/* */

PDA

View Full Version : fleas

anonymous
04-08-2010, 06:15 PM
This is abit embarrasing to me, but we have fleas in our house. We have no pets but my family was given two armchairs by another family adn we think the fleas may have been in them. My mother has lot of bites on her legs and arms. The other members of the family are fine.
What can we do about the fleas? We don't have money to buy new armchairs and we were happy when the where given to us.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
cat eyes
04-08-2010, 09:20 PM
it sounds more like scabies. you need to get rid of the arm chairs and clean your whole house, hoover and wash down every area you can get cleaning equitment to kill the little bugs and you need the to get the cream for scabies at your local chemist but id advise go doctr first. i know for fact animal flees dont attack humans unless you have really hairy legs or something lol

heres a link about them

http://www.medicinenet.com/scabies/article.htm#

Mind you i could be wrong but you can check whether you have the same symptoms

Hamza Asadullah
04-09-2010, 10:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
This is abit embarrasing to me, but we have fleas in our house. We have no pets but my family was given two armchairs by another family adn we think the fleas may have been in them. My mother has lot of bites on her legs and arms. The other members of the family are fine.
What can we do about the fleas? We don't have money to buy new armchairs and we were happy when the where given to us.
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb,

Vacuuming is the right way to start. Animals are the very common target of fleas as they tend to take rest under sofas, tables, chairs, under cushions near doors and windows. Hence, get your vacuum cleaners to all those hidden areas. Remember to dispose the cleaner bag after vacuuming, since that can affect the clean environment.

After vacuuming, treat the surfaces with Ultracide to kill adult fleas and leave an IGR (insect growth regulator) that will bring an abrupt stop to the flea’s life cycle. A more organic approach will be the RX for fleas. Fogging the inside areas is another process to kill the fleas. But do not depend solely on foggers for killing the fleas, since that may not help you be successful in your mission. You will need at least 3 foggers for the average coverage of your home.

Remember that fleas love to live in cool shaded areas like close to moisture, near to shrubs, under trees, bare areas of the ground and similar cool areas. Hence target those areas. Your dog and cat are the most important part of the battle, since they are mostly covered by fleas. Therefore, make sure that you spray Petcor on you dogs and cats. So keeping them clean is the main part of your task.

Forget those unreliable miracles over the counters like flea collars, flea traps, foggers and much more. Some of the insecticidal soaps available in the pet stores contain 0.01% pyrethrin, which are used on pets, rugs and floors and other places where you will find the flea larvae. The products are useful in killing the fleas by rupturing their skins absorbing oil and moisture. The process ultimately causes dehydration and death of the fleas. Hence, if you know how to kill fleas then it becomes easier for you to destroy them. The citrus oil extracts like d-limonene and linalool kill fleas of all stages and therefore you can say that they are expert in annihilation of the pestering insects. The best thing is that these products can be applied directly to pets or animal bedding.

Many housewives prefer to use Borates, specifically sodium polyborate that is sued in controlling flea larvae. This is available in powdered form which is used on the carpet and then thoroughly vacuumed. This enables a tricky way of knowing how to kill fleas. Some veterinarians may suggest you sodium polyborate formulations for wiping the fleas. The best news is that many pest companies provide this service. Hence, there are a number of ways in controlling the population of fleas in your home. Know the right method and get rid of them very soon.

Easy Ways On How To Get Rid of Fleas In Carpet

If you know how to get rid of fleas in carpet, then you are assured of keeping the most part of your house fleas-free. Fleas are almost microscopic and look like small wingless insects. They can multiply up to 800 million in a matter of five days.

Fleas mainly live on host, but the eggs hatched by them are left on the host and the host's bedding. The eggs that are laid on the host drops down and accumulates on beds, clothes, carpets and the under areas of many furniture. In about one to two weeks, the eggs hatch and larvae is born. These stick to the carpets and bedding for a stretch of 200 days. Gradually the larvae transforms into legless pupae, which remain like that for a whole year. But in case the conditions are favorable then the pupae transforms into fleas.

Fleas on carpet are very pestering

Fleas found on carpets can be very troublesome, if not treated in time. On carpets they are hardly visible and get multiplied with time. Then they get on cats and dogs and the whole house becomes a real mess. Dogs and cats are very much susceptible to its attack, but you cannot deny the concern of carpets at all. If this is your center of concern, then the following tips would help on how to get rid of fleas in carpet.

Knowing the right technique on how to get rid of fleas in carpet

Start by vacuuming the carpets. The process is very effective but you have to follow this method religiously everyday as many times as possible. Underneath upholstered furniture on curtains and drapes are the other most vulnerable areas, which should also be vacuumed at regular interval. After you finish vacuuming, dispose off the bag somewhere far from your house.

How to kill fleas – some other products

The market is deluged with a number of products to help you get rid of fleas and most of them are OTC (over-the-counter) products. Foggers and misters are the most common, which work by spraying flea-killing products in the air. Sprays on the other hand prove to be handier since they can reach the hard- to-reach places easily and kills the pestering fleas. Nonetheless, the different products have different usage, but the main mission is to combat the fleas from populating. But always, make sure that your products have the presence of pesticide and insect growth regulator. Some of the products are expert in taking care of the fleas themselves, whole other are good in taking care of the hatched eggs.

Borax, specialty used powder is an effective household remedy. Sprinkle the powder on the carpet and then leave it for a couple of days. But make sure that you brush the powder with a mop or broom, thus smearing it properly on the carpet. Then vacuum the whole carpet area. But to get your hands on the best product, it is advisable to seek a sound solution from the service centers. This will enable you to solve the big question of how to get rid of fleas in carpet.

Source: http://getridoffleas.org.uk/

Wa Alaikum Asalaamu Wr Wb

anonymous
04-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Thankyou for the advice. I worry that people think we are dirty because we arent. We always keep the house clean and we have never had flees before.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
04-09-2010, 09:46 PM
:sl: I think a steam cleaner would be better than chemicals. Also if you own a vacuum cleaner with a filter don't use any powder that will require vacuuming up. Not all manufacturers warn you about this. My old vac died due to motor failure brought on by high dose of 'shake and vac' carpet freshner blocking the filters. Read the manual first.

You can hire a steam cleaner from tool hire shops. Steam everything!

marwen
04-09-2010, 10:54 PM
I think brothers and sisters above gave good advices. In general,

Bugs are hard to extinct : they have a great ability to survive in the most hardest environments, and sometimes chemicals are useless to get rid of them completely (there is always new eggs that survive). I can add these simple steps I found in that site, may be you can try them :
Instructions
Things You'll Need:

* Vacuum with attachments
* Flea treatment for your pet
* Salt
* Empty spray bottle
* Cedar wood oil
* Lavender oil
* Water

1. Step 1
Begin vacuuming your furniture. Take any cushions off of your furniture and vacuum them. Then stick the vacuum hose in the cracks and vacuum all the way around the furniture.

2. Step 2
Shake salt all around the room where your furniture is. Leave it there overnight so that it kills any fleas that were on the floor. The salt damages the skeleton of the flea and then it dehydrates. If you don't do this, the fleas will just re-infest the furniture. When you wake up in the morning you can vacuum up all of the salt.

3. Step 3
Fill an empty spray bottle 90% of the way with warm water. Then add five drops of lavender oil and five drops of cedar oil. Spray your furniture with this mixture. Fleas don't like the scent so they will stay away from it. The spray is all natural and won't harm your furniture. Plus it is safe to use around children and pets. You can even spray it on your pet as a homemade flea spray.

4. Step 4
Treat your pet for fleas. If you don't, the pet will jump on the furniture and get new fleas on it that will multiply and cause a new infestation. You can get a flea treatment from your vet or use an over-the-counter flea treatment.

If that doesn't work, try to use a nuclear bomb.
hahaha Just Kidding!

glo
04-16-2010, 09:14 PM
I sometimes wonder about fleas when I visit people (in my job) who live in squalid conditions and have pets.

Is there any soap or anything I can use as a rinse in the shower (for myself) or in the washing machine (for my clothes) to prevent fleas from jumping on me?

I would be most interested to hear about any natural methods (such as essential oils).

جوري
04-16-2010, 09:37 PM
cedar wood is excellent for any kind of nasty bugs.. and I love buying mine from ebay this particular company offer three different brands of cedars..

http://shop.ebay.com/somethingcedar/...&_trksid=p4340

without a host fleas live a very short life.. so I recommend you call some exterminators and have them spray your entire house if you can stay with relatives for 8 days?.. chances are they are entering from somewhere and you aren't quite sure what it is and clean all your linens and clothes with high temp water.. and spray your bedding ....

May Allah swt make this easy on you..

:w:

p.s
Fleas, but no pets?
Buildings sometimes become infested with fleas even when there are no pets around. Other animals such as bats, roof rats, squirrels, raccoons, and wild dogs and cats commonly nest in structures and may be the source of an infestation. An experienced pest control company can treat for fleas and seal openings through which wildlife may enter your home.

http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/l-1738.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!