/* */

View Full Version : Arabic Word: Khaleefatun

Beardo
03-27-2010, 12:36 PM
The Arabic word "Khaleefatun" or "Khaleefah"... If you add adjectives to it, would you use masculine or feminine words? For example, would I say Jameelatun or Jameelun? Please also put reasons and/or evidence why you would do whichever gender. The word Khaleefatun is feminine, but I heard you will add adjective words in the masculine form to it.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
marwen
03-27-2010, 02:29 PM
I think it's a masculine word even if it looks as a in feminine form.

the word khaleefah is derived from the word : al khalf : which means the back, the behind.
So it's a name of a position, or a post. As you know, Al khaleefa means someone who come after another one, as if it is in his behind. May be it's in a feminine form because its a name of o position. And we use with it a masculine adjective because the person who fill that post is always a male. For example, we shoul say :
- Al khalifa al abassy , and not al khalifa al abassyia.
- Al khalifa al othmany, and not al khalifa al othmanyia.

I did't see it in another context (a female as a khaleefah), though it's possible. Maybe a more learned brother or sister can give a better explanation.

*Yasmin*
03-27-2010, 05:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
The Arabic word "Khaleefatun" or "Khaleefah"... If you add adjectives to it, would you use masculine or feminine words? For example, would I say Jameelatun or Jameelun? Please also put reasons and/or evidence why you would do whichever gender. The word Khaleefatun is feminine, but I heard you will add adjective words in the masculine form to it.
the word khaleefatun is called mo2anath lafd'e المؤنث اللفظي .. yani it contains a mark for feminine which is ta2 in this case but it indicate for masculine .. we treat it as masculine words.

in arabic sometimes there is no reasons to indicate this is a masculine and this is a feminine ,it just reached us like this. it is or you know or you don't know there is no clear plan to follow.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!