/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Kaffarah

daei_the_king
03-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Asallam Aleykom

I recently broke a promise to Allah, for which i want to repent. I know that Kaffarah is only for breaking an oath, not a vow, but at the time of making the promise, I did not know the difference. Had I known the difference, I would have made an oath because I was sincere with what I promised.

In any case, I wanted to ask a question: I know that the condition of kaffarah is clothing ten people, or feeding ten people, or freeing a slave. However, I cannot do any of these things, simply because of the practicalities (I know that offering the equivalent in cash is not allowed - according to my research).

So I have come to the decision that I will fast for three days consecutively Enshallah. However, there is something I am not sure about: Am I allowed to eat when it is dark on these three days? or must i not eat AT ALL for three days? Also, if i must not eat AT ALL, am i allowed to eat before sunrise on the first day, and after sunrise on the third?

Thank you for your help brothers/sisters

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamza Asadullah
03-28-2010, 12:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by daei_the_king
Asallam Aleykom

I recently broke a promise to Allah, for which i want to repent. I know that Kaffarah is only for breaking an oath, not a vow, but at the time of making the promise, I did not know the difference. Had I known the difference, I would have made an oath because I was sincere with what I promised.

In any case, I wanted to ask a question: I know that the condition of kaffarah is clothing ten people, or feeding ten people, or freeing a slave. However, I cannot do any of these things, simply because of the practicalities (I know that offering the equivalent in cash is not allowed - according to my research).

So I have come to the decision that I will fast for three days consecutively Enshallah. However, there is something I am not sure about: Am I allowed to eat when it is dark on these three days? or must i not eat AT ALL for three days? Also, if i must not eat AT ALL, am i allowed to eat before sunrise on the first day, and after sunrise on the third?

Thank you for your help brothers/sisters
:sl: One can only resort to fasting three days for the kaffara if unable to do any of the following:

1. Freeing a slave

2. Clothing ten poor people, giving each of them one garment or more.

3. Feeding ten poor people two meals each.

Only when incapable of observing the above can one resort to fasting three days.

You fast these three days just as you would fast in Ramadaan as in you would do Sehri at dawn and stop eating just before Fajr starts and you would break your fast(Ifaatr) at sunset when Maghrib starts. You do these fasts in three consecutive days or 3 days in a row.

And Allah knows best

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!