/* */

PDA

View Full Version : University students

Life_Is_Short
04-04-2010, 06:41 PM
:sl:

How much time do you spend on work outside university?

How much time (in general) do you think one should spend if he/she wants a first class?

I just want a rough idea. :hmm:

Jazak'Allah Kharyan.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Beardo
04-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Work as in homework or actual work?

In terms of homework, maybe a couple hours. Exam times, obviously a little longer. It also depends on what subject it is. Like for example, in English you need to take out time to do the essays. It varies.

Life_Is_Short
04-04-2010, 06:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
Work as in homework or actual work?
Self study. You don't get homework at university as far as i know. You are required to be a lot more independant.

CosmicPathos
04-04-2010, 07:07 PM
what is first class?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
zakirs
04-04-2010, 07:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
:sl:

How much time do you spend on work outside university?

How much time (in general) do you think one should spend if he/she wants a first class?

I just want a rough idea. :hmm:

Jazak'Allah Kharyan.
waleikum salaam
It depends on you actually .. i rarely spend time.. i only do when i have specific assigments or exams or projects ( i must say i am not ideal since i can say i am just above average) .But some of my friends spend upto 5-6 hrs extra per week. It all depends. Remember , grades in univ don't depend on how much time u spend but how much you like/understand the subject :)

CosmicPathos
04-04-2010, 07:15 PM
In the context of North American universities, full-time students (5 credits in one academic year) should not be spending more than 10hrs/week at work if they want to have A+ grades. Again, A+ grading differs from one uni to other, some take 90% or above as A+ while others take 85% and above as A+ but in the end, work has effect on one's gpa.

paradise88
04-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Some people i knw regardless what time they start uni they study 9 till 5, obviously they go to lessons but in the free time they study so if they start at 11 they will eb at uni at 9 studying.

I think you have to chose how much u study, its a personal thing but set urself like a complusory amount of time that u should study. Do 2 or 3 hours everyday or spread it out through the day if it is too much :)

Life_Is_Short
04-04-2010, 10:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
what is first class?
In British undergraduate degree classification, first-class is the highest level of degree awarded and is taken to indicate high academic achievement and ability.

CosmicPathos
04-04-2010, 10:45 PM
In British undergraduate degree classification, first-class is the highest level of degree awarded and is taken to indicate high academic achievement and ability.
but that could be anything? Is there any quantitative aspect to it?

unknown_JJ
04-06-2010, 01:00 PM
i achieved a first class last summer, (i admit i didnt have much of a social life), i used to work 20 hours a week (but it was related to my course I gues) but every spare time I had, I used to revise through my class notes from the starting date to the current date, so when it came to exam tym i didnt really have to revise as much, bcoz it was already in my head! anyways am not saying studying 24/7 is good, but i guess you need to be dedicated to put that extra, I gues it also depends on the course too....

GuCcI
04-06-2010, 04:29 PM
I don't self study until it's time for exams .. as for readings throughout the semester, in the last 4 years, i did not do a single reading before class. My husband on the other hand is the type to do all the readings on time and self studies a lot on his own. People work well in different ways I guess.

Life_Is_Short
04-06-2010, 08:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
but that could be anything? Is there any quantitative aspect to it?
70% or above but some universities like Oxford & Cambridge require a mark as high as 85% for a first class degree.

Life_Is_Short
05-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Is it true that to get a third class honours you just need 40+ ? How easy is that?

aadil77
05-20-2010, 10:46 PM
unfortunately so far this year I've spent 0 hours on out of uni study, I won't be able to get away with it next year

Abdul Wahid
05-20-2010, 10:53 PM
^^
I know what you mean bro. I done exactly the same thing. I take it too easy and am lazy.

My friends are dedicated and spend hours upon hours studying.

unknown_JJ
05-21-2010, 12:30 PM
theres no point doing a degree if ur aiming for a third class

mamur
05-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Salaamu Alaykum,

Can i ask you something. I need this book :
The Unfamiliar Abode: Islamic Law in the United States and Britain (Kathleen M. Moore)

Google books: http://books.google.nl/books?id=w2r2...page&q&f=false

Oxford Scholarship online: http://www.oxfordscholarship.com/oso...87810/toc.html

Maybe someone can login from the university library. I need especially chapter 4 for my study because it is not available in the Netherlands.
Many thanks !!

WasSalaam.

M..x
06-04-2010, 01:25 PM
I haven't done my seminar work for the last 2 years LOL. No lie, I havent turned up majority of sem A & B for both years. First year I tried being good but it didn't last.
I need to get myself in gear for 3rd year though as my whole degree relies on my performance for that year. Insha'Allah I'll fix up by them. =)

Abu Zainab
06-04-2010, 01:48 PM
From experience I can tell you that if you attend all your classes and paid full attention to your prof and did all your homeworks yourself then you have a high chance of getting at least a CC (average - 70% in most cases). If you want to top that just 1-2 hours of regular studying everyday will get you the grades you want.

aamirsaab
06-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Is it true that to get a third class honours you just need 40+ ? How easy is that?
3rd class: Stupidly easy. Barely have to do any work or thinking. Copy and paste job off the net.

2nd class bit tougher, need to use your brain. And the library. Net will only get you so far.

1st class: need to express your own point of view on the topic (so it's best to actually have some interest in the topic at hand) and back it up with appropriate referencing, in addition to addressing the actual question. You won't be able to do it the night before hand in either.

As for hours spent studying, it depends on the subject. But, I do recommend you take an actual interest in the subject you are doing. Don't treat it like a GCSE where in most cases you are forced to do it. A degree is something you personally should be interested in. You probably won't be interested in every bit of what you learn, but you should at least make the effort to try (at the very least it will help you in your coursework marks). And deffo make use of your uni library - that's 10 times more valuable than google.

Candle
06-04-2010, 03:37 PM
I only work during summer, not the academic year. But starting fall, I'll be in school all year. No more slacking... :(
I study roughly 3 hours per lecture, not including extra time dedicated to essays, tutorials, mid-terms and final exams. Treat school like a job, and you'll get good marks. Currently I have a 4.0 GPA :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!