/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Orwellian totaliterianism about to become a reality in India

Karl
04-02-2010, 02:59 AM
Is this for real or an April fools joke?

http://www.hindu.com/2010/04/02/stor...0250640100.htm

NEW DELHI:India on Thursday launched “Census 2011,'' the biggest-ever census attempted in the history of mankind enumerating the country's 1.2 billion population and classifying usual residents according to their gender, religion, occupation and education.

The massive exercise, to be spread over next 11 months, will mark a milestone as the first-ever National Population Register (NPR) will also be prepared in which all persons aged over 15 years will be photographed and fingerprinted to create a biometric national database. With this India will probably become the first democratic nation in the world which would have got its population fingerprinted in a year from now.

As the first citizen of the country, President Pratibha Devisingh Patil was the first person to be listed in the decennial exercise. She appealed to her compatriots to follow her example “for the good of the nation.''

“My appeal to all brothers and sisters of the country is to wholeheartedly take part in the gigantic national tasks of Census and preparation of the first ever National Population Register. It is important for the nation as well as you,'' she said after a delegation of the Census officials visited Rashtrapati Bhavan and took down her information.

The delegation included Registrar General and Census Commissioner C. Chandramouli and Deputy Director General, National Population Register, S.K. Chakraborty. Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram, who was also present, said: “An exercise of this kind has not been attempted anywhere else in the world. This exercise must succeed and will succeed. We will leave no stone unturned to visit every village, every habitation in the country.''

The 15th National Census exercise, since 1872, will see over 25 lakh officials capturing the socio-economic-cultural profile of its citizens. It will cost around Rs. 2,209 crore while the expenditure on NPR will be Rs. 3,539.24 crore. The exercise will also consume more than 11 million tonnes of paper.

The Vice-President M. Hamid Ansari was the next one to be listed by the Census officials. Mr. Ansari said the decennial census operation was a remarkable exercise and the first ever NPR was a “unique initiative.''

During the massive exercise, the enumerators for the first time will collect information like ownership of mobile phones, computers, internet, having treated or untreated drinking water facility and usage of banking services. They will also seek additional information for the creation of NPR. The government has already said that no information will be collected on castes as no caste-based census has ever been conducted in independent India.

HIGH-PROFILE LAUNCH:As the first citizen of India, President Pratibha Patil is being enumerated for Census 2011 and National Population Register by officials at the Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi on Thursday.

Mr. Chandramouli said the first phase, called the House listing and Housing Census, will be conducted between this April and July.

The second phase, called the Population Enumeration phase, will be conducted simultaneously all over the country from February 9 to 28, 2011, and the entire exercise would be completed by March 5, 2011.

All 640 districts, 5,767 tehsils, 7,742 towns and more than six lakh villages will be covered.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
04-04-2010, 01:12 PM
What is relation between this census and George Orwell' novel ?.

czgibson
04-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Good question. I think the results of the census could be quite interesting.

Peace

Supreme
04-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Well, Orwell's novels certainly make for a more interesting read...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Karl
04-04-2010, 11:33 PM
You have to be joking for throwing that question at me, right?To begin with it is COMPULSORY, not voluntary. That's Orwellian behaviour at the extreme. Having every citizen forcibly taken photos of and finger printed is how a CRIMINAL would be treated in the West!! And you wanna tell me this is not BIG BROTHER? I find it strange that a place like India would do this because this sort of Big Brother behaviour is about as extraneously un-Indian as you can get. I could have expected it in the UK or the US, but INDIA??? Would have been one of the last places in the world I would have expected. Unreal!

Then again Indians like to ape the UK so perhaps this is just a gesture to say "Hey our UK masters, we can even outdo YOU at bureaucracy and fascism and wasting huge sums of tax payers money and tearing down another jungle to manufacture the bureaucratic papers!".

The Census actually came from the Roman Empire. It was used for power and control and was highly opposed by many people, considered as a satanic oppression. More than often it has been used for evil purposes throughout history. I suspect that it might be used as a way of identifying all Christians, Muslims and Sikhs so that Delhi can round them all up for extermination. We'll see...

ardianto
04-05-2010, 03:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karl
You have to be joking for throwing that question at me, right?
I never threw jokes to someone who has no sense of humor.
To begin with it is COMPULSORY, not voluntary.
The right word is obligatory.
That's Orwellian behaviour at the extreme. Having every citizen forcibly taken photos of and finger printed is how a CRIMINAL would be treated in the West!!
My govt has my identity, my photo and my finger print, and I am not a criminal. I don't see anything wrong with this. But if (this is if, okay) I do a crime and arrested by police, police will take may photo and finger print. This is not only in the west.
And you wanna tell me this is not BIG BROTHER? I find it strange that a place like India would do this because this sort of Big Brother behaviour is about as extraneously un-Indian as you can get. I could have expected it in the UK or the US, but INDIA??? Would have been one of the last places in the world I would have expected. Unreal!
I don't know who is big brother that you mean.
Then again Indians like to ape the UK so perhaps this is just a gesture to say "Hey our UK masters, we can even outdo YOU at bureaucracy and fascism and wasting huge sums of tax payers money and tearing down another jungle to manufacture the bureaucratic papers!".
Maybe Indians are 'half British' because I saw in Indian movie "Three Idiots", they speak in mixed language, Hindi and English.
The Census actually came from the Roman Empire.
I knew it from my book. So, why ?. Scholars in my place say, not every matter that came from west and non-Muslims are bad, but also not always good. And they say, take only the good and leave everything that bad. Census is not only in India, also in Indonesia. This is very important for develop country and its people to a better life.
It was used for power and control and was highly opposed by many people, considered as a satanic oppression. More than often it has been used for evil purposes throughout history. I suspect that it might be used as a way of identifying all Christians, Muslims and Sikhs so that Delhi can round them all up for extermination. We'll see...
Brother, I see you are "Su'udzon". I don't know what it su'udzon in English, but this is from Arabic language that means "Thinking if someone else must be has bad intention and will do something bad". Scholars in my place say, su'udzon is close to making fitnah.

Wa'salamualaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh.

Your brother in Islam.

Ardianto.

'Abd Al-Maajid
04-05-2010, 04:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karl
Is this for real or an April fools joke?

http://www.hindu.com/2010/04/02/stor...0250640100.htm

NEW DELHI:India on Thursday launched “Census 2011,'' the biggest-ever census attempted in the history of mankind enumerating the country's 1.2 billion population and classifying usual residents according to their gender, religion, occupation and education.....
.....All 640 districts, 5,767 tehsils, 7,742 towns and more than six lakh villages will be covered.
This is REALimsadimsadimsad

awais
04-05-2010, 07:59 AM
Why so paranoid over census? Census is a good thing, wallahi. Good attitude Ardianto :D

ardianto
04-05-2010, 10:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by awais
Why so paranoid over census? Census is a good thing, wallahi. Good attitude Ardianto :D
Not always good. Census was causing a misunderstanding between Malaysians and Indonesians.

Basically, Malaysian and Indonesian languages are same. But there are some different words, or same words with different meaning.
One of same word with different meaning is "Banci". In Malaysian language it's means census, but in Indonesian language it's means transsexual.

So, just imagine what was happened when Malaysia govt launched national census and their officers came to Indonesian community then introduced themselves as "Banci officers".

;D ;D ;D

KAding
04-05-2010, 10:20 AM
I agree with Karl here. What is the purpose of photographing and fingerprinting every single citizen? It seems draconian to me.

Al-Indunisiy
04-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Not always good. Census was causing a misunderstanding between Malaysians and Indonesians.

Basically, Malaysian and Indonesian languages are same. But there are some different words, or same words with different meaning.
One of same word with different meaning is "Banci". In Malaysian language it's means census, but in Indonesian language it's means transsexual.

So, just imagine what was happened when Malaysia govt launched national census and their officers came to Indonesian community then introduced themselves as "Banci officers".

;D ;D ;D
:sl:

Is this one of those cheesy Indonesian jokes about Malaysian Malay? The likes of:
Rumah Sakit Korban Lelaki = Rumah Sakit Bersalin
Laskar Basah Kuyup = Angkatan Laut
Kementrian Tuduh-Menuduh = Kementrian Hukum dan HAM
Kementrian Semak Belukar = Kementrian Kehutanan

MuslimAgorist
04-07-2010, 09:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by awais
If it's a good thing than surely people would participate voluntarily. How many things in your life that are good for you need to be imposed on your by force?

The real problem is not that a census is talking place, but that those who disagree with you, and feel the the census is bad, myself included, are not free to not participate.

ardianto
04-08-2010, 02:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
I agree with Karl here. What is the purpose of photographing and fingerprinting every single citizen? It seems draconian to me.
Hmm, hmm, hmm. I just realized this census is different.

In my country, census officers didn't take photo and fingerprint. Photos and fingerprints are taken only when people make ID cards or driving licenses.

awais
04-09-2010, 10:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimAgorist
If it's a good thing than surely people would participate voluntarily. How many things in your life that are good for you need to be imposed on your by force?

The real problem is not that a census is talking place, but that those who disagree with you, and feel the the census is bad, myself included, are not free to not participate.
A census is used to gather information and get an accurate picture of the populace, your pariticipation (willing or unwilling) is needed, otherwise it would just be a poll, and not a census. The census helps the government govern the people, it should know who it needs to serve, how many people there are, where they're living, how they make their income, etc.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!