/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Am I wrong to question my faith?

abdulali
04-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Sometimes I question my faith and wonder what I have been taught and researched is true. My faith is weakend when I see what humans do to each other in the name of religion.

When I pray I feel that I'm going through the motions, praying for the sake of praying without thought.
However, when I am relaxed and pray I feel my faith is stronger or listen to a certain people on Islamic TV who challenge my thoughts.

I observe and hear people in mosque I challenge their views in my mind. A lot of people echo what other people like to hear but from observations on how they carry themselves and live their lives they seem to contradict themselves (I'm guilty of this as well) a bit like politicians.

Or am I being too critical of myself and others because we are compromising Islam a little ways when we live out our daily lives and therefore undermining our faith?

:hmm:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Alpha Dude
04-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Asalamu alaykum,

It is good that you contemplate your actions rather than want to blindly follow what your parent's followed (I assume you were born muslim).

However, once you have decisive confirmation that Allah exists and Muhammad Sallalahu Alaihe Salam was his Prophet and Messenger, you have to submit to the message as best you can and realise that any form of questioning that arises at that point in your mind is waswas (whispers of the shaytan). You can't keep questioning if you have at one point realised Islam is the truth.

Due to the fact that you have even a small recognition that Islam is true at present, I think the best advice I can give you is to sincerely and humbly beg Allah for guidance in all matters. Be totally sincere - it's the key.

Allah has said to the effect that when we walk to Allah, he comes running to us. So if we are sincere and ask guidance from the depths of our hearts and show keenness to want to develop a relationship with and win the pleasure of Allah, then InshaAllah he will provide us with guidance.

None of us is a perfect follower of Islam and so you shouldn't look to the actions of other people and judge Islam based on it.

Nokiacrazi
04-07-2010, 12:10 AM
As the brother mentioned above, once the truth is delivered to you, whether you accept it or not, any doubts or disbelief that arise is purely from the devil wishing to make you go astray. For the satan it is a bigger feat to cause someone who has heard the message to go astray, then to make someone who has not heard the message to do evil.

Best thing to do is to just ask the creator (Allah) for guidance, and seek refuge from the satan. Best dua you can make in those terms is read Surah An-Nas (Chapter 114).

Allah knows best.

abdulali
04-07-2010, 07:41 AM
Thank you for your advice. It is intention that matters and sincerety. I will keep praying to allah and hope my iman gets stronger.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Amanda
04-07-2010, 09:44 AM
As a new revert, I am often questioning aspects of Islam, so that I can understand them better... I think that is okay, so long as you aren't feeling doubt about the main pillars and such. Personally I find that questioning aspects that maybe aren't really clearly defined helps me to strengthen my faith, if that makes sense. Sometimes when I think deeper I find that my initial ideas were wrong, but sometimes I find my inquiry confirmed (I don't really know how to say that more clearly)... For example my husband and I were talking about smoking shortly after I reverted... I felt that it would be haram (personal opinion, not judging others), because you aren't allowed to do anything that harms ourselves or others, and we know now that smoking, especially second hand smoke, is very harmful. A few months later, Indonesia issued a fatwa saying that smoking in public places was haram! It made me feel good about my understanding of Islam, if that makes sense... So I think questioning like that can be really beneficial and help to confirm your faith.

glo
04-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Generally speaking, I think questioning your own faith and beliefs is very important.
How else can you grow in faith and understanding, if you don't allow yourself to work through the difficulties, questions and doubt?

I often ask questions about my faith and religion; I listen to the answers and views of others; I ponder what I have learned and then I pray and pray and pray again about it ... and always trust that God will keep me moving in the right direction!

غزالی
04-08-2010, 06:53 AM
Masha Allah, Very Good Advices and viewpoints by Brother Alpha Dude and sister Amanda
Jazak Allah For sharing..

cat eyes
04-08-2010, 01:44 PM
knowledge is the key without knowledge one can go astray easily. i will give u example of that if one reads verse from the holy quran and he has made his own interpretation without even going to the tafsir of this surah he has made his own mind up about it. this can make one go astray. shayytan whispers to him and starts giving him ideas of what it could mean now he has strayed from the path because he took no time to study his religion

M.I.A.
04-09-2010, 11:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Asalamu alaykum,

However, once you have decisive confirmation that Allah exists and Muhammad Sallalahu Alaihe Salam was his Prophet and Messenger, you have to submit to the message as best you can and realise that any form of questioning that arises at that point in your mind is waswas (whispers of the shaytan). You can't keep questioning if you have at one point realised Islam is the truth.

Due to the fact that you have even a small recognition that Islam is true at present, I think the best advice I can give you is to sincerely and humbly beg Allah for guidance in all matters. Be totally sincere - it's the key.
even though i know the religion as truth i still question, what other way is there for guidance. just dont expect it to be an easy path and as the whispers are at you so are they at every other.
this world is nothing but deception and misguidance, so dont take everything at face value.

the people are nothing but misguidance and competition.

no wonder you feel the way you do OP.

distressed
04-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Ive questioned mine b4, but cos i dont know much about it. like above, i dont think its wrong, as long as we learn the answers to the questions we have and realise that islam is the right path. Its hard to get misled in 2days world. I dont pray, simply cos like abdulali has sed, i go thru the motions but my mind wanders off and i think its wrong to pray if your just doing it for the sake of doing something good.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!