/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Breaking a mirror

darknite
03-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Hello, do muslims believe that if you break a mirror you have 7 years of bad luck? After reading up on it, it seems the lore is related to Romans and Greeks. Is there anything about this in Islam?

Thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Beardo
03-29-2010, 01:25 PM
There's no such thing as luck in Islam. Everything has a reason. The world is based on cause and effect. And on those basis, I would deem your question to be the negative; false. :) I hope that helps.

Insaanah
03-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Think about it logically. A mirror has no power to move from one place to another by itself. Neither can it break itself. In fact someone has to come along and break it. So how can it have power to give us bad "luck"? Or any power at all for that matter. It couldn't even bring itself into existence. A human had to make it.

We don't belive in superstitions in Islam. Only Allah, the One True God, with no associate whatsoever in His Divinity, is All Powerful. Only He can save us from bad fortune, and only He can put us through some hard times if He so wishes.

Made up tales such as superstition have no place in Islam.

Peace.

darknite
03-29-2010, 01:56 PM
I was reading that the mirror had something to do with your soul. When you look in to it some of it remains in there. A long time ago a muslim friend of mine was saying that mirrors are not really a bad thing but are frowned upon because it creates an image of you. I can see the two kind of linking together. Is there is nothing in the Quran about mirrors?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Alpha Dude
03-29-2010, 02:12 PM
A long time ago a muslim friend of mine was saying that mirrors are not really a bad thing but are frowned upon because it creates an image of you.
Mirrors are frowned upon? First I've heard of that. o_O

What about naturally occurring mirrors? What about when you look into a lake? I think what your friend said is just a case of Chinese whispers.

How can an object you create have something to do with your soul?

ali-imran
03-29-2010, 02:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by darknite
Hello, do muslims believe that if you break a mirror you have 7 years of bad luck? After reading up on it, it seems the lore is related to Romans and Greeks. Is there anything about this in Islam?

Thanks
No there is no such thing as superstitious belief in Islam, however Allah knows best in Him we Trust.

Thats why I do not belive in black magic:shade:

Insaanah
03-29-2010, 02:44 PM
I was reading that the mirror had something to do with your soul. When you look in to it some of it remains in there. A long time ago a muslim friend of mine was saying that mirrors are not really a bad thing but are frowned upon because it creates an image of you. I can see the two kind of linking together. Is there is nothing in the Quran about mirrors?
Mirrors themsleves are not frowned upon.

If a man sees his face in the mirror, this is not regarded as one of the kinds of image-making that are forbidden.
As for the image in a mirror, it is not permanent and it disappears when the person who is facing the mirror goes away
It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (1/673): Photography is not like the reflected image seen by one who stands in front of the mirror, because that is a fleeting image that disappears when the person moves away from the mirror

I guess the only thing that might possibly be frowned upon was if someone looked into one for too long without necessity...as that could maybe cause vanity. Allah knows best.

Peace.

piXie
03-30-2010, 09:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insane Insaan
I guess the only thing that might possibly be frowned upon was if someone looked into one for too long without necessity...as that could maybe cause vanity. Allah knows best.
yea.. I hope no one does that here, esp not the brothers.

piXie
03-30-2010, 10:03 AM
I'd advise u to Purchase and read this book: Fundamentals of Tawheed

Its a Brilliant & must read book masha' Allaah. It will explain it all and even more.

Life_Is_Short
03-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Seven years bad luck to break a mirror. The superstition is supposed to have originated in ancient times, when mirrors were considered to be tools of the gods.

Rialah
03-30-2010, 06:22 PM
I believe it is considered bad practices to have an image of yourself made, in terms of a mirror, it is an inanimate object, a sheet of glass coated with reflective mettallic oxide on the other side.

It does not have any power, it cannot do anything to you, it cannot bring you anything, the only thing it can do is what you bought it to do, show an image of what is in front of it, in fact, in order to separate the terminolgy mirror which means replica in some contexts, some people refer to it as a 'looking glass'.

In some parts of Africa, people hunting in the bush and people confronted with masquerades and who had a beleif in negative or bad spirits could be found wearing clothing that has mirrors, the idea being that if a wild animal or bad spirit is coming toward you it will see its reflection in the mirror and frighten itself away.

With reference to the starting point of this thread, without wanting to be offensive and please no offense meant, but does the person who posted this have nothing else to think of like living, praying, eating, family, social commitment, working, doing good deeds and so on to be thinking of such trivia or rather superstition of a negative type, a bit like chain mail, the type that started most of the wars we have to cope with all over the world.

Okay, writer, go round the house and break every mirror in your home and then wait for what you beleive in, Islam can't help you there; unless of course you want to find a simpler and peace oriented way of living in which case, I invite you to grasp Islam, its philosophies, its fundamentals and perhaps free yourself from the Mirror Idol.

Best of luck.

darknite
04-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Some people are saying that looking in to a mirror is not a sin as the image disappears when not looking in to it. But is it not true that once a picture has been drawn and erased then there is no harm done? I don't believe in all the folk lore either my aim was to find out what muslims believe in regards to this and it is clear they don't believe it.

To Rialah, yes I do have more to do such as eating, sleeping, studying tending to my family etc however I believe any question asked is not asked in vain. For example had I not asked this question would I have ever known what muslims believe in regards to this? probably not. Had you not stated "with no offence meant", I still would not have taken offence :)

Nokiacrazi
04-07-2010, 05:41 AM
Superstition = Rubbish.

Well, if you break this mirror and you have an accident with the shards then you could well have 7 years of bad luck :)

No, there is no concept of having bad luck after breaking a mirror or anything else.

We believe that God has Ilmehgahb (I know thats wrong word) - Knowledge of the future.
And we know that God is not comparable unto anything. Therefore to think that anything has knowledge of future is shirk.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!