/* */

PDA

View Full Version : You define what is arrogance

ali-imran
04-01-2010, 10:35 AM
dear borthers and sisters....

please kindly state what is your definition of arrogance...in behaviour and persons.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Life_Is_Short
04-01-2010, 10:42 AM
When you have superiority complex.

bint begum
04-01-2010, 11:06 AM
:sl:

Knowingly rejecting the truth.

ali-imran
04-01-2010, 12:23 PM
no this is dis belief....I am talking about arrogant behaviour

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Salahudeen
04-01-2010, 12:34 PM
To look down upon people and reject the truth when it comes to you.

ali-imran
04-01-2010, 12:36 PM
what about muslim community leaders...in my opinion they are the most arrogant..esp against thier own community....and

ali-imran
04-01-2010, 12:36 PM
what about muslim community leaders...in my opinion they are the most arrogant..esp against thier own community....and big egos to match

Darth Ultor
04-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Looking down on others, refusing to see things from other points of view, thinking you're better than everyone around you, always thinking you're right.

Danah
04-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Looking down to others, think that you are the best in the world and everyone else is lower than you, to think that you are always the one who hold the truth and the others are always ignorance

CosmicPathos
04-01-2010, 02:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
Looking down to others, think that you are the best in the world and everyone else is lower than you, to think that you are always the one who hold the truth and the others are always ignorance
The definitions given above for arrogance are somewhat inaccurate and pretty simplistic.

So when a Muslim says that La Ilaha illalah is the ONLY truth in the religion and all other religions are man-made and false, isnt he being an arrogant loon by your very definitions?

I think arrogance has nothing to do with how you feel about yourself. It is actually a very good behavior to think that you possess certain skills that other's dont and you feel happy about your achievements.

For me, arrogance is when you start worshipping your intellect and make your intellect a god who is justified to do what he wants.

Salahudeen
04-01-2010, 02:31 PM
First, what is arrogance?

The prophet (S.A.W.) defined it for us in an authentic hadith reported by Imams Muslim and At-Tirmithi, "One will not enter Paradise, if one has an atom’s weight of arrogance in his/her heart." a man then asked, "One may love his clothes to look good and his shoes to look good?!" The prophet replied, "Allah is beautiful and loves beauty, arrogance is: rejecting the truth and looking down on people."

The different degrees and types of arrogance: The most evil kind of arrogance is rejection of the truth and not following it. In this context, many verses were revealed to scold arrogance and the arrogant people. Examples are: On the Day of Judgment, it is said to the arrogant people in surat Ghafer, (Verse 76), what can be translated as, "Enter the gates of

Hell to abide therein, and (indeed) what an evil abode of the arrogant!"

source: http://islam1.org/khutub/Arrogance_Prohibited.htm

CosmicPathos
04-01-2010, 02:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
First, what is arrogance?

The prophet (S.A.W.) defined it for us in an authentic hadith reported by Imams Muslim and At-Tirmithi, "One will not enter Paradise, if one has an atom’s weight of arrogance in his/her heart." a man then asked, "One may love his clothes to look good and his shoes to look good?!" The prophet replied, "Allah is beautiful and loves beauty, arrogance is: rejecting the truth and looking down on people."

The different degrees and types of arrogance: The most evil kind of arrogance is rejection of the truth and not following it. In this context, many verses were revealed to scold arrogance and the arrogant people. Examples are: On the Day of Judgment, it is said to the arrogant people in surat Ghafer, (Verse 76), what can be translated as, "Enter the gates of

Hell to abide therein, and (indeed) what an evil abode of the arrogant!"

source: http://islam1.org/khutub/Arrogance_Prohibited.htm
Interesting. But what does "looking down upon people" actually mean? Did not Muslims look down upon Abu Lahab and hated him and his acts because he did not accept Islam etc?

Al-Indunisiy
04-01-2010, 02:46 PM
An extreme sense of pride in one's self.

Danah
04-01-2010, 09:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
The definitions given above for arrogance are somewhat inaccurate and pretty simplistic.

So when a Muslim says that La Ilaha illalah is the ONLY truth in the religion and all other religions are man-made and false, isnt he being an arrogant loon by your very definitions?
Actually I didn't think of it in that way you mentioned above.....As for saying La Ilaha Illa Allah....its not only me who think its true......there are some more 1.5 Billions who think the same so its not a personal view one hold but more like a universal one. To be honest I don't see how we can implement faith as an example here :hmm:

I think arrogance has nothing to do with how you feel about yourself. It is actually a very good behavior to think that you possess certain skills that other's dont and you feel happy about your achievements.
True, but in some way we don't look down upon others who don't have the same skills....like if I am good in computer skills, I should not keep boasting about this in front of everyone, at the same time I have to be grateful that I am given such skills

-Elle-
04-02-2010, 12:47 AM
In my personal opinion, if speaking of arrogance as a personality trait;
arrogance is excessive pride in yourself.

It's a lack of modesty and humbleness.

It's also when you emphasize and make simple things so grand in order to impress others. Any good which you have done does not go unnoticed; you have to receive attention for it.

Darth Ultor
04-02-2010, 02:04 AM
Another definition of arrogance is the following:

Male: Barack Obama
Female: Paris Hilton

M.I.A.
04-11-2010, 08:47 PM
arrogance is using the things you have, the knowlege you have aquired, the skills you have learned without regard for others.
we all do this.
sometimes you have to think in whos eyes is it arrogant?

haters gonna hate...
but why they hatin?

anyway if we are using these things wrong then god will be the judge of us.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!