/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Used to wear the jalbab

anonymous
03-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Just a quick question. The islamic dress code has a few rules such as, musn't be transparent, loose and so forth and I used to wear the jalbab and now I decided not to becuase whatever clothes a person wears as long as it adheres to the code then it is fine .. but I wanted to ask am I wrong in taking the jalbab off and wearing loose clothing, because I find that I am not doing anything wrong, however other people think I am doing a wrong act .. Id appreciate if people post words from the Qu'ran and Sunnah and not personal opinions. Jazakhallah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
cat eyes
03-30-2010, 08:08 PM
:sl:theres no where written from hadiths or holy quran that you are doing a major sin however the clothes which you have chosen to wear now must be modest and not tight and flashy and colorful that might attract the opposite sex

your hijab should still cover your bosom. you will find alot of arab girls here wearing hijab but skinny tight jeans and colorful tops with there hijab but they just look utterly ridiculious and not representing islam in a proper way so that is a sin so be careful of falling in to this trap.

But just want to warn you it can be very difficult and frustrating trying to find decent suitable clothing out here in the west with the demand from non muslims wanting more trendy fashionable clothes the stores are mostly full of these clothes this is why women prefer the jilbab. its just easy really

OurIslamic
03-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Listen to sister cat eyes :D.

Also...what's the difference between a Jalbab, Hijab, and Niqab?!? (I know the difference between a Hijab and Niqab).

anonymous
03-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Jazakhallah for reading my thread and replying. I completely understanding what you are saying sis, they are very good points; and I make sure I dress moderatly, covering my figure and chest, I wear the hijab the proper way. Also, I have seen many sisters' who wear the jalbab the proper way however, I have also seen sisters wearing the jalbab which reveals the figure and is very colourful which attracts the opposite sex therefore negating the purpose of wearing the jalbab, the same can be said for the hijab like you say sis I have also seen many sisters' wearing the hijab covering their hair but not their chests and wearing clothes like skinny jeans which again defeats the purpose of wearing the hijab. We are all walking and talking advertisments of Islam .. Another point is that what is better wearing a tight jalbab or alternative loose clothing .. A clean heart and pure intentions are two imperative aspects in attaining a stronger imaan.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Donia
03-30-2010, 08:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by OurIslamic
Listen to sister cat eyes :D.

Also...what's the difference between a Jalbab, Hijab, and Niqab?!? (I know the difference between a Hijab and Niqab).
:sl:

The jilbab is the long, loose-fitting dress that sisters wear.

Insaanah
03-30-2010, 09:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
Just a quick question. The islamic dress code has a few rules such as, musn't be transparent, loose and so forth and I used to wear the jalbab and now I decided not to becuase whatever clothes a person wears as long as it adheres to the code then it is fine .. but I wanted to ask am I wrong in taking the jalbab off and wearing loose clothing, because I find that I am not doing anything wrong, however other people think I am doing a wrong act .. Id appreciate if people post words from the Qu'ran and Sunnah and not personal opinions. Jazakhallah

'O Prophet! Tell thy wives and thy daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them. That will be better, that so they may be recognized and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful..' (al-Qur'an 33:59) The Arabic word here used in the Qur'an is jalaabeeb which is plural of jilbaab. So the command for jilbaab is in the Qur'an. This is an outer garment that covers all your clothes.

The exception is: "As for women past child-bearing, who have no hope of marriage, it is no sin for them if they discard their (outer) clothing in such a way as not to show adornment. But to refrain is better for them. Allah is Hearer, Knower" (al-Qur'an 24:60)

Another point is that what is better wearing a tight jalbab or alternative loose clothing
Don't restrict yourself to those two choices. There is a third, easier and more correct choice, which is a loose jilbaab.

And Allah knows best.

Hope that clarifies it for you sister.

innocent
03-31-2010, 11:34 AM
I dont think there is anything wrong with it as long as you are following the code and not attracting attention.
I personally prefer to wear the jilbab. That way I dont have the hassle of deciding what to wear today and what to wear tomorrow. It just makes it so much easier. :)

piXie
03-31-2010, 12:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insane Insaan
Don't restrict yourself to those two choices. There is a third, easier and more correct choice, which is a loose jilbaab.
agreed. :thumbs_up

This is how the shaytaan tries to convince many of us, if only we can recognize him and destroy him before he slowly destroys us. The closer we stick to Islam, the safer and more protected we are. The more honored and respected we are. Do not allow him to alter your religion and reasoning in justifying yourself in leaving the Jilbaab. Do not look at other sisters who do not wear it. For you are a sister who wears the jilbaab, now for you to copy those who do not wear it would not be good nor suitable. And it would be even more unsuitable if you are from a family who's female members observe the jilbaab.

Do not allow the shaytaan to slowly convince u to replace the Jilbaab with loose clothing like he has convinced others before you... for then he will slowly convince u to replace the loose clothing with colourful clothing.. then when u get used to that, he will talk u into replacing it with slightly tighter clothing.. and the list goes on. Through it he will try to take away your respect, your honour, your identity and dignity. Also he will try to take away ur time as he hassles u with what to wear. Stay on guard, and recognize his strategies. May Allaah protect you from the shaytaan, and may Allaah protect us from the shaytaan.

Keep the Jilbaab, for it is not intelligence to replace something which is best with something which is second best. May Allaah give u the confidence and strength of character to wear it, and may He exalt you through it. May He inspire other sisters through you to wear the Jilbaab. Aameen.

piXie
03-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Id appreciate if people post words from the Qu'ran and Sunnah and not personal opinions.
I appreciate that. This is a Hadith by Bukhari and Muslim [from an-nawai's 40]

The Prophet :arabic5: said:

"That which is lawful is plain and that which is unlawful is plain and between the two of them are doubtful matters about which not many people know. Thus he who avoids doubtful matters clears himself in regard to his religion and honour, but he who falls into doubtful matters falls into that which is unlawful, like the shepherd who pastures around a sanctuary, all but grazing therein. Truly, every king has a sanctuary, and truly Allaah's sanctuary is His prohibitions. Truly, in the body there is a morsel of flesh which, if it be whole, all the body is whole and which, if it be diseased, all of it is diseased. Truly, it is the heart."

The more closely we stick to Islam and the more careful we are, the less opportunity we give to other people to lift fingers at us.

Another hadith in Bukhari and Muslim where the Prophet :arabic5: told Abdullah bin Amr bin 'Aas:

"Oh Abdullah! Do not be like so-and-so who used to be awake in the night for prayer and then gave it up."

This hadith is proof that a person should not leave of a good deed once they start it.

innocent
03-31-2010, 02:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by innocent
I dont think there is anything wrong with it as long as you are following the code and not attracting attention.
I personally prefer to wear the jilbab. That way I dont have the hassle of deciding what to wear today and what to wear tomorrow. It just makes it so much easier. :)
Sorry I just realised you said not personal opinions.

Hamza Asadullah
03-31-2010, 02:59 PM
:sl: my sister.

In the Quran, Surah al-Ahzab ayah 59 (33:59) says:

Ya ayyuha an-Nabiyy qul li azwajika wa banatika wa nisa al-mu'minin yudnina alayhinna min jalabib hinna; dhalika adna an yu'rafna fa laa yu'dhayn. Wa kana Allahu Ghafur Rahim

Trans: O Prophet! Say to your wives and your daughters and the women of the faithful to draw their JALABIB close around them; that is better that they will be recognized and not annoyed. And God is ever Forgiving, Gentle.

The word "jalabib" is the plural of "jilbab". Clearly, this ayah states a command for Muslim women to wear a garment which Allah SWT has called "jilbab".

Beyond this, the hadiths record how the sahabiyat (RA) went about obeying Surah al-Ahzab ayah 59 when it was revealed:

Sunan Abu Dawud Book 32 #4090. Narrated Umm Salama, Umm al-Mu'minin: When the verse, "That they should draw their jalabib close around them" was revealed, the women of Ansar came out as if they had crows over their heads by wearing jalabib.

In case there is any confusion about how the Muslim sister is supposed to go about obeying Surah al-Ahzab ayah 59, this hadith shows that the correct way to obey it is to wear the garment called "jilbab",since that is what the sahabiyat (RA) did.

Note that they did not hesitate or delay or make excuses: when they were told by Allah SWT to wear the garment called "jilbab", they did, right away.

And there is more even than this. Some of the women remained in seclusion and never went out so that they did not own the garment called "jilbab".

The hadiths record that the Prophet (Pbuh) commanded the women to come out for the Eid gathering, and what he said about the issue of the garment called "jilbab":

Sahih Bukhari Book 8 #347. Narrated Umm Atiyya: We were ordered to bring out our menstruating women and screened women to the religious gatherings and invocation of the Muslims on the two Eid festivals. These menstruating women were to keep away from the musalla. A woman asked, "O Messenger of Allah! What about one who does not have a jilbab?". He said, "Let her borrow the jilbab of her companion".

My dear Sisters, surely the meaning of this is clear enough to you. If it were halal for a sister to go outdoors without the garment called "jilbab", why didn't the Prophet (Pbuh) allow the women to do this? But instead, he told them that they must find the garment called "jilbab" to wear, even if they had to borrow one from a friend.

The rule is plain: it is a disobedience of Allah SWT and of His messenger for a woman to go outdoors if she is not wearing the garment called "jilbab". Period. I really do not see any other meaning from Surah al-Ahzab ayah 59 or from these hadiths. Do you?

PART TWO: What do the scholars say about the garment called "jilbab"?

I have provided above evidence from the Quran and Sunna that it is fard for the Muslim sister to wear the garment called "jilbab" when she goes out from her house. This is not just my opinion but the opinion of most of the scholars (ulama).

The next question is: what type of garment is the jilbab? There are two opinions among the scholars on this matter:

1) That it is a loose outergarment like a coat or cloak.

2) That it is a sheet covering the entire body except for the eyes.

Notice that neither of these opinions mentions "conservative clothing" or "loose clothing" nor does either opinion say "shalwar kameez are OK".

and Allah knows best in all matters

Source:http://www.muhajabah.com/jilbab.htm#sharia

Also read: http://www.witness-pioneer.org/vil/B...s%20'Awrah

cat eyes
03-31-2010, 04:06 PM
sis you are right wearing a jilbab dose not make you modest how alot of sisters are wearing them you can clearly see there figure and even some wear jilbabs with many different designs i believe you that the clothes you are wearing now are not going against islam in anyway if they are not attracting any non mahram. I also believe the sister has made her decision and it dose not matter what others say you cannot force some one to wear something they dont want to because this is not islam non muslims want to see us walking around with happy faces and not depressed ones because it says an awful lot

GuCcI
04-01-2010, 12:30 AM
jilbab is great for so many reasons, one of which is that it saves you from standing in front of the closet for only Allah knows how long trying to figure out what to wear, and what goes with what...

anonymous
04-01-2010, 07:56 PM
I appreciate all your responses and for reading my thread. I understand what you are all saying however the clothes that I am wearing now abide by the islamic dress code and that is the point that should be taken into consideration, I just do not like some muslim sisters and brothers, not referring to anyone here, who looks at me and jugdes me for what I wear; my intentions, heart and salat is what's siginificant here.

Hamza Asadullah
04-01-2010, 10:47 PM
I appreciate all your responses and for reading my thread. I understand what you are all saying however the clothes that I am wearing now abide by the islamic dress code and that is the point that should be taken into consideration, I just do not like some muslim sisters and brothers, not referring to anyone here, who looks at me and jugdes me for what I wear; my intentions, heart and salat is what's siginificant here.

Your clothing must be loose enough that your body shape and definition is not shown at all and you must not wear clothes which hug against your bodily definitions.

You must also not wear bright colours which will attract attention. As the whole purpose of a womans dress when she enters the outside world is to make her as inconspicuous as possible and not to attract lustful gazes.

Infront of your mahrams and Muslim friends you can wear whatever colours you like but in the outside world one has to be much more careful not to wear bright colours which scream "Look at me".

No one is saying that you must look ugly and dark when you are in the outside world but you must take care that you do not fall into the trap of shaythan who will gradually try and get you to become more and more liberal in dress and wear all kinds of colours and accessories.

That is why jilbaab is by far the best option and we have provided Qur'anic evidance of this.

To conclude:

Around her husband, a woman can dress how she wants, because there is no restriction on what a husband can see or touch

Around children, other women, and her close male relatives, a woman must cover her "private parts" which is the region from her upper chest to her knees

Around non-related men, a woman must cover everything but her face and her hands. This includes a headscarf that covers her hair, ears, neck, and upper chest; clothes that cover her to throat, wrist and ankle and that obscure her figure; and socks and shoes to cover her feet

Outdoors, a woman must wear a long coat or similar outergarment that covers her fully

and Allah knows best in all matters

:wa:

Insaanah
04-04-2010, 09:04 AM
the clothes that I am wearing now abide by the islamic dress code

Don't forget, the Islamic dress code for women when outside of their homes, as stated in the Qur'an, includes wearing a jilbaab.

I just do not like some muslim sisters and brothers, not referring to anyone here, who looks at me and jugdes me for what I wear; my intentions, heart and salat is what's siginificant here.
Also remember that all the commands Allah gave us in the Qur'an are significant.

And Allah knows best.

anonymous
04-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Thank you for all your responses, may Allah (swt) reward you all abundantly. Not all muslim women around the world wear the jilbab does this mean they are committing sin, as long at the clothing are loose, not flashy and are not transparent then that is acceptable

islamirama
04-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Jailbab is more of an arab's over coat for the ladies. Each nation and culture has their own clothing and customs. So long as they adhere to the principles of Islam and the criteria of hijab (proper full body covering) than they are good, and do not need to wear the jailbab.

6 criterias of the hijab

Media Tags are no longer supported

Insaanah
04-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Thank you for all your responses, may Allah (swt) reward you all abundantly. Not all muslim women around the world wear the jilbab does this mean they are committing sin, as long at the clothing are loose, not flashy and are not transparent then that is acceptable

Nowhere in the Qur'an, or hadeeth, does it say that conservative clothing when you are outside, without jilbaab is ok, nor have the great scholars of Islam said this. The command in the Qur'an is for an outer covering called a jilbaab, which covers the clothes you're wearing. The ONLY exception given in the Qur'an as mentioned in my first post, is those women who are past child bearing age and have no hope of marriage, but even then they've been told that its better if they refrain from removing it.

The jilbaab can be in the form of a coat or cloak, or a very large sheet or shawl that covers all the clothes down to the feet. And that will vary according to local custom. In the Arab world and the Western world, it tends to be a long coat covering all the clothes, and in Asia and Africa, it tends to be a large sheet that women wear, wide and long enough to cover all their clothes. Although there may be other local words for it, if it covers the clothes, it counts as jilbaab.

I understand where you're coming from, as many Muslim women wear very conservative clothes and a large scarf, and that seems to be quite normal now. But our sources for the deen always have to be Qur'an and sunnah, and if you look at the Qur'an, it is Allah who is actually telling the Prophet :saws: to tell women to wear the jilbaab. It's not an option.

Also, look at this hadeeth:

Al-Bukhaari (324) and Muslim (890) narrated that Umm ‘Atiyyah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded us to bring them (women) out on (Eid) al-Fitr and (Eid) al-Adha, and to bring out adolescent girls, menstruating women and virgins, but the menstruating women were to stay away from the prayer, but were to witness goodness and the gathering of the Muslims. I said: “O Messenger of Allaah, what if one of us does not have a jilbaab?” He said: “Let her sister lend her a jilbab.” (Saheeh al-Bukhari, 324)

So Rasoolullah :saws: did not consider jilbaab an option. If you didn't have one, then you had to ask for one. If it's not an option at a time and place where every woman should come out of her house, then how can it be an option at any other time and place? Taking all the Qur'anic and sunnah evidences, the scholars consider jilbaab (the outer covering over the clothing) a fardh part of hijaab, and accordingly, leaving it would be a sin.

And Allah knows best and may He forgive me if I have said anything wrong.

Hamza Asadullah
04-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb,

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

Allah Most High says:

'O Prophet! Tell your wives and daughters and believing women that they should cast their outer garments over their persons. That is most convenient that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Most Forgiving and Most Merciful'. (Surah al-Ahzab, 59).

The above verse is clear in determining that it is obligatory (fard) upon a woman to cover herself with a jilbab. This leaves us with a question, what is a jilbab?

It is stated in Lisan al-Arab:

'Jilbab, plural of Jalabib: an outer garment or a cloak with it a woman covers her head and chest. And it is said: It is a long cloak that covers a woman completely'. (Ibn Manzur, Lisan al-Arab, 2/317).

Sayyiduna Ibn Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) states:

'Jilbab is long cloak that covers a woman from her head to her feet'. (Ruh al-Ma'ani, 22/88).

The above and other interpretations of Jilbab are clear that a jilbab is the outer garment that women must wear when emerging in front of strangers. This garment must be wide, loose, and modest and covers the body completely.

After the revelation of this verse, many female Companions (Allah be pleased with them all) used to emerge outside their homes with complete reticence as though birds were sitting on their heads. They used to cover themselves with long black cloaks. (See: Ruh al-Ma'ani, 22/89).

Therefore, a woman must cover her self with a loose and modest cloak when emerging in front of strangers. This may be a tradition veil (burqa) or some other garment.

And Allah knows best

Sheikh Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari,

Darul Ifta, Leicester, UK

Therefore my sister it is clear that there is overwhelming evidance from Qur'an and hadith that wearing an outer garment to cover body (jilbab) is fard.

You came here asking your question because you did not find peace in your heart in wearing what you would call conservative clothes instead of an outergarment but now we have provided for you conclusive evidance and proof from the words of Allah and his Rasul (Pbuh) that it is fard upon you to wear an outer garment to cover your body when you are out and in front of non Mahrams. The rest is now upto you.

Allah knows best in all matters

cat eyes
04-06-2010, 03:01 PM
sister i did a little research on this for you and according to the scholars and earlier scholars, jilbab is a must and to support this they gave hadith references and quran the only thing people are in dispute about is the actual meaning of jilbab which Allah is referring to which i strongly believe its a cloak that you wear from head until your feet... so i hope inshaAllah you will change your mind and Allah should forgive me for speaking without knowledge and listening to the whispers of shayytan.

happy
04-08-2010, 02:56 PM
[QUOTE=anonymous;1312395]I appreciate all your responses and for reading my thread. I understand what you are all saying however the clothes that I am wearing now abide by the islamic dress code and that is the point that should be taken into consideration, I just do not like some muslim sisters and brothers, not referring to anyone here, who looks at me and jugdes me for what I wear; my intentions, heart and salat is what's siginificant here.

Sister as long as you follow the conditions of the hijab then that should be sufficient and it doesn't matter what other people thinks of you as long as your doing what you feel is right and as long as you follow Allah and his deen.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!