/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslims in the world.

marwen
04-01-2010, 12:29 AM
I took the following map from wikipedia (hope it's accurate). It shows the distribution of muslims all over the world, the muslims population per country is represented by a color :
White ==> a low population (near to zero)
Blue ==> a high population.
see the muslim population per country with numbers here (from wikipedia too)

Althow the Islam is the world's second religion (after Christianity) in term of number of adherents , But It's amazing how big the number of muslims is, and how they are spread all over the world, I wonder if there is a country without muslims.

But the question is : what effect do all these muslims have in the world and can they stand out to practice freely their religion and to defend their rights.

What is really missing to see this "geographic" and "demographic" success turn to a cultural and civilisational success ?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
tetsujin
04-01-2010, 04:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
I took the following map from wikipedia (hope it's accurate). It shows the distribution of muslims all over the world, the muslims population per country is represented by a color :
White ==> a low population (near to zero)
Blue ==> a high population.
see the muslim population per country with numbers

Althow the Islam is the world's second religion (after Christianity) in term of number of adherents , But It's amazing how big the number of muslims is, and how they are spread all over the world, I wonder if there is a country without muslims.

But the question is : what effect do all these muslims have in the world and can they stand out to practice freely their religion and to defend their rights.

What is really missing to see this "geographic" and "demographic" success turn to a cultural and civilisational success ?
Blue seems to be Shiite and green Sunni.

Depending on how you count, according to Wikipedia, 19-29 sovereign states are not on the list a containing Muslims.

All the best,

Faysal

ardianto
04-01-2010, 06:55 AM
A light green small country in South America is Suriname. Muslims in that country mainly are Javanese who came to Suriname in 19th century. They are around 16% of Suriname people.

Hmmm, maybe some of them have family ties with me. :D

InfiniteMercy
04-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Mash'Allah its always great to see that there are so many brothers and sisters around the world, and that the message of Islam was spread thru the unbelievable determination of the early Muslims. Today the Muslim world has countless obstacles to overcome, but we certainly have the right platform and foundation to determine for ourselves a brighter future.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Supreme
04-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Islam and Christianity are the only two global religions. Hinduism, the next largest religion, has a significant majority of its adherents in India, and therefore cannot be considered global.

Here in the UK, I think the number of Muslims stands at 3%. Although in London it's 10%.

- Qatada -
04-01-2010, 11:26 PM
:salamext:

Narrated Thawban: The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: The people will soon summon one another to attack you as people when eating invite others to share their dish.

Someone asked: Will that be because of our small numbers at that time?

He replied: No, you will be numerous at that time: but you will be scum and rubbish like that carried down by a torrent, and Allah will take fear of you from the breasts of your enemy and last enervation into your hearts.

Someone asked: What is wahn (enervation). Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him):

He replied: Love of the world and dislike of death.

Abu Dawud Book 37, Number 4284.

http://www.islamicboard.com/discover-islam/42701-prophecies.html#post791360

tetsujin
04-02-2010, 12:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -
and Allah will take fear of you from the breasts of your enemy
Who is the enemy, and why are they afraid?

All the best,

Faysal

north_malaysian
04-02-2010, 07:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Islam and Christianity are the only two global religions.
How about Baha'i Faith? I think that it's global too

north_malaysian
04-02-2010, 07:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
A light green small country in South America is Suriname. Muslims in that country mainly are Javanese who came to Suriname in 19th century. They are around 16% of Suriname people.

Hmmm, maybe some of them have family ties with me. :D
years ago when i was a kid, Suriname sent "silat" martial-artists to a competition in Malaysia... I was like ... silat in Suriname? in South America? then I read about Javanese living there...

there are Javanese in New Caledonia too right?

- Qatada -
04-02-2010, 09:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tetsujin

All the best,

Faysal

Those who oppose the Muslims.

Supreme
04-02-2010, 10:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
How about Baha'i Faith? I think that it's global too
No. It can't be considered global like Islam or Christianity. It has less than six million adherents, a great deal of those found in only one country (India).

Getoffmyback
04-02-2010, 10:51 AM
The numbers are based on governments statistics . But not all muslims are perfect believers i mean some are watching life and they don't want to get involved in anything. So maybe this will cut 50% of the group's efficiency and you can add the lack of unity. Same goes for christian and maybe with a higher percentage . So when we say 1.5 billion how much true believers we take take out of this number?

marwen
04-02-2010, 10:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tetsujin

All the best,

Faysal
The enemy Who attacks muslims, and doesn't let them practice their religion freely, and who tries to desecrate their sanctities.

NON-MUSLIMS ARE NOT ENEMIES, unless they attack muslims.

ardianto
04-02-2010, 10:58 AM
No. It can't be considered global like Islam or Christianity. It has less than six million adherents, a great deal of those found in only one country (India).
Baha'i people are only six millions, but they are exist in more than 200 countries.

Supreme
04-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Baha'i people are only six millions, but they are exist in more than 200 countries.
Yes, I know! But over a third of them can only be found in one region, and the number of Bahais in other countries are only a very, very small fraction. Every religion has adherents in every part of the world, but to be global, a religion has to have millions of adherents in many different regions. Plus, they need to have influenced the world sigfnificantly. Islam and Christianity are the only two who meet that criteria.

marwen
04-02-2010, 11:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Getoffmyback
The numbers are based on governments statistics . But not all muslims are perfect believers i mean some are watching life and they don't want to get involved in anything. So maybe this will cut 50% of the group's efficiency and you can add the lack of unity. Same goes for christian and maybe with a higher percentage . So when we say 1.5 billion how much true believers we take take out of this number?
I would probably agree with you, But each one who has an islamic belief : "there is just one God : Allah, and Muhammed is his messenger and prophet", is considered a muslim, whether he is a good muslim or not.

ardianto
04-02-2010, 11:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
years ago when i was a kid, Suriname sent "silat" martial-artists to a competition in Malaysia... I was like ... silat in Suriname? in South America? then I read about Javanese living there...

there are Javanese in New Caledonia too right?
Right. But Javanese in New Caledonia are not in significant numbers. If I am not now, around 5000 persons.

Javanese came to Suriname at 19th century with ships. According to their tradition, all Javanese in one ship are consider as a big family although there was no family relationship before they migrate to Suriname. And marriage between two descendants of people in one ship is forbidden.

Getoffmyback
04-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Both religions are only growing in numbers but not in faith. in the end its a secular environment or a secular envisioned future what is on the horizon . What about atheists they are growing too lol they are like 1.1 billion! It seems they will rule the world:)

Supreme
04-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Both religions are only growing in numbers but not in faith. in the end its a secular environment or a secular envisioned future what is on the horizon . What about atheists they are growing too lol they are like 1.1 billion! It seems they will rule the world:)
There aren't over a billion atheists in the world...

ardianto
04-02-2010, 01:10 PM
There aren't over a billion atheists in the world...
Maybe getoffmyback assumes if all Chinese are atheists.

marwen
04-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Aren't they ? I know a lot of chinese are buddhist, but I also think many chinese are atheist.

Supreme
04-02-2010, 01:36 PM
The Chinese government controls and represses religion. The largest religion in China is Buddhism, although Buddhism could technically be classified as an atheist religion.

Getoffmyback
04-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Secular , nonreligious , agnostics , atheists . Are 1.1 billion . Google it

marwen
04-02-2010, 02:01 PM
I still have that question, (non-muslims may also help), why this huge number of muslims has no effect today ?: they have no good relationship with others, they don't represent Islam the best way, they have no progress in science or culture. what's really missing ?

Is there a problem in muslims themselves, or there is also a problem with the countries/govmts they live in.

- Qatada -
04-02-2010, 03:00 PM
It's not really surprising that there are over a billion atheists, because the general people will follow the religion of the ruler. Atheism is taught as the norms in society, and that's why the masses follow it. The same would apply if a nation was ruled by Christians, and even Muslims alike.

The real amazing thing is that the amount of Muslim converts is on the increase - during a time when they are being opposed the most. This is a sign of Islam's miraculousness throughout history.

I still have that question, (non-muslims may also help), why this huge number of muslims has no effect today ?: they have no good relationship with others, they don't represent Islam the best way, they have no progress in science or culture. what's really missing ?

Is there a problem in muslims themselves, or there is also a problem with the countries/govmts they live in.
It's a problem of the rulers and the people. A cycle. When people are bad, the oppressive rulers are a punishment. When the people are good, Allah will provide a way out from hardship.

ardianto
04-02-2010, 03:11 PM
they have no good relationship with others,
Majority of Muslims have good relationship with non-Muslims. At least in Indonesia.
they don't represent Islam the best way,
Secularism. Yes, that's a problem for Muslims.
they have no progress in science or culture.
Not true. Muslims in Indonesia and Malaysia have progress in science, but world doesn't know (yet) about it.

marwen
04-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Not true. Muslims in Indonesia and Malaysia have progress in science, but world doesn't know (yet) about it.
Yes I'm sure that some muslims are the best scientists in the world, but the problem is that they work as separate individuals, or separate communities, and they are not giving so much to the Umma, like the early muslim scientists did.

InfiniteMercy
04-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Assalamu alaiykum
With regards to why there are many muslims around the world but they have little influence in todays world: well if u look at expat muslim families there are many that have managed to have a good standard of living, usually much better than their fellow countrymen in the countries that they left..muslims know that having a good education is important and work hard to get a good job, etc, i personally dont see any major problems in the average individual muslim family...but if u look at the big picture the problem is geopolitics...so u will find individual muslims excelling in science and cultural achievemnts in foreign countries, but muslims in their own countries struggle to get their daily bread..the muslim world experienced colonization from empires for a long time and ever since we have never gained true independence, politically, socially and economically.
Salam

ardianto
04-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Yes I'm sure that some muslims are the best scientists in the world, but the problem is that they work as separate individuals, or separate communities, and they are not giving so much to the Umma, like the early muslim scientists did.
They do not work individual but in group with non-Muslims. Although they give biggest contribution in an invention, this invention would known as group's invention.

Scientists are human. They must eat and cannot spend their time and their money for research while let themselves and their families dying in hungry. Many of them facing two options, work in a field that not related to their majors, or join with non-Muslims and they can work as scientist in their majors.

The problem for scientists in third world countries is research fund. Is not easy to get it. Sometime, or often, the last hope in looking for research fund are US and European govt and institutions. US govt know this problem, last year they make non-commercial ad in Indonesian newspapers for offered research fund.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!