/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Sister Aminah

zakirs
04-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Salaam brothers & Sisters,

It was yesterday that i came to know about passing away of Sister Aminah Assilmi. ( may Allah grant her Jannah). I did not knew much about her but remembered reading about her on the "International Union of
Muslim Women" website. Then as i read about her I felt very sad and felt ashamed of us as a community. Read the following post on IUMW website.

As some people are aware, Sister Aminah Assilmi has been homeless for the last several months. This came
about when the house she was living in was sold and she could not find a place to rent that was within her budget.
She didn't have the deposit, the credit references, or a good support network that could help her out.
In an effort to save money, Aminah became one more of the "serial campers" that move from campground to
campground trying to stretch the modest amount of money they have to fit from one end of the month to the other.
By living in a tent, cutting down on travel and food expenses, and relying on the kindness of strangers who often
share her plight, she has managed to survive.

By now you are probably asking how this famous speaker, this advocate of Islam and of women, the President of
the International Union of Muslim Women, can get into this position.
It is simple, many of our brothers and sisters are just one paycheck away from disaster.

If a flood takes out their
apartment or a factory closes down, there is no way for them to start over or move away. Look around your own
community and see if you can identify the student who is so poor that they wear broken glasses or the working
poor family who can't afford the work needed to get their car fixed. It is the same with Aminah. Sister Aminah has
spent the last 30+ years doing Da'wah and working FisbillAllah, for the sake of Allah. It doesn't pay much in this
world, but according to the Qu'ran, the benefits in the next world are GREAT!

When you go online and google Aminah Assilmi, you will find many books, cds, videos and recordings of her work,
lectures and activities. She does not get a cent from any of these items. Some were recorded and sold by their
producers, in a few cases, she has received some copies that she could sell, but these have always been limited
in number. But by and large, the only person(s) who have made money, are the ones that sell these items.

Sister Aminah also does a lot of lectures and in many cases, she has only gotten her travel and hotels paid for.
Sometimes there is a collection taken and that is how she has made her "living." But then there are other cases.
A community that regularly provides stipends or honorariums to its invited male speakers, gave nothing but thanks
to its invited sister speakers. It is hard to pay the bills that way.
Another problem is that with the downturn in the economy, there are not as many communities that have the
resources to invite speakers and pay them any money at all.

PLEASE HELP!
So here it is my Sisters (and occasional brother reading this), since Sister Aminah
Assilmi won't ask, I will. We need a home for the International Union of Muslim Women,
and we heed a place for Aminah Assilmi to live and continue to do the work that helps
everyone. Please go to the contact us page and send an email. Please mail a donation
to the address at the top of the website. Please try to invite Sister Aminah to give a
speech or lecture to your community or to your local university. (She really is very
good!) And within the next few days, the website administrator (that is me) will have an
e-store in place to let you buy some of her books for which she gets ALL of the money.
Thank you and may Allah Bless you for your efforts.

She died in a car accident on Mar 5 2010.Hope she passed away painlessly.
Is this how we treat our leaders who work for the spread of religion and defend us at talks.This post is just to make you think is it what we have come to ? .

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Aslaamu`alaaykum

Subhaan`Allaah, this almost put me into tears...:(
May Allaah Subhanahu`Wa`tala grant our dear sister in Jannatul Firdaus..Ameen
The effort she put into her life, the lectures, the Dawah she did for the sake of Allaah Allmighty...Indeed Allaah is pleased Indeed...
Jazakallahu khayran sister for the post and also a great reminder
We should have patience and trust in Allaah...May Allaah keep us on the right path..Ameen

Wa`Alaaykum Salaam

cat eyes
04-08-2010, 08:01 PM
what country did she live in bro? may Allah grant her jannah Ameen. that was certainly a test from Allah.

Sawdah
04-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Inna ilahi wa ina ilayhi raji'oon.
Right now, these verses of the Qur'an are repeating in my head :
Surah al Fajr (The Dawn)

28. IrjiAAee ila rabbiki radiyatan mardiyyatan
"Come back to your Lord, Well-pleased (yourself) and well-pleasing (unto Him)!

29. Faodkhulee fee AAibadee
"Enter you, then, among My (honoured) slaves,

30. Waodkhulee jannatee
"And enter you My Paradise!"
InshaAllah, she has returned to Allah swt well-pleased (herself) and well-pleasing (unto Him).
May Allah grant her Jannah al Firdaus. Ameen.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Insaanah
04-08-2010, 08:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
what country did she live in bro? may Allah grant her jannah Ameen. that was certainly a test from Allah.
:sl:

In the US.

Please see first post in this thread for some more information about her life:

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ing-story.html

:sl:

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Edit...Sorry i meant to say Brother...:\

zakirs
04-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Aminah Assilmi (circa 1945- 5 March 2010)[1] was a broadcast journalist and former director of the International Union of Muslim Women. Formerly a Southern Baptist preacher, she converted to Islam in 1977 in college while trying to convert some Muslims to Christianity. As the director of International Union of Muslim Women, she visited campuses discussing Islam.
Assilmi once said, "I am so very glad that I am a Muslim. Islam is my life. Islam is the beat of my heart. Islam is the blood that courses through my veins. Islam is my strength. Islam is my life so wonderful and beautiful. Without Islam I am nothing, and should Allah ever turn His magnificent face from me, I could not survive."
Assilmi was involved in the release of the 2001 Eid stamp, as well as future anniversary editions. She was also involved in creating an educational centre for Muslim converts.

Detailed bio-> http://www.famousmuslims.com/Aminah%20Assilmi.htm

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!