/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Facebook “Causes Syphilis”

islamirama
03-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Facebook “Causes Syphilis”

Date: Mar 26, 2010

A researcher has claimed Facebook is connected to a rise in syphilis as it is a hotbed of casual sex, unsurprisingly something Facebook angrily denies.

Professor Peter Kelly, a public health official in northern England, found that the Teeside region he is responsible for is the area of Britain with the highest rates of Facebook and SNS usage, and asserts that their research found a link between this usage and a jump in the cases of syphilis the area is experiencing:

“Syphilis is a devastating disease. Anyone who has unprotected sex with casual partners is at high risk.

There has been a fourfold increase in the number of syphilis cases detected with more young women being affected.

I don’t get the names of people affected, just figures, and I saw that several of the people had met sexual partners through these sites.

Social networking sites are making it easier for people to meet up for casual sex.”

Facebook scoffs at the claims:

“The assertion that Facebook is responsible for the transmission of syphilis is ridiculous.

Facebook is no more responsible for STD transmission than newspapers responsible for bad vision.”

Rather less convincingly, they claim the site is purely a wholesome family friendly one:

“As Facebook’s more than 400 million users know, our website is not a place to meet people for casual sex – it’s a place for friends, family and co-workers to connect and share.”

Facebook 'linked to rise in syphilis'

Facebook has contributed to a resurgence in the sexually-transmitted disease syphilis, a health expert has claimed.

Published: 24 Mar 2010

Case have increased fourfold in Sunderland, Durham and Teesside, the areas of Britain where Facebook is most popular.

Professor Peter Kelly, director of public health in Teesside, claimed staff had found a link between social networking sites and the spread of the bacteria, especially among young women.

He said: “Syphilis is a devastating disease. Anyone who has unprotected sex with casual partners is at high risk.

"There has been a fourfold increase in the number of syphilis cases detected with more young women being affected.

"I don't get the names of people affected, just figures, and I saw that several of the people had met sexual partners through these sites.

"Social networking sites are making it easier for people to meet up for casual sex."

In Teesside there were 30 recorded cases of syphilis last year, but the true figures are expected to be much higher.

Research has shown that young people in Sunderland, Durham and Teesside were 25 per cent more likely to log onto social networking sites than those in the rest of Britain.

A Facebook spokesman said: “The assertion that Facebook is responsible for the transmission of syphilis is ridiculous. Facebook is no more responsible for STD transmission than newspapers responsible for bad vision. Today’s reports exaggerate the comments made by the professor, and ignore the difference between correlation and causation.

"As Facebook’s more than 400 million users know, our website is not a place to meet people for casual sex – it’s a place for friends, family and co-workers to connect and share.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/facebook/7508945/Facebook-linked-to-rise-in-syphilis.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Raaina
03-28-2010, 10:21 PM
You know syphilis was once not very common until recently. Quite sad really that people's lack of common sense and urge for a bit of "fun" has caused this horrible disease to resurface.

Will they learn? I doubt it.

جوري
03-28-2010, 10:48 PM
ah syphilis the disease of kings and paupers. I think it is about time it made a come back amongst the lewd.. we haven't see any cases of obliterative endarteritis of the vaso vasorum save in text books.. this will be good for budding doctors every where!

:w:

Dagless
03-28-2010, 11:30 PM
Wouldn't you expect the whole of the UK to have a sudden increase in syphilis rather than just one or two towns? (because Facebook usage has risen for the whole country in the past few years).
Also shouldn't there be an increase in all std's? What makes syphilis special?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
03-28-2010, 11:40 PM
it is the it STD

KAding
03-29-2010, 12:02 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...is-claims.html

Seems very appropriate here ;).

ardianto
03-29-2010, 04:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
ah syphilis the disease of kings and paupers.
In Indonesia we call this disease as 'Sipilis' or 'Raja Singa' that literally means 'Lion King'.

But according to Indonesian Ulama, Sipilis is also acronym of "Secularist, Pluralist, Liberalist". A dangerous disease that threat Muslims.

Raaina
03-29-2010, 07:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
Wouldn't you expect the whole of the UK to have a sudden increase in syphilis rather than just one or two towns? (because Facebook usage has risen for the whole country in the past few years).
Also shouldn't there be an increase in all std's? What makes syphilis special?
Well it depends. When you get a sudden "outbreak" it's not over the entire UK, it starts in a small area and then spreads. But, also, it's maybe lack of awareness. The most common STD's in the uk are chlamydia and gonorrhea and there are government campaigns to create awareness for these. When was the last time you saw something about Syphilis apart from this facebook article, or when was the last time you saw an advert to get tested for it specifically?

There has been a massive increase in Chlamydia and Gonorrhea in the last few years which is why the government launched its awareness campaign.

IlyasHasib38
03-29-2010, 11:30 PM
I read about it.

Well, no wonder. MySpace has already caused suicide and child rape.
Many people waste their time on the internet in search of someone to "get laid" with; and that's not a big surprise.
They're freaks.

Dagless
03-29-2010, 11:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mystical_moon
Well it depends. When you get a sudden "outbreak" it's not over the entire UK, it starts in a small area and then spreads. But, also, it's maybe lack of awareness. The most common STD's in the uk are chlamydia and gonorrhea and there are government campaigns to create awareness for these. When was the last time you saw something about Syphilis apart from this facebook article, or when was the last time you saw an advert to get tested for it specifically?

There has been a massive increase in Chlamydia and Gonorrhea in the last few years which is why the government launched its awareness campaign.
Awareness of chlamydia and gonorrhea doesn't mean that they will lose their percentage share of yearly std's. People cannot choose which std to get. If there was a rise in syphilis then there should be a rise in all of them (that is if we assume they are only being spread through sex).

aadil77
03-29-2010, 11:50 PM
whats with all these different sexual deseases coming out all the time? you only ever hear about them when theres a surge in non muslims catching them, so you see adverts with advice telling you to get screened to see if you've got them.

islamirama
03-30-2010, 12:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
But according to Indonesian Ulama, Sipilis is also acronym of "Secularist, Pluralist, Liberalist". A dangerous disease that threat Muslims.
that's exactly what it is, a disease of the west, one that is unheard of in th east, muslim or non-muslim nation...

Justufy
03-30-2010, 12:35 AM
I dont see how you can make any correlation between facebook and syphilis, I myself am an avid facebook user and I assure you all of this is nonsense.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!