/* */

PDA

View Full Version : People owing you money

anonymous
04-05-2010, 12:10 AM
I know that in Islam it is very bad to owe someone money and not pay it back, but I don't know the proper rulings of it - anyone have information on it?

My specific problem is my friend is known for not paying back anyone - he either takes ages to pay it back or never does, and he is actually rich while the rest of us barely have jobs, so it does affect us financially and emotionally, especially when we see him buying lots of expensive luxury goods for himself and holidays. Reminding him doesn't make a difference, he forgets again and leaves you feeling bad for asking. Once I kept asking and he eventually paid me back whilst making me feel awful - it's not worth doing that ever again, i was undignified for me. The other brothers have all experienced the same thing.

Recently he owes me money again and I knew I wasn't getting it ever now as he's forgotten all about it. I got him to get me something and the money is the same amount and i've not paid him back yet.

Now i'm wondering does that cancel out his debt and make it okay for me not to pay him? I know it doesn't remove his sin though as he still hasn't paid me intentionally.
Or should I still pay him and let him deal with wether he pays me back or not - I know he won't.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Lonely Gal
04-05-2010, 09:30 AM
what i'd suggest is that u pay him back as ur kinda do the same thing in return. In future just refuse to give him any money esp as if ur struggling to support urself.
The way i see it, is the money that u gave him was some time back, you have managed to cope without it and therefore if u get it back its a bonus, but if you dont then its not a great issue as ur not expecting it back anyway.
In future just be honest and tell him you cant give him money cos he takes ages to give it back or you just dont have it.

Hamza Asadullah
04-06-2010, 03:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
I know that in Islam it is very bad to owe someone money and not pay it back, but I don't know the proper rulings of it - anyone have information on it?

My specific problem is my friend is known for not paying back anyone - he either takes ages to pay it back or never does, and he is actually rich while the rest of us barely have jobs, so it does affect us financially and emotionally, especially when we see him buying lots of expensive luxury goods for himself and holidays. Reminding him doesn't make a difference, he forgets again and leaves you feeling bad for asking. Once I kept asking and he eventually paid me back whilst making me feel awful - it's not worth doing that ever again, i was undignified for me. The other brothers have all experienced the same thing.

Recently he owes me money again and I knew I wasn't getting it ever now as he's forgotten all about it. I got him to get me something and the money is the same amount and i've not paid him back yet.

Now i'm wondering does that cancel out his debt and make it okay for me not to pay him? I know it doesn't remove his sin though as he still hasn't paid me intentionally.
Or should I still pay him and let him deal with wether he pays me back or not - I know he won't.
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, jazakallah khayr for sharing this with us. Firstly i would suggest you have a serious word with him about the fact that he never bothers paying anyone back. You must remind him to fear Allah and that Allah does NOT forgive debts that have'nt been paid back unless the person forgives for not being paid back.

It seems to me he has quite an overbearing personality so do not let him make you feel bad about rebuking him about his unwillingness to pay back debts that he owes. You should stand firm and not let him overtake whatever you say to him about his unwillingness to pay back debts. He needs to realise that he is in the wrong and that he should fear Allah and do his best to pay back money he owes people otherwise he will be accountable on the day of judgement.

Debt repayment is VERY important in Islam. The Prophet Muhammad (peace upon him) said, “the best among you are those best in paying off debt” (reported by Muslim) and “procrastination (delay) in repaying debts by a wealthy person is injustice” (reported by Bukhari).

Another hadith states “Whoever contracts a debt intending to repay it, Allah will repay it on his behalf, and whoever contracts a debt intending to waste it, Allah will bring him to ruin” (reported by Bukhari).

This hadith emphasises that those contracting debt with the intention to repay will be granted the means to do so. However, at the same time it warns against acquiring debt that one does not have the means or intention to repay.

I would suggest that you ask him to accept that you will not pay him back for that thing that he bought you because it is the same amount of money that he owes you and get him to agree with this and if he does'nt agree then he is being very unreasonable indeed. If he persists in not agreeing then pay him and cut off all contact with him immediatley as he is a miser.

Even if he does agree I would urge you to not hang around with people like that as you will never gain anything good from him bu they will do more harm than good. He is not what you call a good friend. A good friend would never treat anyone like that for he seems like a very selfish person who does not care what others think and does not care to pay back those he owes money to.

The company of such people is poison; just even sitting and talking with them will lead one to commit sins. Just as a person who sits for a long time with a perfume seller begins to smell nice, and a person who sits by a gutter cleaner begins to smell awful, similarly a person who spends time in the company of the wicked eventually gets affected badly by them.

Rather, we should seek out pious friends who fear Allah taala and who have the qualities of humility, charity, compassion, modesty and knowledge. If we sit with them we will always benefit and they will be a means for us to get closer to Allah taala!

The Prophet (saws) said, “The case of the good companion and the bad companion is like that of the seller of musk and the blower of the bellows (iron-smith). As for the seller of musk, he will either give you some of the musk, or you will purchase some from him, or at least you will come away having experienced its good smell. Whereas the blower of the bellows will either burn your clothing, or at least you will come away having experienced its repugnant smell.” [Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim]

Remember: “All friends will be enemies of one another on that Day (Day of Judgment) except those of the virtuous.” (al-Qur’an 43:67)

So after you have settled this matter then leave your friendship with him and stick with Allah fearing brothers who will benefit you in this world and the next and will not treat you the way people like that treat you. Out of your good nature you let him borrow money and for him to make excuses or to make you feel bad about asking for your money back (Which you have every right to ask for) then that is surely the sign of a person who is not your true friend at all.

Maybe once he loses his friends he will realise his mistakes and change for the better but remember that you are who your friends are and whether you like it or not your friends behaviour, attitude, actions etc will eventually rub off on you so therefore you must leave this so called friendship at once and hang make a close contact with the Masjid and stick to pious brothers who are working for the hereafter and who will help you in your journey to Jannah rather than someone who will jeapordise that journey.

and Allah knows best in all matters

Donia
04-07-2010, 03:57 AM
:sl:

I would advise you to forgive the brother for the debt that he owes you.
He has demonstrated in the past that he is not reliable when it comes to repaying and we all agree that this is wrong and not Islamic.
We all have our weaknesses and we are not perfect. Maybe this is his. To protect yourself from becoming a victim to it again, just refuse to lend him anymore money for any reason.

I would suggest paying back what you owe him. No need to take on an attribute that you find annoying in others.

If you want to talk to him about it, then go ahead. I don't think it will hurt anything but I think that he already is aware of the issue especially since you have had to ask him repeatedly to pay you back in prior instances.

I hope that helped some insha'Allah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nokiacrazi
04-07-2010, 05:43 AM
Two wrongs do not make a right, therefore forgive him, pay him. Surely Allah will guide him, help you etc.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!