/* */

PDA

View Full Version : HOURS of work(on COMPUTER) LOST! HELP:(!..

-Elle-
04-07-2010, 12:55 AM
:sl:

I am posting this for a friend; is there ANY way to fix an autocad 2004 drawing file when the message "Drawing File Not Valid" appears???

She spent hours working on it (I have the same project, it's really endless!) and she saved it as a 2004 file, when she came to open it in autocad 2008, it gave this message. You can open 2004 files in newer generations; how can the file be corrupted all of a sudden? We are quite experienced with CAD so I doubt its a rookie mistake..

ANY help appreciated!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Vito
04-07-2010, 01:26 AM
Here is something else that might be useful.

-Try changing the name of the .bak file (if you have one) to .dwg. They say it opens up the most recently saved file incase anything happens to the original.

-Try opening it up in the original version it was created from and see what happens.

* First off, how much time have you really lost? Check the time on your last BAK file (use the DRAWINGRECOVERY command if you have 2006). Consider how long it might take to recover your corrupt drawing vs. what it would take to just start with the BAK file.
* Try opening the drawing using another CAD program that can read DWG files, such as one of the IntelliCAD varieties [Cadopia | Autodsys | Bricscad | Complete List] or Microstation.
* Several ideas are documented in the Autodesk KB - http://support.autodesk.com/Getdoc.asp?ID=TS67106
Be sure and check the links at the bottom of this page also since there are other drawing recovery techniques not noted on this main page.
* Here is some good information regarding drawing corruption
* Standalone DWG Audit Tool (v2000 and earlier)
* An older article, with some good info.
* As a last resort, send your DWG directly to Autodesk. See Looking for corrupted drawings for more information.

-Elle-
04-07-2010, 02:00 AM
JazakAllah kheir for all the information I just called her; the bak. file isn't created until you actually open the drawing on you're computer, and since she was never able to open it, it was never created. I clicked on the link you just sent and it says " The Page You Were Looking for Was Not Found". Sub7anAllah nothing seems to work today...the file is really too huge and way too many hours we're spent working on it, we had weeks to work on it, and the deadline is in three days..(it was supposed to be today but we were all given an extension)..

Restarting it is really going to be insane, inshAllah we will get it fixed I'll keep on looking for solutions.....

Thanks again

Vito
04-07-2010, 02:18 AM
Ah ok then disregard what I just sent you. So she created the file on a different computer and then transferred that file onto her computer?

I'll try to keep looking around. InshaAllah an autocad pro will find his or her way here.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
04-10-2010, 07:41 AM
:sl:
try asking on an IT forum/googling =)

GuCcI
04-10-2010, 09:37 PM
I have no idea, but the same thing happened to me once, I wrote a whole paper it took hours to write one time and then just lost it, tried doing everything to get it back and then ended up rewriting the whole thing. it was sooo depressing.

-Elle-
04-10-2010, 10:54 PM
AlhamdullilAh the problem was fixed!! :) We we're able to recover the file by use the .bak file which only appeared when we opened the an older version (2004) of the program..
thanks anyway!:)

GuCcI
04-11-2010, 03:06 AM
yaay alhamdulillah - smart! :)

now I wonder if that would have made a difference for me.... *thinking*

-Elle-
04-11-2010, 06:19 AM
lol!
I shouldn't get the credit, I was panicking and stressed out like crazy.-kai- was a big help.
AlhamdulillAh all turned out well, I'm sorry to hear about your paper, we've learned our lesson; allllways create backup files :D

Salam

GuCcI
04-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Yup very true, although.. this is really bad... I made the SAME mistake on another assignment exactly a week later. It was sooo weird, I actually cried lol :p

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!