/* */

PDA

View Full Version : GPS Navigation Systems

Güven
03-27-2010, 04:13 PM
:sl:

Since I get lost quite often, I thought it was about time to buy me a navigation. :hmm:

Anyone knows a good navigation system for the car, that you would recommend me?

Im thinking of buying a Tomtom (Start Europe) but I don't know. I don't want to give out too much. ( €100-130 would be good price range).

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
CosmicPathos
03-27-2010, 04:24 PM
why dont you buy Nokia 5230. You get free Ovi Maps with voice navigation, large display for a measly 70 pounds. And did you know that you can use it as a phone? :p

Dagless
03-27-2010, 04:30 PM
TomTom is the market leader so I think you'll be happy with your purchase.
I used to have a TomTom and preferred using it over my phone.

CosmicPathos
03-27-2010, 05:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
TomTom is the market leader so I think you'll be happy with your purchase.
I used to have a TomTom and preferred using it over my phone.
well, you pay higher price for that.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Dagless
03-27-2010, 05:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
why dont you buy Nokia 5230. You get free Ovi Maps with voice navigation, large display for a measly 70 pounds.
well, you pay higher price for that.
How? TomTom is £80-100. Where can you get the 5230 for £70?

CosmicPathos
03-27-2010, 05:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
How? TomTom is £80-100. Where can you get the 5230 for £70?
what sort of maps you get with TomTom? Plus TomTom does not give you free IQ routes.

From the site:

Tell me ANY Sat-nav device that has features such as IQ Routes (oh and for the record, I own a TomTom Go 920, a Go 740 Live that was sent free as a beta trial, and a Go 940 Live which is the best device TomTom make, even better than the new Go 950 Live as that does not have MP3 player etc, so I know ALL about TomTom, as a regular Beta Tester for them).

No other device has anything like IQ Routes yet, that uses actual historic data, to accurately estimate journey times. Not even top of the range, £300+ Garmins, NavMans as they were, etc, even have this just yet to the same level.

So that was just utterly DENSE, trying to throw that in as a negative... But on that very point anyway, the "Maps Improvement" option in Ovi Maps options - have a guess one of the things THAT includes/means - yes, Nokia, who own Navteq, amongst other things, being able to start recording this route timing data, in the very way TT started a few year back to get ahead of the game, so that in future even Ovi Maps CAN have this kind of routing!

Very weak GPS...? Hmm, the N97 is well known for this... but the 5800 has no issue, and with it's PHONE ability, allows for network based positioning too, to improve quick fix times, compared to none-connected proper PND sat-navs. So don't know where you get that from.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...net_a.php#comm

Dagless
03-27-2010, 09:05 PM
what sort of maps you get with TomTom? Plus TomTom does not give you free IQ routes.

From the site:

Tell me ANY Sat-nav device that has features such as IQ Routes (oh and for the record, I own a TomTom Go 920, a Go 740 Live that was sent free as a beta trial, and a Go 940 Live which is the best device TomTom make, even better than the new Go 950 Live as that does not have MP3 player etc, so I know ALL about TomTom, as a regular Beta Tester for them).

No other device has anything like IQ Routes yet, that uses actual historic data, to accurately estimate journey times. Not even top of the range, £300+ Garmins, NavMans as they were, etc, even have this just yet to the same level.

So that was just utterly DENSE, trying to throw that in as a negative... But on that very point anyway, the "Maps Improvement" option in Ovi Maps options - have a guess one of the things THAT includes/means - yes, Nokia, who own Navteq, amongst other things, being able to start recording this route timing data, in the very way TT started a few year back to get ahead of the game, so that in future even Ovi Maps CAN have this kind of routing!

Very weak GPS...? Hmm, the N97 is well known for this... but the 5800 has no issue, and with it's PHONE ability, allows for network based positioning too, to improve quick fix times, compared to none-connected proper PND sat-navs. So don't know where you get that from.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...net_a.php#comm
Thank you for the info on pretty much everything but the question I asked.
For the record the TomTom price range I quoted does indeed include iq routes (in the £100 model range).

I think the OP should go into a shop and check them all out. Usually they are set up for you to mess about on.

aadil77
03-28-2010, 12:16 AM
Don't ever use phone navigation its crap and takes years just to get a signal, you have to end up paying to use gprs to maintain a signal, just get a tomtom try gettin the new one which helps with lanes

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!