xenogears and Mara Aramov from the first four Syphon Filter games.

Ramadhan
03-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Hannibal Lecter from hannibal and silence of the lamb - This guy both fascinated and terrorized me at the same time. Anton Cigurh from No Country for Old men and Ledger's The Joker are also so very completely insane, they just so fascinate. Anthony Hopkins, javier bardem and heath ledger really deserved their oscars.

Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars - for his all around evilness and for his campiness. Darth Maul for his awesome kick a** fighting scenes.

Bellatrix Lestrange from Harry Potter. oh and Severus Snape (although not exactly an antagonist).

I also agree about Azula from Avatar: The last airbender. She is unbendingly evil.

Boromir from LOTR. I think he is more interesting than unpersonal Sauron or lame Saruman. and more complex too. He redeemed himself at the end though.

Kahn from Star Trek was the ultimate villain, but I am very much intrigued by Q, an extremely power being who can be very unpredictable.

Güven
03-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Theodore Bagwell ( T-bagg) from Prison break and Sylar from Heroes. :D

جوري
03-28-2010, 05:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
Hannibal Lecter from hannibal and silence of the lamb - .
I agree with that, I love a tortured yet well educated villain.. have you seen the prequel?

it sheds lights on his peculiarities..

also professor moriarty, Sherlocke's true contender..

:w:

Amadeus85
03-28-2010, 06:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Remember Terminator (1984) ?.

Many people were disappointed when they knew Arnold Schwarzenegger became a main antagonist in this movie.

Maybe this disappointment became a reason to change his role in Terminator 2 & Terminator 3, from main antagonist into main protagonist.
I love Terminator movies, I and II, they are amazing.

My own personal favourite antagonist:

Doomsday, the murderer of Superman,

Bane, who defeated Batman.

Supreme
03-28-2010, 06:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
Theodore Bagwell ( T-bagg) from Prison break and Sylar from Heroes. :D
T-Bag was fantastic (I've yet to watch the fourth series, but he is a brilliant character).

On the subject of Prison Break, I like the character William Fitchtner (one of the best actors btw) as Agent Alexander Mahone in Prison Break. Granted, he's not much of an antagonist in series 3 (apart from where he breaks the prisoners neck in the first episode), but his character is amazing.

Muezzin
03-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Great idea for a thread!

Here's my list-me-do:

1) Darth Vader

The ultimate genre villain turned anti-hero, courtesy of the prequels, Vader scared the holy smokes out of audiences young and old, and for that he deserves the top spot. Doesn't hurt James Earl Jones' voice lends the character a suitably sinister timbre.

2) The Joker

Why so serious? The Joker is a classic, timeless villain, in print and on screen. He is also an inspired choice for Batman's nemesis - what is the polar opposite of a crimefighter who dresses as a bat? A complete lunatic who thinks he's a clown, of course!

3) The Terminator

Holy moley. Easily Arnie's best role, the Terminator was an electrifying and terrifying screen presence. The most disturbing thing wasn't that he would not stop, ever, until his target was dead - it was that so many audience members actually liked the carnage he wreaked. For getting his chrome claws so deep into his audience's psyche, this antagonist will never be forgotten.

4) T-1000

Through the magic of CGI and Robert Patrick, James Cameron and co managed to top the sheer menace of the original Terminator. The T-1000, the Porsche to the Terminator's Panzer Tank, was a hit with audiences because he was so physically different from the previous villain, yet so thrillingly relentless. And the liquid metal eye candy (well, it was pretty sweet, state-of-the-art eye candy in the 90s) helped.

5) Agent Smith

Ah, Agent Smith. Pitch-perfect casting absolutely made this character. Sure, suited Smith is a great inkblot villain for the audience to project their own hatred onto (is he simply a meddling Fed? Or a symbol of the injustice of The Man? Or is he just your garden variety butthead corporate boss?), but few can deny the effectiveness of Hugo Weaving's delivery of 'Mister Anderson!'

6) The Shredder

I don't know how high Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird were when they conceived of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but it must have taken a legendary bad trip to come up with this nightmare-fuelled ninja-samurai-spiky-object-hybrid. Sure, the 80s cartoon made him into an incompetent moron voiced by Uncle Phil, but the original comics, as well as the original live action film, presented Shredder in all his razor-throated, Vader-with-a-blackbelt glory. And he has possibly the most awesome entrance ever made.

7) Benjamin Linus

Excellent casting, combined with excellent material, does indeed a great screen villain make. Especially when that same casting and material leads to performances so powerful, the audience actually sympathises with the villain at several points, so much so the character can arguably be viewed as an anti-hero rather than a villain. One of the best villains of recent times.

8) Colonel Quarritch

The thing with Avatar is, take away the stunning 3D cinematography and ignore the state-of-the-art CGI, and you're left with a relatively weak, if epic, science-fiction fantasy film that goes through the motions of the Lost-Earthman-meets-Last-of-the-Mohicans space opera subgenre rather than attempting to break new narrative ground. But you're also left with Stephen Lang as alternately sympathetic and genocidal mercenary leader Quarritch. He's great fun to watch no matter your depth perception.

9) M Bison

As a videogame villain, Bison is pretty one-note. Yeah, he looks cool, mostly because he discards his cape before every fight, but Street Fighter II didn't exactly allow its characters to emote while they were twisting their bodies into spinning torpedos of flaming death. But Raul Julia as Bison in the otherwise terrible Street Fighter movie is an absolute joy to watch, gleefully hamming it up so far he is the simply the best part of the entire film. And if you don't agree, you obviously haven't seen this bit.

10) Sylar

Zachary Quinto loves his job. Even when the show he stars in is in dire straits, he effortlessly and tirelessly entertains his audience, combining menace, violence and humour into a charismatic villain everyone loves to watch.

11) Anton Ego

Well, this thread is about antagonists rather than villains, and Ego is at the very least antagonistic. Mixing morbid imagery (look at that face) with witty dialogue given life by brilliant voice acting, by Ratatouille's end, Anton Ego is the most sympathetically acerbic food critic who never lived.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!