/* */

PDA

View Full Version : discussion's good manners.

marwen
04-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Discussion is one of the greatest and most civilised forms of communication. Discussion lets us resolve conflicts without violence, and helps find the truth about many complicated issues. It's also a good solution to eliminate some prejudices and misconceptions, let us express ourselves in a calm, and it enlarges our knowledge.

But to get the biggest benefit of discussion, we should learn some discussion good manners and etiquettes.

One important thing in a discussion is the mood we start the discussion with, I mean in what spirit you start to discuss the other side. So what do you think is the best mood to start a discussion with :

1) start with respect and love to the other side : I respect his opinion and I love him/her because he's/she's my brother/sister in humanity.

2) start with a neutral/objective feeling : just want to discuss a scientific/logical fact, the other side is just the idea/opinion not the person.

3) I hate the other side/person : his opinion is just irritating me, I want just to show he's wrong just to get a revenge for myself, no matter what the truth is.

just pick the mood that you think is the most useful to get a good and beneficial discussion.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zafran
04-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Salaam

Number 1 easily.

peace

Alpha Dude
04-07-2010, 03:37 PM
1) start with respect and love to the other side : I respect his opinion and I love him/her because he's/she's my brother/sister in humanity.

2) start with a neutral/objective feeling : just want to discuss a scientific/logical fact, the other side is just the idea/opinion not the person.
I would say a mixture of love/respect and objectivity.

There needs to be wisdom though. Sometimes our compassion might cloud our judgement and make us mince our words toward people when in fact being nice would be ultimately detrimental. So we can't always think of the people. Objectivity as well as harshness is a necessity at times.

You need to use strong words with certain people so that they might take heed of what you say. This doesn't mean you disrespect or hate them or have any negative feeling. A harsh tone should only be thought of as a tool.

glo
04-07-2010, 03:44 PM
I think to be able to engage in discussion you need to be willing to hear what the other party has to say, and to respect their beliefs/feelings/values as they are - even if you personally do not agree with them.

In order to discuss you must first be able to hear and listen. Many people launch into a discussion, full of their own thoughts and opinions, and keen to get their points across; when instead they should first listen to the other person and then respond accordingly.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!